You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Challenge Channing

edited November 2016 in Poker Chat

Just in case you didn't notice it I thought I'd mention Challenge Channing.

I tend to play on Sky fairly randomly as and when I fancy it, but we thought it might be a good idea to set some times when people will know I'm playing so that players from all stakes will get a chance to try and bluff me in a big pot. Sky Poker have made a nice promotions page that you can see below or by clicking on "Promotions" (funnily enough). They have very generously thrown in a few bounties in the tournaments and in future I'll try and encourage them to dip into their pockets for the cash players.

If you want to find me I'll be dropping in on a cash table...could be any stakes, this Friday at 6pm.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/challenge-channing

Comments

• edited August 2016

there i was, swimming around my fish tank and Tikaram got in.

• edited August 2016

sounds like it will be excellent.  to be able to play against one of the world's all time best players.  how good is that?

good luck neil.  excellent idea.

• edited August 2016
    Nice! I would like the opportunity to play againts mr channing as I'm sure others do :) will you be letting us know what stakes you'll be playing before 6pm as I'm sure the tables will fill up quick .

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Challenge Channing:
    sounds like it will be excellent.  to be able to play against one of the world's all time best players.  how good is that? good luck neil.  excellent idea.    
    Posted by aussie09

Yes, it is a pleasure to share tables with Richard Orford. 
  • edited August 2016

I think I'll keep it secret and just drop in on a table then it will make it more of a fun thing. I think the plan is to have some extra incentives to the players on the table in the future so I thought it would be fun if people didn't know.
  • edited August 2016
    Great idea, well played.
  • edited August 2016

Just a quick reminder we start this at 6pm tonight. I think the plan is to have little promotions and freebies built in to it so hopefully lots of players from all stakes will have a chance to have a fun game and maybe get some added value over the next few weeks.
  • edited August 2016
    far to hot to be inside imo bbq at the ready. if your still about around 9 10pm ill join the long list of fresh meat. 

gl all 
  • edited August 2016

Nice little 5p/10p game. Good to see a couple of you there. Check out the Challenge Channing page to see when I'm playing...will be in the Roller on Sunday.
  • edited August 2016

Don't forget I'm in the Super Roller tonight and as part of Challenge Channing Sky Poker have put a ticket to next week on my head as a bounty. There is also an overlay in the tournament right now.
  • edited August 2016
    Have you thought about twitching any of these sessions?

• edited August 2016

I have thought about that Phantom and the idea does not appeal to me in any shape or form. I have maximum respect for those Twitchers who pioneered the thing and who go 100 days doing hours every day but I'm personally not keen on living in The Truman Show. I have noticed that even players as famous as say Elky or Jake Cody rarely get a three figure number of people watching them and if I was to have a crack I'd be amazed if I got 50 people. Given that I'm sitting there at the table chatting and playing and anybody can rail me quite easily I can't see that the extra hassle is really adding that much. It's already tough when people are chatting to try and be polite and engage, maybe on two tables at once, while sometimes promoting the games I'm playing on Twitter and making sure I give my best game to those I'm playing.

Yesterday I tried playing two tables and it is tough to chat properly on two at once. The 25p/50p table contained two players who seemed to want to be smarter$es also. The "joke" of pretending to have no idea who I am wears a bit thin after a while as of course, it could be that they haven't heard of me and they are wondering who I am and what is this Challenge Channing that the others are talking about but it's boring to have to explain it only to have one of the players then reveal that he knew all along but he's just not massively impressed by me. Another player then did the thing of asking me if I'm the nchanning who plays high-stakes PLO on Stars. I have not logged on to my Stars account in about ten years now and although I know who that guy is I can assure you it's not me. I explained all that which stopped me from playing much or chatting at all on the other table and then it turned out that he knew that very well and he was just trying to score a point that I clearly wasn't good enough to play high-stakes PLO on Stars. At this stage I started to realise that the 4p/8p table I was playing alongside was much more what Challenge Channing was all about.

My two "friends" on the 25p50p now began to berate me about a call I made for £8 in their game. I decided that was time to go. They carried on chatting away berating me and then each other over their play and my play. Three minutes later the game broke up.

The 4p/8p game was fun and I had a chat with some nice people.

It made me remember what is wrong with some people and how the regulars are often very poor at running their business and it made me think that maybe Challenge Channing ought to focus much more on smaller stakes. It didn't fill me full of too much joy and it did absolutely nothing to make me think that a Twitch of me over that hour would be good for anyone.
  • edited August 2016

If either them are reading I would suggest that anytime you talk extensively about ranges at the table or describe any of your opponents as fish then you have ceased to be the professionals that you clearly think you are.
  • edited August 2016
     If either them are reading I would suggest that anytime you talk extensively about ranges at the table or describe any of your opponents as fish then you have ceased to be the professionals that you clearly think you are.
    Posted by NChanning
    +1

• edited August 2016
    I guess twitch won't do much for brand channing and I can see the distraction of it to the twitcher. I was just guessing that you can probably talk a lot quicker than you can type and that may provide more interaction and actually help you concentrate on the game more. (eyes and fingers focussed on the computer with only the poker to worry about).

Maybe now that more mainstream platforms like youtube and facebook are bringing in live streaming there may be an opportunity to tie something in with sky poker in the future with a wider audeince?

Interesting observations on the chat.

I have had the privilege of sharing a table with you at some of the lower buy-in community events, the 2.20 @ 2.20 and the PLO8 league. The atmosphere on those tables was fun and it was a pleasure to be able interact with you.

I guess you are better off playing with people who are pleased to see you and want  to engage rather than those who are just worried that their EV is lower with you at the table and/or are looking to score points in front of their friends.

Apart from play the presenter events on the tv channels, the only other player of note I have ever competed against was allen cunningham. It was a buzz being on his table, helped by having a bounty on his head, The chat was pretty non-existant though. I think I did get an "ul" when he bust me. 

Your views on how pro players should treat newcomers are well documented and berating bad play or discussing play using technical terminology to intimidate players seems so obviously counter-productive to me, I suppose every now again a new player with a big ego will react and get cleaned out for a few BIs, but many more will be put off by the experience and be lost to the site or the game which is such a shame.

• edited August 2016
    Some people don't even have basic manners. But to berate a player of your caliber is just plain stupid. Hopefully don't happen to much in this very good promo. 
    I'd rather you cleared there roll out tho just to prove a point but that's nothing to do with the challenge channing. 
    Would like a stt involved if that's possible. 
    Have fun
    Micky

• edited August 2016
    I like the sound of you staying at lower stakes :) there is no need to be rude to you or anyone else at the table!

EDIT : or off the table ��
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Challenge Channing : Yes, it is a pleasure to share tables with Richard Orford. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    First of all can I say that you are a top draw poker player Neil but as Maxally so rightly says Mr. Orford is a poker god still remember him calling out the exact card time after time when the show lasted 5 hours it was uncanny as if someone was telling him what the card was. I think they made the show last that long so he could not play poker to give everyone a chance as last time I knew he was crushing the tournies' now he has more time to play. Neil I will try and make a point to be at your table just for the Kudos of playing someone of your ability even if the bank roll suffers see you Friday.
  • edited August 2016
    Some players are up their own ( insert a word here) and think that they play fantastic poker and can berate players over their style of play. I say get over yourselves. Each player to their own. Everyone pays to play and can play how they like. If you don't like their style of play don't play. Neil it's not aimed at you. Have seen it so many times players jumping on others for so called bad play. Poker is a game and yes there are those that take it seriously and others like me that just play for the pure enjoyment and the social side of it and have good fun. (Insert word here) the grumpy ones. 
  • edited August 2016
    Some players are up their own ( insert a word here) and think that they play fantastic poker and can berate players over their style of play. I say get over yourselves. Each player to their own. Everyone pays to play and can play how they like. If you don't like their style of play don't play. Neil it's not aimed at you. Have seen it so many times players jumping on others for so called bad play. Poker is a game and yes there are those that take it seriously and others like me that just play for the pure enjoyment and the social side of it and have good fun. (Insert word here) the grumpy ones. 
    Posted by Darkangel7
    So disappointed with the language not used here.......
  • edited August 2016
    Am being polite which is so unlike me at the moment. Use your imagination ;) 
  • edited September 2016
    1.) love this thread / idea

2.) I also once asked you if you were nchanning on stars but mine was a genuine question not a needle

3.) if you ever fancy some hu nlh or PLO that would be great

Keep up the good work & nobody cares about the amoeba of poker who turn players away from the game
  • edited September 2016
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Having seen Angel in action I can say she is a very difficult opponent to play not so much abc more zxy Angel has a unique game to say the least and also an excellent railer Good Luck Doyle has got me thru many a tricky spot. I'll give you a Good Luck Angel for future games hope it helps. Now I have a bit of knowledge about poker why would you want to berate someone for bad play surely you want to keep them happy so they stay at table.
  • edited September 2016
    Playing the Orfordable with us lot tonight Neil C ?

Good banter 10 seater deepstack :)
  • edited September 2016

I'm down for cash Boxster. I'll pick a lowish stakes table and have a nice chat with whoever is there. If It's all quite good fun and Im happy to chat on two I may try that.
  • edited September 2016
    Thank you Neil it was nice being on the same table as you and will be able to drop it into the poker conversations in the future lol.
  • edited September 2016

I'm playing the £50 Speed Bounty Hunter tonight as part of Challenge Channing. There is an additional £50 bounty on me which ought to make the event a little more value and I've heard a rumour Mr Orford might be playing too. Definitely keen to play all kinds of games in Challenge Channing so as to share the love.
  • edited September 2016
     I'm playing the £50 Speed Bounty Hunter tonight as part of Challenge Channing. There is an additional £50 bounty on me which ought to make the event a little more value and I've heard a rumour Mr Orford might be playing too. Definitely keen to play all kinds of games in Challenge Channing so as to share the love.
    Posted by NChanning

Not a tournament I play that often, but with the added interest I'll certainly be trying to win a seat through one of the sats tonight.

If I don't qualify, I wish everyone good luck.
  • edited September 2016
    Posted by NChanning

im in!
  • edited September 2016
    Thank you Neil it was nice being on the same table as you and will be able to drop it into the poker conversations in the future lol.
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Brun what you mean you don't name drop you know me too? tut lol. Neil is a nice person in real life too.