You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker?

Comments

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker?:
    Not sure I could suggest a schedule as I'm not familiar enough with the omaha population here yet. But would 100% play any omaha games that made the 'festival'. 
    Posted by Poker_Wolf
    Thanks. Just the sort of post I am after. Doesn't matter if you do not have a view on size/types of events, a positive post that you would play the games is fantastic.

• edited October 2016
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks Vespa, might be obv to me and you, but wouldnt be to the suits if you didnt post.

• edited October 2016
    would give it a go if possible
  • edited October 2016
    I would be inclined to play a plo8 mtt as part of a wider festival.  Although I generally don't play mtt these days owing to the time required, I would prefer to play a plo8 mtt rather than a holdem.    
  • edited October 2016
    I would hope to play some
  • edited October 2016
    I admire the enthusiasm but what's more important is how many runners the current plo mtts are getting. Sunday night's £100 £5.50 hi-lo game only got 16 runners. I don't think there are enough ploppers who would play for £11+ right now.
  • edited October 2016

I will add my halfpenny here too. 

I DO admire how the PLO8 games have grown on here and how the 'ploppers' have formed their own little group. However, I also feel it has been to the detrimental effect of the PLO side. There is hardly any action on here now, apart from cash games. The Sng lobby for PLO is like a library full of cement books. 

Yes, I would welcome a Omaha Festival on here but you would need to realistically look at the numbers of who would be involved on both versions 

• edited October 2016
    Damning evidence from sky_james. Ploppers need to support a flagship tourney over the weekend, a £ 5•50 or £11•00  buyin.Im guilty of missing the£100 one on sunday myself.Strange how 40 or 50 odd turn out for the league, but don't play £5•50 over the weekend.It doesnt jump out at you in the lobby, maybe needs some glitter.I think a flagship tourney is going to have to break 100 runners just for starters. I wonder whether that really old fella, that plays dyms, could act the part of the carrot.
    Posted by chilling
    He'd be the donkey, more like.
  • edited October 2016
    I admire the enthusiasm but what's more important is how many runners the current plo mtts are getting. Sunday night's £100 £5.50 hi-lo game only got 16 runners. I don't think there are enough ploppers who would play for £11+ right now.
    Posted by Sky__James

Firstly thank you for joining the thread.

I am pretty sure that UKOPS PLO8s have met their guarantee (100+runners) in the past, That should prove that on an occasional basis people will pay for a larger event. Do you have the figures for entrants to confirm that? I think one may have missed slightly due to an unpopular start time.

I dont play many MTTs at all these days, but I am treating myself to a £33 main entry out of tokens saved. I would either save those up again or even just deposit if it wasn't in my bankroll to play a £33 one off event as part of a OH festival. I am sure others would do the same and/or try to satellite in and would definitely play the lower BI events.

I also agree with MAXALLY in that to a certain extent, the relative success of PLO8 has had a detrminental effect on PLO traffic. I tend to just play the occasional cash game at that now, mainly PLO8 dyms and when I can PLO8 MTTS. I still play NL too, but that is usually down to things like points promotions where it is much easier with turbo games to rack the points up. Speaking personally if there was a PLO night I would enter. I will try and satellite into the PLO UKOPS event but there is no way I would pay £55 for it. 

I believe that a mini festival would be a novel way of getting new visitors to the site, people who play OH tend to be of a certain demographic. Most that do play OH are generally "poker enthusiasts" who got a bit bored with the NL all-in-preflop affairs and like having more to think about and with the betting pot limited betting actually getting to play flops and down the streets more often too. The silver surfer/grey pound is a powerful sector in any business model. It's not all about the 18-21 year olds getting involved with poker for the first time. I am sure you do your market research and have stats to hand and I doubt you would give away the figures on an open forum, but you must have a significant portion of 45+ players who identify themselves as "poker enthusiasts". 

I agree we need to build the community from within too, the Thursday MTT league etc. The sunday £5 is a sad stat, I admit that and obviously not sustainable (thanks for the value tip though - may push entries up for next Sunday).

I just thought it might be worth a stab at trying to pull in others who currently play OH elsewhere which is my main point, and also give something to the existing community to strive for.

• edited October 2016
    Posted by Sky__James
    to be fair james the last 3 ukops have in the combined totals beaten the set guarentee and tbf the last 2(plo included) that missed badly never had much chance with the start times 5pm was always going to struggle think tikay might even have missed that one if i remember right.

ukops16 march 06

6pm - £1,000 Pot Limit Omaha, 71 runners, £290 overlay

5pm - £11 PLO8, £1,000 Guarantee75 runners, missed guarantee by £250

ukops 15 dec 2015

£1,000 UKOPS PLO £11 91 runners

£1,000 UKOPS PLO8 £11 97 runners

ukops 14 nov 2015 no start times for these.

£2,000 UKOPS Omaha £11 97 runners

£5,000 UKOPS 4 Omaha £55 117 runners

£1,000 UKOPS Omaha Rebuy 78 runners not sure if gtd met

£1,000 UKOPS Omaha Hi Lo £11 132 runners

£2,000 UKOPS Omaha 68 runners not sure if gtd was met

£1,000 UKOPS Omaha Bounty Hunter £11 112 runners

Think there could have been 1 sqeezed in about 7/7.30 one night but no point complaining pretty sure james will help with trying to get this idea off the ground.

But not really sure how a festival would work tbh as james says the game is struggling just now the thursday night games have even slowed down even now when you would have thought they would be picking up again don't think the schedule change has helped either.

Less games only 1 £1.10 game at night now getting about 30 when they had gone upto 40 50 in the 7.50 game and about 30 in the 9.20 game both dipped a bit in the summer but still had 60-80 entries combined.

the £5.50 game always struggle for as long as i can remember playing pl08 i thought getting the late reg changed from 20 mins to 30 would help but that has not made any difference.

Then on thursday the now it is very confusing with the way all the games are you have got

7.45 £1.10 fosp£50gtd

7.45 £3.30 £50gtd

8.15 pl08 £1.10£20gtd

8.15 £5.50 fosp £150gtd

8.30 £5.50 £100gtd

8.45 £2.20 fosp£100gtd

9.15 £1.10 fosp game£50gtd

But having less games on offer is not going to help attract or keep players there is £11& £16 dyms running now not to many but they never even used to be there before tikay asked for them but now run most nights well the nights tikay is on taking our money :}.

Hope you get it going i will join in.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker? : to be fair james the last 3 ukops have in the combined totals beaten the set guarentee and tbf the last 2 that missed badly never had much chance with the start times 5pm was always going to struggle think tikay might even have missed that one if i remember right. Think there could have been 1 squeezed in about 7/7.30 one night and it would have got the gtd even those that dont play often would have played as it was just a one of ukops game.  ukops16 march 06 6pm - £1,000 Pot Limit Omaha, 71 runners, £290 overlay 5pm - £11 PLO8, £1,000 Guarantee 75 runners, missed guarantee by £250 ukops 15 dec 2015 £1,000 UKOPS PLO £11 91 runners £1,000 UKOPS PLO8 £11 97 runners ukops 14 nov 2015 no start times for these. £2,000 UKOPS Omaha £11 97 runners £5,000 UKOPS 4 Omaha £55 117 runners £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Rebuy 78 runners not sure if gtd met £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Hi Lo £11 132 runners £2,000 UKOPS Omaha 68 runners not sure if gtd was met £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Bounty Hunter £11 112 runners Think there could have been 1 sqeezed in about 7/7.30 one night but no point complaining pretty sure james will help with trying to get this idea off the ground.   But not really sure how a festival would work tbh as james says the game is struggling just now the thursday night games have even slowed down even now when you would have thought they would be picking up again don't think the schedule change has helped either.   Less games only 1 £1.10 game at night now getting about 30 when they had gone upto 40 50 in the 7.50 game and about 30 in the 9.20 game both dipped a bit in the summer but still had 60-80 entries combined.   the £5.50 game always struggle for as long as i can remember playing pl08 i thought getting the late reg changed from 20 mins to 30 would help but that has not made any difference.   Then on thursday the now it is very confusing with the way all the games are you have got 7.45 £1.10 fosp£50gtd 7.45 £3.30 £50gtd 8.15 pl08 £1.10£20gtd 8.15 £5.50 fosp £150gtd 8.30 £5.50 £100gtd 8.45 £2.20 fosp£100gtd 9.15 £1.10 fosp game£50gtd   But having less games on offer is not going to help attract or keep players there is £11& £16 dyms running now not to many but they never even used to be there before tikay asked for them but now run most nights well the nights tikay is on taking our money :}. Hope you get it going i will join in.  
    Posted by churchy18
    Some interesting things in there. I didn't think the PLO 5K met its GT last time but meh. Such things may be difficult to calculate since many of those larger T's gain entrants from all in sats.

Clearly if there was a one off £11 PL08 T then timing is critical. 2030 on a thurs is the best and worst time for PL08 players unless a league sacrafice was to be made.
    TK did make a fair point earlier regarding sky's support to the league, and the added incentive to play with the free seat offer-which can be won by almost anyone on a thurs eve.

As for the regular 2025 £5.50 game; I think the thing that puts most people off is the variance. It regularly plays only 3 places and as such its very difficult for any of the less able players to take part. A hard core group of regs make it tough to profit.

Why not either lower the GT on quietier nights or switch it to a £3.30?
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks Churchy, I remember that first ever UKOPs PLO8 event that smashed the guarantee. It was originally scheduled for a 5/530 start and we asked on the forum if it could be moved. It was to 7/730 and did really well.

One thing about the whole age demographic, people who switch to OH in their 40s can go on playing for years, decades even if you take Tikay as an example.

RE:The £5 2025, maybe the 15% payout structure will make a difference? One other annoying factor is when tourneys with payouts that are only for 3/4 get held up pointlessly by FT bubble hand for hand play. Not saying it affects entry levels, but just thought I would mention it.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Thoughts on holding an Omaha Festival on Skypoker? : to be fair james the last 3 ukops have in the combined totals beaten the set guarentee and tbf the last 2(plo included) that missed badly never had much chance with the start times 5pm was always going to struggle think tikay might even have missed that one if i remember right. Think there could have been 1 squeezed in about 7/7.30 one night and it would have got the gtd even those that dont play often would have played as it was just a one of ukops game.  ukops16 march 06 6pm - £1,000 Pot Limit Omaha, 71 runners, £290 overlay 5pm - £11 PLO8, £1,000 Guarantee 75 runners, missed guarantee by £250 ukops 15 dec 2015 £1,000 UKOPS PLO £11 91 runners £1,000 UKOPS PLO8 £11 97 runners ukops 14 nov 2015 no start times for these. £2,000 UKOPS Omaha £11 97 runners £5,000 UKOPS 4 Omaha £55 117 runners £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Rebuy 78 runners not sure if gtd met £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Hi Lo £11 132 runners £2,000 UKOPS Omaha 68 runners not sure if gtd was met £1,000 UKOPS Omaha Bounty Hunter £11 112 runners Think there could have been 1 sqeezed in about 7/7.30 one night but no point complaining pretty sure james will help with trying to get this idea off the ground.   But not really sure how a festival would work tbh as james says the game is struggling just now the thursday night games have even slowed down even now when you would have thought they would be picking up again don't think the schedule change has helped either.   Less games only 1 £1.10 game at night now getting about 30 when they had gone upto 40 50 in the 7.50 game and about 30 in the 9.20 game both dipped a bit in the summer but still had 60-80 entries combined.   the £5.50 game always struggle for as long as i can remember playing pl08 i thought getting the late reg changed from 20 mins to 30 would help but that has not made any difference.   Then on thursday the now it is very confusing with the way all the games are you have got 7.45 £1.10 fosp£50gtd 7.45 £3.30 £50gtd 8.15 pl08 £1.10£20gtd 8.15 £5.50 fosp £150gtd 8.30 £5.50 £100gtd 8.45 £2.20 fosp£100gtd 9.15 £1.10 fosp game£50gtd   But having less games on offer is not going to help attract or keep players there is £11& £16 dyms running now not to many but they never even used to be there before tikay asked for them but now run most nights well the nights tikay is on taking our money :}. Hope you get it going i will join in.  
    Posted by churchy18

really agree with this Brian, the last few weeks since the change came in has indeed been confusing, YES they are labelled FOSP however it would IMHO benefit from a tweak... even taking the tourney details for the spreadsheets I've had to do a couple of doubletakes (could be old age, bad eyesight or both I suppose) but is also the reason I now post up the tourney links in the thread each week

• edited October 2016
    I also remember the days of the OMAHARTIGAN leagues in the good old days of Play The Presenter, and if anything like this was to be brought back I would be happy to do tables and the like could even have a mix of PLO & PLO8 

edit

I've just checked back on the numbers for the last one and there were 394 differebt players who played in it, and that was down to promoting on the forum FB groups and the like ........ Build it and they will come 
  • edited October 2016
    Noticed that the FOSP Tournament on Sunday didn't happen this week. 

It was getting about 20 - 25 runners, usually about five at the scheduled start time but quickly filling up. I had missed the last two weeks so not sure if they happened or not but it is a shame if this has gone out of the schedule permanently.

I used to record the results most weeks on FOSP Facebook page so have some of the numbers:

28 August - 20 Players
    21 August - 16 Players
    14 August - 13 Players
    7 August - 23 Players
    31 July - 14 Players
    24 July - 12 Players
    10 July - 17 Players
    3 July - 23 Players
    19 June - 25 Players
    12 June - 25 Players
    5 June - 24 Players

Not sure if this has now been removed permanently or whether it was based upon a poor turn out for one or two weeks.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks Churchy, I remember that first ever UKOPs PLO8 event that smashed the guarantee. It was originally scheduled for a 5/530 start and we asked on the forum if it could be moved. It was to 7/730 and did really well. One thing about the whole age demographic, people who switch to OH in their 40s can go on playing for years, decades even if you take Tikay as an example. RE:The £5 2025, maybe the 15% payout structure will make a difference? One other annoying factor is when tourneys with payouts that are only for 3/4 get held up pointlessly by FT bubble hand for hand play. Not saying it affects entry levels, but just thought I would mention it.
    Posted by Phantom66

Finally, now I understand why Jackson has been dabbling with/donating to 4 card poker.
  • edited October 2016
    "Most that do play OH are generally "poker enthusiasts" who got a bit bored with the NL all-in-preflop affairs"

Bet you were really bored tonight :)
  • edited October 2016
    Think Sky have to give you your festival now.  First belsibub cashing in Hi roller from a freeroll and now you.
    Great story for them. 
    Enter main with tokens saved up and do binks
  • edited October 2016
    "Most that do play OH are generally "poker enthusiasts" who got a bit bored with the NL all-in-preflop affairs" Bet you were really bored tonight :)
    Posted by Jac35

Well you have to have played alot of all-in pre hands to get bored of them so it helps you play a 10bb stack when you need to.

• edited October 2016
    If a plo/plo8 event were held I'd certainly play all tourneys (assuming i'm not busy)
  • edited October 2016
    Phantom suggested chucking my tuppence in so after reading through the thread I will :)

Firstly the positives...

The OH8 community on here is brilliant, the only other place I see comparable discussion on OH8 is on 2+2 and they are drawing people in from all sites. It is also a very welcoming community and for these 2 reasons, plus others, I will make sure to play plenty on Sky, albeit with interludes where I go AWOL due to having far more committments than I can be bothered with off the tables.

The strong community IMO is down to Mr T putting the hours in on the DYM tables, being helpful on the forums and being a great ambassador for not just OH8 but the site in general (so no gripes I ever have are directed at him, the forum is extremely lucky to have him IMO). The efforts of Churchy, Scouse, Aussie et al also help immensley and the way the ploppers behave on the tables is on the whole very welcoming to new players.

I also hear that positive tweaks have been made to the OH8 schedule which is great.

As for a mini OH8 festival... Brilliant idea (but then I would say that as I love OH8 lol)

I don't think it would detract much from the NLHE game. From my experience it isnt a case that OH8 gets promoted so NLHE players switch to OH8 and suddenly abandon NLHE, sure a few might, but most don't IMO. Instead a lot who play will be either ploppers who add additional games to their sessions, NLHE players adding additional games to their sessions or players playing them who might not otherwise be playing.

I personally think small tweaks here and there may have a positive impact but probably one with a bit of a 'glass ceiling'. I agree fully that there is an opportunity to exploit a niche market at the moment and make Sky a 'go to place' for OH8.

To hit that target though would probably require a very determined and concerted effort. Sorting the rake situation on the PLO/OH8 cash tables for example or even just having the PLO/OH8 tables on a permanent 2X player point 'happy hour' to draw steady traffic to them. Maybe introducing a daily £1 rebuy, and adding an additional PLO/OH8 freeroll set up outwith the current loyalty program to get new players trying the game. IMO those measures and a few more would grow a more diverse client base without negatively impacting on the NLHE crew.

At the end of the day though it depends what the suits priorities are. The promos here are IMO generous and imaginative and I thoroughly enjoy playing here whether they decide PLO/OH8 is an area they want to strengthen or not.
  • edited October 2016
    Phantom suggested chucking my tuppence in so after reading through the thread I will :) Firstly the positives... The OH8 community on here is brilliant, the only other place I see comparable discussion on OH8 is on 2+2 and they are drawing people in from all sites. It is also a very welcoming community and for these 2 reasons, plus others, I will make sure to play plenty on Sky, albeit with interludes where I go AWOL due to having far more committments than I can be bothered with off the tables. The strong community IMO is down to Mr T putting the hours in on the DYM tables, being helpful on the forums and being a great ambassador for not just OH8 but the site in general (so no gripes I ever have are directed at him, the forum is extremely lucky to have him IMO). The efforts of Churchy, Scouse, Aussie et al also help immensley and the way the ploppers behave on the tables is on the whole very welcoming to new players. I also hear that positive tweaks have been made to the OH8 schedule which is great. As for a mini OH8 festival... Brilliant idea (but then I would say that as I love OH8 lol) I don't think it would detract much from the NLHE game. From my experience it isnt a case that OH8 gets promoted so NLHE players switch to OH8 and suddenly abandon NLHE, sure a few might, but most don't IMO. Instead a lot who play will be either ploppers who add additional games to their sessions, NLHE players adding additional games to their sessions or players playing them who might not otherwise be playing. I personally think small tweaks here and there may have a positive impact but probably one with a bit of a 'glass ceiling'. I agree fully that there is an opportunity to exploit a niche market at the moment and make Sky a 'go to place' for OH8. To hit that target though would probably require a very determined and concerted effort. Sorting the rake situation on the PLO/OH8 cash tables for example or even just having the PLO/OH8 tables on a permanent 2X player point 'happy hour' to draw steady traffic to them. Maybe introducing a daily £1 rebuy, and adding an additional PLO/OH8 freeroll set up outwith the current loyalty program to get new players trying the game. IMO those measures and a few more would grow a more diverse client base without negatively impacting on the NLHE crew. At the end of the day though it depends what the suits priorities are. The promos here are IMO generous and imaginative and I thoroughly enjoy playing here whether they decide PLO/OH8 is an area they want to strengthen or not.
    Posted by markycash

+1
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks for posting. Some great points there marky.

I am glad that with your experience elsewhere you believe that sky could become a "go to" place for OH8.

Hope it happens, we can all help. I dont expect a chunk of marketing budget, or large guarantees or anything like that, but I think a mini festival would be a showcase for players already on the site and an attraction for others with a bit of social media/word of mouth. E.g. a Tikay blog, Neli Channing in as part of challenge channing tweetign about it. Players here posting on other forums etc.

Maybe try something different like a NLO bounty hunter too or a small rebuy/re-entry.

• edited November 2016
    so this thread has went a bit dead and no one mentioned the £5000 plo ukops game it missed its gtd by quite a chunk when you consider sky gave £1000 of that gtd away in tickets in the rewards freeroll.

Cant see why there was no pl08 event not much that we ask for a £1000 £11 buy in which has met and surpassed its gtd except 1 time when it kicked off at 5pm if there was £1000 of pl0 seats given away why not have a £1000 pl08 event no seat s would need to be given away if it gets a decent start time would easilly get the gtd met

Hopefully it will return in the xmas ukops.
  • edited November 2016
    The PLO this time was 4 seats short, £220. It was on Halloween which probably affected numbers a bit plus a £55 is a bit rich for most. I really wanted to play and was lucky enough to get in via satellite (which also had overlay which the suits wont have liked).

Seats are being given away via the rewards FR to al ot of events, some of which would have covered anyway and others may have been helped over the line. 

I would like to see one PLO and one PLO8 £22 in a UKOPS schedule, put on at decent times with satellites and I expect both would cover. 

Neither would be seen as a priority for the suits and I fully understand why given the volumes the NL and especially the B/Hs are making.

Still think the mini OH festival has possibilities so it doesnt become a NL v OH debate which OH will always lose.
  • edited November 2016
    Every single PLO8 game on a Thursday night consistently overlays so I've reduced the guarantees. If it can't reach £50 or £100 guarantees how do you expect it to reach £1000?
  • edited November 2016
    so this thread has went a bit dead and no one mentioned the £5000 plo ukops game it missed its gtd by quite a chunk when you consider sky gave £1000 of that gtd away in tickets in the rewards freeroll. Cant see why there was no pl08 event not much that we ask for a £1000 £11 buy in which has met and surpassed its gtd except 1 time when it kicked off at 5pm if there was £1000 of pl0 seats given away why not have a £1000 pl08 event no seat s would need to be given away if it gets a decent start time would easilly get the gtd met Hopefully it will return in the xmas ukops.
    Posted by churchy18
    Someone did, Brian........HERE
  • edited November 2016
    The PLO this time was 4 seats short, £220. It was on Halloween which probably affected numbers a bit plus a £55 is a bit rich for most. I really wanted to play and was lucky enough to get in via satellite (which also had overlay which the suits wont have liked). Seats are being given away via the rewards FR to al ot of events, some of which would have covered anyway and others may have been helped over the line.  I would like to see one PLO and one PLO8 £22 in a UKOPS schedule, put on at decent times with satellites and I expect both would cover.  Neither would be seen as a priority for the suits and I fully understand why given the volumes the NL and especially the B/Hs are making. Still think the mini OH festival has possibilities so it doesnt become a NL v OH debate which OH will always lose.
    Posted by Phantom66
    That could be arranged very easily, but personally I'd not be prepared to ask them to put any Guarantees on it. 
  • edited November 2016
    Every single PLO8 game on a Thursday night consistently overlays so I've reduced the guarantees. If it can't reach £50 or £100 guarantees how do you expect it to reach £1000?
    Posted by Sky__James
    That's not good, especially bearing in mind that on top of the overlay, Sky Poker also give away a lot of Freebies arising from these.

As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of PLO & PLO8, & I think Sky Poker have tried hard to help (as have folks like Brian), but they can't keep throwing good money after bad.