You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?

Comments

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?:
    You sound so butch Tikay
    Posted by Jac35
    So we cool?
  • edited November 2016
    Mafia controlled diary. 

Threats, counter threats and protection demands delivered.

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : If we just write about our successes (wins, profits) & never mention our failures (losses) then yes, it's a bit self-indulgent. In the same way, if we just chronicle our bad beats, as some Diaries here used to, without referencing the times we got lucky, again, it does not read well.  As in all things, honesty, balance, humility & modesty help immensely. So are we all agreed then - you continue to Diary? If not..... And when you're gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. You lost all your L.A. privileges. Deal?       
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is good, because...
  • edited November 2016
    ...yesterday was a stinker. 

Went to play a live satellite to qualify for a local tournament this weekend. Thought I'd play cash for an hour or so and then late reg. The plan was to make the £46 for the satellite. The plan wasn't to hero call a river bet with ace-high (and lose to a better ace-high) then tilt-call a good reg's raise in the very next hand with 7-4. 

Still, 7-4 doesn't seem such a bad hand when the flop comes down 544. Good reg leads, I call, and a player behind calls. Turn is a 9. For someone reason this spooks me. Good reg leads (big) again. I call, and the player behind calls. "If he leads again," I say to myself, "This needs thinking about." Good reg jams. I don't really think about it, I trick myself into thinking what I want to think about it: he can do this with overpairs targetting smaller overpairs (he can, but isn't), he knows that I can fold a four here (he does, but isn't doing this either), lots of stuff has missed (it hasn't, not really), I've flopped trips and I can't fold and I want to show everyone how unlucky I am (I have, and I can't, and I do). 

So, yes, he has pocket nines. Think I'm good enough to fold there. But there's no point being good enough to fold there if you're not going to fold there. 

I smoke, then play the satellite. Three seats guaranteed with just five players. I make it six, so am welcomed to the table with a chorus of groans. The first hand I get (A3) I open, to more groans and five folds. "It's bad luck to win your first hand," says someone. "It's the only hand I'm going to win," I say, hilariously. 

The hilarity continues as I nit fold J5 and 93 for a few orbits, then pick up KK, jam over an UTG open, get called and am drawing more or less dead versus AKhh on an all heart flop. I jam (blind) my next hand in the small blind with an awesome 2.5 big blinds and then I'm off, home, to play online. 

This is hilarious, too. Sample hand: good (borderline excellent) reg opens in the cut off, I 3b on the button with Q9s. Flop: 938. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn ace. Check-bet-call. River 6. Check-check and good (but not in this hand excellent) reg has 86. Similar hands happened again and again. When people weren't binking against me they were outplaying me and I soon found myself in a soupy poker nightmare. It went on for hours. 

Still, points have gone up. Rocketed up, in fact. And despite not having a great deal of sleep and losing a fair bit last night I am in a delightful mood today. It's cold and bright which is my favourite weather (ainec). I'm going to float around in a couple of low-stakes MTTs later this afternoon and try and recreate the easy going, riverboat roots* of poker rather than the more nerve-jangling and intense multi-tabling of cash games. 

Plus - and I mean, come on - I live in the kind of luxury medieval kings and queens could only dream of: hot showers, wines from three continents in my kitchen, electricity, food from around the world (and lots of it) in my fridge, comfortable clothes from around the world (and lots of them) in my wardrobe, practically zero threat from physical violence etc. etc. etc. Losing a few buy-ins is not that big a deal. If you had offered me a bankroll of £1228.77 and 9689 points on the 1st November with a couple of days to go until the end of the month I'd have (1) laughed (2) snapped your hand off. 

Bankroll: £1228.77

*what the hell am I going on about here? This is awful. "Riverboat roots"? Jesus, like I know about the history of poker. Still, I'm leaving it in because it's so hilariously bad. 

• edited November 2016
    So. I raise UTG with QTss and get four callers. The flop is JT6 rainbow. I lead and get one call. Turn: 4. Check-bet(pot)-call. The river is a brick. I check, the spiky, unpredictable villain bets around 4/5ths of the pot, I snap, and am good against K9hh. With that, I make priority. 

It's good to be here in the Priority Club. You should come and check it out. It's all Chesterfields, sherry and cigars for breakfast and reading about the cricket in The Telegraph. At least I hope it's going to be like that, rather than a month haemorrhaging my bankroll trying to scoop one of the prizes on offer in next month's promo. 

What else? Freerolls, rakeback, bubble insurance and, best of all, an Enhanced Service Team "who will be on hand to answer any questions you may have." This is good as I have lots of questions, questions like: 

"What pair of trainers should I buy next?"

"There's a woman who works in a cafe at the end of my road and we have been making eyes at each other for over two years now whenever I walk past; should I ask her out?"

"Do you get scared when trying to go to sleep at night and it suddenly hits you that you are descended from an ape, and hurtling through space on a rock and are essentially just this brain covered in bone and blood and flesh and other matter?"

"But, seriously, what trainers?"

Not much else to say, for now. I'll try and do a better, less knockabout, and maybe even poignant summing up over the next couple of days as there is still a day or two to go until the end of the month. 

Thanks very much for reading, for the comments, and for the messages of goodwill on the tables. 

Peace out. 

Bankroll: £1307.18

• edited November 2016
    Congrats. Long time lurker, first time contributor. Been considering writing my own again for some much needed spark in my game but I cant compete with your (and others) great posts.

Well done and keep us informed of what its like up there in First Class. I hear the canapes are nice.
  • edited November 2016
    So. I raise UTG with QTss and get four callers. The flop is JT6 rainbow. I lead and get one call. Turn: 4. Check-bet(pot)-call. The river is a brick. I check, the spiky, unpredictable villain bets around 4/5ths of the pot, I snap, and am good against K9hh. With that, I make priority.  It's good to be here in the Priority Club. You should come and check it out. It's all Chesterfields, sherry and cigars for breakfast and reading about the cricket in The Telegraph. At least I hope it's going to be like that, rather than a month haemorrhaging my bankroll trying to scoop one of the prizes on offer in next month's promo.  What else? Freerolls, rakeback, bubble insurance and, best of all, an Enhanced Service Team "who will be on hand to answer any questions you may have." This is good as I have lots of questions, questions like:  "What pair of trainers should I buy next?"  "There's a woman who works in a cafe at the end of my road and we have been making eyes at each other for over two years now whenever I walk past; should I ask her out?" "Do you get scared when trying to go to sleep at night and it suddenly hits you that you are descended from an ape, and hurtling through space on a rock and are essentially just this brain covered in bone and blood and flesh and other matter?" "But, seriously, what trainers?" Not much else to say, for now. I'll try and do a better, less knockabout, and maybe even poignant summing up over the next couple of days as there is still a day or two to go until the end of the month.  Thanks very much for reading, for the comments, and for the messages of goodwill on the tables.  Peace out.  Points: 10003 Bankroll: £1307.18
    Posted by SR23

very well done SR totally deserved, as for the write-ups / diary. It has been a cracking read all the way through, and I would like to echo what tikay said, and ask you to carry on.

we wouldn't want tumbleweed blowing across the old forum now would we.

As for the trainers...... I think a good starting point would be a pair that fit obv ;)

anyways enough ramblings, once again very well done  :)

• edited November 2016
    BIG well done. VERY enjoyable read....keep posting.
    p.s. Still reckon hair looks better.  ;-)))
  • edited November 2016
    Well done on prio and thanks for a non-arrogant entertaining quality diary.
  • edited November 2016
    So. I raise UTG with QTss and get four callers. The flop is JT6 rainbow. I lead and get one call. Turn: 4. Check-bet(pot)-call. The river is a brick. I check, the spiky, unpredictable villain bets around 4/5ths of the pot, I snap, and am good against K9hh. With that, I make priority.  It's good to be here in the Priority Club. You should come and check it out. It's all Chesterfields, sherry and cigars for breakfast and reading about the cricket in The Telegraph. At least I hope it's going to be like that, rather than a month haemorrhaging my bankroll trying to scoop one of the prizes on offer in next month's promo.  What else? Freerolls, rakeback, bubble insurance and, best of all, an Enhanced Service Team "who will be on hand to answer any questions you may have." This is good as I have lots of questions, questions like:  "What pair of trainers should I buy next?"  "There's a woman who works in a cafe at the end of my road and we have been making eyes at each other for over two years now whenever I walk past; should I ask her out?" "Do you get scared when trying to go to sleep at night and it suddenly hits you that you are descended from an ape, and hurtling through space on a rock and are essentially just this brain covered in bone and blood and flesh and other matter?" "But, seriously, what trainers?" Not much else to say, for now. I'll try and do a better, less knockabout, and maybe even poignant summing up over the next couple of days as there is still a day or two to go until the end of the month.  Thanks very much for reading, for the comments, and for the messages of goodwill on the tables.  Peace out.  Points: 10003 Bankroll: £1307.18
    Posted by SR23

2, Yes, one life.  If you want my fav chat up line just ask.  P.s it's never worked but I'm no oil painting.

3, No, one life.

Both pairs of trainers come with three months worth of run well.

• edited November 2016
    Congrats
    Adidas Samba's
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Indeed. I think what I was trying to say, rather hamfistedly, is that I'm not sure I want (in the long term) to be documenting my wins and losses. There are one or two people who I know irl who read this thing (and it is a thing) and I don't know if I want them to be reading "I won X amount/lost Y amount today." Although perhaps I do. God knows, I'm exhausted. And tilted. Was that even your question? Hopefully I've answered it. If not, I'll try again. 
    Posted by SR23

The '?' was for the 'financial success' when I think back to my thankfully now deceased thread and my less thankfully now deceased bank balance.

I guess I can claim to be the only none winning diary writer extraordinaire. At least until Jac35 is found out, still somehow blagging it 15k games later.
  • edited November 2016
    Nice one.

I am a bit old school (well tbh just old) and can't see past classic Adidas;

Stan Smith
    Campus
    Shell toes

I am really too old to wear trainers, so tend to edge towards a Sperry deck shoe, albeit those trainers DTM recommended are pretty smart actually, even at my age I might carry them off.....maybe :-)
  • edited November 2016

first time posting in your thread (oh I sound like I have rang some radio show up), big grats on reaching prio sir,
     I didn't even know what prio was until i started reading this thread, So I have you to blame for me playing around 4.1k DON's this month ,ranging from 30p's to max £2 I think ,with a few Russians thrown in at quieter times @ double points, I nearly stopped when sky moved the goal posts a little (changing it from 3x points to 2x points I mean how very dare they lolz )but I hate to fail and continued :) I must confess I was looking for inspiration in how to clear my first deposit bonus at the time so it softened the blow of the erm redic high rake at the micros, or maybe it was my redic bad play that has my SS graph looking like a slope at Lillehammer.im still none the wiser if I was actually ahead from the dons due to the Russians and a mtt I was entered in via a freeroll win (I don't have full ss subscription
     unlike you though I am cutting it a bit fine I have another 388 points to get tomorrow otherwise I fail 
    anyway well done again on a  superb thread and month,

good mental health
    Yfired

• edited November 2016
    first time posting in your thread (oh I sound like I have rang some radio show up), big grats on reaching prio sir,  I didn't even know what prio was until i started reading this thread, So I have you to blame for me playing around 4.1k DON's this month ,ranging from 30p's to max £2 I think ,with a few Russians thrown in at quieter times @ double points, I nearly stopped when sky moved the goal posts a little (changing it from 3x points to 2x points I mean how very dare they lolz )but I hate to fail and continued :) I must confess I was looking for inspiration in how to clear my first deposit bonus at the time so it softened the blow of the erm redic high rake at the micros, or maybe it was my redic bad play that has my SS graph looking like a slope at Lillehammer.im still none the wiser if I was actually ahead from the dons due to the Russians and a mtt I was entered in via a freeroll win (I don't have full ss subscription  unlike you though I am cutting it a bit fine I have another 388 points to get tomorrow otherwise I fail  anyway well done again on a  superb thread and month, good mental health Yfired
    Posted by yourfired
    Hi Bud,

That graph only looks bad as so many games are condensed into a short period, it's astonishing how much volume you managed.

Not going to discuss detailed profit & loss here, if you want the actual details, just say & I'll send you a PM.

In over 4,000 games inside a month, you are at around break even (very small loss) AFTER paying Reg Fees. That excludes any Sky Poker Rewards or Prio benefits you have or will accrue, so overall you should be in profit.

Good luck with getting those last few hundred points.   

• edited November 2016
    Posted by SR23
    Amazing stuff, many congrats, & what a great read this has been, you write wonderfully.

And when you decide to start asking those incred questions, don't forget there is a Forum Board dedicated to Priority players, which is HERE

Whatever you do though, please don't ask any of those "snake or donkey" or "red sauce or brown" sort of questions, as I have no idea on that sort of stuff. Bridges, concrete, transport infrastructure, Robbie Williams, Anthony Keidis, Cypress Hill, CERN, the amazing godwit, all that sort of thing, fire away.
  • edited November 2016
    Congrats. Long time lurker, first time contributor. Been considering writing my own again for some much needed spark in my game but I cant compete with your (and others) great posts. Well done and keep us informed of what its like up there in First Class. I hear the canapes are nice.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hey Craig - thanks very much. The canapes are banging. I remember tussling with you once or twice at low-stakes and used to read your diary regularly. Think you should definitely consider reviving it: I've found it great for focus (and, indeed, spark) over the last month. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : very well done SR totally deserved, as for the write-ups / diary. It has been a cracking read all the way through, and I would like to echo what tikay said, and ask you to carry on. we wouldn't want tumbleweed blowing across the old forum now would we. As for the trainers...... I think a good starting point would be a pair that fit obv ;) anyways enough ramblings, once again very well done  :)
    Posted by scouse_red
    Cheers Scouse Red, I'm touched - 'cracking' is a, um, cracking adjective to hear as a writer. I may well carry on with something in one form or another next year. Will keep you posted. 
  • edited November 2016
    BIG well done. VERY enjoyable read....keep posting. p.s. Still reckon hair looks better.  ;-)))
    Posted by Glenelg

BIGGER thanks - I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Puzzled by the hair stuff, though. Am I being slow? In my defence I didn't get to sleep until 8am. 
  • edited November 2016
    Well done on prio and thanks for a non-arrogant entertaining quality diary.
    Posted by mumsie
    Lovely to have had you here over the last month, Mumsie. Wryness is a hugely underappreciated quality, in my book. Peace.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : 1,   https://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/black-nike-flex-fury-2/212775/ 2, Yes, one life.  If you want my fav chat up line just ask.  P.s it's never worked but I'm no oil painting. 3, No, one life. 4, Or these   https://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/black-adidas-originals-zx-flux/030180/ Both pairs of trainers come with three months worth of run well.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Yes to all of that. I've had my eye on a pair of all black Nike trainers for the last few weeks but can't remember the name of them. They're like Nike Air Free trainers, but not quite. 

Usually I knock about in old school Adidas. You know the ones - worn by I-was-on-the-fringes-of-football-hooliganism-then-got-into-pills-and-going-to-raves types. I've got a cracking (thanks Scouse Red) pair of Adidas Hawaii at the moment and want to get some obscurely-coloured Adidas Hamburg but I saw something on the leather industry and it's put me off buying any more leather shoes/trainers. Wish I hadn't seen it so I could buy these Hamburgs - but I have, so I can't.
  • edited November 2016
    Congrats Adidas Samba's
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yo, thank you. Please see above. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : The '?' was for the 'financial success' when I think back to my thankfully now deceased thread and my less thankfully now deceased bank balance. I guess I can claim to be the only none winning diary writer extraordinaire. At least until Jac35 is found out, still somehow blagging it 15k games later.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ah, I used to love reading your diary dude. Is it not due a revival, then? 
  • edited November 2016
    Nice one. I am a bit old school (well tbh just old) and can't see past classic Adidas; Stan Smith Campus Shell toes I am really too old to wear trainers, so tend to edge towards a Sperry deck shoe, albeit those trainers DTM recommended are pretty smart actually, even at my age I might carry them off.....maybe :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Go for it. Stan Smiths are ace - I bought a pair in a Spanish supermarket 20 years ago for a tenner. That was a good day. Should have bought two pairs. 
  • edited November 2016
    first time posting in your thread (oh I sound like I have rang some radio show up), big grats on reaching prio sir,  I didn't even know what prio was until i started reading this thread, So I have you to blame for me playing around 4.1k DON's this month ,ranging from 30p's to max £2 I think ,with a few Russians thrown in at quieter times @ double points, I nearly stopped when sky moved the goal posts a little (changing it from 3x points to 2x points I mean how very dare they lolz )but I hate to fail and continued :) I must confess I was looking for inspiration in how to clear my first deposit bonus at the time so it softened the blow of the erm redic high rake at the micros, or maybe it was my redic bad play that has my SS graph looking like a slope at Lillehammer.im still none the wiser if I was actually ahead from the dons due to the Russians and a mtt I was entered in via a freeroll win (I don't have full ss subscription  unlike you though I am cutting it a bit fine I have another 388 points to get tomorrow otherwise I fail  anyway well done again on a  superb thread and month, good mental health Yfired
    Posted by yourfired

Hope you make it, man (let me know) and thanks very much for the kind words. Funny you should mention mental health - mine's been in ribbons for the last couple of years and I've been unsure whether or not to write about it. Maybe I will at a later date. Good luck good luck. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Amazing stuff, many congrats, & what a great read this has been, you write wonderfully. And when you decide to start asking those incred questions, don't forget there is a Forum Board dedicated to Priority players, which is HERE Whatever you do though, please don't ask any of those "snake or donkey" or "red sauce or brown" sort of questions, as I have no idea on that sort of stuff. Bridges, concrete, transport infrastructure, Robbie Williams, Anthony Keidis, Cypress Hill, CERN, the amazing godwit, all that sort of thing, fire away.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ah, T-Bone, thanks very much for the above and for being a supporter of my endeavours over the last month or so. It has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. 

I've got a good not-being-able-to-cross-a-bridge anecdote but too tired to tell it right now. Maybe next year. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Ah, T-Bone, thanks very much for the above and for being a supporter of my endeavours over the last month or so. It has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.  I've got a good not-being-able-to-cross-a-bridge anecdote but too tired to tell it right now. Maybe next year. 
    Posted by SR23
    Cross that bridge when you come to it ..... (:D}

Great read and really really WELL DONE !

Many Thanks
  • edited November 2016
     "What pair of trainers should I buy next?"  

For playing tennis or for casual?

For tennis try PWP, tennis-point, prodirect tennis, tennis nuts websites they occasionally have sales.  I picked up some Adidas Barricade tennis trainers a couple of months ago like these https://www.tennisnuts.com/adidas-mens-barricade-team-4-1192623.html. Recommended retail is something like £70, I paid £30......for 3 pairs. Now tennis trainers normally last me about 3 months before the sole wears through but my first pair of these is lasting quite well so I can recommend them.

Shame you're in Bournemouth otherwise we could have a hit.

Oh and cracking diary btw, not read it in a week so nice to catch up with it. Congratulations and please keep posting.

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Cross that bridge when you come to it ..... (:D} Great read and really really WELL DONE ! Many Thanks
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Great stuff and really, really thanks. Okay, doesn't quite work but you get the sentiment. 
  • edited November 2016
     " What pair of trainers should I buy next?"    For playing tennis or for casual? For tennis try PWP, tennis-point, prodirect tennis, tennis nuts websites they occasionally have sales.  I picked up some Adidas Barricade tennis trainers a couple of months ago like these https://www.tennisnuts.com/adidas-mens-barricade-team-4-1192623.html . Recommended retail is something like £70, I paid £30......for 3 pairs. Now tennis trainers normally last me about 3 months before the sole wears through but my first pair of these is lasting quite well so I can recommend them. Shame you're in Bournemouth otherwise we could have a hit. Oh and cracking diary btw, not read it in a week so nice to catch up with it. Congratulations and please keep posting.  
    Posted by Enut
    Bah, shame. Clicked on your sig and saw you were on the south coast and hoped I could add you to my coterie of tennis players. Most of my pals (thin brag that I have pals) work in the day (even thinner: pals who have jobs) where-as I'm normally as free as a bird due to the sporadic nature of my work. I tend to loaf around in the day and work in the evenings. Oh well. 

I'm thinking of getting tennis lessons (at the moment I go on youtube for lessons then try to replicate the stuff I've learned on the court) and hopefully will be able to pick up one or two regular players to play with (the lessons are group lessons) from there. I would happily play 3-4 times a week if I could. 

Nice tennis trainers. You must play a ton if you're tearing through them at that rate. 

Oh, and thanks for saying such nice things about this diary. Really appreciate it.