You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face??

13»

Comments

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face??:
    i was thinking the same !rishrose and i think tikay maybe missing the point! i think it would be a good idea to do some freerolls for the regulars to use up the useless points we have all have accumulated  maybe 10,000 points to enter , insuring that the players puting in the hours and rake to the house get a bit back! i also think players already quilified should not be able to enter future freerolls and satalittes , giving other players more of a  chance and guaranteeing more players at the events 
    Posted by AKAscotty
    Way to bring up 2 points that have already been discussed to death.
  • edited February 2016
    This is standard business practice to offer deals to potential new customers. If I got upset at the SKY TV package deals available to new customers, I would be permanently upset and as for DFS sales....... We all have the option of a deal when we join (think I got £10) but deals to new customers don't take anything from me. It just increases the businesses sustainability. I suppose it is human nature to be jealous when someone gets something that we don't but I learnt many years ago that negative emotions only make me feel worse.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    I agree partly with the sentiment but the analogy is completely wrong.If you found others paying less for the tv package, You ask for the same and when they say no, you quit. Next day retention team will call and offer same. They do not want to lose existing valuable customers. Someone made the case of monetary value of a new customer over a prolonged period. An equal case could be made of dissatisfied valuable customers leaving.

From a business perspective its absolutely correct that if there is to be an overlay to a guarantee then this is the way to use that money. As Tikay says its a question of balance, in this case its lopsided. Would you be happy paying £70 a month for tv package and neighbour gets it for £10 a month. If virgin offered you same package £10 a month how loyal would you be to sky

The only thing that has happened is marketing were probably hoping for 600 new players and ended up with only 60.Ironically, this thread will probably do a better job of marketing. How many will tell friend and family to join ?

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a joke?? Or just a slap in the face?? : I agree partly with the sentiment but the analogy is completely wrong.If you found others paying less for the tv package, You ask for the same and when they say no, you quit. Next day retention team will call and offer same. They do not want to lose existing valuable customers. Someone made the case of monetary value of a new customer over a prolonged period. An equal case could be made of dissatisfied valuable customers leaving. From a business perspective its absolutely correct that if there is to be an overlay to a guarantee then this is the way to use that money. As Tikay says its a question of balance, in this case its lopsided. Would you be happy paying £70 a month for tv package and neighbour gets it for £10 a month. If virgin offered you same package £10 a month how loyal would you be to sky The only thing that has happened is marketing were probably hoping for 600 new players and ended up with only 60.Ironically, this thread will probably do a better job of marketing. How many will tell friend and family to join ?
    Posted by CxE1
    Not sure your analogy is fair.

This is a sign-up bonus, the £xxx M&S vouchers that people used to (still do?) receive when they first sign-up for Sky.

You couldn't keep threatening to leave every month and have them send you more M&S vouchers in perpetuity.

The ongoing monthly rental cost (£70 seems cheap these days with the Sky package!) is equivalent to the rake (which is the same for all) and rewards (points*, freerolls, other promos).  Aka new sign-ups and loyal players 'pay' the same rate.

* before anyone calls me up on this, I accept some may be on affiliate rakeback deals that pay better than the standard points rewards... although when a bunch of people did moan about this, Sky Poker seemingly attempted to change things to make a fairer playing field... akin to the Sky TV analogy I suppose...

ps I hope all these new sign-ups attracted by such offers are generous enough to share the wealth by being inexperienced players that we can play, instead of sitting at reg-infested games all day long :)
  • edited February 2016
    This is standard business practice to offer deals to potential new customers. If I got upset at the SKY TV package deals available to new customers, I would be permanently upset and as for DFS sales....... We all have the option of a deal when we join (think I got £10) but deals to new customers don't take anything from me. It just increases the businesses sustainability. I suppose it is human nature to be jealous when someone gets something that we don't but I learnt many years ago that negative emotions only make me feel worse.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    I agree partly with the sentiment but the analogy is completely wrong.If you found others paying less for the tv package, You ask for the same and when they say no, you quit. Next day retention team will call and offer same. They do not want to lose existing valuable customers. Someone made the case of monetary value of a new customer over a prolonged period. An equal case could be made of dissatisfied valuable customers leaving.

From a business perspective its absolutely correct that if there is to be an overlay to a guarantee then this is the way to use that money. As Tikay says its a question of balance, in this case its lopsided. Would you be happy paying £70 a month for tv package and neighbour gets it for £10 a month. If virgin offered you same package £10 a month how loyal would you be to sky

The only thing that has happened is marketing were probably hoping for 600 new players and ended up with only 60.Ironically, this thread will probably do a better job of marketing. How many will tell friend and family to join ?

• edited February 2016
    Shakinaces, Your last point is so true. Half the time i dont play cash games for that reason. Im already qualified for ukpc so makes no particular difference to me. A few feel a little aggrieved and their gripe is not totally without merit
  • edited February 2016
    According to pokersuperhero website there has been over 1300 new players join since january 1 

maybe Sky and the marketing team do know what there doing !

but still think some big points freerolls would not go a miss!
  • edited February 2016
    I think we should do away with having to pay for mtts entirely.
    More freerolls please