You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face??

edited February 2016 in Poker Chat
Hi

I'm really hoping that I'm reading this wrong - but is there really a freeroll game for new players to Sky which is paying out over £8000 in prizes??  To be eligible you have to be a new player to sky between 18th Jan and 24th??  Top 6 players will each receive a free seat to the £1100 UKPC event in DTD in Feb?  In addition to the 6 seats there is also a £2000 prize pool?

Really sorry Sky - but I think this is a massive kick in the teeth to regular players on Sky.  I've been busting a gut - alongside some others - trying to get to priority this month so as to be able to enter the game for 2 seats to Notts which is due to run in February - but in reality new players who joined in that week have 6 chances to get a UKPC seat?

Or am I the only person who is feeling a bit hacked off?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    There's no option for "Fantastic - I think new players should be rewarded more than regulars" which is what I would have clicked. 

But ja, it is important for Sky to find some kind of balance between rewarding new players, recreational players and regular players - whether they do this successfully or not, idk. 
  • edited January 2016
    Lets be honest though, they arent new players they are just old ones creating new ids.

Ger
  • edited January 2016
    If someone has gone through the long and arduous process of creating a secret second identity to be able freeroll into a live event then as far as i am concerned they deserve their place.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face??:
    Lets be honest though, they arent new players they are just old ones creating new ids. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Totally agree with Ger and what Percival said too.
  • edited January 2016
    While I'm sure some guys are going to create new accounts to exploit an offer like this, I don't think it offsets the need for Sky to reward new players. Personally, I think the number of players exploiting the offer is smaller than people might think (altho there's no way to prove this) - and besides, what are Sky going to do about it? Not reward new players because there are a few money-grabbing, unethical guys around who can't miss any opportunity to win a few quid? 
  • edited January 2016

Quiz:

Anyone want to guess how many UKPC seats Sky Poker have awarded to EXISTING players in Freerolls & Promos?
  • edited January 2016
    If someone has gone through the long and arduous process of creating a secret second identity to be able freeroll into a live event then as far as i am concerned they deserve their place.
    Posted by jordz16
    Good luck them trying to gain entry to the UKPC in Nottingham, where Photo ID will be required.
  • edited January 2016

I saw that freeroll earlier and thought how great it must be if you had registered your account in that week.... plus when I looked there were only 10 players registered..great value if it doesn't get many more runners.

ultimately its their business and they can promote it how they see fit... we as customers in my view can vote by choosing where we spend our cash.

I think i read somewhere they are giving away 8 seats to the top 8 point earners this month I'm guessing no one (or very few) people who registered that week would get anywhere near the volume to fit this critera.... all helps bring in new people to the game & site which can only be a good thing....

an old saying springs to mind - you can't please all of the people all of the time...

let the new recruits enjoy the fab promotion they have available to them... no dount there will be something along shortly that allows those who weren't fortunate enough to register their account in that week a chance to get to the ukpc without forking out £1100...

gl at the tables all... but lets not have another whinge at what is probably the carlsberg of poker sites.....

• edited January 2016
    Quiz: Anyone want to guess how many UKPC seats Sky Poker have awarded to EXISTING players in Freerolls & Promos?
    Posted by Tikay10
    If the question is how many actual £1100 seats have been directly awarded to existing players via freerolls then I'm guessing not many as most freerolls seemed to award seats to either the semi finals or finals on the Sunday night.  The freeroll for the new registered players guarantees 6 actual £1100 seats without the need to play any addtional playoffs.

I hold my hands up and admit that I'm feeling very jealous of the odds that these players have of getting a free UKPC seat.  So far there are only 10 entries so they have currently have better than a 50/50 chance of winning.  Compare that to the odds of winning a "normal" high entry sky freeroll.  And yes - I do know that jealousy is one of the deadly sins :)

Anyways - enough from me.  I'll go have a cup of tea as I'm sure tea cures all things amiss in my little world.

• edited January 2016
    If your really upset you could start a post on facebook about it as well as on the forum, that'll really make you feel better.

i imagine the amount of seats given to regs is fairly substantial there's 8 in the rake race, 2 in the prio Fr next month (although i believe i seen them say they may be increasing this to 3) one for every billionth hand up to 1 billion so there's another 10 (potentially 15 depending on the table at which the billionth hand is dealt) .  i believe for a while the daily Fr's were also directly giving seats to ukpc but im unsure as to how many were given so ill estimate at 20. 

theres still a month ish to the event aswell so i imagine more seats will be given away. im gonna put a very conservative estimate at 70 seats given out, 

your right though its outrageous giving 6 seats away to try and bring new players and more money to the site, how dare they

this ones for you toby, not sure what catergory i fall into though i assume its  A*** licker
  • edited January 2016
    and while you say some of the seats in the FR may have only been to the semis or finals, giving 5 final seats away is the same as giving a UKPC seat away...
  • edited January 2016
    I dont have any of the facts or the time to work it out so im speaking more generally,
    but i think the real issue is that if sky gave away 40k in seats across all regular players on the site then nearly everyone would be happy...
    If sky chose to give away 50k in seats across all regular players and a further 10k to new players/vegas players/bingo players etc then their would be complaints that people feel hard done by,

we all struggle to see the big picture sometimes.
  • edited January 2016

Looking at the qualifying list and prize money, I felt a pangs of envy, jealousy , greed.

These feelings are still with me, ill need a few sleeps, I know me, ill get over it.

I clicked not bothered.

Jealous yes, bothered NO.
  • edited January 2016
    Just wanted to point out a couple of things to balance this.

By the time the UKPC begins, Mark who is the marketing brains of Sky Poker will have given away a UKPC seat in 30 rewards freerolls. On top of that he will have given away up to 20 seats in the Billionth Hand promotion. JP is giving away 10 seats to priority players and we are qualifying 130 players in satellites. These are all to existing customers.

Acquisition have spent a lot of money on increasing the numbers of new players coming through the door which is why you may feel this offer is overly generous. But without new players the poker world and skypoker.com would not survive.

And don't worry all new accounts are checked thoroughly and if there is anything we don't like we close them. Rest assured if Margaret, 46 from Chelmsford wins a seat through one of these new player freerolls that is exactly who will be in Nottingham in February.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : If the question is how many actual £1100 seats have been directly awarded to existing players via freerolls then I'm guessing not many as most freerolls seemed to award seats to either the semi finals or finals on the Sunday night.  The freeroll for the new registered players guarantees 6 actual £1100 seats without the need to play any addtional playoffs. I hold my hands up and admit that I'm feeling very jealous of the odds that these players have of getting a free UKPC seat.  So far there are only 10 entries so they have currently have better than a 50/50 chance of winning.  Compare that to the odds of winning a "normal" high entry sky freeroll.  And yes - I do know that jealousy is one of the deadly sins :) Anyways - enough from me.  I'll go have a cup of tea as I'm sure tea cures all things amiss in my little world.
    Posted by IrishRose
    Hi Rose,

The question was "Freerolls & Promotions".

The correct answer is hard to calculate without going through reams of stuff, but it's around 60 x £1,100 UKPC Seats (value £66,000) to EXISTING players. I don't think it's correct to say that is "not many".

I can't think of any site which gives away a bigger % of gross margin via Freerolls & Promos than Sky Poker, & it tries very hard to look after everyone, including the "fun" players. Do you really think that thread title is fair? To me, £66,000 (approx.) is a lot of value in any language. There are also regular, free to enter Forum Competitions, at least one every week, & different Promos every month. This week alone is "double everything" & the MTT Main Event overlays have been enormous.  

There are definitely plenty of things on Sky Poker that could do with improving - the software niggles are certainly amongst them, as is this Forum software, which is hardly state of the art. Looking after the regular players with Promos & Freerolls is not something that will get better than it is, though, it's as good as it reasonably can be.

The value to new sign-ups is definitely very good indeed - it needs to be - but personally, what someone else gets, relative to me, is none of my business.  

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : If the question is how many actual £1100 seats have been directly awarded to existing players via freerolls then I'm guessing not many as most freerolls seemed to award seats to either the semi finals or finals on the Sunday night.  The freeroll for the new registered players guarantees 6 actual £1100 seats without the need to play any addtional playoffs. I hold my hands up and admit that I'm feeling very jealous of the odds that these players have of getting a free UKPC seat.  So far there are only 10 entries so they have currently have better than a 50/50 chance of winning.  Compare that to the odds of winning a "normal" high entry sky freeroll.  And yes - I do know that jealousy is one of the deadly sins :) Anyways - enough from me.  I'll go have a cup of tea as I'm sure tea cures all things amiss in my little world.
    Posted by IrishRose
    Why on Earth would you want to go to a Beer soaked Venue full of Fat Men passing Smelly wind, telling rude jokes and undressing the girls with their eye's ............?     Ah!    to win money.?

• edited January 2016

By a curious trick of timing, I wrote a blog last week which mentioned the most frequent form of complaints in Online Poker.

That blog is HERE

Funny old game.

• edited January 2016

A quick word about the mentions of potential multi-accounting.

It IS a PITA, & it does happen, but lay the blame for that at the cheats who try it. 

Right across SB&G, with so many various Promos, people try all sorts to gain unfair advantage. SB&G employ a team to try to combat this, but it's deffo a headache, though it's hardly fair to blame the site for it, we should blame those who do it.

Were it not for these people, trying to beat the system, more money could be invested in Promos, & better Promos, as there is a constraint on what can be offered due to the cheats.

If you suspect multi-accounting, please inform CC, or contact Sky Poker privately. Do not put it on the Forum, please, as many allegations are untrue, & we should not accuse players lightly.

As to a M-A trying to play the UKPC, all new accounts will be vetted, & photo ID, & other security precautions, are in place at DTD to combat this.
  • edited January 2016
    A quick word about the mentions of potential multi-accounting. It IS a PITA, & it does happen, but lay the blame for that at the cheats who try it.  Right across SB&G, with so many various Promos, people try all sorts to gain unfair advantage. SB&G employ a team to try to combat this, but it's deffo a headache, though it's hardly fair to blame the site for it, we should blame those who do it. Were it not for these people, trying to beat the system, more money could be invested in Promos, & better Promos, as there is a constraint on what can be offered due to the cheats.   If you suspect multi-accounting, please inform CC, or contact Sky Poker privately. Do not put it on the Forum, please, as many allegations are untrue, & we should not accuse players lightly.   As to a M-A trying to play the UKPC, all new accounts will be vetted, & photo ID, & other security precautions, are in place at DTD to combat this.
    Posted by Tikay10

A lot of gaming sites now require ID before customers can make a withdrawal (Passport, driving license and proof of address). I know everyone doesn,t have all these but couldn,t the SB+G team request at least 1 of these for all new customers? It wouldn,t could it out altogethor but would certainly reduce multi-accounting

P
  • edited January 2016
    I think it makes sense to offer something to get new players to join. The more people who play means the more money sky get which means the better the promotions they can offer for us in the future. Seeing as its going to need 1000 entrants to get to its guarantee it seems like a reasonable decision and a good incentive for new players. Also sky have done a lot of seat giveaways via freerolls/ billionth hand so its good to see new players get a chance, hopefully some of them stay
  • edited January 2016
    Quiz: Anyone want to guess how many UKPC seats Sky Poker have awarded to EXISTING players in Freerolls & Promos?
    Posted by Tikay10

In!
    However, if the prize is a seat at the UKPC, then please withdraw my submission.
    Unless,  if SKY arranged for me to be carried there piggybag by your goodself, whilst stopping every mile to feed me peeled grapes, whilst I charm you with some interesting facts.

ps.Interesting fact #23,119
    An average Ostrich egg contains more calories than the average family sized Christmas Turkey.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : In! 299007 However, if the prize is a seat at the UKPC, then please withdraw my submission. Unless,  if SKY arranged for me to be carried there piggybag by your goodself, whilst stopping every mile to feed me peeled grapes, whilst I charm you with some interesting facts. ps.Interesting fact #23,119 An average Ostrich egg contains more calories than the average family sized Christmas Turkey.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Interesting fact #23,120 An average Ostrich egg contains an Ostrich

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : Interesting fact #23,120 An average Ostrich egg contains an Ostrich  
    Posted by aussie09
    That is almost certainly wrong if we are talking about the arithmetic mean.

I have no idea what the correct answer is though.

Is it possible to have double yolks? In which case it could be 1.001

As Ostrich eggs are farmed then I also assume you can get unfertilised eggs so the answer could be 0.1, 0.998 but it won't be 1
  • edited January 2016

it was humour

ps, whether you take average to be the mean, median or mode, there are fewer farmed ostrich eggs

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : That is almost certainly wrong if we are talking about the arithmetic mean. I have no idea what the correct answer is though. Is it possible to have double yolks? In which case it could be 1.001 As Ostrich eggs are farmed then I also assume you can get unfertilised eggs so the answer could be 0.1, 0.998 but it won't be 1
    Posted by Phantom66
    The mean will not be 1-but the median will be....
  • edited January 2016
    So basically you're saying its more of a "yoke" than a "joke"?
  • edited January 2016

an average ostrich egg will contain exactly one ostrich, whereas an ostrich egg contans on average less than one ostrich

• edited January 2016
    it was humour ps, whether you take average to be the mean, median or mode, there are fewer farmed ostrich eggs
    Posted by aussie09
    So was mine.

Not great humour. Average at best,
  • edited January 2016
    Its A JOKE TBH
  • edited January 2016
    Lets be honest though, they arent new players they are just old ones creating new ids. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    All I ever see you post about is your obsession with multi-accounters. Why do you assume the worst in people?