You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS XVII

Comments

• edited September 2016
    A big guaranteed £10 freezeout

PLO rebuy £5

Agree that 2 weeks is too long. 8 days sounds cool. 

Mini should closely match main.

• edited September 2016
    I like the idea of a shootout. 

Plenty of other good suggestions in the thread already including heads-up, 9 max and 4 max for variety.

Satellites running well in advance of UKOPS please so it's not a last minute panic to try and qualify for plenty of tournaments without denting the bankroll too much.

• edited September 2016
    Satelite idea for events later in the week is good. 

Golden tickets idea for every event you enter?! Could win prizes or entry into bigger events?!

Please not too many deepstacks or rebuys lol bh'ers all the way!
  • edited September 2016
    +1 hu mtt round based.
  • edited September 2016
    For me some sort of leaderboard, progress tracker, points incentive etc is a must to increase interest..

i think you should keep it similar to the regular schedule with obviously bigger guarantees and loads more sats...

i personally dont like the idea of rebuy days, bh days, freezeout days etc, much prefer a mixed schedule each night. 

keep it proportionate to the player base, i dont know the stats on what the most popular games have been over the last X amount of years, but if say 50% of mtt players pick BH's then make 50% of the schedule BH's etc, the same for all other formats. Im all for trying new games and formats but think they should be trialed before a ukops to see if they are a success first.
  • edited September 2016
    I really like the idea of some sort of leader board and also golden tickets.

Playing an event = 1 golden ticket irrespective of the buy in.

With some nice prizes, could be Tournament entries with random values. So maybe like a few £100 entries, some £55s with a lot of £10 MTT tokens.

A rebuy every day would be cool too.

• edited September 2016
    All input is much appreciated here and every post is read.

We do have some current limitations on the types of tournaments that we can run which means some of the suggestions above will not be included in UKOPS XVII but don't rule them out in the future. 

A UKOPS leaderboard is very likely and this year I believe we will do something we have not previously done which should give players of all bankrolls a shot. James has been working on designs for new bracelets too so we can expect them to better than ever. 
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII:
    The mains and highrollers should have bigger timebanks than usual.Players need more time making tough decisions in these big events worth alot of money.
    Posted by Arrogant
    Noted. An actual timebank will not be used but we can certainly increase the decision time. 
  • edited September 2016
    Definately would like to see a tiered leader board promotion for UKOPS, as many people have suggested. (Low/Medium/High stake)

Leaderboard promos with points based on finishing position, and not "rake points".

You have great promo's for "rake generating" activities, but not where points are based on skill/finishing positions, rather than volume.

This is one area where unfortunately Sky sadly falls behind it's competitors. UKOPS could be a good opportunity to address that.

I love SkyPoker, and you do some great promotions, however sometimes I feel the MTT players are somewhat overlooked (probably because they don't generate as much rake)

Sites typically use formulas using logarithms for these things, based on entry fee, number of runners and finishing position. I won't cut and paste any formulas from the sites, but I am sure you can see easily enough for yourselves, formulas that other sites use.

Cheers

Graham

• edited September 2016
    Nightly Semis leading up to the ME that week would be good. like you used to do for the £12k bounty hunter. sats during the day with a semi every night leading up to the tourny. used to give players a chance to get in it early rather than the semi of the MTT.
  • edited September 2016
    Definately would like to see a tiered leader board promotion for UKOPS, as many people have suggested. (Low/Medium/High stake) Leaderboard promos with points based on finishing position, and not "rake points". You have great promo's for "rake generating" activities, but not where points are based on skill/finishing positions, rather than volume. This is one area where unfortunately Sky sadly falls behind it's competitors. UKOPS could be a good opportunity to address that. I love SkyPoker, and you do some great promotions, however sometimes I feel the MTT players are somewhat overlooked (probably because they don't generate as much rake) Sites typically use formulas using logarithms for these things, based on entry fee, number of runners and finishing position. I won't cut and paste any formulas from the sites, but I am sure you can see easily enough for yourselves, formulas that other sites use. Cheers Graham
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Morning Graham,

To address a few of those points.

If they run a UKOPS Leaderboard, I would very much doubt it would be based on "rake points" as you describe them. Generally, Leaderboard are based on results., rather than volume, but the fact is, the more volume a player puts in, the more chance they have of getting results, so to a degree, the two are linked.

I don't think it is fair to say "MTT players are overlooked in Sky Poker Promos, maybe because they pay less rake".

Addressing the latter point first, it is not as cut & dried as "they pay less rake". MTT players, typically, migrate across to cash tables & SNG's when they exit their MTT's, so as a class of player, Sky Poker value them very highly. A successful UKOPS always generates extra traffic on the cash tables & SNG's. So whilst they may pay less margin in MTT's, that does not mean they contribute less margin overall. (Margin = cash game rake &/or Reg Fees). 

MTT players Overlooked in Sky Promos?

Well I'm not sure about that. The following all favour MTT players, I'd say....

Punta Cana Satellites

Viva Las Vegas satellites

UKOPS (usually 3 or 4 per year)

Final Table Jackpot

The fact is, it is actually quite hard to come up with Promos purely aimed at MTT regulars. I think Sky Poker do more in this area than most other sites, though.

I'm not sure SNG players would agree, either - as far as I can recall, they only benefit from one promo - Happy Days.

All players - cash players, MTT-ers & SNG-ers, tend to think they are hard done by. Nature of the beast. ;)  

• edited September 2016
    Actually from what Wynne said earlier about bringing back sky poker tv.

I used to watch this, in truth mainly as I enjoyed the Tikay and Anna shows (good fun) and in Tikays absense my interest will probably drop dramatically. However would it not be worth skys while having a option to view the programme from the skypoker website.

I presume it was moved to skysports to attract more viewers, but its hardly a bad thing if the current poker sky poker players are watching it thru the sky poker website is it?

I guess it depends if the main aim is to get people to subscribe to sky sports or to skypoker.

Ger
  • edited September 2016
    Actually from what Wynne said earlier about bringing back sky poker tv. I used to watch this, in truth mainly as I enjoyed the Tikay and Anna shows (good fun) and in Tikays absense my interest will probably drop dramatically. However would it not be worth skys while having a option to view the programme from the skypoker website. I presume it was moved to skysports to attract more viewers, but its hardly a bad thing if the current poker sky poker players are watching it thru the sky poker website is it? I guess it depends if the main aim is to get people to subscribe to sky sports or to skypoker. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    I very much doubt that Sky Sports would allow that, Ger.

Sky Sports is a subscription channel, & can be viewed on TV or via "Sky Go", so I can't imagine they would allow free viewing via Sky Poker. In fact I'm 100% certain they would not approve.

I know that Wynne (& others) have asked on several occasions for the "old" Sky Poker TV to resume. As I have tried to explain repeatedly, it is not possible. It's not a question of money, or lack of will, or anything else - it is simply not possible for a variety of Licensing, Regulatory, ASA & OFCOM reasons. Many of us connected with The Business - certainly all the TV Team, & myself, wish it were otherwise - we really do. But it's not possible, so we have to move on.

Fortunately, it has not affected Sky Poker's growth, which has continued unabated since the old Sky Poker shows disappeared as a result of becoming an independent company away from Big Sky.

• edited September 2016
    I guess subscribing to skyspots was the priority over sky poker then :).

Thats no problem.

thanks for the reply.

Ger
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Morning Graham, To address a few of those points. If they run a UKOPS Leaderboard, I would very much doubt it would be based on "rake points" as you describe them. Generally, Leaderboard are based on results., rather than volume, but the fact is, the more volume a player puts in, the more chance they have of getting results, so to a degree, the two are linked.   I don't think it is fair to say " MTT players are overlooked in Sky Poker Promos, maybe because they pay less rake ". Addressing the latter point first, it is not as cut & dried as "they pay less rake". MTT players, typically, migrate across to cash tables & SNG's when they exit their MTT's, so as a class of player, Sky Poker value them very highly. A successful UKOPS always generates extra traffic on the cash tables & SNG's. So whilst they may pay less margin in MTT's, that does not mean they contribute less margin overall. (Margin = cash game rake &/or Reg Fees).  MTT players Overlooked in Sky Promos? Well I'm not sure about that. The following all favour MTT players, I'd say.... Punta Cana Satellites Viva Las Vegas satellites UKOPS (usually 3 or 4 per year) Final Table Jackpot The fact is, it is actually quite hard to come up with Promos purely aimed at MTT regulars. I think Sky Poker do more in this area than most other sites, though .   I'm not sure SNG players would agree, either - as far as I can recall, they only benefit from one promo - Happy Days.   All players - cash players, MTT-ers & SNG-ers, tend to think they are hard done by. Nature of the beast. ;)      
    Posted by Tikay10

Cheers for the reply TK.

We could go back and forth here, but the important aspect is that it appears there will be a UKOPS leaderboard this time around, which will be great!

I think it is absolutely fine to encourage people to play more games to obtain more TLB points. This way the promotions will encourage people to play more, and the results will be based on the combination of volume and finishing positions.

Lets just say the tiers were

Less than £11
    Between £11-£49.99
    £50 +

People would be encouranged to play all the MTT's within their tier to assist them in gaining points. So they'd probably increase their volume, but without having to grind 24/7 to stand a chance.

Anyhow, I didn't mean this to come across as a moan, just a suggestion. So really looking forward to UKOPS and any associated TLB promo's.

All the best,

Graham 

• edited September 2016
    Leaderboard sounds great for low buy in players like me.

Hopefully Tk does the round up of the previous days action , which was a great read last time.
  • edited September 2016
    Leaderboard sounds great for low buy in players like me. Hopefully Tk does the round up of the previous days action , which was a great read last time.
    Posted by day4eire76
    That's very kind of you to say, thank you.

If I may say so, there was very positive feedback about them on the Forum last year, which was quite satisfying, as they took a good bit of effort - an hour each night to "frame them up" with number of runners, overlay etc, then 2 hours the next morning to put the meat on the bones. And I adored writing them, UKOPS is one of the highlights of the Sky Poker year, & I get quite a buzz from reporting the action.

The decision does not sit with me, others Upstairs decide that, but if they allow me to, I most certainly will, assuming I'm around. (My Dad told me never to take anything for granted).

Funnily enough, I was looking at those very Blogs a few days ago, sort of prepping myself for this year, so here's a taste of what to expect & a bit of a memory jerker for those who featured last time around. These are clickable links which take you straight to the Blogs.

FeelGroggy scores a UKOPS double on Sky Poker

UKOPS XVI blows a phuse on Day 2

CJY wins the Sky Poker UKOPS XVI Main for £8,710

Sky Poker UKOPS Main Event Winner? hahaha

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Cheers for the reply TK. We could go back and forth here, but the important aspect is that it appears there will be a UKOPS leaderboard this time around, which will be great! I think it is absolutely fine to encourage people to play more games to obtain more TLB points. This way the promotions will encourage people to play more, and the results will be based on the combination of volume and finishing positions. Lets just say the tiers were Less than £11 Between £11-£49.99 £50 + People would be encouranged to play all the MTT's within their tier to assist them in gaining points. So they'd probably increase their volume, but without having to grind 24/7 to stand a chance. Anyhow, I didn't mean this to come across as a moan, just a suggestion. So really looking forward to UKOPS and any associated TLB promo's. All the best, Graham 
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Hi Graham,

I'm not sure I could have this debate with too many, but you & I are friends, so I think we can do it constructively.

First up, Sky Sam dropped a broad hint in one of his posts. You must understand he is a Leeds lad, so does not really do subtle (or complicated stuff like adding up & taking away, humour, dress sense etc) so the hint was clear, but I don't plan to let any felines out of any bags, so I can only reply broadly.

He suggested they MAY do a Leaderboard. Well that's great it really is, & I hope they do.

It's a nice thing, a great thing to do, & some of the players will love it. I guess there is an assumption that there will be a Prize or prizes with it too, so that's great too. I LIKE all those things, & so will the players. 

Whether it drives extra traffic - & this is purely my personal opinion, not that of The Business - is quite another matter. I would bet good money that it won't drive much if any extra traffic.

Why so?

The truth is, in the big UKOPS Events, if there were a Leaderboard, I could forecast now with an 80% degree of accuracy who the Top Ten will be. There are a relatively small number of players who will play (almost) every event. And one of those will win it.

I don't begrudge or resent those guys, quite the opposite, that's not my point at all. But I know that of all the thousands of Uniques (Uniques = different people) who play this UKOPS, only a handful have even the remotest chance of winning a Leaderboard. And you or I could name every one. We could. 

So no, I'm not at all convinced a Leaderboard will drive extra traffic. I am convinced the Leaderboard winner will deserve it, & it will be a great UKOPS though. I'll not be playing much of it, I only play MTT's "Live" in Vegas these days generally, but I'm really loking forward to the buzz & lift it gives the whole site. 

And I'm especially looking forward to something that Not So Subtle Samuel hinted at. I think it will be just marvellous & I'm chuffed to bits.

;)    

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Hi Graham, I'm not sure I could have this debate with too many, but you & I are friends, so I think we can do it constructively. First up, Sky Sam dropped a broad hint in one of his posts. You must understand he is a Leeds lad, so does not really do subtle (or complicated stuff like adding up & taking away, humour, dress sense etc) so the hint was clear, but I don't plan to let any felines out of any bags, so I can only reply broadly. He suggested they MAY do a Leaderboard. Well that's great it really is, & I hope they do. It's a nice thing, a great thing to do, & some of the players will love it. I guess there is an assumption that there will be a Prize or prizes with it too, so that's great too. I LIKE all those things, & so will the players.  Whether it drives extra traffic - & this is purely my personal opinion, not that of The Business - is quite another matter. I would bet good money that it won't drive much if any extra traffic.   Why so? The truth is, in the big UKOPS Events, if there were a Leaderboard, I could forecast now with an 80% degree of accuracy who the Top Ten will be. There are a relatively small number of players who will play (almost) every event. And one of those will win it.   I don't begrudge or resent those guys, quite the opposite, that's not my point at all. But I know that of all the thousands of Uniques (Uniques = different people) who play this UKOPS, only a handful have even the remotest chance of winning a Leaderboard. And you or I could name every one. We could.  So no, I'm not at all convinced a Leaderboard will drive extra traffic. I am convinced the Leaderboard winner will deserve it, & it will be a great UKOPS though. I'll not be playing much of it, I only play MTT's "Live" in Vegas these days generally, but I'm really loking forward to the buzz & lift it gives the whole site.  And I'm especially looking forward to something that Not So Subtle Samuel hinted at. I think it will be just marvellous & I'm chuffed to bits. ;)    
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks for this reply TK, I have sent you a PM to Tikay10. :=)
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Thanks for this reply TK, I have sent you a PM to Tikay10. :=)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Boring
    Don't send him abusive pms 
    Call him names on the forum instead
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Boring Don't send him abusive pms  Call him names on the forum instead
    Posted by Jac35

I would never give TK abuse, on or off the forum, lol.

He's an absolute GEM, and we're lucky to have him! :=)
  • edited September 2016
    A £5/11 rebuy PL08 Bounty Hunter would be fun, £1k guarantee should be ok.
    £5/11 Deepstack 

Couple of tournaments that the small fry like me would play

Leaderboard for interest to the big boys.

Satellites week before events.

Hope all goes well,look forward to playing any within my bank roll.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII : Hi Graham, I'm not sure I could have this debate with too many, but you & I are friends, so I think we can do it constructively. First up, Sky Sam dropped a broad hint in one of his posts. You must understand he is a Leeds lad, so does not really do subtle (or complicated stuff like adding up & taking away, humour, dress sense etc) so the hint was clear, but I don't plan to let any felines out of any bags, so I can only reply broadly. He suggested they MAY do a Leaderboard. Well that's great it really is, & I hope they do. It's a nice thing, a great thing to do, & some of the players will love it. I guess there is an assumption that there will be a Prize or prizes with it too, so that's great too. I LIKE all those things, & so will the players.  Whether it drives extra traffic - & this is purely my personal opinion, not that of The Business - is quite another matter. I would bet good money that it won't drive much if any extra traffic.   Why so? The truth is, in the big UKOPS Events, if there were a Leaderboard, I could forecast now with an 80% degree of accuracy who the Top Ten will be. There are a relatively small number of players who will play (almost) every event. And one of those will win it.   I don't begrudge or resent those guys, quite the opposite, that's not my point at all. But I know that of all the thousands of Uniques (Uniques = different people) who play this UKOPS, only a handful have even the remotest chance of winning a Leaderboard. And you or I could name every one. We could.  So no, I'm not at all convinced a Leaderboard will drive extra traffic. I am convinced the Leaderboard winner will deserve it, & it will be a great UKOPS though. I'll not be playing much of it, I only play MTT's "Live" in Vegas these days generally, but I'm really loking forward to the buzz & lift it gives the whole site.  And I'm especially looking forward to something that Not So Subtle Samuel hinted at. I think it will be just marvellous & I'm chuffed to bits. ;)    
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi TK. Not so sure I agree with the statement below:

"I could forecast now with an 80% degree of accuracy who the Top Ten will be. There are a relatively small number of players who will play (almost) every event. And one of those will win it."

I would happily bet you 3 shillings and sixpence, that if you name 10 players, you would not have the top three all in your list. (1 or 2 maybe)

Who would your 10 be? (are you allowed to say?)

:=)

• edited September 2016
    Agree with StayOG that it is difficult to capture the top 3 in any list of ten but I will give it a go (in no particular order):

mattbates
    stayorgo
    Gsmith13
    feelgroggy
    bearlyther
    chickenmelt
    senorbegs
    railtard
    cjy
    PBKR

• edited September 2016
    A £5/11 rebuy PL08 Bounty Hunter would be fun, £1k guarantee should be ok. £5/11 Deepstack  Couple of tournaments that the small fry like me would play Leaderboard for interest to the big boys. Satellites week before events. Hope all goes well,look forward to playing any within my bank roll.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    My 2 cents...

More satellites of
    the
    format found for the £33 bounty hunters for the larger tournaments would be good. ie the ones that GT 10 or more places. They fill up well and attract all players.

A
    rpt of the £11 1K GT PL08 T at 8ish would be good. This has met its GT in previous UKOPS, as I recall it was the PLO ones which didn't.

I don't think PL08 BHs are a good idea or required. The games run loose and aggressive anyway. With the current system often not giving players sight of their cards, is adding to the code to enable high only bounties and head prizes a good idea?
  • edited September 2016
    Agree with StayOG that it is difficult to capture the top 3 in any list of ten but I will give it a go (in no particular order): mattbates stayorgo Gsmith13 feelgroggy bearlyther chickenmelt senorbegs railtard cjy PBKR
    Posted by SoLack
    Of course it is difficult-a case could be made for at least 50 players to be top 3. I agree with SoLack's 10-another 10 would be (in no particular order) :-

1. SoLack; 2. Lmfaoallin; 3. Limp2Lose; 4. JonTSnow; 5. Arrogant; 6. Wacko90; 7. Haysie; 8. Nutter 5932; 9. Rspca12; 10. TommyD

There is more depth than people realise on Sky-the 10 i have mentioned are (in my view) the equal of SoLack's-the most important factors will be luck and volume. It might be interesting to have a competition to name the top 10....

Phil

• edited September 2016
    Are sky able to do either multi day or multi flight tournaments? think both would be a good addition if possible.

like the idea of a leaderboard - if it had decent prizes i'd definately be playing everything. 

Another idea would be to have a "final" tournament that you qualify for by playing other UKOPS comps. Every time you enter a something you get chips. More if you cash/ FT/ Win etc. Everyone who earns more than a certain number of chips qualifies for the "final" tournament and the number of chips you have earnt is your starting stack. This would give "uniques" much more of a chance to be involved and probably generate some extra repeat custome from them. (if they earn some chips and feel they now have a good chance of qualifying, they will probably try and earn some more)

what about mixed game comps? I know sky can only facilitate PLO, PLO8 and NLH (and PLH i guess, but who wants to play that).

Team comps? split prizepool for individual finishing positions + overall team position.
  • edited September 2016
    different speed blinds? starting quick then slowing down, or just slowing for the FT. Could have a tournament that started fairly late and was a hyper until the money, then turbo until the final table.

• edited September 2016
    ^^ some really good ideas there from mr melt. like mixed format, like multi day flights, perhaps 3 different low buy in events he, plo, oh8, part paid out for each event and top 10 from each playing a he ''final day''
  • edited September 2016
    its getting complicated now, lets just have some decent tournies for all stakes.leaderboards n wot not dont intrest folks like me we just want to play tournies with a reasonable BI to have a shot at a score ..thats my take anyway..chill folks :)