You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
So. On November 1st my bankroll stood at £17.15. I managed to add a bit more to that by floating around in a couple of £5.50 Bounty Hunters and then spun up a little more playing cash and my bankroll now stands at a staggering (not staggering) £165.13. After the announcement that there would be a points promotion next week until the end of the month I thought it might be an idea to aim for priority. 
My chances? Slim, at best. I drink too much and take shots too much and I'm not that good at poker. Still, I'm going to give it a whirl. If my bankroll evaporates this afternoon/evening then I'll just drift off back into the shadows. If not, I'll try to update daily. Thanks for reading. 

Bankroll: £165.13

Comments

• edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016

Good luck Mr State Route 23.

• edited November 2016
    good luck with that kind of bankroll if u want to make priority i would multitable as many dyms as u can still counts on sit n goes right less variance 
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks for the good wishes Jac35, Tikay and IDONKCALLU. Multitabling dyms (whilst playing low buy-in MTTs on the side, perhaps) isn't a bad idea at all but my dym game is littered with holes and I suspect the multitabling regs have got it pretty much sewn up over there. But I'll take a look and see if I have anything of an edge. My current, haphazard plan is to play mainly low stakes cash and hope to bink an MTT or two. I know, I know, as a plan it's horribly flawed. 
    Thanks again. 
  • edited November 2016
    I wish you luck and really hope you succeed. It will be a tough ask with that bank roll, but nothing ventured nothing gained, you can't win a raffle if you haven't bought a ticket and all that 
  • edited November 2016
    Sounds like good timing to give it a try - GL
  • edited November 2016
    Good luck really hope you achieve your goal of reaching priority :) enjoy
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks very much D-Angel and MP33. You too, Sir-Gary - it will indeed be a tough ask. 
    A bit of a mixed bag, today. After writing the above post I went and dropped three buy-ins at NL10 in about 15 minutes, then managed to grind it back up, then ground it up even further, then ground it back down, and then ended up pretty much break even. Breathless stuff. Reasonably happy with how I played but made a few boneheaded calls and mubsed it up a treat here and there. Also, outdraws.
    Opened a bottle of wine earlier this afternoon so I could add a little to a soup I was making. Ended up drinking the whole bottle. This may have influenced my playing today. Going to cook a rib-eye, then lie in bed drinking beer whilst reading Viz and watching Hypernormalisation. Too tired for poker. Not sure if this is the level of granularity that readers want - wine, beer, rib-eye, Viz - but that's what they're going to get, I'm afraid. 
    Another update tomorrow - thanks for reading. 

Bankroll: £178.28
    Points: Screwed this up earlier as I put down weekly - not monthly - total. Think it's roughly 800. 
  • edited November 2016
    "Not sure if this is the level of granularity that readers want"

Exactly what we want. 

• edited November 2016

^^^^

Agree.

We also like Diary notes on trains, buses, 'planes, Railway Termini, bridges, roads, trees, that sort of thing.
  • edited November 2016
    Best of luck with this. I got my highest rewards bonus I've ever got on Sky last week I think and that was only good for Silver lol That being said I'm not really a cash player. I've been considering going for Priority during the points promotion though seeing as I PLAN to play every MiniUKOPS event so might try and mix some cash / DYM in with it. 

Love to read things like this hope you make it!
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?:
     then lie in bed drinking beer
    I have attempted this and its a little awdkward.

I have many questions for you.

Im intrested in how you achive this and what techinque do you use ?

Do you have a shelf above you with a tube and a suction valve ?

Do you lie on one side propped up with your elbow ? 

(This hurts my elbow)

Or do you top up a small glass and drink from it ?

Do you play poker  using your toes ?

PS  knew a chap who used to do this often . but he ate lying down too , got bowl cancer and eventually died.
  • edited November 2016
    You should post more.

Subscribed.
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks very much D-Angel and MP33. You too, Sir-Gary - it will indeed be a tough ask.  A bit of a mixed bag, today. After writing the above post I went and dropped three buy-ins at NL10 in about 15 minutes, then managed to grind it back up, then ground it up even further, then ground it back down, and then ended up pretty much break even. Breathless stuff. Reasonably happy with how I played but made a few boneheaded calls and mubsed it up a treat here and there. Also, outdraws. Opened a bottle of wine earlier this afternoon so I could add a little to a soup I was making. Ended up drinking the whole bottle. This may have influenced my playing today. Going to cook a rib-eye, then lie in bed drinking beer whilst reading Viz and watching Hypernormalisation. Too tired for poker. Not sure if this is the level of granularity that readers want - wine, beer, rib-eye, Viz - but that's what they're going to get, I'm afraid.  Another update tomorrow - thanks for reading.  Bankroll: £178.28 Points: Screwed this up earlier as I put down weekly - not monthly - total. Think it's roughly 800. 
    Posted by SR23
    Watched this last week on iplayer, fascinating and frightening all wrapped together. 

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Watched this last week on iplayer, fascinating and frightening all wrapped together. 
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Didn't get around to watching this last night, although I am a fan of Adam Curtis' work, even though some of it leaves me feeling distinctly uneasy. 
  • edited November 2016
    You should post more. Subscribed.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks man, will do. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : I have attempted this and its a little awdkward. I have many questions for you. Im intrested in how you achive this and what techinque do you use ? Do you have a shelf above you with a tube and a suction valve ? Do you lie on one side propped up with your elbow ?  (This hurts my elbow) Or do you top up a small glass and drink from it ? Do you play poker  using your toes ? PS  knew a chap who used to do this often . but he ate lying down too , got bowl cancer and eventually died.
    Posted by mumsie
    Questions are good. I tend to plump for: propped up by pillows on back, elbow, other elbow. If I manage to make Priority then I'm going to buy one of those baseball caps with beer cans on the side and a bendy straw. Then there will be no stopping me. 
  • edited November 2016
    Best of luck with this. I got my highest rewards bonus I've ever got on Sky last week I think and that was only good for Silver lol That being said I'm not really a cash player. I've been considering going for Priority during the points promotion though seeing as I PLAN to play every MiniUKOPS event so might try and mix some cash / DYM in with it.  Love to read things like this hope you make it!
    Posted by Poker_Wolf
    Thanks very much indeed, Wolfy. One will try one's best. Best of luck to you, too, if you decide to give it a whirl. 
  • edited November 2016
    ^^^^ Agree. We also like Diary notes on trains, buses, 'planes, Railway Termini, bridges, roads, trees, that sort of thing.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I've got some thrilling train anecdotes that I may be able to crowbar in, including slicing through centre of Australia on the Ghan and agreeing to marry a stranger on an overnight train from New York to Florida. Got some good tree stuff as well. 
  • edited November 2016
    "Not sure if this is the level of granularity that readers want" Exactly what we want. 
    Posted by Jac35
    Excellent, excellent. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : I've got some thrilling train anecdotes that I may be able to crowbar in, including slicing through centre of Australia on the Ghan and agreeing to marry a stranger on an overnight train from New York to Florida. Got some good tree stuff as well. 
    Posted by SR23

You've done the Ghan? I did it the other way on the Indian-Pacific or whatever its called, back in 2010. Glad I did it but in no rush to repeat it, 3 days on a train doesn't half drag. All outback looks the same after an hour, let alone 72!

More on the marriage agreement please.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : I've got some thrilling train anecdotes that I may be able to crowbar in, including slicing through centre of Australia on the Ghan and agreeing to marry a stranger on an overnight train from New York to Florida. Got some good tree stuff as well. 
    Posted by SR23
    Big Amtrak fan here, try to take an Amtrak every year. Have been on the Pacific Surfliner twice.
  • edited November 2016

Big admirer of trees, too. People take them for granted, but they come in so many shapes & sizes, & each shape & size is for a reason.  
  • edited November 2016
    Amtrak's the nuts. Bought a month long pass a decade or so ago for, I think, $400 and went pretty much everywhere. Ran out of money towards the end of my trip, hence getting the train to Florida and back (from New York) so I had somewhere to sleep (and agree to get married to a half-Greek, half-Haitian woman who wanted a British passport. We kept in touch for a few months but it fizzled out. It always does). 
    Does the Pacific Surfliner run from LA to San Diego? If so, I've been on it. The scenery is pure ace. I can stare at a tree for hours. 
    I really liked the Ghan - managed to wangle a free upgrade to a cabin (are they called cabins?) which helped, and just sat staring at nothing for days whilst drinking wine. Planning, executing, then celebrating pulling moonies as you left train stations helped to hoover up a lot of hours. 
  • edited November 2016
    Amtrak's the nuts. Bought a month long pass a decade or so ago for, I think, $400 and went pretty much everywhere. Ran out of money towards the end of my trip, hence getting the train to Florida and back (from New York) so I had somewhere to sleep (and agree to get married to a half-Greek, half-Haitian woman who wanted a British passport. We kept in touch for a few months but it fizzled out. It always does).  Does the Pacific Surfliner run from LA to San Diego? If so, I've been on it. The scenery is pure ace. I can stare at a tree for hours.  I really liked the Ghan - managed to wangle a free upgrade to a cabin (are they called cabins?) which helped, and just sat staring at nothing for days whilst drinking wine. Planning, executing, then celebrating pulling moonies as you left train stations helped to hoover up a lot of hours. 
    Posted by SR23
    That's the one, we've done it in both directions. It actually runs farther north than LA, but we've not done that yet.

The Bucket List includes the Sunset Limited (because it was in that film, "The Sting) & the California Zephyr. Trouble is I have a big bucket, & it's full.  

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : That's the one, we've done it in both directions. It actually runs farther north than LA, but we've not done that yet.   The Bucket List includes the Sunset Limited (because it was in that film, "The Sting) & the California Zephyr. Trouble is I have a big bucket, & it's full.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Full buckets, eh? Well, I hope you manage them both, they look splendid. I don't want to turn this into a train journey thread (I do really) but did you know you can get the train and ferry from Dublin TO ANYWHERE IN THE UK for £45. And vice-versa. At least you could earlier in the year when I went over for the Norwegian Poker Championships. Bits of north Wales were stunning. 
  • edited November 2016
    I was hoping to bink a tournament or two during the month and earlier managed to luckbox my way to winning the £1,000 freeroll earlier this evening for £100. Good times. Scooped up a seat for the UKOPS ME on Sunday for finishing in the top ten, too. More good times. 
    I love getting hammered on Friday evening and staying hammered throughout much of the weekend but it's not an optimal approach when trying to reach priority on a slender bankroll. So earlier I met a couple of pals, had two pints, then made my excuses and left. Drank water and camomile tea instead of booze whilst listening to Radio 3 (too granular?) and felt my game was better for it. Then started drinking neat whisky and felt my game was not better for it. Made some horrible blunders here and there and my thinking was often sloppy but managed to make a profit. 
    More granularity to follow over the weekend. Peace out. 

Bankroll: £320.32
  • edited November 2016
    Nice binkage and GL for Sunday ME.

Enjoying the diary. You could tone down the train talk for me but it keeps the old fella happy so I'll live with it.
  • edited November 2016
    Nice binkage and GL for Sunday ME. Enjoying the diary. You could tone down the train talk for me but it keeps the old fella happy so I'll live with it.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Cheers Phantom, appreciate it. Planning on less train stuff* and less ooh-look-at-me-I'm-drinking-alcohol stuff over the next few weeks, and more of an emphasis on poker. I may actually post some interesting hands/spots so, you know, look out for that. 

*Not really, Tikay.
  • edited November 2016
    Great reading, yes less of the booze as you make silly mistakes. You can do this, just need to get yourself in the right frame of mindset. Looking forward to reading more of your poker grind blog. Good luck in Ukops. Run golden.