You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The WSOP 2016 Thread

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Wow, Kaassouf is third with 27 millsky... Go Go Go.
  • edited July 2016
    I am not a fan of "Trash Talk", this isn't MMA or heavyweight boxing. Not needed in what is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit as opposed to a physical confrontation.

Here is how to get a winning overpair to fold on the river, with class and without shouting at anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boD1cbSQQAw

I hope we can all agree that carrying on after the floor manager and TD intervened and gave warnings was wrong, whether we are pro or anti this level of table talk. They ruled he crossed a line which is good enough for me. given the size of the pot won it seems the punishment does not fit the crime.

Perhaps we should start a new thread? Derailing Barny's excellent work here.

PS Still rooting for Team GB whatever I may think of that hand.

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: The WSOP 2016 Thread:
    I am not a fan of "Trash Talk", this isn't MMA or heavyweight boxing. Not needed in what is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit as opposed to a physical confrontation. Here is how to get a winning overpair to fold on the river, with class and without shouting at anyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boD1cbSQQAw I hope we can all agree that carrying on after the floor manager and TD intervened and gave warnings was wrong, whether we are pro or anti this level of table talk. They ruled he crossed a line which is good enough for me. given the size of the pot won it seems the punishment does not fit the crime.
    Posted by Phantom66
    I'm not sure if i read the same transcript as everyone else, but he simply told her to "fold her hand, in front of the cameras etc. It was heads up where friendly speech play is allowed, their was no indictation he was shouting at her or being aggressive. (if you knew the guy you'd know he smiles when he does it) Maybe she became intimidated - or a better word "nervous" but is this a case of men i.e. TD trying to protect a woman? What is he allowed to say? If we arent careful poker will be like football where everythings a ban. The same rules should apply to each player, Jamie Gold was aloud to do it, so I dont see why Kassouf shouldnt be able too. We dont have to like it. If he said the same thing to Phil Ivey, I dont think he would of got rattled like this lady did. If he was aggressive, or shouting then yes I think he should of got a serious penalty. Interesting topic, just my 2 cents worth.
  • edited July 2016
    Second break, and we still have 22 left

Andrew Christoforou was finally involved in a notable and and it ended with him doubling up through Kakwan Lau. This leaves him in 10th spot. The hand was odd because both players revealed their hands on the turn despite Christoforou still having 320K chips behind. The floor and both players agreed to treat the situation as an "all in" and the hand played out, Lau was penalised one and for prematurely revealing his cards.

It's been a good level for Will Kassouf, he has now moved into third but still a long way behind chip leader Michael Ruane with Cliff Josephy (the only previous bracelet holder left) in between the two. So far Kassouf has had the clock called on him at least twice.

Tom Marchese is on an upward trend, now lying in 6th spot while James Obst is heading in the opposite direction, down from a healthy position overnight to 19th of the 22. One of the player below the Aussie is Matt Moss who seems to have had no luck at all so far on Day 7.
  • edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: The WSOP 2016 Thread : The same rules should apply to each player, Jamie Gold was aloud to do it, so I dont see why Kassouf shouldnt be able too. We dont have to like it. If he said the same thing to Phil Ivey, I dont think he would of got rattled like this lady did. If he was aggressive, or shouting then yes I think he should of got a serious penalty. Interesting topic, just my 2 cents worth.
    Posted by devil_tear
    Severe new rules about "table talk" were introduced after Jamie Gold's year. They have been loosened again somewhat since.
  • edited July 2016
    I am not a fan of "Trash Talk", this isn't MMA or heavyweight boxing. Not needed in what is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit as opposed to a physical confrontation. Here is how to get a winning overpair to fold on the river, with class and without shouting at anyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boD1cbSQQAw I hope we can all agree that carrying on after the floor manager and TD intervened and gave warnings was wrong, whether we are pro or anti this level of table talk. They ruled he crossed a line which is good enough for me. given the size of the pot won it seems the punishment does not fit the crime. Perhaps we should start a new thread? Derailing Barny's excellent work here. PS Still rooting for Team GB whatever I may think of that hand.
    Posted by Phantom66

Great cllip with the good old DevilFish.

I respect everyone's views and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Probably said all I want to on it now, and agree, we should let Barney get on with what is an outstanding thread!
  • edited July 2016
    @devil_tear, I don't "know" the guy no, although I did look up some other clips before commenting. 

The floor manager and TD were not reading a transcript and they deemed it worth warnings and a penalty. I am sure we will get to see the clip soon enough and be able to judge for ourselves. 

I too have nothing further to say on it (until the new thread when the video is out)

• edited July 2016
    I think a transcript is somewhat useless; more often than not it is how things are said as opposed to what is actually said (obv this doesn't apply to outright swearing or abuse and a transcript would at least highlight that).

Is there an argument that the situation could be manipulated by the other player in the hand? Not saying its the case here but food for thought.

• edited July 2016
    Bonus 02:15 update

We're down to the final 2 tables with 18 players left

22. Jeff Hakim. The Lebanese player had been quite quiet but went out wiith a bang. After having a 3-bet called by Fernando Pons pre-flop, both players checked a flop of AA8 with 2 hearts. The 5 of diamonds on the turn, Pons bet half pot, Hakim called. The Jack of hearts completed the board, Pons made a large bet, Hakim moved all in for not much more and was quickly called. Hakim showed trip aces which was not good enough as Pons had KQ of hearts for the nut flush.

21. Matthew Moss. The British contingent dropped to 2 as Moss, who had never threatend the upper echelons of the chip counts on Day 7 went out. He was a victim of Jared Bleznick's pocket aces when an open ended straight draw never got there. To complete a theme I had going all Series, Moss was the last chance for an alliteratively named player to win the ME.

20. Kakwat Lau. The final Asian player had been one of the big stacks at one point before tangling with Andrew Christoforou but had dribbled down to 10BB. He shoved from the cutoff with pocket 2s and was acccomodated by Vojtech Ruzicka who had A10. Two more tens on the flop were more than enough for Ruzicka to add all Lau's chips to his and to eliminate Lau.

19. Thomas Miller. In TM v TM action, Miller was eliminated just before the dinner break. Pons opened for 700K, Miller went over the top all in for 5.8m from the Small Blind with KJ and Tom Marchese 4-bet with AQ, Pons getting out of the way. Miller went ahead on a King-high flop but an Ace on the turn flipped things around and the river was a blank.

Dinner Break has now been taken with the redraw to two tables and we'll come back for Level 34, 200K/400K with a 50K ante

Approximate chip counts
    Main Table
    Seat 1: William Kassouf 22.6m
    Seat 2: Michael Niwinski  8.9m
    Seat 3: John Cynn 11.2m
    Seat 4: Andrew Christoforou 8.1m 
    Seat 5: Joshua Weiss  11m
    Seat 6: Jerry Wong 22.4m
    Seat 7: Griffin Benger 17.4m
    Seat 8: Fernando Pons  27.5m
    Seat 9: Gordon Vayo 6.5m Table 2
    Seat 1: Vojtech Ruzicka  30.7m
    Seat 2: Michael Ruane  35.1m
    Seat 3: James Obst  5.1m
    Seat 4: Mike Shin 21.2m
    Seat 5: Qui Nguyen 17.8m
    Seat 6: Tom Marchese  19.2m
    Seat 7: Jared Bleznick 6.8m 
    Seat 8: Kenny Hallaert  25.7m
    Seat 9: Cliff Josephy 41.6m
  • edited July 2016
    Down to the "unoffical" final table and the October 9 bubble.

No spoilers - I'll leave the commentary update to Barny.
  • edited July 2016
    Ok, so I wake up expecting play to be still going on and at least one and hoepfully two British players to be fighting for a spot in the November Nine. Well at least I got the first bit right as I type there are still 10 players left and we're one elimination way from the final table being set.

As for the second half, not so good

Half a dozen hands after the dinner break

18. Andrew Christoforou. With blinds at 200K/400K, Gordon Vayo opens top 900K. Will Kassouf calls and the action get to Christoforou who shoves his last 7m. Vayo re-shoves 13m and Kassouf realises he is not in a good spot an folds. The Brit has A8 suited but Vayo has pocket aces. The flop comes Q64 and with a turn of a K that's it for Christoforou before the river is even dealt. He takes home $338K

17. Seven hands later we lose the final GB player, Will Kassouf. In a hand full of verbals (there's a surprise) Griffin Benger raised. Kassouf 3-bet, Benger countered with a 4-bet before after a long dwellage Kassouf 5-bet shoved. Benger quickly called and he too had the aces, Kassouf the Kings. The flop comes out 10-high and neither the turn and river help Kassouf and the 27million pot slides over to the Canadian. No Brit at the final table again this year.

16. On the other table, Jared Bleznick was knocked out by Kenny Hallaert. Bleznick's K10 took the lead on the flop with a 10 but the Belgian's AJ went back in front as a Jack came on the turn.
  • edited July 2016
    With a pay jump to $427K at 15 players, we then lost the next two in successive hands on Table 2

14. Tom Marchese. Both Marchese and Qui Nguyen had clubs - Marchese the J10 and Nguyen the AK. You can probably guess what happened next - a back door flush comes, Marchese shoves and it probably took Nguyen less than a millisecond to call. Result - he goes over 100 BB and Marchese departs stage left.

13. James Obst had started the day in great shape but had been drifting downwards until here when he had about 11BB left. He shoved with pocket fives but Nguyen used some of his newly increased stack to call when he found pocket tens. The board was all low, Obst did have a straight draw on the river but it never materialised and the Aussie leaves with his 8th cash of the series

12. It took only five more ands before the one-man demolition man Qui Nguyen to do it again. He had to think a little about this one though. It was the last hand before a break and a three-man hand between Vojtech Ruzicka, Mike Shin and Nguyen. Shin 4-bet jammed for 14m, and it took several minutes for Nguyen to call, and a second or two for Ruzicka to fold. Shin had AK, Nguyen pocket Queens and Shin never found any card to help him, in fact to emphaise the win, Nguyen setted up on the river.

Hand-for-hand play started at 11 players after the organisers deemed that too much stalling was going on, and they also removed the option for players to call the clock, the floor would do that if necessary.

11th place was worth $650K and with the November Nine so close it was getting very tense.

11. Gordon Vayo had been picking up a number of small and medium sized pots to the point where he was probably second in chips to Nguyen. John Cynn on the other hand hadn't won a hand in a while. He was down to 4m chips and pushed them all over the line from middle position, Vayo called from the Big Blind. To increase the tension they had to wait for the action on the other table to complete before turning their hands over, Cynn had two live cards with  Q10 against Vayo's KJ. The flop left us more or less where we were - KQ3 gave both players a pair but Vayo still in front. Neither an Ace on the turn or a 6 on the river was any help and Cynn was out of there.
  • edited July 2016
    I seem to have missed out

15. Michael Niwinski

I'll try and find out the details later
  • edited July 2016
    Entering the unofficial FT

Seat 1: Joshua Weiss - 3,700,000 (7 bb)
    Seat 2: Griffin Benger - 38,825,000 (77 bb)
    Seat 3: Vojtech Ruzicka - 27,750,000 (55 bb)
    Seat 4: Fernando Pons - 9,000,000 (18 bb)
    Seat 5: Qui Nguyen - 68,125,000 (136 bb)
    Seat 6: Cliff Josephy - 61,000,000 (122 bb)
    Seat 7: Michael Ruane - 30,200,000 (60 bb)
    Seat 8: Gordon Vayo - 47,225,000 (94 bb)
    Seat 9: Kenny Hallaert - 39,725,000 (80 bb)
    Seat 10: Jerry Wong - 11,025,000 (22 bb)

Basiclly they're just waiting for Weiss to get a hand and shove and see how it falls. There has been one hand that got played out where Josephy won a few off Benger but it's been mostly one raise taking it. Weiss now down to 2.2m so it shouldn't be long now before he doubles up or goes home. 10th place gets $650K and all the are guaranteed seven figure scores so this not only the November Nine bubble but a $350K ladder spot.

• edited July 2016
    Weiss surrenders his BB to a Kenny Hallaert raise, down to 3BB now.

He needs some of my Barnacle skills.

• edited July 2016
    The next two short stacks, Pons and Wong, are understandibly sitting on their hands. Pons hasn't played any of the first 16 hands, Wong just the one when he raised an unopened pot on the button to no defence from the blinds
  • edited July 2016
    Weiss found a hand and moved in his last 850K and was looked up by both the blinds. No further action between the blinds occured as they checked it down

The board was J-7-3-5-4.

Weiss showed first - Ace-8
    Gordon Vayo showed Q-7 for a pair of sevens which was good enough to KO Weiss and set the November Nine
    Michael Ruane tables J-5 for two pair to wn the pot.

So that's it, that's all the action until the end of October.

I'll return later for a review of the nine players who have made the biggest FT of them all.
  • edited July 2016
    Take a bow sir well played I will need to find something else to read with my morning coffee the amount of time and effort you put into this is second to none thanks
  • edited July 2016
    great work FCHD
  • edited July 2016

excellent work again fchd.  thank you.

• edited July 2016
    What a magnificent Thread.   It is been so informative and even with my
    limited knowledge lol it was easy to understand.
    What an amazing job you have done you must be so proud of yourself.

Thank you so very much for all your hard work 

Nannypat66 
  • edited July 2016
    Once again this thread has delivered a concise summary of the key action over Vegas. The first thread I've been opening here every day since the series started.

Excellent work, thanks FCHD.
  • edited July 2016
    very very good fchd an outstanding piece of work
  • edited July 2016
    Great stuff FCHD!
  • edited July 2016
    Excellent thread, fully deserves some form of reward, perhaps Sky could arrange for an entry into next years WSOP Main Event? Or, failing that, a £33 BH.
  • edited July 2016
    Well done barney lad, excellent coverage,
    superb thread, brought Vegas alive, for all us mouse tapers 
  • edited July 2016
    Well done barney lad, excellent coverage, superb thread, brought Vegas alive, for all us mouse tapers 
    Posted by ajmilton
    You tape up mice?

Awesome work FCHD
  • edited July 2016
    Excellent thread, fully deserves some form of reward, perhaps Sky could arrange for an entry into next years WSOP Main Event? Or, failing that, a £33 BH.
    Posted by Enut

Big +1, especially the recognition bit, providing that is ok with all the moaning minnies who kicked off last time this was suggested.
  • edited July 2016
    Good work u make it so easy to follow 
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, and nice to see I'm not the only ones getting my mornings back again after 6 weeks. I did start to flag about 2 weeks ago but carried on to the end (well nearly the end)

With my football watching season starting a week on Saturday (at Crowland United), I'll be glad of a couple of weeks to recharge my batteries.

I was going to research the November Nine, but the info released by the WSOP themselves does the job more than adequately in their press release and hope that cut and pasting large amounts attributed to WSOP.com is OK. If anyone at Sky Poker has a problem with copyright issues, feel free to delete as much as you feel you need.

So without any further ado, in chip order:

1. Cliff Josephy 74.6m chips. With 2 bracelets, the only bracelet holder in the November Nine. He has 17 previous WSOP cashes for $810538
    Cliff Josephy is undoubtedly one of the most well-known - and most accomplished - players in the 2016 November Nine. He first made a name for himself in online poker, and he has since become successful in live poker as well. He already has two bracelets, most recently from a shootout victory in 2013.

2. Qui Nguyen 67.9m chips. One solitary previous WSOP cash for $9029
    Qui Nguyen has less experience in high-stakes tournament poker than many of his November Nine competitors. He has just over $50,000 in recorded career earnings, and the largest cash of his career - his only previous WSOP cash - is for $9,029. That's not even enough for the buy-in in this event. But now he's one of the big stacks heading into November, and he's guaranteed a payout of at least $1,000,000

3. Gordon Vayo 49.4m chips. 26 previous WSOP cashes for $608136
    This is Gordon Vayo's third career WSOP final table. His best performance so far is a runner-up finish in a $3,000 No-Limit Hold'em Six-Max event two years ago. He now has a chance to improve on that and earn his first bracelet in the biggest tournament of the year.

4. Kenny Hallaert 43.3m chips 22 previous WSOP cashes for $367855
    Kenny Hallaert already has over $1.3 million in career earnings. His best WSOP performance to date was a fifth-place finish in the 2015 Colossus. Hallaert is also only the second Belgian to make the November Nine. A year ago, Pierre Neuville became the first. Now Belgians have made the final table in back-to-back years.

5. Michael Ruane 31.6m chips. 3 previous WSOP cashes for $24438
    Compared to some of his competitors, Michael Ruane is fairly inexperienced at tournament poker. He has only five recorded tournament cashes – three in WSOP events. His largest recorded score is $17,244. But now he’s guaranteed a payout of at least $1 million for his Main Event performance, and he has the opportunity to win the most prestigious prize in poker.

6. Vojtech Ruzcka 27.3m chips. 17 previous WSOP cashes for $138585
    Vojtech Ruzicka has over $1,000,000 in career earnings, mostly on the European tournament circuit. His best WSOP finish to date is a final-table performance in last year's bounty event for $42,228. Ruzicka is the first Czech November Niner since Martin Staszko in 2011.

7. Griffin Benger 26.1m chips. 13 previous WSOP cahes for $231201
    Griffin Benger is one of the world's most accomplished poker players. In fact, he's one of the world's most accomplished games players. He was a highly-ranked video game player, at one point winning the Counterstrike World Championships. He was also formerly the #1 ranked online poker player in the world. He's also no stranger to running deep in the Main Event, having finished 90th two years ago.

8. Jerry Wong 10.2m chips. 19 previoys WSOP cashes for $127343
    Jerry Wong has quite a bit of tournament experience. He has over $1.3 million in recorded earnings. At the WSOP he has 19 cashes to his name. However, this will be his first WSOP final table. Despite his success, he's already guaranteed the biggest payout of his career.

9. Fernando Pons 6.2m chips. No previous WSOP cashes
    This is Fernando Pons's first WSOP cash. In fact, it's his first WSOP event, and this is first time time in Vegas. Pons is mostly an online player; he has only two live tournament cashes on record. But his first WSOP experience is a memorable one, and he'll be back in Vegas again in a few months for the final table.

All biographical information courtesy of wsop.com

So that's it for three months. Well done to all those who won bracelets, made final tables, cashed, or just basically enjoyed themselves. A record year for the WSOP, but not really comparing apples to apples when there is different numbers of events, buy in levels and re-entries. Following the Sky qualifiers has been brilliant, even if it was somewhat hamstrung by the Data Protection provisions this year. The reports and videos from Tikay and Neil have been brilliant, may this whole Sky Poker/WSOP experience be repeated next year.

See you at the end of October!