You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) With a bit of life stuff thrown in

Comments

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ):
    Well done Champ. I have been impressed with your new-found discipline, well done bud, now you just have to keep it up & stick to it.  Would you mind if I made an observation about something I notice you do from time to time, and which I think is an area you might want to look at & improve upon? It's only a tiny detail, but with edges so thin, every little helps.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Any advice would be much appreciated, Tikay.
    After 5 years of playing like a lunatic, 
    I need to re-train my brain to play poker properly
    So that the right decision's become instinctive,
    Fire away at your leisure, tia
  • edited December 2016
    I'm earwigging, if that's ok
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) : Any advice would be much appreciated, Tikay. After 5 years of playing like a lunatic,  I need to re-train my brain to play poker properly So that the right decision's become instinctive, Fire away at your leisure, tia
    Posted by ajmilton
    OK bud, will do. I'm not saying this is Gospel, but is just something I see a lot of players do, & in general, I disagree with it. And I see you do this from time to time.

When we have, say, between 4,000 & 5,000, we should consider the game "locked". This is our game to lose, & only by making a mistake can we lose this, or at least in 95% of cases. Others can beat us, only we can lose it. 

So when a decent thinking player with, say, 2,500 or 3,000 raises into you, unless you have a super monster (A-A-2-x DS) we should always fold. We don't NEED to play this hand, do we? We can if we want, but we should not want to. 

In an MTT, where we want to get all the chips, yes. In a cash game, yes. But this is a DYM, with 3 places all getting the same. And we have 5,000 chips. Why would we ever want to get involved against another biggie in this spot?

Batter the shorties, yes, but try to avoid the only guy on the table who can seriously damage our stack.

Really, to win this, all we have to do is wait out the others. 

Is it exploitable? Yes, of course it is, & some players (me included) might take advantage of you. So what? You have the game locked, that's all that matters.

It works the other way, too. If another big stack is to your direct left, a good player - Eon, Alexis, Ger, etc - they will do the same - they will let you steal their blinds, as they don't NEED to get involved. Why would they? They don't have any interest in getting 7,000 chips, they are quite happy to coast to 3rd. 

One of our regulars loses so many games due to this. Let's say he has A-Q-9-3 & 5,000 chips. A very playable hand, & one we would almost always open with a raise. Now a decent stack bets before it gets to him. Now he should be folding, as he has the game locked, & he is not beating much, & more to the point he does not HAVE to or NEED to play this hand. In fact I've seen him FIVE BET (facing a bet & a re-raise) with A-Q-9-3, simply because he has a very big stack. This is nonsense, & makes no sense at all. 

We don't have to win all the chips, & 3rd pays the same as 1st. If we have the game locked, change your game plan, play conservatively & defensively, & by all means batter the shorties. But never take on the Big Stacks if we are "locked". 

And the reason folks do this?

Pride. They don't want to be seen as folding, because it looks weak. 

Remember what Marcellus Wallace said about pride.......

• edited December 2016

And NOBODY messes with Marcellus Wallace, do they?
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) : OK bud, will do. I'm not saying this is Gospel, but is just something I see a lot of players do, & in general, I disagree with it. And I see you do this from time to time. When we have, say, between 4,000 & 5,000, we should consider the game "locked". This is our game to lose, & only by making a mistake can we lose this, or at least in 95% of cases. Others can beat us, only we can lose it.  So when a decent thinking player with, say, 2,500 or 3,000 raises into you, unless you have a super monster (A-A-2-x DS) we should always fold. We don't NEED to play this hand, do we? We can if we want, but we should not want to.  In an MTT, where we want to get all the chips, yes. In a cash game, yes. But this is a DYM, with 3 places all getting the same. And we have 5,000 chips. Why would we ever want to get involved against another biggie in this spot? Batter the shorties, yes, but try to avoid the only guy on the table who can seriously damage our stack.   Really, to win this, all we have to do is wait out the others.  Is it exploitable? Yes, of course it is, & some players (me included) might take advantage of you. So what? You have the game locked, that's all that matters.   It works the other way, too. If another big stack is to your direct left, a good player - Eon, Alexis, Ger, etc - they will do the same - they will let you steal their blinds, as they don't NEED to get involved. Why would they? They don't have any interest in getting 7,000 chips, they are quite happy to coast to 3rd.  One of our regulars loses so many games due to this. Let's say he has A-Q-9-3 & 5,000 chips. A very playable hand, & one we would almost always open with a raise. Now a decent stack bets before it gets to him. Now he should be folding, as he has the game locked, & he is not beating much, & more to the point he does not HAVE to or NEED to play this hand. In fact I've seen him FIVE BET (facing a bet & a re-raise) with A-Q-9-3, simply because he has a very big stack. This is nonsense, & makes no sense at all.  We don't have to win all the chips, & 3rd pays the same as 1st. If we have the game locked, change your game plan, play conservatively & defensively, & by all means batter the shorties. But never take on the Big Stacks if we are "locked".  And the reason folks do this? Pride. They don't want to be seen as folding, because it looks weak.    Remember what Marcellus Wallace said about pride.......               
    Posted by Tikay10
    Totally agree with the above info,and Guilty, as charged me-lud.
    More often than not, the reason I've done this is lack of patience.
    when I've got 6K and the game locked, I should sit and wait,
    easier said than done when I'm in turbo mode,

these games take 30 to 40 minutes to play, so when I have 6k 
    For me it was always, lets get the game finished (suicide in a dym)
    Sometimes it would work, but more often than not. 
    I would end up getting my stack cut in half, and be back in the mix
    and no doubt 10 minutes later, I.m the short stack hanging on for dear life.

The old turbo mode has crept into a few of my games this week
    A couple of them got away from me, but I am beginning to recognise it now,
    before it gets a hold of me during a game.

So when it comes to plo8 dym's
    No more Usain Bolt.. 

Regards Alan (the Mo Farah of plo8)

• edited December 2016

Good man.

And when you are gone, you stay gone. Or you be gone.
  • edited December 2016
    What's the plan when you have the game locked, ( or so you think ) you keep folding, blinds are getting shared by oppos, now you find yourself sliding back in the pack.  Look for a spot, or wait for a monster?Or over raise a just decent hand? Or just raise or flat call with that hand.
  • edited December 2016
    What's the plan when you have the game locked, ( or so you think ) you keep folding, blinds are getting shared by oppos, now you find yourself sliding back in the pack.  Look for a spot, or wait for a monster?Or over raise a just decent hand? Or just raise or flat call with that hand.
    Posted by chilling
    Tikay could explain this a lot better than i could.
    From a strategy point of view.
  • edited January 2017

Part Two

You can find part one on the op

The band That I played in were called, “Clovis”. They are on you tube for anyone interested in a bit of country music. (before my time, they did a few TV appearances) Oh if you are wondering or interested in what guitar I played, It was a Fender Telecaster. The sound of the guitar I was using for rehearsals didn’t sound right for country music. So I had to buy a new one.  I was in the band for about 12 months; the highlight was playing at the Isle of White country festival. After about 9 months after I joined, the lead singer decided to break up the band. (This was planned before I joined) He still had 3 months’ worth of bookings to honour, so decided that we should go out as a duo, we were called Clovis 2. So there it is, my boyhood dream of playing and singing live in a band, all came true.

While on my musical journey over the years, I met a singer, called Russ. We became best of friends, and pretty much inseparable, since our meeting in the early to mid-90’s. These were the best years of my life. I got up to allsorts with Russ, (nothing untoward) we partied hard and worked hard. There are a few stories’ I could tell you about us. but I will keep them for another time. For now I’ll try and keep this , to a condensed version of my life.

Early in 2000 Russ has an artist friend, in need of a painter to help with the decoration to a new night club opening in Newport. Basically I would put the base coat on and she would come behind putting colour washes on and painting using ultra violet paints. It was quite interesting, and I did enjoy working with her. Btw her name was Paquita, pronounced  “pa-key-ta”. About six months later,  I get a call from her asking if I was interested in helping her paint a very large house in Redditch. Supposed to be two or three weeks work, I thought why not. I would come back to Newport on the weekends.

The owner of the property, was a great guy named Mark, He would take us out a few nights a week, for meals and drink. We really got on well together, and became friends. Four weeks into the job, I turn up Monday morning, and Mark asked me if I thought I could the job on my own, I said I probably could. Which was just as well, as he told me he’d got rid of Paquita. She was very temperamental, and kept crying and breaking down about how, she thought the job was not going right for her. He’d had enough, so let her go. While I was there Mark, got me other painting jobs for his friends and associates. Any spare days, I would use to complete his house. The four week job turned into 6 months. I was actually living in the house all the time I was there, some weekends I would stay at Mark’s. Party time, plus I got to drive around in his top of the range Jaguar, and Aston Martin DB7, living the life of Reilly.

Mark had his own flooring company (with a partner) He actually did the flooring for the Newport night club I worked on 6 months earlier. As luck would have it, and perfect timing, he started another company, not just to do the flooring but also to take on the whole of the refurbishing of projects. By this time, I had finished his house and all the other contracts that he gave me. Up until now, I had been working for him on a self-employed basis. He asked me if I was interested in working for his new company, as a contracts foreman, £30K salary plus expenses and bonus, I’d oversee the refurbishment of fitness first gym centres all over the country, I didn’t need asking twice.

So off I go on my travels Southampton, south end on sea, Birmingham, Liverpool, Preston, just to name a few. The only drawback was that, all the jobs had to be done, at night. 10.30pm start and making sure the changing rooms were clean and tidy for 7am opening. The most memorable of these jobs was the one in Bromborough, on the Wirral. Found a hotel nearby, and that’s were I met my second love, this is in October 2000. I totally fell in love with this girl, hook line and sinker.(powerful thing “love” couldn’t get away from it) by the end of January, I’d moved in with her.

Working away was now beginning to become a bit of a chore, so I decided to leave Mark (amicably) in March 2001,and start back up, on my own (painting and decorating). Love was still in full bloom and by October, we were married. I managed to survive a couple of years; Painting on my own, but I needed to get some permanent work, so I joined a painting firm in March 2003. I was there until 2009, when the company went into liquidation. I did a wide range of jobs for them, building sites, offices, courtrooms, police stations, factories, schools. After 12 months I was made foreman, or as the men would call us “glorified van drivers”. It was a large company with over 30 men, and there were 4 or 5 foreman. When I was working on the building sites, I would always try, and acquire some 3x2 timbers, plasterboard, and insulation. (And, no I didn’t steal it, I asked for it) there was usually some spare left over.

This was for a little project I had going on at home. Since my move to Eastham (Wirral), music has taken a back seat. I still played the guitar, I got myself a computer program, which was a recording studio set up, I would practice in the extension room on the side of the house. (the now computer room) so the idea was to build a sound proof room in the big double garage, it took a while to get the materials together, but I eventually got them. Right down to the last nail, and it didn’t cost me a penny. The room is finished, size is 12 foot by 8 foot. Trouble is, it is not full of musical gear, but junk, sigh. (I will use it one day)  When the firm went bump in 2009, I didn’t have much choice, but to go back into self-employment, and I have managed to keep it going, So far.

There you have it, the champs life in a nutshell, and no mention of poker. Well, I didn’t start playing poker until 2011. My son dean, was playing poker on Facebook, and he challenged me to play him, for a bit of fun. I’ve never played poker in my life, so I thought I’d give it a go. Had some fun with it, for a month or so. Then decided to sign up to various sites playing  with the $10 or $20 intro offer, that went on for a couple of months. Then I see a TV or internet add for Sky poker, playing for real money £££££££. This was more like it, playing for pounds and pence, sterling, proper money. I have been hooked ever since, you cannot beat the excitement you get form winning your first tourney. Proper heart pounding stuff.

See you at the tables guys.

• edited January 2017
    Cracking read AJ and all the best of luck for 2017 both on and off the tables.

Not looking forward to playing the new and improved super focussed pl08 champ :)
  • edited January 2017

Fabulous read that, Chump, well done.  
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) : Totally agree with the above info,and Guilty, as charged me-lud. More often than not, the reason I've done this is lack of patience. when I've got 6K and the game locked, I should sit and wait, easier said than done when I'm in turbo mode,   these games take 30 to 40 minutes to play, so when I have 6k  For me it was always, lets get the game finished (suicide in a dym) Sometimes it would work, but more often than not.  I would end up getting my stack cut in half, and be back in the mix and no doubt 10 minutes later, I.m the short stack hanging on for dear life. The old turbo mode has crept into a few of my games this week A couple of them got away from me, but I am beginning to recognise it now, before it gets a hold of me during a game. So when it comes to plo8 dym's No more Usain Bolt..  Regards Alan (the Mo Farah of plo8)    
    Posted by ajmilton

Hi PLO champ (apparently)

Why don't you start another table when you find your game locked. This should help with your turbo mentality. ( apologies if you've already covered this, I've not read your newest posts yet)

• edited January 2017
    Keep them coming AJ,very good
  • edited January 2017
    Although, I  am not in profit at the moment. ( sigh read on)
    Since the start of this diary, I have been pleased (mostly) with my discipline and focus.
    After my first week, I got my initial £30 deposit up to £85

I actually felt proud of this, that might sound a bit silly to you,
    but for me, it was my just reward, for actually knuckling down,
    and for once in my life applying myself to the game.

By the week end I got man flu, so for the next 3 of 4 days 
    I didn't play much, pretty much broke even.
    I was feeling ok by the Wednesday, and settled down, to what I thought, 
    was going to be a normal night of poker. 
    What followed was absolute carnage.

Lost my first 2 (£3) dym's, not a great start, but not a problem.
    I'll load up a £5 table, help cut my losses. (chasing money....leak)
    I was going well in that game (in control)
    Then someone types in the chat box. "anyone playing the ukops plo tonight"
    I'd totally forgotten about this game, so the devil  in side me decided,
    to play the last sat £4.80 (no joy) all 6 of the £1.20 allin sats (no joy)
    no probs i thought, I'm rich, I'll pay the £22 and buy in direct

While playing the sat. focus went straight out the window, lost that one.
    Lasted all of 10 minutes in the plo ukops then carried on 
    in lunatic mode for the rest of the night, Idont think i won a game.
    All my hard work, profit £50 plus, focus and discipline 
    down the swany all in one night
    To say I was,discusted with myself,would be an understatement.

I managed to sat into the plo8 ukops
    Ididn't get any joy there either, I lasted about an hour.
    Iplayed ok, even though my head was still battered from the Wednesday,
    OH and my chip stack getting battered by jordz16
    It was no surprise,when  I went to the final table to rail,
    That jordz was there,and went on to finish third, he was aggro all the way.

Right so my br has taken a bit of a bashing
    I still haven't had to deposit 
    my mind set is back to were i need it to be 
    so onwards and upwards

Let's play poker

• edited February 2017
    Wow, almost a month since my last update.
    Doesn't time fly.
    Not much to report, poker wise, 
    I have been playing my usual plo8 dym's
    95% of them being the £3 buy-in

I am pleased with the way I've been playing,
    in the last month, I would hazard a guess that. 
    I am in profit on the dym's, a very small profit (if any)
    I'm not keeping a record, that's just my gut feeling.
    It probably wouldn't to jot things down, just so I don't lose track 

As far as mtt's are concerned, this is where I think I've lost money.
    or I should say I know i have. My aim was just to play.
    the £3 and£5 games, but there's a new kid on the block(plo8 bounty hunter)

So with the introduction of the new, plo8 bounty hunter's
    well, it would be rude not to play a few.
    I've played about four of the £11 one's 
    and one or two of the £5 one's 
    Taken a couple of heads, but not made it to the cash yet.

I am hoping to play a few of these b/h, in the future,
    and hopefully play enough to get on the new league leader board.
    A sterling effort by markycash, and scouse, to get this off the ground.
    Breads new life into the already growing, plopper playing pool.

unfortunately I have had to make a deposit again.
    obv's all marky's fault :-)

Just need to keep treading water, 
    and carry on with the way I'm playing (in the dym's anyway)

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)

• edited February 2017
    Nice update aj and I accept full blame :-p

I am sure you will crush one of the plo8 BH's soon. In fact I am fairly certain you are just going easy in them just now so that people get the false impression that they can win them.

Look forward to more updates and good luck both on and off the felt!
  • edited March 2017
    Still going along nice and steady,
    as far as the dym's go. I think I am still in profit on these.
    I have pen and paper at the ready, 
    to keep track of my play, from March the 1st. (today)

If anyone out there, (hello anyone out there,)
    has access to SHARKSCOPE, and would be so kind (pretty please)
    to be able to tell me my stats from the 1st of January to the 28th of Feb

The info I would like if possible is, (all in plo8 games)

£3 dym's.....  how many ...win/ losses
    £5 dym's.....  how many ...win/losses
    £11 dym's.... how many.....win losses
    Tournament's..how many played ..win/ losses  (all buy-in combined)

Thanks in advance, if there is anyone (hello is there anyone)
    who has the time, or inclination, to do this for me.
    It really will be appreciated.

Put me out of my misery am I still in profit (dym's only)

Regards Alan (plo8 pmahc chpam mapch, hamch, cha....it'll come back to me)  

• edited March 2017
    I dont generally go on sharkscope, not sure how to zoom in and extract stuff. On your graph it looks like about -£105.  gl on your quest.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) With a bit of life stuff thrown in:
    I dont generally go on sharkscope, not sure how to zoom in and extract stuff. On your graph it looks like about -£105.  gl on your quest.
    Posted by chilling
    Same with me chilli lad,
    I don't know how to use it, lol
    Hence the request.

• edited March 2017
    AJ,

I cant do a complete breakdown.

The good news is you are running a profit in DYMs for this year +£28 for the period 1/1/17 -28/2/17.

You are -£107 in all scheduled MTTs for the same period.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Diary of the PLO8 Champ (Translation... a losing player ) With a bit of life stuff thrown in:
    AJ, I cant do a complete breakdown. The good news is you are running a profit in DYMs for this year +£28 for the period 1/1/17 -28/2/17. You are -£107 in all scheduled MTTs for the same period.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thanks Hendo lad, 
    really appreciate you taking the time, to having a look for me.
    Would love to get the break down if possible. (come on kind peeps)
    £28 profit not to shabby for a beginner :-)
    The -£107 pound for the tourney's, 
    that's markycash's fault (60 or £70 worth of plo8 bounty hunters)
    All the same I can work off the stats you have given me.

Regards Alan ( profit making plo8 champ)

• edited March 2017
    Hi Aj heres your stats: -

PLO8 dym 3.30 224 played, £29 profit
    PLO8 dym 5.50 23 played, minus £16.50
    PLO8 dym 2.20 11 played, £7.80

I can send you full breakdown in Mtts if u want, nice going on the 3.30s 

Might make my comeback tonight 

• edited March 2017
    AJ, youve obv opted in, so go on tournaments and click on fetch 100 more games?
    Are any of the other ajmiltons your good self on sharkscope?
  • edited March 2017
    A very happy birthday AJ xxx
  • edited March 2017
    I think all non prio players, after min one year loyal service should receive a £2•30 token.Hapty birthday AJ.
    Hope youve had a days rubbing down till your fingers bled. xx
  • edited March 2017
    Hi Aj heres your stats: - PLO8 dym 3.30 224 played, £29 profit PLO8 dym 5.50 23 played, minus £16.50 PLO8 dym 2.20 11 played, £7.80 I can send you full breakdown in Mtts if u want, nice going on the 3.30s  Might make my comeback tonight 
    Posted by stuarty117
    Thanks Stu, a break down in the mtt's would be great.
    Also the £11 dym's what's the scores on the doors with them?

You should defo make an appearance in the plo8 dym's stu
    I am still looking to stay in profit in these, so you could help :-)

Regards Alan
  • edited March 2017
    A very happy birthday AJ xxx
    Posted by Darkangel7
    thank you angel plop xxx
  • edited March 2017
    Happy Birthday AJ

All the best with you DYM quest
  • edited March 2017
    I think all non prio players, after min one year loyal service should receive a £2•30 token.Hapty birthday AJ. Hope youve had a days rubbing down till your fingers bled. xx
    Posted by chilling
    lol chilli lad, my fingers don't bleed anymore,
    as a  matter of fact, I don't think I have any finger prints.
    Birthday tokens should be mandatory :-) 
  • edited March 2017
    Happy Birthday AJ All the best with you DYM quest
    Posted by waller02
    Cheers waller,  Ryan lad