You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The WSOP 2016 Thread

Comments

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: The WSOP 2016 Thread:
    Looks like a missed out another Brit in the heads-up, and a rather important one to us here at Sky Poker at that - Michael Kane who is still playing in one of only three third round matches still in play against John Smith.
    Posted by FCHD

I hope if (when) Style gets the winning hand, he turns to his opponent and says 'have it'. ;)

Great thread again, cheers.
  • edited June 2016
    Unfortunately Style was the last player knocked out in Round 3 after a marathon match.

Post on the bottom of Page 3 updated with end of night details.

• edited June 2016
    Not a good start to Wednesday action as Max Silver, Daniel McAulay and Paul Newey all lost their fourth round matches in the 10K Heads Up, meaning they all fell just short of the money.
  • edited June 2016
    Thanks for the updates!

I see Adam Owen that Tikay mentioned is sitting very nice at 2/58/118 in the $10k BI Dealers choice event.

Thought I was going to get my first bracelet tip coming in with Dan Kelly in event 7 the 2-7 Draw $1500 event but he went busto in 4th, close but no cigar.
  • edited June 2016
    I was just about to start a new thread after searching for this one until I saw at the last moment it had been moved to the top of the screen and made pink!

WSOP 6 - $1500 NLH, Day 3 of 3, 1073 entrants
    Extended play needed as three days wasn't enough to determine the winner of Event 6.

Four will come back for Day 4, Michael Addamo, Davis Aalvik, Peter Eichhardt and 2010 ME runner-up John Racener (that was the year Duhamel won).

Irish player Tim Farrelly was the last player eliminated and earned just over $106K for fifth spot.

WSOP 7 - $1500 2-7 Lowball Draw (No Limit), Day 3 of 3, 279 entrants
    This one did finish on time, and it is Ryan D'Angelo from Binghamton, New York who got the job done.

He outlasted double bracelet holder John Monnette heads up, with three more bracelet holders (Franklin, Brown & Maslak) in 3rd, 4th & 5th.

WSOP 8 - $1500 HORSE, Day 2 of 3, 778 entrants
    Of the 201 players who came back for Day 2, 20 move on to Day 3 with one of the short stacks at start of play, Ben Ponzio ending up with the biggest stack at the end of the night.

There's quite a cast list behind him, including Justin Bonomo, Ismael Bojang, Scotty Nguyen (one of whose bracelets came in HORSE), Andre Akkari and Svetlana Gromenkova.

It's not been a great week for the Brits so far, and that trend has continued here with the best of our contingent being Usman Siddique in 51st place ($3300) and other smaller cashes for what are by now the usual suspects, Richard Ashby, Adam Owen and Stu Rutter.

WSOP 9 - $10K Heads Up NLH Championship, Day 1 of 3, 153 entrants
    Things didn't improve for the Brits here either, all 3 of the remaining UK players went out in the first round of Day 2 meaning that we didn't get a single UK cash

The WSOP do show a Brit in the semi-finals though, but it is Alex Luneau who is one of our Continental Colleagues but lives in London.

The semi-final draw is Luneau v John Smith and Olivier Busquet v Alan Percal.

WSOP10 - $1500 NLH 6-max, Day 1 of 3, 1477 entries
    Proof that not every one of the smaller NLH events needs a gimmick, this one atttracted nearly 1500 players and the Day 2 field will contain several November Niners.

Pierre Neuville, Josh Beckley, Matt Jarvis, Jesse Sylvia and Thomas Canulli are all among the 183 survivors by Michael Mizrachi (do we know refer to the Grinder as brother of Robert?) and yet another brother, Danny.

Daniel Strelitz is the chip leader (he finished 3rd in a similar event two years ago), with Canadian Eric Afriat (after a last level rampage) and Italian Niccolo Steffanini in second and third respectively.

German superstar Fedor Holz lies inside the Top 10 but other than that not too many well-known players through, but noted is that Ben Keeline, winner of Event 2 (the Colossus) is still sitting there with chips.

Brits, well we've got several through to Day 2 so let's hope at least one of them can have a very deep run - that's your challenge Simon Deadman, JP Kelly, Ludovic Geilich and David Vamplew.

WSOP11 - $10K Dealers Choice 6 Max Championship, Day 1 of 3, 118 entries
    Of course the reason not so many big names survive in Event 10 is that most of them were playing Event 11 instead.

Frenchman Bruno Fitoussi (he of the rather impressive hair) is leader of the 41 who move forward to Day 2 ahead of Brandon Shack-Harris (remember his 2014 series when had results of 1st/2nd/3rd/2nd all within a month) and 3-time bracelet winner Brian Hastings close behind.

Phil Hellmuth is still going for his umpteenth braceet, and is accompanied by Dan Smith, Jen Harman, Mike Gorodinsky, Greg Mueller, Max Pescatori et al.

Two Brits sit inside the Top 12 overnight - Richard Ashby is 9th and Adam Owen 12th.

To start today
    WSOP12 - $565 Pot Limit Omaha, Unlimited re-entries, 3 Day Event
    WSOP13 - $1500 Seven Card Razz, 3 Day Event

• edited June 2016
    WSOP 6 - $1500 NLH, Day 4 of 3, 1073 entrants
    It's a bracelet for Sweden as EPT regular and part-time fiction writer, 50-yeara old Peter Eichhardt took Event 6 on a non-scheduled fourth day.

Eichhardt, who has WSOP cashes dating back to 1995 won $438K, by far the biggest cash of his career beating David Aalvik heads-up.

All four players who came back for Day 4 held the chip lead at some point, but Aussie Michael Addamo ended up third and John Racener 4th.

WSOP 8 - $1500 HORSE, Day 3 of 3, 778 entrants
    There is a picture out there of the stack Ian Johns had at the end of Day 1 where he was stone cold last of the 201 players who survived, a great example of not giving up even when you've got a micro-stack. Two days later he's sitting for a different type of photo, the one with his winning hand in his right hand and the WSOP gold bracelet in his left.

In a stacked final table (6 players including Johns were previous bracelet winners) he came from the short stack time and time again and eventually won the heads up battle with Justin Bonomo with most of the important hands coming in Stud.

WSOP 9 - $10K Heads Up NLH Championship, Day 3 of 3, 153 entrants
    You have never cashed in a WSOP event. You've only played one heads-up ever. You're a semi-pro amongst a field of the best heads-up players in the world. What do you think the chances of taking it down are?

Well for 23-year old Alan Percal (day job, actuary) from Florida, the fairy-tale has come true after winning 7 mano a mano matches he won the gold bracelet and over $320K.

He beat 69-year old Vietnam War vet John Smith in the final and Olivier Busquet in his semi-final.

WSOP10 - $1500 NLH 6-max, Day 2 of 3, 1477 entries
    21 players will come back for Day 3, so it is entirely possible that this will extend into a fourth day.

The chip leader is Spanish player Javier Garcirreynaldos ahead of Daniel Strelitz and Mike Cordell, none of whom mean much to me.

Two names lower down do though, German high-roller regular Fedor Holz is still there, as is last year's November Niner Pierre Neuville, both of whom have top 3 finishes in previous years in 6-max events.

Simon Deadman was last Brit standing, exiting in 34th place.

WSOP11 - $10K Dealers Choice 6 Max Championship, Day 2 of 3, 118 entrants
    Perhaps this is the one where the Union Flag can fly high in Vegas? The bubble burst with 17 players left, including Richard Ashby and Adam Owen.

Owen busted late on, and Ashby needed at least one double up and two triple ups to survive, and he is still by far the shortest stack going to Day 3, but at least he's still alive and kicking and has guaranteed doubling his buy-in.

Jean Gaspard is the chip leader with two players still in trying to get their second FT within a couple of days - John Monnette and Andrew Brown.

WSOP12 - $565 Pot Limit Omaha, Unlimited re-entries, Day 1 of 3, 2483 entries
    Four score players remain, as far as I can see all men, led by Alexander Ahmed from Hamtramck, Michigan. David Baker (the "ODB" one) lies second and Adil Khan is third.

Two GB players are also through, Richard Robinson and Stephen Woodhead, the latter with a very small stack (but if Ian Johns can do it (see above), why not Mr Woodhead)

Also cashing - Robert Cowen, Fraser MacIntyre, both Boatman brothers, Peter Charalambous, Roman Pomah, Kevin Allen, JP Kelly & Jerome Bradpiece

Mizrachi count - one, Robert who is 62nd overnight.

WSOP13 - $1500 Seven Card Razz,  Day 1 of 3, 461 entrants
    117 of the 461 through with the leader being Sebstian Pauli with ex bracelet winner Fabrice Soulier and Dutch Boyd close behind.

Former November Niner Steve Gee lies inside the top 10 with other notables including Gavin Griffin, Shaun Deeb, Daniel Negreanu, Greg Raymer, Allen Cunningham & George Danzer taking chips through as well, as is actor James Woods who has made his second day 2 of this series.

Some GB names through too - Stephen Chidwick, Usman Siddique (both with decent stacks) and Gerald Ringe & Matt Ashton (with considerably smaller stacks)

Mizrachi count : 0!

To start today
    WSOP 14 - $1500 Millionaire Maker, NLH, 5 Day Event (including 2 Day 1s)
    WSOP 15 - $1500 Eight Game Mix 6-Max, 3 Day Event
  • edited June 2016
  • edited June 2016
    WSOP10 - $1500 NLH 6-max, Day 3 of 3, 1477 entries
    The bracelet winner is 46-year old Mike Cordell from Little Rock, Arkansas. He had previously won a WSOP Circuit ring (also in 6-max) but this was his first bracelet and the $346K was more than his total career earnings according to Hendon Mob (even when you add up the results listed under Michael Cordell and those under Mike Cordell).

73-year old Pierre Neuville who of course made the FT of last year's main, had his highest ever WSOP finish with 2nd after being unable to recover a 18:1 chip deficit heads up and Robert Hankins ended up in 3rd.

Four German players made the last 18, with my fantasy team pick Fedor Holz bowing out in 18th.

WSOP11 - $10K Dealers Choice 6 Max Championship, Day 3 of 3, 118 entrants
    Jean Gaspard took the bracelet and $306K in the big Dealers Choice event. He's been around for a while (first 6 figure cash was back in 2005) and made the FT of a Stud event last year, but he's been more consistent over the last 12 months, mainly in WSOP circuit events.

He beat William O'Neil in a farily short heads-up match after knocking out John Monnette in 3rd. That's a 2nd and a 3rd this week for Monnette.

Richard Ashby could only nurse his short stack for so long, and he was the first player eliminated on Day 3 for an 11th place finish and over $20K

WSOP12 - $565 Pot Limit Omaha, Unlimited re-entries, Day 2 of 3, 2483 entries
    Ten one-hour levels on Day 2 have reduced the field from 80 players to 9 and it's Syed Shah and Tesfaldet Tekle holdng the top two positions overnight with another alliterative name Charles Coultas in fourth, the symmetry spoilt only by Richard St Peter sneaking in between in third.

Ryan Laplante is playing his fifth event so far and this is his fourth cash, and this will be for a minimum of $15813.

The two remaining British players were knocked out - Richard Robinson (more alliteration) finished in 38th for $4K and Stephen Woodland 76th for $2K.

WSOP13 - $1500 Seven Card Razz,  Day 2 of 3, 461 entrants
    An end was called to play with 12 left and some familiar names are evident. Daniel Negreanu's deep run in the Main last year created a lot of interest, and he's having another decent tournament here in his attempt to pick up his 7th bracelet.

Shaun Deeb is still there, apparenly having a great time and buying rounds of beers for his table, David Benyamine & Rep Porter are still in as is one British player, Usman Siddique who won a UKIPT event a few weeks ago.

Siddique and Benyamine played the most bizarre Razz hand. The Brit is all in for less than 1BB, and with all the cards on the table he has tens full but Benyamine has Jacks full. In a game where the low hand is the key, a Full House being the winning hand is almost unheard of. Anyway, Usman now has one and a half BB to play with.

Siddique has rolled that micro-stack a little bit and has moved off the bottom into 11th, needless to say he is still in a precarious position.

The final name worth a mention is German footballer Max Kruse who plays for VfL Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. No stranger to the WSOP (finishing 3rd in a braclet event in 2014), he lies in 10th place overnight. According to Wikipedia, he was once named as having the ugliest car in the Bundesliga.

WSOP14 - $1500 Millionaire Maker, NLH, 5 Day Event (including 2 Day 1s)
    3088 entrants on Day 1 of the Millionaire Maker (players knocked out on 1A can re-enter on 1B) and it looks like 505 players will go through.

Frank Rusnak is the chip leader with Dave Stefanski and Upeshka Da Silva close behind.

We don't have to look too far down the listings for the first occurence of "GB" - Max Silver is in 4th.

Also through, Patrick Leonard, Matas Cimbolas, Neil McFayden, Jack O'Neill, Fraser Bellamy, James Rann, Ben Heath, Paul Newey, James Long, Chun Law, Thomas Hall, Tiam Noruzi, Louis Salter and continuing the theme above, Charles Chattha and Barny Boatman

WSOP15 - $1500 Eight Game Mix 6-Max, Day 1 of 3, 491 entrants
    A bit more structured mixed-game than the Dealers Choice, almost 500 put up the $1500 entry fee. 107 of the 491 are in for a second day, with two-time bracelet winner Brandon Cantu having almost twice as many chips as anyone else.

74 will get paid, so there's still plenty to do to get in the money, which we hope the remaining British players (Jonathan Slater, Gerald Ringe & David Knott) will all do

Defending champion Phil Ivey has not yet made an appearance at the WSOP this year but big name pros who have and are still in Event 15 include Jason Somerville, Paul Volpe, Anthony Zinno, Barry Greenstein, Eli Elezra and Phil Hellmuth, and 2011 ME runner-up Martin Staszko.

To start today
    WSOP16 - $10K 2-7 Draw Lowball Championship No Limit, 3 Day Event, single re-entry
    plus Day 1B of the Millionaire Maker
  • edited June 2016
    Am I just talking to myself since this thread was moved to the Pink section?

WSOP12 - $565 Pot Limit Omaha, Unlimited re-entries, Day 3 of 3, 2483 entries
    I mentioned yesterday how Ryan Laplante has made this his 4th cash of 5 events played, well he took his hot streak all the way by winning Event 12 and taking the first prize of $190K and of course the bracelet.

The overnight 1-2-3-4 on chips finished in the same order, only in 2-3-4-5 with Sean Shah 2nd and Tesfaldet Tekle third

WSOP13 - $1500 Seven Card Razz,  Day 3 of 3, 461 entrants
    Ralph "Rep" Porter
    took a third bracelet (this second in Razz) denying Michael Gathy (also 2 bracelets before this event) heads-up

Daniel Negreanu finished 4th, Shaun Deeb 8th, David Benyamine 9th and last UK player Usman Siddique 10th ($9225)

WSOP14 - $1500 Millionaire Maker, NLH, Day 1B of 4, 7190 entries
    4102 entrants on Day 1B to add to the 3088 on Day 1A makes 7190 which is only 85 down on last year so no significant difference.

Over 1100 players will come back on Day 2, with Shalev Haifa having the biggest stack of Day 1. Event 6 winner Peter Eichhard has also bagged up a decent number of chips along with fellow Swede Sofia Lovgren.

Steven Morris is top GB player in 21st, and he is joined in qualifying by Fraser MacIntyre, Idris Drief, Tom Middleton, Simon Deadman, Andrew Teng, Daniel Laming, Luke Brereton, James Walsh, Jamie Burland, David Vamplew, Matthew Moss, Yann Del Rey, Jason Boyd, Richard Lord, Gordon Huntly, David Weeks, Ben Murray & James Gadd so plenty of hopes for a deep run there.

WSOP15 - $1500 Eight Game Mix 6-Max, Day 2 of 3, 491 entrants
    Only 11 go through to the final day, and it is Paul Volpe who leads the select few through.

Gavin Smith, Bart Lybaert and Chris Klodnicki are also through, but not unfortunately any British players as all three Day 1 survivors bust before the bubble.

WSOP16 - $10K 2-7 Draw Lowball Championship No Limit, Day 1 of 3, 100 entries
    With a single re-entry allowed, the field just squeaked in to 3 figures, but that is a nice increase on last year's 77.

34% of the field are through to day 2, and even those who are less proficient in maths should be able to work out that that means 34 players.

From those 34 there are a decent representation of UK players, with Usman Siddque fresh from a cash earlier today in 7th, Benny Glaser 12th, Stephen Chidwick 24th, Adam Owen 27th and Stuart Rutter in 34th.

Stu has a very small stack, but managed to double up at the very end of the day through Howard Lederer. Yes, Lederer has followed his final FTP (word censored) Chris Ferguson out of hiding and is playing
    Alex Luneau (Frenchman sometime resident in London), ahead of Mike Matusow, George Danzer and Brian Hastings.

Scott Siever, Dan Smith, Jason Mercier, Event 13 winner Rep Porter and Mike Gorodinsky are also through to Day 2.

To start today
    WSOP17 - $1K NLH, 3 Day Event
    WSOP18 - $3K HORSE, 3 Day Event
  • edited June 2016

no we are still reading just up late today nice read

• edited June 2016
    Still reading
    Keep up the good work
  • edited June 2016
    Great read keep up the good work
  • edited June 2016
    No I'm still here too although I temporarily didn't notice the move to a sticky thread.

Please keep up the good work.  I use your thread more than any other to keep up with the goings on...until I get there next weekend that is :)
  • edited June 2016
    Long time lurking and reading your great updates. Keep up the great work, it's much appreciated. 

Cheers,

Dave.
  • edited June 2016
    i also lost the thread for a day or 2 while it was moved but have caught up now, its a great thread barney, keep up the good work :)
  • edited June 2016

We are all still reading Barny, & I expect most of the others are, like me, simply blown away by how good it is, as you brighten it up with little facts & comments.

I've no idea why it was "stickied". Personally, I'm not a fan of "stickying" threads. Threads which don't get read much, but are important, need to be stickied, but many of these are stickied because they contain rules etc (see "Community Guidelines") which has not seen a single post in almost a year. It's a market forces thing - if a thread is good enough, why sticky it?

If you would like it to "float free" & be unstickied, just let me know & I'll do the necessary. It will never drop off the front page whilst the WSOP is on, as you post on it every day.    

• edited June 2016

Barny - sent you an e-Mail which the WSOP sent me.
  • edited June 2016
    Barny - sent you an e-Mail which the WSOP sent me.
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks Tikay.

• edited June 2016
    Same here still reading and very much enjoying.

Did have a mini panic before I realised the sticky situation.

• edited June 2016
    Early news from WSOP 16, unfortunately Stu Rutter couldn't get another double up early on Day 2, falling short of the money.

In better news, the next elimination was Howard Lederer....
  • edited June 2016
    Early news from WSOP 16, unfortunately Stu Rutter couldn't get another double up early on Day 2, falling short of the money. In better news, the next elimination was Howard Lederer....
    Posted by FCHD
    Howard is - well, was - sitting next to young Adam Owen, who is up to around 100,000 @ 1,500-3,000 now.
  • edited June 2016

...and Adam promptly gets a full 2xUp, & with a few other pots, is now well north of 200,000, with the Average at 167,000.
  • edited June 2016
    Am I just talking to myself since this thread was moved to the Pink section?
    Posted by FCHD
    Funny, Clever, Highly Descriptive-what's not to like?

Closest I'll get to Vegas this year, but I can almost smell it! Thanks
  • edited June 2016
    WSOP14 - $1500 Millionaire Maker, NLH, Day 2 of 4, 7190 entries
    With at least a million dollars guaranteed to the winner, and this year the second placed player also, we have just 124 players still in contention

Mohsin Charania is the chip leader, one of three players with over a million chips ahead of Frank Rusnak and Argentinian Jorge Eghi.

Several Brits in contention too - Louis Salter and Ben Heath sit inside the top 15 with Matthew Moss, Max Silver, Andrew Teng, Luke Brereton and Simon Deadman still there too.

Not too many big names fighting on, but there are two notable female players left - Sofia Lovgren and Loni Harwood.

The fact they they are creating 2 millionaires has made the prizepool look, well, weird. It looks OK up to 3rd - e.g. 5th $276K, 4th $366K, 3rd $500K but then it jumps to a million for 2nd and only $65K more than that for first. OK you also get the prestige and the bracelet, but that pay jump from 3rd to 2nd will be massive.

WSOP15 - $1500 Eight Game Mix 6-Max, Day 3 of 3, 491 entrants
    Day 2 chip leader Paul Volpe held on throughout Day 3 and took his second bracelet.
    Jason Stockfish and Ron Ware rounded out the top 3 spots

WSOP16 - $10K 2-7 Draw Lowball Championship No Limit, Day 2 of 3, 100 entries
    A halt was called to play with 9 left and we have a very familiar name at the top - Jason Mercier who is looking for his 4th bracelet (I thought he already had more), and we still have two British players among those remaining - Benny Glaser & Stephen Chidwick.

All those who survive have locked up nearly $20K, but all eyes will be on the gold bracelet and the $273K that comes with it.

As mentioned earlier, Stu Rutter went out early on Day 2 with Adam Owen & Usman Siddique following him out before the bubble.

WSOP17 - $1K NLH, Day 1 of 3, 2242 entrants
    A little over 10% of the field have made it through to Day 2 (with the WSOP paying 15% this year of course they are all in the money)

We have a female player at the top of the Day 1 chip totals, Stacey Nutini, a local Las Vegas resident, leads Franklin Yao & Koray Aldemir.

Two British bracelet holders, Roberto Romanello and Craig McCorkell are still there, as are Steven Watts, Jamie Burland, Gary Blackwood, David Stons, Richard Sheils and James Poulter.

Former ME winner Carlos Mortensen is safely through, as is former November Niners Steve Gee & Martin Staszko, Adam Bilzerian, Anthony Spinella and Event 12 winner Ryan Laplante (that's his 6th cash from 7 events)

Hand-for-hand play went on for over an hour before the bubble burst after Rob Winsler bust pocket aces with 6-5 suited.

WSOP18 - $3K HORSE, Day 1 of 3, 400 entrants
    After 10 levels, play has come to an end and with only 60 players to be paid, the 144 players remaining still have a lot of work to do to lock up at least a min-cash.

George Trigeorgis is the big stack overnight with a significant lead over fellow-Americans Nicholas Kiley and Brett Reichert.

Quite a lot of Union Jacks in the chip listings, with Stu Rutter amongst them (having a decent enough stack this time). Gerald Ringe and Adam Owen are still there, along with a couple of non-Brits but who live here, Mel Judah & Chris Bjorin.

Recent bracelet winners Justin Bonomo & Robert Mizrachi are still there, as are Phil Hellmuth, Taylor Paur, Bruno Fittoussi and with micro-stacks both Maria Ho and Jonathan Duhamel.

To start today
    WSOP19 - $1K PLO, 3 Day Event
    WSOP20 - $10K 7 Card Razz Championship, 3 Day Event
  • edited June 2016

Still reading this thread daily and I do appreciate the work you put in, cheers.

Not 'WSOP' news as such, but a Vegas good news story I hope you don't mind me sharing here for all.

Adam (who plays on Sky as ADS2UK) has just done some business on a FT of a event over at the Golden Nugget. Not sure of the buy in, but he took $16.2K in the deal, which is a very nice cash. He also does a bit of rapping in his spare time and it sounds like he (w)rapped this one up well in the end.
  • edited June 2016
    The old 'people never read stickies' thing - and I completely missed it too. I think you (mod reader) should unsticky it :)

Big thanks, FCHD. Now caught up.
  • edited June 2016

glad you are still there great read now that i have caught up.  Cant wait till i get there and see it all.  thanks very much for doing this great read with breakfast 
  • edited June 2016
    Wp ADSUK hope for more sky cashes tikay I hope your pockets are full great thread thanks
  • edited June 2016
    Early Thursday action

Event 16 has reached the final table, with Jason Mercier still leading the final 7, both Benny Glaser and Stephen Chidwick are doing OK and sit 3rd and 4th. Alex Luneau is now nursing the short stack. This one is currently on the live stream.

Event 18 - 3K HORSE started a little later but has lost about 10 players so far including the $1500 version winner Georgios Sotiropolous, Dutch Boyd and Maria Ho. Gerald Ringe has chipped up a little and Adam Owen is still seemingly sitting in the middle of the pack.
  • edited June 2016
    Great thread! TY