You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker?

edited November 2016 in Poker Chat

Quite possible, yes, & it's a shame nothing could be squeezed into UKOPS, but there is now additional O8 Tourneys, so we are getting there slowly.

Think they need to get through October & November first though, the new MTT Schedule, both UKOPS, with their Leaderboards, & maybe some other stuff is quite a handful & will need all hands on deck.

Been a lot of changes of late, most of them very good imo, so let's give them a bit of time.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Shame an £11 PLO8 couldnt have sneaked its way in though to the UKOPS schedule.

Only negative from me and I must applaud the new mini series and leaderboard.

If the suits do not like mixing PLO(8) in with the UKOPS - how about a mini 2/3 day omaha festival one time - might bring in outside players to the site with a bit of social media and word of mouth build up?

edit:We have had a few circular debates in the past about regular larger BI PLO(8) tourneys. The suggestion is to have a one-off festival of OH events to see if it will get some people to try the format and hopefully attract people from other sites to a growing OH community here.

Ideas for the festival welcome, but also particularly interested in people who would want to play some smaller events, or try the main events if there was a one off festival with a range of larger and smaller Omaha and Omaha Hi-Lo events (hopefully it will be repeated if successful).

• edited October 2016
    I try not to be greedy on the PLO8 for UKOPS requests, just one £11 event means at least one person gets to be "UKOPS PLO8" champion. 

When run at a decent start time it has beat a £1k guarantee before. As well as the plopper community, leaderboard chasers will give it a go too. But that horse has bolted again so the idea of this thread is to promote an OH festival.

Maybe just a 2 night jobbie, one for OH and one for OH8.

Not too ambitious on buys in or guarantees but a title to go for and maybe something to create a buzz in the online world that Sky is a good place to play Omaha. Wont ever get the numbers of the "big site" but agree that much has improved and being the 2nd best for numbers and easily the best for playing experience would attract plenty of OH enthisiasts (imo).

The likes of Markycash who have plenty of experience of other sites and seem to like it here are probably better placed to comment.

• edited October 2016
    during the last 2 UKOPS, I believe the £11 PL08 covered its 1K GT.

The £55 PLO last time didn't.

FWIW I could be wrong, but that's what I remembered.

Quite how the mini UKOPS doesn't have SEVERAL (ie 1 a week) PL08 T's is bizarre-just lower the GTs.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Omaha Festival:
    during the last 2 UKOPS, I believe the £11 PL08 covered its 1K GT. The £55 PLO last time didn't. FWIW I could be wrong, but that's what I remembered. Quite how the mini UKOPS doesn't have SEVERAL (ie 1 a week) PL08 T's is bizarre-just lower the GTs.
    Posted by suzy666

yes and yes
  • edited October 2016
    Within a UKOPS...

I suspect* the fear is that most ploppers will take a stab at NL UKOPS events (after all most of us play both to some degree) but few NL players will take a punt at a PLO(8) event, especially if multi-tabling several NL events and one OH event.

But having one would keep a vocal minority happy while not really affecting the NL community. Some NL players might give it a try out of curiousity or for league points and most would avoid. If the guarantee is low and met where is the harm?

For a Omaha Series...

I think there is a higher chance that more NL players will give it a try. Obviously there isnt much value to Sky in simply converting existing players from one format to another. The aim of a Omaha festival really is to try and bring new players to the site. 

You would have some flexibility to try some new things, might be a time to try a NLO or NLO8 bounty hunter?

* Just speculating - as we never get an explanation as to why there isn't one, even when there have been some and have had guarantees met in the past. Are the NL numbers down when a PLO8 event runs? Maybe someone somewhere has evidence that 1xPLO8 tounrey being on affects revenue negatively during a UKOPS? We know we are a minority interest group but that doesnt necessarily make it good business to ignore us. In case it needs stating I do not mean Tikay there.

• edited October 2016
    Within a UKOPS... I suspect* the fear is that most ploppers will take a stab at NL UKOPS events (after all most of us play both to some degree) but few NL players will take a punt at a PLO(8) event, especially if multi-tabling several NL events and one OH event. But having one would keep a vocal minority happy while not really affecting the NL community. Some NL players might give it a try out of curiousity or for league points and most would avoid. If the guarantee is low and met where is the harm? For a Omaha Series... I think there is a higher chance that more NL players will give it a try. Obviously there isnt much value to Sky in simply converting existing players from one format to another. The aim of a Omaha festival really is to try and bring new players to the site.  You would have some flexibility to try some new things, might be a time to try a NLO or NLO8 bounty hunter? * Just speculating - as we never get an explanation as to why there isn't one, even when there have been some and have had guarantees met in the past. Are the NL numbers down when a PLO8 event runs? Maybe someone somewhere has evidence that 1xPLO8 tounrey being on affects revenue negatively during a UKOPS? We know we are a minority interest group but that doesnt necessarily make it good business to ignore us. In case it needs stating I do not mean Tikay there.
    Posted by Phantom66
    No UKOPS for me this time. :-(

• edited October 2016
    Within a UKOPS... I suspect* the fear is that most ploppers will take a stab at NL UKOPS events (after all most of us play both to some degree) but few NL players will take a punt at a PLO(8) event, especially if multi-tabling several NL events and one OH event. But having one would keep a vocal minority happy while not really affecting the NL community. Some NL players might give it a try out of curiousity or for league points and most would avoid. If the guarantee is low and met where is the harm? For a Omaha Series... I think there is a higher chance that more NL players will give it a try. Obviously there isnt much value to Sky in simply converting existing players from one format to another. The aim of a Omaha festival really is to try and bring new players to the site.  You would have some flexibility to try some new things, might be a time to try a NLO or NLO8 bounty hunter? * Just speculating - as we never get an explanation as to why there isn't one, even when there have been some and have had guarantees met in the past. Are the NL numbers down when a PLO8 event runs? Maybe someone somewhere has evidence that 1xPLO8 tounrey being on affects revenue negatively during a UKOPS? We know we are a minority interest group but that doesnt necessarily make it good business to ignore us. In case it needs stating I do not mean Tikay there.
    Posted by Phantom66

Think that's a little unfair POTO.

I generally try to answer all reasonably phrased questions.*

I discussed this matter with James & Sam a month or two ago when the Schedule was being constructed. It was not that a PLO8 would not make it's Guarantee, not at all. It was just that other, more popular events, would have to make way for it. I would (at a guess) think that 95% of the Site player base don't have any or much interest in the 4 card game.

Fingers crossed they may find room in the next UKOPS though.

Note there is already a £5,000 PLO event in UKOPS XVII.

Fact is, not all of us can have exactly what we want in these things. I'm as sad as anyone about it, but it is what it is.

*Unless they have multiple question marks &/or exclamation marks appended. I generally avoid replying to them, as I don't like the notion that people think I'm dumb & can't read properly, or have eyes that miss the first one but might see the second one. Even thinking about it irritates me. AND DON'T UPSET ME ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON.     

• edited October 2016
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well they just revved up the regular PLO8 Schedule, did they not? Those players I spoke to about it said it was much better than before.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Omaha Festival : Think that's a little unfair POTO. I generally try to answer all reasonably phrased questions.* I discussed this matter with James & Sam a month or two ago when the Schedule was being constructed. It was not that a PLO8 would not make it's Guarantee, not at all. It was just that other, more popular events, would have to make way for it. I would (at a guess) think that 95% of the Site player base don't have any or much interest in the 4 card game. Fingers crossed they may find room in the next UKOPS though.   Note there is already a £5,000 PLO event in UKOPS XVII.   Fact is, not all of us can have exactly what we want in these things. I'm as sad as anyone about it, but it is what it is.   *Unless they have multiple question marks &/or exclamation marks appended. I generally avoid replying to them, as I don't like the notion that people think I'm dumb & can't read properly, or have eyes that miss the first one but might see the second one. Even thinking about it irritates me. AND DON'T UPSET ME ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for that Tikay, but that is genuinely the first time I can remember that particular reasoning. You do always communicate and often bear the brunt of an unpopular decision you did not make. Not inteding to upset you Tikay, I cant remember ever making a negative post about you. 95% of the time I am highly supportive of the site in general, 5% I amy disagree but try to make a reasoned arguement and make positive suggestions.

I cant see much of a reaction happening if one of the many mini NL B/Hs was dropped but you always get a reaction when there is no PLO8 event. The precedent was set, the guarantee was met, then it was dropped again, 2 UKOPS running.

Rather than having the usual debate however, my motive for this thread was to offer a positive alternative and I deiberately started a different thread as I did not want to derail the mini leaderboard thread which is a fantastic addition.

Have a good weekend. Might see you at a PLO8 table and if I do rest assured not a word will be typed about UKOPS PLO8 events. Promise.

• edited October 2016
    Meanwhile if any other ploppers want to post in support of a UKOPS PLO8 or a Omaha festival please do.

At the moment I feel even more in the minority than the UKOPS schedule did.
  • edited October 2016

POTO,

You never upset me, not at all, 

Just having bants mate.
  • edited October 2016

....though if you had appended multiple punctuation you might have.....
  • edited October 2016
    If there was a cheap plo festival, maybe over 3 days, I would play as many as possible within my bankroll (£2.20 and below for normal with the odd more expensive one thrown in).

I do enjoy the game, I play it less than I should mainly because I multi-table quite a few games a night when I play, and most are NLHE.  Then I get mixed up between games.  If there was a festival where I could play maybe 4 games, I would be able to drop the NLHE and play the other for a while.

I guess this is what the suits want to avoid though
  • edited October 2016
    If there was a cheap plo festival, maybe over 3 days, I would play as many as possible within my bankroll (£2.20 and below for normal with the odd more expensive one thrown in). I do enjoy the game, I play it less than I should mainly because I multi-table quite a few games a night when I play, and most are NLHE.  Then I get mixed up between games.  If there was a festival where I could play maybe 4 games, I would be able to drop the NLHE and play the other for a while. I guess this is what the suits want to avoid though
    Posted by MrWh1te
    I see no reason why that can't happen.

I'll certainly suggest, to happen between now & Xmas.

I'll let everyone know what they say. Pretty sure they will do it. 

• edited October 2016
    Are we talking different tournies, or quarters and semis leading to a final? There are many new players plopping as far as I can make out, but there is a touch of churn also.
    Posted by chilling
    I'm afraid you've lost me there. Can you re-phrase that, please?
  • edited October 2016
    My thought was something like....

All pot limit tourneys
    33 main
    11 side
    5 mini
    2 micro

Plus maybe for fun a 3 NL bounty hunter

If we are feeling ambitious maybe a 110 high roller
  • edited October 2016
    If there was a cheap plo festival, maybe over 3 days, I would play as many as possible within my bankroll (£2.20 and below for normal with the odd more expensive one thrown in). I do enjoy the game, I play it less than I should mainly because I multi-table quite a few games a night when I play, and most are NLHE.  Then I get mixed up between games.  If there was a festival where I could play maybe 4 games, I would be able to drop the NLHE and play the other for a while. I guess this is what the suits want to avoid though
    Posted by MrWh1te

We have that every thursday in plo8 so my plan was to get bigger fields and some higher buyins. I would play plo as well as plo8 but not on the same night. 

• edited October 2016

Yeah but that's a weekly thing that I cant commit to as weekdays are bad, (I'm a teacher).

A one-off I would.  And weekends I would :)

I am of course, only thinking of me :)

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Omaha Festival : No UKOPS for me this time. :-(
    Posted by VespaPX

+1 
  • edited October 2016
    anything that brings more players to the table has got to be good but i think the buy ins would have to be quite low as people that just want to try it out wouldnt want to waste too much money on something they are not to sure about on saying that i would like to see a flagship tournament of say £33 that you could satelite into like the regular games that run through the weeks in nlh
  • edited October 2016
    Trying to be realistic and come up with something that will get through the suits.

Most of the money is generated on the site by the multitablers who play cash and a significant contribution comes from MTTs and SNGs. Probably 99% of that is NLH. So I am not expecting OH to suddenly gain a substantial share of the pie or management attention.

I do think however that an active OH community can do 2 things for sky.

1. Give an alternative to players, enthusiasts of the game who want to try and learn something different. Maybe off the back of a downswing, or just getting bored of NL. Keeping players who might otherwise leave the site.

2. Attract players from other sites and offering Sky as a niche in the OH market.

I don't expect sky to spend any significant marketing time or money on this and I dont expect them to risk anything on over ambitous guarantees. It would never compete with a flagship viva las vegas or UKOPS promotion.

Simply put it up there, maybe late January for 3 nights, post about it on social media, encourage existing OH players to tell friends who play elsewhere about it etc. Tikay could write a blog post on it, Neil could play a few events as part of the Challenge Channing series etc.

• edited October 2016
    My thought was something like.... All pot limit tourneys 33 main 11 side 5 mini 2 micro Plus maybe for fun a 3 NL bounty hunter If we are feeling ambitious maybe a 110 high roller
    Posted by Phantom66
    Something along those lines is entirely possible.

I would serve the £110 High Roller for now, personally, even though I'd love to play such a thing here.

£3 NL PLO8 BH? Wash your mouth out.....though, amazingly, I think many might enjoy just an abomination, such a travesty against the beautiful game.  

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker?:
    I think hi lo is always going to be a tough sell.If you want to grab the attention of the multi tabling nl hm players, you need a carrot. That carrot is always the prize fund. Im wondering whether a £5•50 one rebuy would be worth a trial , to see if theres enough interest generated. Maybe with a one off extra large poker points bonus for the final tablers or just the winner.
    Posted by chilling
    Hi chilling. I am not really trying to grab the attention of the multi tabling hm players. I am trying to grab the attention of :

1. Low stakes recreational NLH players who may want to try something new.
    2. Existing OH players who currently play elsewhere

Definitely a good idea to have a rebuy in the festival schedule though.

If there is a bigger event that the nl regs want a stab at then that's fine too obviously.

Incidentally some of those nl big stakes regs did have a bash at previous UKOPs PLO8 events and did pretty well, what they lack in PLO8 fineries they more than make for in use of aggression and position and managing stack/table dynamics in a MTT.
  • edited October 2016

^^^^

Just remember that PLO8 or PLO Rebuys would severely disadvantage many of the O8 regulars here, who, generally, like to manage their bankrolls sensibly.
  • edited October 2016
    ^^^Agreed.

I was probably thinking but not typing single rebuy. A £1 cheapy with 2 bullets might attract some to try it out and a £5er might smooth out the cost of entering effectively an £11 event.

• edited October 2016
    First off, I do enjoy PLO variants and play at least a few most night, but....

I think we have to remember this is only going to attract a small portion of the playing population, 

Not sure about an Omaha festival TBH, the MTTs Sky put on are slowly gathering pace, the £3 and £5 games are picking up, we are seeing the £10 and £15 DYMs starting to run more often (however still very dependent on an ancient sage populating the tables), is this enough interest to generate a festival? 

The last £11 UKOPS event beat its guarantee and could potentially have been slotted into the mini week, its unrealistic to try a higher buy in (IMO) but perhaps events at each of the mini levels could have been tried PLO, PLO8 and even PLO B/H perhaps? (NLO is also an option, but I won't suggest it in case TK growls at me ;-))

Maybe these could be tried without guarantees to see if they were popular, and if so perhaps look at next UKOPS as an add on rather than replace existing (popular) B/h and rebuy HE.

Just some thoughts :-)
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Omaha Festival : No UKOPS for me this time. :-(
    Posted by VespaPX

Nevermind, great schedule for those that make up the vast, vast majority of the site playing NLHE.
  • edited October 2016
    Doesn't appear to be much support for it here....I'll get my coat.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm also pretty disappointed that an omaha hi lo MTT couldn't find its way into the UKOPS schedule, I quite like that silly 4 card game.
  • edited October 2016
    Not sure I could suggest a schedule as I'm not familiar enough with the omaha population here yet. But would 100% play any omaha games that made the 'festival'.