You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) With a bit of life stuff thrown in

edited June 2017 in Poker Chat
Great read AJ. Always interested to read what you have to say, very honest. Thanks for sharing.

Ger

Comments

• edited January 2017

Like other diary’s, I am hoping that this one, will keep me focused on my game. That is the aim anyway, we will soon find out. Before we get into my game, aim, and goals (which is not much) let me tell you a little bit about the Champ,

and yes, to put the record straight, the self-proclaimed Champ. Having said that, I’ve won a plo8 dym challenge, won the plo8 Sunday tourney league, won the Thursday plo8 tourney league, and let’s not forget I won the plo8 UKOPS. I’m hoping to do the double next week. So you see, I do have some credentials.(that’s why I’m the Champ :-)

This may get boring, so I will try to keep it short. My name is Alan Milton, alias ajmilton. Born and bred in Newport south Wales in 1963. The eldest of 7 children (5 sisters and 1 brother) moved to the Eastham on the Wirral peninsular in 2001 and still live here now. School days best years of your life. They say. Not for me, never liked school much, maybe because I wasn’t very academic. Pen and paper stuff used to bore the life out of me, didn’t mind maths though, required a bit of thinking and working out. 

I did enjoy woodwork, metalwork, and science, hands on stuff making things. As far as sports went, did not like football, rugby, or cricket, the only things I liked were athletics and gymnastics, I excelled in both. I clocked the third fastest time in the cross country for my year. I finished second in the annual race. (Only because the fastest was off ill that day :P = bonus) In gymnastics I had the honour of representing the School in the welsh schoolboy’s team championships (6 man team) months of qualifying rounds and made it to the final, a trip to London no less. we finished 5th or 6th not sure. So apart from that, hated school. Oh I should mention that I met my first love whilst in school (the 2 of us aged 14)

First job, working in an electrical wholesalers, enjoyed it very much, lasted about 2 years, the company went into liquidation. I bought my first car off a rep that used to visit us. It was my pride and joy, the good old Hillman avenger. I don’t know how I got into my next job,( can’t remember)It was on a small building site, building 8 luxury 4 bed house’s. I was the site labourer working for 2 partners, we did all the ground works, scaffolding, and the like. They would hire in sub-contractors to do brickwork, plumbing, joinery, and electrical work. I got stuck in and helped out with all the trades, I learnt a hell of a lot. 

They had a semi-retired painter, who I helped doing the decoration to the internal. By the time the contract ended, I pretty much decided that I was going to be a painter and decorator, which is what I have been doing for the last 30 or more years. I’ve travelled all over the country doing various paint jobs, I don’t travel anymore, I’m getting to old, to be out on the lash every night after a hard days graft, and stumbling into some strange B&B .

I got married to my first love in 1984 at the tender age of 21, had 2 Son’s Dean and Ryan. Unfortunately, it ended 2001, not her doing but mine. While I was on my travels (working away), I’d met someone else. It was not planned and I was not out looking for someone it just happened. That’s the reason I now live on the Wirral with my second love, and 2 step sons , Dan and Nathan.

Only had a couple of hobby’s other than poker, singing and playing the guitar, and snooker. My claim to fame playing snooker was to play against Ray Reardon. I played Ray in an exhibition match at butlins or pontins in Skegness. Ray was ahead, I needed to pot the pink and black to win, I wobbled the pink Ray steps up and says were trying to do this, pots the pink, and before the white ball had stopped rolling, he hit the black in, game over. I travelled there especially to play him, wifey and mum in-law were there with the kids, so I went there for the weekend  just to play Ray on the bank holiday Monday, I was a big snooker fan, so that was  such a big thrill for me. 

I used to play for  the local snooker club called Cannon’s, just across the road from the Newport centre, where the Welsh open was held. So when that was on a few of the pro’s used to come over to our club for some practice on our match table, Steve Davis, Mark Williams. John Parrot. They were exciting times, back in the day.

Music, love anything from the 50’s early 60’s Have to say Doo-Wop is my favourite. I bought my first guitar when I was 16, over the next few years I learned how to play, my mate Tony , can’t play any instruments but, he’s a cracking good singer . So we would get together and sing a few tunes, I had a 4 track mini recording studio, we used to record ourselves and get a kick out of it. We always said we would be the next Wham (Tony being George Michael, and me Andrew Ridgley lol)

Anyway fast forward a few years to around 1992/1993. After a snooker match, we decide to go to a pub, which has this new Karaoaky thing going on, I kid you not, within 3 weeks we begged stole and borrowed to get £2K together, to buy our own gear, we called ourselves Starsound Karaoaky, did between 3 and 6 nights a week for 2 years. (Happy days) After that finished I got a call off a friend of mine, (next door neighbour) who said his dad was looking for a guitar player for his country band. (Yikes) cut a long story short, I went to meet him for the audition went through a few songs. (He taught me to sing the harmony parts with him) He gave me a tape and said learn the lead guitar. 

There’s the first set come back in a week, if you can handle that I will give you the second set. He must have been happy with me ….here’s the second set, see you next week. I went back the following week, we ironed out a few things that I could not play and tweaked them. He said you’re in (happy days) I asked him when the first gig was he said Friday. 

(5 days’ time, Holy crapperamma) Well I have never been so nervous in all my life. To walk on stage with my guitar and play in front of an audience, (proper squeaky bum time) and to top it all off, I had to play the intro to the first song. (No pressure off you go AJ….a 1 2 3 4) Ok so that brings us to the year 2000, or near as dam it, we will call this part one, part two will come later. Let’s talk poker.

I will go into more detail later, in part two, about how I got into poker. I’ve been playing poker for 5 years, a losing player. My deposits have always been an affordable amount to lose in the past. The last six months, has seen a change in my financial circumstances, and the rot has to stop. So from a personal point of view, I have decided, that now, is the time, to try to become a winning player. 

Easier said than done, but that is my goal. The way I have been playing the last five years, has been shall we say, unorthodox. The first 3 years I just played Holdem, best results came in the way of winning the mini primo for £455 and the £2K button hunter for £740. Then I discovered plo8, pretty much been playing it for the last 2 years. Omaha hi/lo the best poker game ever. Not a clue how to play the game to start with, but thought I would give it a go. Maccacgirl1 started a 100-dym plo8 game challenge in November to run until Christmas; I have been hooked ever since. 

I actually learned to play the game via the chat box. With the help of all the good kind ploppers that play this game. As I said earlier, I play the game in an unorthodox manner, most of which are standard poker leaks. Which I aim to fix.  My major leaks are discipline and focus. I can start a game with 100% strategy and game plan, within 3 or 4 levels, it can all go out the window, any kind of distraction be it in the chat box, or wifey shouting for a cup of tea, or answering the phone, just silly little things that make me lose focus. 

I have pretty good reads on the plo8 players at the moment , maybe I should start taking notes, I’ve never taken notes (not sure it would help me, players change) Any way in short I’m in serious mode from now on. Good luck guy’s and gall’s

Regards Alan (plo8 winning champ)        

• edited December 2016
    nice 1st post to diary subscribed and gl

regards
    yfired
  • edited December 2016

Excellent read AJ, really looking forward to this journey m8. 
  • edited December 2016
    d*mn

can hardly take the p*ss out of the chump after an op like that.

vwp.
  • edited December 2016

A tremendous opening post, well done Chump.

You are older than I thought, which somehow pleases me.

First car a Hillman Avenger? - I had one of those, too, though it was my 3rd car.

Good stuff AJ, keep it up. 

And keep that poker discipline up too - when you focus & concentrate, you are top class.

• edited December 2016
    Great read AJ looking forward to a story or two wp 
  • edited December 2016
    Always nice to know more about the person behind the avatar, especially when it's someone you play on a regular basis.
    Good work and look forward to part 2

• edited December 2016
    Very well written AJ.
    You have added a new string to your Bow as author.
  • edited December 2016
    Great post and very best of luck with the poker and the diary (except for UKOPs PL08 - I am coming for your title).
  • edited December 2016
    Great post Al
    Looking forward to reading more.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ):
    A tremendous opening post, First car a Hillman Avenger? -       
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree, great first diary post. 
    If I'm not mistaken TK  pic is of an Opel Kadett, same thing tho..  bit like cement & concrete.
  • edited December 2016
    We as a family had a hillman avenger in 70's, light green, black vinyl roof and a go faster stripe.
    gl with your task of becoming a winning player AJ.  There's seldom an easy pound to be had decorating,just wait until you're over fifty. Fatigue springs to mind. Some questions. Are you playing alcohol free?Are you going to multi-table?Are you going to join a game at the start instead of finishing your smoke?Are you solely concentrating your efforts on plo8? Do you feel the current plopper regs are better than those of a year ago?
    If you go on a downswing, are you going to play through it or ease off.Its gonna be tough , but glgl.

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ):
    Born and bred in Newport south Wales in 1963.  As far as sports went, did not like football, rugby, or cricket, the only things I liked were athletics and gymnastics,

Nice post but I suspect you are a fraud.

These two comments cannot both be true.

• edited December 2016
    I can smell the hunger for part two.
  • edited December 2016
    Appriciate all the kind reply's. 
    Thank's very much.
    I'll try and get part 2 posted before chrismas.
    I've been suffering from man flu since Saturday 
    The worst bout i've had in many a year. 

Haven't played much the last few day's (feel weak as a kitten) 
    Feeling better today tho, so it can only improve from here.
     will get some reply's out soon.

Stay tuned   
  • edited December 2016
    Good stuff AJ. 
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) :
    Born and bred in Newport south Wales in 1963.  As far as sports went, did not like football, rugby , or cricket, the only things I liked were athletics and gymnastics, Nice post but I suspect you are a fraud. These two comments cannot both be true.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Quite right.

AJ back to his usual embellishments.
  • edited December 2016
    Ger
    Glad you found it of interest m8.
    There's more to the champ than meets the eye.

yourfired
    Thanks for the subscription. (Do you fancy a game of plo8?)

Pom
    This is going top be the toughest journey of my poker life (lol he's say's like a pro)
    (details to follow in future post's)

Geldy
    Thanks for your restrain, but if you have any bullets you want
    to fire at me. Fire away Geldy lad, alway's welcome a bit of banter from you.

Tikay
    oi oi nice pic, my car was dark navy blue, I'll go into more detail about the car
    and what i did to it, and the relevance, it has to me up until a few weeks ago, in a later post.
    As a side note, what kind of computer do use? (i know your old) 
    Did you know, these days they have them with spell checker.
    It will turn chump into champ at a click of a button (when you get it sorted, tell Geldy about it)
    A class act you say? praise indeed from the maestro himself. TY 

cheezylad 
    Plenty more to come m8 ( nice to see you improving in the plo8 league)

johnb
    Part 2 is in progress 
    Likewise john, always a pleasure to beat you, I mean play you on a regular basis :-)

eon
    Author lol, The first post took me an age to write, 
    everything i wrote had a green or a red line under it. (used Microsoft word to do it)
    Thanks for the kind words. it's give me a bit of confidence, cheers m8.

Phantom lad
    In your dreams, you finish ahead of me, in the UKOPS.
    Medic, Medic, Please if anyone knows phantom lad, 
    Get medical assistance to him immediately, he is delusional .
    I hope you pull through phantom lad.

vespa
    Hi Mick, keep reading m8 (you never know )
    one day you may even beat me, (just kidding, you won't lol)

Glen lad 
     Opel Kadet, Hillman Avenger, same car ok yes ..
    like nowa days ..Vauxhall vivaro,..renault traffic same van. 
    ok Glen? agreed . but for the love of god why? ,,WHY?
    Did you mention the C word, I hope TK can get past this without 
    to much discomfort It's is age. (his blood pressure will be critical)

chilling
    I will answer your questions tomorrow 

Dragon lad
    RED CARD 
    you have taken what i said out of context
    It was not about liking it as a sport! But about liking ,playing it in school.
    LOL were i was born, how welsh (rugby wise ) can i be.... to be continued.

mumsie
    Keep calm all in due course, have a snack

Hendo
    You know I'm good :-)

Geldy lad,
    Try and keep up 

Regards Alan (plo8 determind champ)

• edited December 2016
    Fantastic thread AJ can't wait for the updates. Intresting reading, and as having met you in real life I am sure you are holding a lot of stuff back lol ;)
  • edited December 2016
    We as a family had a hillman avenger in 70's, light green, black vinyl roof and a go faster stripe. gl with your task of becoming a winning player AJ.  There's seldom an easy pound to be had decorating,just wait until you're over fifty. Fatigue springs to mind. Some questions. Are you playing alcohol free?Are you going to multi-table?Are you going to join a game at the start instead of finishing your smoke?Are you solely concentrating your efforts on plo8? Do you feel the current plopper regs are better than those of a year ago? If you go on a downswing, are you going to play through it or ease off.Its gonna be tough , but glgl.
    Posted by chilling
    Your quite right chilli lad, 
    It's not easy trying to make a few bob, with the brush strokes.
    Over fifty, I'm 53 chilli lad, and still banging out 10 hour days.

Miss art-wa, will always be with me at the end of a working week,
    if she catches my eye during the week, and says hey champ, 
    do want to be naughty? then I may let her out of the fridge.

As always chilli the game starts when i finish my ciggie.
    I doubt that I will start to multi table, 
    Mainly plo8, I may play the odd holdem sat for the biggy's
    FYI chilli lad I've been on a downswing for 5 years ....carry on regardless

Regards Alan (plo8 gunna beat this game champ)

• edited December 2016

Merry Christmas, to all the ploppers out there, and indeed to the non-ploppers.                     Finished work today, not back in until 9th of Jan. 

Two weeks of merriment, and poker carnage.May have to rule out boxing night for poker, I.ve got the family coming around for snacks, and drinks. They don’t generally stay late, so I may get a couple of late games in . 

Looking forward to the plo8 UKOPS on Tuesday night. Before all of that, there’s the matter of the Plo8 Thursday night Tourney league  Tonight. 

See you later plops, and a happy new year   

• edited December 2016
    OI OI, finished work yesterday, for Christmas, 
    and got that Friday feeling. 
    Hence, I didn't play the league touneys,
    what a complete numptiy I am

played a few dym's and finished in profit,
    despite having lag problems. which I've had for the last few day's
    I managed to finish in profit last night. (happy day's)

I think I've fix the problem with lag.
    My last 2 games ran with no probs
    Fingers crossed for tonight.

I.m happy with the way I'm playing at the moment,
    the leaks are still there, but I am beginning to take control of them.
    It's not going to be easy for me, but at least I know what I have to do.
    This week and next week is all about priming myself,
    for the next 12 months. 

This diary will start proper from January the 1st
    and run to the 31st of December 2017
    Starting BR will be announce then.

GL ploppers Regards Alan ( plo8 i have to make this happen champ)
  • edited December 2016
    Are you gonna play the 22 quidder on the 30th? 
  • edited December 2016
    Are you gonna play the 22 quidder on the 30th? 
    Posted by chilling
    Absolutely Chilli lad, it would be rude not to.
    After all, Did you know,I won the last PLO8 UKOPS?
    I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it. :-)

Hopefully there will be sats into it,
    would be nice to get in for a cheaper price.
    Or I'll buy in direct, even if i have to deposit funds 
    I won't be missing the cream of PLO8 Touney's 

Regards Alan (plo8 don't bet against me champ) 
  • edited December 2016
    Did ya, first ive heard of it. Do you remember the ft oppos, and who you were hu with. Any of the current riffraff on the ft with you?
  • edited December 2016
    Did ya, first ive heard of it. Do you remember the ft oppos, and who you were hu with. Any of the current riffraff on the ft with you?
    Posted by chilling
    Position         alias

1                 ajmilton

2                 tom_mull

3                 eon1961

4                 FellGroggy

5                 Wallpaint

6                 VespaPX

There you go chilli lad 
    pick the bones out of the above 
  • edited December 2016
    Merry Christmas AJ to you and your family, have a good one!
  • edited December 2016
    Merry Christmas AJ to you and your family, have a good one!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks mate, 
    Straight back at ya Larson lad,
  • edited December 2016
    Time for a weekly up date, on the state of play.
    So far so good, as regards to discipline and focus.
    I'm not expecting miracles after the first week, 
    but I'm pleased, that I've actually attempted to stick to it.

Just to re-cap, on what I've been playing,
    PLo8 dym's and tourney's, mainly £3 -£5 dym's and £1 -£5 torney's
    To be honest at the start of week I felt very nervous, 
    I think i was over cautious, with the way I played.
    I won a few and lost a few, but my BR stayed on the plus side,

I will say, that it hasn't been easy this week, to keep focus and discipline.
    As soon as i make that call or raise, I know it's a mistake.
    That's part of the problem, I need to identify it,
    before I make the call/raise.

I know what  my fault's are, I just need to keep focus,
    and iron them out, a calling station has to go.
    All these faults keep creeping in, but eventually I will eliminate them.
    I have, seen them the last couple of nights,
    Which has cost me.

All in all, can't grumble, it has been a tough week.
    To keep the focus and discipline going, but it's early day's.
    Managed to win 5 out of the last 6 dym's,
    and cashed in the last 4 tourney's I've played,
    Actually won one (happy day's)

Regards Alan (determined plo8 champ)

• edited December 2016

Well done Champ.

I have been impressed with your new-found discipline, well done bud, now you just have to keep it up & stick to it. 

Would you mind if I made an observation about something I notice you do from time to time, and which I think is an area you might want to look at & improve upon?

It's only a tiny detail, but with edges so thin, every little helps.