You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Screen Names

Comments

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names:
    For a start, i play for fun or a hobby,whatever.If two cash players had huds, and were both preficient at using them against each other, wheres the advantage? You can label my view in whatever category you like.I dont play for cash directly, so maybe shouldnt comment, but certain things said on the forum, from mine as a recreational viewpoint, sound a touch like insecurity.
    Posted by chilling
    You're hitting the nail on the head and yet keep seeming to ignore it. If two cash players both have huds, and are both of very similar ability and both equally good at using the info on their HUD, they have little advantage over each other.

On Sky, we don't get to use HUDs, but we all effectively have a simple HUD inside our brain if we play enough, we'll have a rough idea of how often Bates opens, how often does he 3bet, what kind of range he calls 10bb jams with etc etc. We store all this info in our head (and in the notes box) on Sky just like a HUD does for you.

In this scenario (the OP), one player has access to the HUD, they know all the stats on their opponents but their opponents have 0 info. So yes, when both players have the HUD on, they are about neutral EV when they play each other but when you force one of them to turn their HUD off without them even knowing it, the guy who still has his HUD working now has the odds swing in his favour.

• edited January 2017
    I would be one of the first in line if we were allowed to change our table name but I understand why it cannot. At my dym tables regs who know a great deal about my game and style would, without doubt, call me lighter than they otherwise would if I changed my alias. 

Definitely not a trivial thing but would love to change mine!
  • edited January 2017
    I have heard a few people stating that they hate their alias. normally they just set it when making the account for a bit of a laugh say, and after playing for a while become embarrassed about it. Unfortunately changing an alias can give you a temporary advantage over other players who now think you are a different person. To help get around this how about allowing people one change of alias when signing on, and when used it only gets reset after 5 years. Also the new alias would have the old alias in brackets after the new one for say 3 months. Just an idea, any thoughts anyone, could it even be done, would we want to?
    Posted by Sir-Gary

Something like this, when you click a players name and the notes window pops open , previous aliases could be listed next to location. Any notes travel with the new name.

an alias amnesty. 
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Something like this, when you click a players name and the notes window pops open , previous aliases could be listed next to location. Any notes travel with the new name. an alias amnesty. 
    Posted by mumsie
    Too expensive. Although a good idea.Its reasonable to assume that an alias would only need to be changed the once.
  • edited January 2017
    I have heard a few people stating that they hate their alias. normally they just set it when making the account for a bit of a laugh say, and after playing for a while become embarrassed about it. Unfortunately changing an alias can give you a temporary advantage over other players who now think you are a different person. To help get around this how about allowing people one change of alias when signing on, and when used it only gets reset after 5 years. Also the new alias would have the old alias in brackets after the new one for say 3 months. Just an idea, any thoughts anyone, could it even be done, would we want to?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Hi Gary,

Not gonna happen, for all manner of reasons, the least of which (there are many more important reasons) is that there is a character limit on screen-names, & adding a previous Alias in brackets would exceed the character limit in almost every case.

It's a fundamental though, & it won't happen.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : They are a huuuuuge factor when it's 2 cash regs playing against each other who have played 100,000+ hands together. No one thing in poker is the be-all and end-all but something like knowing who you're playing against is pretty close  It's absolutely unreal to call this a trivial matter. It's a huge thing when you have notes on every single reg that you are playing thousands of hands with day in day out and all those players think you're an unknown/new player. Sure the benefits of it won't last forever, but it's 100% a big advantage to the name changer and a massive disadvantage to the person who doesn't know about it. As Tikay said, it's sorted now, although that being said, would it have ever been sorted if not for a Sky player reporting it? I have no idea how this could have happened even in error, I assume the people at CC who aren't always on the ball RE stuff like this wouldn't even have the power to make a change like that so presumably it must have been done by someone who should know better? If this thread hadn't happened would they just be playing on as Craigggg?
    Posted by Lambert180

Well we don't live in a perfect world Paul, & mistakes do happen & always will.

I said last night I'd get it sorted first thing this morning, & I did. I did not offer up any waffle or excuses, I said "a mistake was made" & I apologised. I'm not quite sure what else you want me to say.

The circumstances of the error were extremely odd, but, you know, odd things do happen. The loophole has now been blocked.

Without the thread, no, I doubt it would have been spotted. Unless, as I have twice suggested, someone raised it with CC, or sent me a PM.
  • edited January 2017

Anyone wanna guess the over/under on how many posts this thread will generate?

I'll set the line at 75.

• edited January 2017
    If there was an amnesty it would help us keep up to date with the likes of samantha33 and jac45
  • edited January 2017
    PS I'll take the overs
  • edited January 2017
    74 :)

For information on changing your name by "Deed Poll" please visit the .gov website below.

Change Your name by Deed Poll
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : I wish that just occasionally I could understand your posts
    Posted by Jac35
    Two cash players that both have notes and reads on each other and play each other on a daily basis. What are you struggling with Jac?
  • edited January 2017
    Anyone wanna guess the over/under on how many posts this thread will generate? I'll set the line at 75.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Overs please :)

Yeah you couldn't have done more, and it certainly wasn't your fault about the name change.... afaik lol.  You saw it at night and it was dealt with first thing the following morning. My initial thought was that I was shocked it was even physically possible because there isn't a circumstance it should ever happen but then I remembered a few cases were 'less than friendly' aliases have slipped through the net when they signed up and so have had to be changed so I guess the functionality has to be available to someone at Sky.

I think I just took umbrage with it being called trivial (not by you) and the people who were upset about it being made to feel like they were in the wrong and that it was actually all fine, so I felt the need to explain why it causes problems.
  • edited January 2017
    Anyone wanna guess the over/under on how many posts this thread will generate? I'll set the line at 75.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Im off sick today. Im not done yet.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Too expensive. Although a good idea.Its reasonable to assume that an alias would only need to be changed the once.
    Posted by chilling

Cheers chill lad, could you give us a breakdown of the costs, see if we can shave some items, get the price down. 

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Cheers chill lad, could you give us a breakdown of the costs, see if we can shave some items, get the price down. 
    Posted by mumsie
    If tikay hadnt made a withdrawal recently, it would have been a goer.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Overs please :) Yeah you couldn't have done more, and it certainly wasn't your fault about the name change.... afaik lol.  You saw it at night and it was dealt with first thing the following morning. My initial thought was that I was shocked it was even physically possible because there isn't a circumstance it should ever happen but then I remembered a few cases were 'less than friendly' aliases have slipped through the net when they signed up and so have had to be changed so I guess the functionality has to be available to someone at Sky. I think I just took umbrage with it being called trivial (not by you) and the people who were upset about it being made to feel like they were in the wrong and that it was actually all fine, so I felt the need to explain why it causes problems.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Only one person said it was "trivial".

I'm fully au-fait with it being completely unacceptable, but it's certainly not going to exercise me to the degree it has some. I was worried someone was gonna have a heart attack last night. 

Problems arise, they get sorted.  

Happy Friday, one & all. 

Best regards,

Peace Maker.  

• edited January 2017
    Posted by Tikay10
    Been reading this post like i do with most posts although i have nothing to add to the original discussion. I would however like to bet over 75 if i can.
    I really like my user name and would never want to change it.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Been reading this post like i do with most posts although i have nothing to add to the original discussion. I would however like to bet over 75 if i can. I really like my user name and would never want to change it.
    Posted by 55013
    Sorry 55013 - may I address you as 55? - the line has moved to 85.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Only one person said it was "trivial". I'm fully au-fait with it being completely unacceptable, but it's certainly not going to exercise me to the degree it has some. I was worried someone was gonna have a heart attack last night.  Problems arise, they get sorted.   Happy Friday, one & all.  Best regards, Peace Maker.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Is that your new alias then? 

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Only one person said it was "trivial". I'm fully au-fait with it being completely unacceptable, but it's certainly not going to exercise me to the degree it has some. I was worried someone was gonna have a heart attack last night.  Problems arise, they get sorted.   Happy Friday, one & all.  Best regards, Peace Maker.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I know, I was trying to not cause trouble by naming them lol, but that's what I took issue with, that the person who was 'committing the offence' was the person who, funnily enough, thought it was fine.

Anyway, all done and dusted now, I'll let others get us over the line of 75 posts now.
  • edited January 2017
    Every day I check the news and breath a sigh of relief that I don't have to change my alias today. That's what choosing a 70s TV character does to you.

• edited January 2017
    https://youtu.be/87NHueHBHwY

Phone CC .

Edit, I know P66, so was I.
  • edited January 2017
    I think NB was referring to operation yewtree mumsie
  • edited January 2017
    PS I can I change my name? I think it is only fair after admitting to folding AKs pre?
  • edited January 2017
                         "Be Warned"

My wife asked for Alias name change ......... they said no ........ and closed her account.

Am I close   85
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Im off sick today. Im not done yet.
    Posted by chilling
    oh gawd got my tin hat on. over 100 
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : Well we don't live in a perfect world Paul, & mistakes do happen & always will. I said last night I'd get it sorted first thing this morning, & I did. I did not offer up any waffle or excuses, I said "a mistake was made" & I apologised. I'm not quite sure what else you want me to say.   The circumstances of the error were extremely odd, but, you know, odd things do happen. The loophole has now been blocked. Without the thread, no, I doubt it would have been spotted. Unless, as I have twice suggested, someone raised it with CC, or sent me a PM.
    Posted by Tikay10
    How many more mistakes like this we don't know about is probably what a lot of people want to know and tbf its a pretty big mistake and how could a mistake like this be made in the 1st place.

Iknow there s 1 regular poster on here who had his name changed and gave a reason(think he used the wifes card to top up) for it but is there more who have not told people about it also there is pl08 player who suddenly had a digit added.

I think most would like to change they're name and start afresh with all the info they have gained on others and the others having nothing on them.

Not looking for a arguement tony just asking

Oh has anyone been reading the thread on 2+2  Paul Dlugozima (Zima421) and John Racener among group of 5 to scam nearly $500,000 some great stuff on there hookers yayo nose coke holdalls its got everything you really could'nt make the stuff up  was great to start with but seems to be fizzling out now worth a look if any you missed it
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : How many more mistakes like this we don't know about is probably what a lot of people want to know and tbf its a pretty big mistake and how could a mistake like this be made in the 1st place. Iknow there s 1 regular poster on here who had his name changed and gave a reason(think he used the wifes card to top up) for it but is there more who have not told people about it also there is pl08 player who suddenly had a digit added. I think most would like to change they're name and start afresh with all the info they have gained on others and the others having nothing on them. Not looking for a arguement tony just asking Oh has anyone been reading the thread on 2+2  Paul Dlugozima (Zima421) and John Racener among group of 5 to scam nearly $500,000 some great stuff on there hookers yayo nose coke holdalls its got everything you really could'nt make the stuff up  was great to start with but seems to be fizzling out now worth a look if any you missed it
    Posted by churchy18

Think Tikay has already been pretty clear in previous posts.
  • edited January 2017
    Does that mean I can never be the big cheeze ;-(
  • edited January 2017

Re: Screen Names

posted at 20/1/2017 3:56 PM GMT on SkyPoker.com

First: 12/5/2013
    Last: 20/1/2017
    In Response to Re: Screen Names : How many more mistakes like this we don't know about is probably what a lot of people want to know and tbf its a pretty big mistake and how could a mistake like this be made in the 1st place. Iknow there s 1 regular poster on here who had his name changed and gave a reason(think he used the wifes card to top up) for it but is there more who have not told people about it also there is pl08 player who suddenly had a digit added. I think most would like to change they're name and start afresh with all the info they have gained on others and the others having nothing on them. Not looking for a arguement tony just asking Oh has anyone been reading the thread on 2+2  Paul Dlugozima (Zima421) and John Racener among group of 5 to scam nearly $500,000 some great stuff on there hookers yayo nose coke holdalls its got everything you really could'nt make the stuff up  was great to start with but seems to be fizzling out now worth a look if any you missed it
    Posted by churchy18

Think Tikay has already been pretty clear in previous posts.

Pretty sure he has not. He has only said a loophole has been closed but they can also be opened again i would imagine and nothing about it being a one off which it is not.