You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016

1235»

Comments

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016:
    Just a Heads Up that the HUFA Cup is back. Can I put you down for a defence of the presenter/analyst last longer bragging rights this year?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Hi Phantom,

Of course. Stick me down and let me know when the draw's been made and I'll head over to your thread and take it from there.

Make sure you get Tikay and Neil involved so I can do the double on them :-)
  • edited October 2016

I have Orford on "IGNORE", so I can't see any of the tosh he writes.

I had to spend all Tuesday evening with him. How bad do I run?

• edited October 2016

Unless Aussiescope has made a massive misprint, congrats on the 10.30 BH bink last night mate. You know it is the rules that you have to post after a win right? (copyright - TommyD). Well done anyway. How are the figures looking now, or should I not ask?
  • edited October 2016
    Unless Aussiescope has made a massive misprint, congrats on the 10.30 BH bink last night mate. You know it is the rules that you have to post after a win right? (copyright - TommyD). Well done anyway. How are the figures looking now, or should I not ask?
    Posted by MAXALLY

Thanks for noticing Alan, and thanks Aussie- cheques in the post as usual ;-)

Yes, I must be slipping. I think this is the first time in my life I haven't posted after cashing big in one of the major nightly tournaments. I wish I could say something like, "I win so often now that it’s getting a bit routine and no-one wants me to post about it", but we all know that’s hogwash and it's really more a case of it being late last night when I finished and then forgetting today.

Figures are looking better; it's now bounced back up to ‘semi-failure’ rather ‘epic cataclysmic failure’.

Funny thing is I feel really confident when I play these days, even though obvs I eventually get knocked out of the majority of my tournaments like anyone else. I have a different mind-set than I used to have, which was to hang on and try and squeak into the cash. Now I’m all out for the win and much more aggressive.

It's also rare now that I make an obvious text book 'mistake', it's most likely I will go out of a tournament on a flip or having got my money in good first and getting a bad beat.

Seem to be running along the lines of a big tournament cash every 20 games or so.

Bankroll management still a mare though, although I’ve finally started getting into satellites properly rather than pay full-whack which was always messing my BR up.

How’s it going for you?

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016 : Thanks for noticing Alan, and thanks Aussie- cheques in the post as usual ;-)   Yes, I must be slipping. I think this is the first time in my life I haven't posted after cashing big inone of the major nightly tournaments. I wish I could say something like, "I win so often now that it’s getting a bit routine and no-one wants me to post about it", but we all know that’s hogwash and it's really more a case of it being late last night when I finished and then forgetting today.   Figures are looking better; it's now bounced back up to ‘semi-failure’ rather ‘epic cataclysmic failure’.   Funny thing is I feel really confident when I play these days, even though obvs I eventually get knocked out of the majority of my tournaments like anyone else. I have a different mind-set than I used to have, which was to hang on and try and squeak into the cash. Now I’m all out for the win and much more aggressive.   It's also rare now that I make an obvious text book 'mistake', it's most likely I will go out of a tournament on a flip or having got my money in good first and getting a bad beat.   Seem to be running along the lines of a big tournament cash every 20 games or so. Bankroll management still a mare though, although I’ve finally started getting into satellites properly rather than pay full-whack which was always messing my BR up.   How’s it going for you?
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Steady. Looking forward to UKOPS (both Main week and Mini week).

I have just finished my letter to Santa asking for one of them boom switches for Xmas. You know, the ones that let certain players on here hold when massively in front or get there if massively behind ;).

Satellites are a no brainer if you want to help control your BR. There is even a case to buy in direct to the target tournament, if you are going to play it anyway, and still try a couple sats too. You didn't hear that from me though...right? ;);)

Good luck mate, I enjoy following your progress/improvement on here.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016 : Steady. Looking forward to UKOPS (both Main week and Mini week). I have just finished my letter to Santa asking for one of them boom switches for Xmas. You know, the ones that let certain players on here hold when massively in front or get there if massively behind ;). Satellites are a no brainer if you want to help control your BR. There is even a case to buy in direct to the target tournament, if you are going to play it anyway, and still try a couple sats too. You didn't hear that from me though...right? ;);) Good luck mate, I enjoy following your progress/improvement on here.
    Posted by MAXALLY

Cheers mate, all good advice.

Will probably give the Sunday Major another go this week. Easily satellited into it this week and it was as if I'd used up all my run good on the satellite as the actual event ended in disappointment.

That's one MTT I wouldn't say no to taking down. One time, as they say...

GLGL :-)
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016 : Thanks for noticing Alan, and thanks Aussie- cheques in the post as usual ;-)   Yes, I must be slipping. I think this is the first time in my life I haven't posted after cashing big in one of the major nightly tournaments. I wish I could say something like, "I win so often now that it’s getting a bit routine and no-one wants me to post about it", but we all know that’s hogwash and it's really more a case of it being late last night when I finished and then forgetting today.   Figures are looking better; it's now bounced back up to ‘semi-failure’ rather ‘epic cataclysmic failure’.   Funny thing is I feel really confident when I play these days, even though obvs I eventually get knocked out of the majority of my tournaments like anyone else. I have a different mind-set than I used to have, which was to hang on and try and squeak into the cash. Now I’m all out for the win and much more aggressive.   It's also rare now that I make an obvious text book 'mistake', it's most likely I will go out of a tournament on a flip or having got my money in good first and getting a bad beat.   Seem to be running along the lines of a big tournament cash every 20 games or so. Bankroll management still a mare though, although I’ve finally started getting into satellites properly rather than pay full-whack which was always messing my BR up.   How’s it going for you?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    i'm delighted for you rich. 

what's more, that feeling has been replicated often in 2017.

grrrrrr.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016 : i'm delighted for you rich.  what's more, that feeling has been replicated often in 2017. grrrrrr.
    Posted by aussie09
    Cheers sir. 

So what else do I need to do now to get to the top of the Aussie Charts?

Win The Sunday Major plus a couple of 9pm Bounty Hunters in the next 7 days? Something simple like that?

;-)
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: The (imaginatively titled) Orford Poker Journal 2016 : Hi Phantom, Of course. Stick me down and let me know when the draw's been made and I'll head over to your thread and take it from there. Make sure you get Tikay and Neil involved so I can do the double on them :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Draw is on the forum and youtube.

No spoilers but you will be hard pushed to beat Neil this year as he has a bye to the super challenge cup final. All you have to do is win the HUFA cup, then beat Neil. No pressure.

• edited December 2016
    Hope that you are sticking around the site and the forum Rich?

If so bbMike is looking to play your HUFA match.