You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Best diary on here by a country mile.

I find jasmine green tea with a spoon of manuka honey is the nuts before playing, for optimum effect should be drank 37 mins before playing.
    I met Will Kassouf recently and that was the best bit of advice he gave me.

Nice start to the month for your challange, hope it continues, gl.
  • edited November 2016
    Good morning SR23.
    The very best of luck in your quest.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
  • edited November 2016
    You're dead right Darkangel - the right mindset coupled with run good is a heady mix. Let's hope I wrestle the former to the ground and the latter continues. Thanks for the support. You too Rainman, I appreciate it. 
    LmfaoAllin - bowled over by your kind words, thank you very much. Green tea with manuka honey sounds like a goer - non-alcoholic drinks often make me feel a little dull and empty but that won't, I reckon. I've just dodged a bullet, booze-wise. Was going to meet a pal and his Dad for drinks before Bournemouth-Sunderland. His Dad is one of those Dads who when they get out of the house they drink three pints an hour until they have to go home again. Luckily, there were queues outside the pub so I couldn't get in. Going to grind for a bit instead. Saturday afternoons are my nut-favourite time to play poker: Giles Peterson on Radio 6, healthy tables, and the brief excitement of potentially life changing football accumulators before they slowly wither then die. 
    Did you play live with Will Kassouf? Other thoughts? 
  • edited November 2016
    Knowing when to quit is a skill. At least that's what I told myself yesterday when my mind was all crudded up and I was making hilariously ambitious river calls and generally playing disgustingly. Managed to survive a couple of nerve-shredding all ins at a 50p/£1 capped table to swell my bankroll somewhat. Felt I could have gone a little feral, poker-wise (weekends can get boozy), so restricted my access to the site for a day. Think sticking to nl10/20 a better idea than getting involved in such stuff - £60 all-ins - considering my bankroll. 
    Playing the ME tonight and have no ambitions beyond playing as well as I can. Corny but, well, you know, true. 

Bankroll: £392.37
  • edited November 2016
    Good Read  & GL 

Is it hare or hair? 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?:
    Good Read  & GL  Is it hare or hair? 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Thank you. And hare (I had to double-check, though). 
  • edited November 2016
    Quick update. Busted the main - ghosted around for a couple of hours in it but had to do a lot of deeply unsexy check-folding of flops and deeply frustrating folding of flopped sets on the river when villains had caught up. Cash was better, though. Good old cash. Actually played pretty well here and there and ran golden. 
    If this thread was called, "Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to £500 in a week?" I'd be home and dry by now. But it's not, it's called, "Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority?" which means a fair bit of work over the coming weeks. 

Bankroll: £504.01
  • edited November 2016
    With a roll of £500+ and 3 hours of triple points every night from now until the end of the month, doesnt seem such a harebrained scheme at all.

GL. 
  • edited November 2016
    I know - not sure what to do now, even though it's far from done and the poker road can be a bumpy, unpredictable one. Make it more harebrained? New challenge? Just plod along? Slither off? Think plodding along for a while is best. I've got a thrilling poker-based story about crying into a boiled egg, which I may have to write up if this diary continues along the lines of, "Ran golden. Made profit at cash. Points have gone up."
  • edited November 2016
    Saw the thread title and thought ''this will either be very good or a complete waste of 10 minutes of my life (I'm a slow reader)'

Luckily it is very good, I shall be keeping an eye on this one.

Good luck. 
  • edited November 2016
    I know - not sure what to do now, even though it's far from done and the poker road can be a bumpy, unpredictable one. Make it more harebrained? New challenge? Just plod along? Slither off? Think plodding along for a while is best. I've got a thrilling poker-based story about crying into a boiled egg, which I may have to write up if this diary continues along the lines of, "Ran golden. Made profit at cash. Points have gone up."
    Posted by SR23
    The poker results are interesting but it's little nuggets like this that will keep me coming back.

But no stories about cement bridges please.

Good luck.
  • edited November 2016
    Enut and Drags - you two are the nuts. Thanks for dropping by and for the encouraging words. I'll take it easy with my numerous cement bridges anecdotes. 
  • edited November 2016
    Enut and Drags - you two are the nuts. Thanks for dropping by and for the encouraging words. I'll take it easy with my numerous cement bridges anecdotes. 
    Posted by SR23
    Some cement bridge anecdotes are fine especially the "legend says that X is burried in the foundations"etc. Enjoying the diary keep it up.

yours in poker

• edited November 2016
    I'll do my level best, cheers Edgy. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : The poker results are interesting but it's little nuggets like this that will keep me coming back. But no stories about cement bridges please. Good luck.
    Posted by dragon1964

lol lol love it, the old fella will have steam coming out of his ears......:-)

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : lol lol love it, the old fella will have steam coming out of his ears......:-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I have no idea what you mean.   ;-)
  • edited November 2016
    What's the difference between cement and concrete please? ;)
  • edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
    Can you somehow stumble into living like a retiree? I seem to have done. Lately, my life has become that of an active, solvent pensioner: long walks on the beach, reasonably elaborate lunches, the odd game of tennis, afternoons in the library. It's good though, I like it, much better than the low-rent Keith Richards impression that I spent a decade or so doing. 

Evenings are for poker. Poker has been going well, perhaps too well. I'm not used to things going well. I'm used to broken relationships, abandoned projects, unwritten plays on my desktop, falling down the stairs, dogs barking at me - that kind of thing. I'm not used to starting something and it actually going well, actually looking like I might, perhaps, set out what I acheived to do. 

Running well helps. I took down the 18:30 £1,000 BH earlier for roughly £210. I got lucky. With five left on the FT I fist-pump jammed with A3s over an active player's button raise but then fist-pump moaned when the quiet-as-hell BB called my shove. His AQ shrank on a XX3 flop, shrank further still on a 3 turn and evaporated on a 3 river. Good old quads. Made a couple of ambitious calls for my tournament life in the mid-late stages though, both with pocket 7's on K9452-type boards (and missed draws). On the first I thanked my earlier self for making a note on a player a couple of years ago. 

Next update in a couple of days. Thanks for reading and for the messages of goodwill on the tables. 

Bankroll: £842.21
    Points: Damn, can't find out whilst writing this. Roughly 2.8K, I think. 
  • edited November 2016
    Love your writing 
    Good stuff with the poker
    Wp chief
    Yes, chief
  • edited November 2016
    wiv how what you write like you should maybe finish one of those plays.

• edited November 2016
    Can you somehow stumble into living like a retiree? I seem to have done. Lately, my life has become that of an active, solvent pensioner: long walks on the beach, reasonably elaborate lunches, the odd game of tennis, afternoons in the library. It's good though, I like it, much better than the low-rent Keith Richards impression that I spent a decade or so doing.  Evenings are for poker. Poker has been going well, perhaps too well. I'm not used to things going well. I'm used to broken relationships, abandoned projects, unwritten plays on my desktop, falling down the stairs, dogs barking at me - that kind of thing. I'm not used to starting something and it actually going well, actually looking like I might, perhaps, set out what I acheived to do.  Running well helps. I took down the 18:30 £1,000 BH earlier for roughly £210. I got lucky. With five left on the FT I fist-pump jammed with A3s over an active player's button raise but then fist-pump moaned when the quiet-as-hell BB called my shove. His AQ shrank on a XX3 flop, shrank further still on a 3 turn and evaporated on a 3 river. Good old quads. Made a couple of ambitious calls for my tournament life in the mid-late stages though, both with pocket 7's on K9452-type boards (and missed draws). On the first I thanked my earlier self for making a note on a player a couple of years ago.  Next update in a couple of days. Thanks for reading and for the messages of goodwill on the tables.  Bankroll: £842.21 Points: Damn, can't find out whilst writing this. Roughly 2.8K, I think. 
    Posted by SR23

Reads like a chat magazine short story . We have a 500 words or less competition winner.
  • edited November 2016
    Only just seen this, top stuff and gl with finding enough time to grind your way to priority.

Are you still writing / working on your poker book?  Sounded like there could be some entertaining live game stories to share from that.
  • edited November 2016
    Love your writing  Good stuff with the poker Wp chief Yes, chief
    Posted by Jac35
    Thank you. Yup, thank you. 
  • edited November 2016
    wiv how what you write like you should maybe finish one of those plays.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks man. Next year. Always next year. 
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Harebrained November Challenge - from £17.15 to Priority? : Reads like a chat magazine short story . We have a 500 words or less competition winner.
    Posted by mumsie
    This is precisely what I was going for - what I am always going for. Thank you. 
  • edited November 2016
    Only just seen this, top stuff and gl with finding enough time to grind your way to priority. Are you still writing / working on your poker book?  Sounded like there could be some entertaining live game stories to share from that.
    Posted by shakinaces
    The book is going slowly and is in danger of being abandoned/dominating the next five years of my life. Thanks for the encouraging words. 
  • edited November 2016
    Whoops. 
    Planned on grinding all last weekend. Got a text on Friday evening asking about the pub. "I'll pop down," I said, "But ONLY FOR ONE PINT. Two at the most." Capital letters because that was how serious I was about only going out for one pint (two at the most). I didn't end up getting home until 10pm on Sunday. Like I said, whoops. 
    So, work is needed. Pubs are not needed. May turn off my phone until December. Sat down for a while last night: played okay, ran well, points inched up. 

Bankroll: £982.12
  • edited November 2016
    Well, readers (?), it was bound to happen sooner or later. Had my first losing session of the month just now. Within seconds of sitting down I 4-bet/got it in on a 552 flop with QQ but AQ got there. Then AQ got there again aipf versus my QQ. Then I had a few fun middle set versus top set experiences. Then I rallied. Then I unrallied. Then I thought I would show everyone how awesome I am by peeling four bets out of position with 74s. Then I gave up. But I will be back, probably in 20 minutes. More edge-of-your-seat updates to follow later this evening. 

Bankroll: £984.52
  • edited November 2016
    Well, readers (?)
    Posted by SR23
    still here!

GL