You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge

Comments

• edited May 2017
    So-back playing the pokers :)

Nice to see I've somehow climbed 2 places to 108th by not playing-now that's run good...

GL to everyone today-looking forward to the Vegas Main semi.

Phil

PS-please don't leave the forum for long, Jac-forum relies on you and about 20 others to continue, and it is the main USP Sky have. I've always found the likes of 2 plus 2 just too big and impersonal. This forum is nice and cosy-except for the occasional needless argument (where perhaps all sides could be a little more tolerant)
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil just saw this thread, WELL DONE on your vegas package win.  I knew you would do it! 
    I will look forward to reading your updates on your goals.  Good luck at the tables mate, and thank you for your advice and patience with regards to my poker;)  
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge:
    Hey Phil just saw this thread, WELL DONE on your vegas package win.  I knew you would do it!  I will look forward to reading your updates on your goals.  Good luck at the tables mate, and thank you for your advice and patience with regards to my poker;)  
    Posted by fi33er
    Thanks. Always a pleasure to help someone keen to improve. Best of luck-hope to see you in Vegas
  • edited May 2017
    I LIke the way you have moved the goal posts forward when you achieved your goals early mate, that is cool. 
    Just got 4th in the quarter final 3 got tickets, out with ak vs aq ;(
    A right kick in the nuts!

• edited May 2017
    I LIke the way you have moved the goal posts forward when you achieved your goals early mate, that is cool.  Just got 4th in the quarter final 3 got tickets, out with ak vs aq ;( A right kick in the nuts!
    Posted by fi33er
    Sometimes it just goes like that. Just now I had what I thought was a good hand, Flopped Top Pair Top Kicker, and bet into someone who had flopped a straight flush....hope your luck improves
  • edited May 2017
    Average day yesterday (and that's being kind). Update:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 8 places to 102
    2. To win 4 tracked MTTs-won 2
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-3
    4. To FT 2 Main or Mini-1
    5. To end the month in profit-looking hopeful

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Ran a bit better yesterday, including a 1st and a 3rd in smallish-field MTTs. So:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 47 places to 54
    2. To win 4 tracked MTTs-won 3
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-5

I'm currently running better than normal/expected-hope that continues until the end of the month

Phil
  • edited May 2017

well played yet again phil.  quite a tour de force.

i saw the results early this morning but kept quiet.  no spoilers.

profit for may can be seen here... you are doing well.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/monthprofit

• edited May 2017
    Followed your last challenge with interest and good to see you off to another great start.

Been lurking and only just got around to wishing you luck.

Is the summer season getting going in Frinton yet?

I was in Lytham this weekend, it's probably the Lancashire equivalent, nice to go for a walk and get some sun and sea air and most of all feel relatively young and mobile :-)
  • edited May 2017
    Followed your last challenge with interest and good to see you off to another great start. Been lurking and only just got around to wishing you luck. Is the summer season getting going in Frinton yet? I was in Lytham this weekend, it's probably the Lancashire equivalent, nice to go for a walk and get some sun and sea air and most of all feel relatively young and mobile :-)
    Posted by Phantom66
    It was last Thursday.
  • edited May 2017
    Frinton's Holiday season comes in 3 parts for your typical Frintonian:-

1. It's too cold, and the water's freezing;
    2. Place is full of Londoners, I'm staying in-I'm sure I just saw somebody under 50 years old;
    3. It's too cold, and there's no-one here

Happy bunch here-much like a forum of poker players :)

GL to all today

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck in your challenge Mr Essexphil - run golden x
  • edited May 2017
    Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck in your challenge Mr Essexphil - run golden x
    Posted by IrishRose
    Thanks-although not getting the luck of the Irish today, Rose. To be fair, I was due a day like this. Aces cracked, flips lost-but 1 day closer to a good day :)

I've had that many folds today, thinking of changing my name to Origami

• edited May 2017
    ha ha I like your attitude and wit Phil. gl tomorrow
  • edited May 2017
    Yesterday was not great. Final table on my last game of the day helped reduce the loss to a manageable level. So:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 1 place to 53
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-6

I'm currently still running better than normal/expected-hope that continues until the end of the month, so can put some spending money aside for July...

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Great overall progress Phil, good luck for the rest of the month!
  • edited May 2017
    Nice work essexphil good luck for your targets.
    Viva las Vegas
  • edited May 2017
    Good luck in the challenge. Entertaining read
  • edited May 2017
    As I am sure many of you know, I have been to "The Meadows" (Las Vegas in Spanish) many times. For those of you about to go for the first time, or those who dream of going, I thought I would mention a couple of things about the place.

The Strip is one road. On it lie hotels like nowhere else. The Palazzo/Venetian is the 2nd largest in the world. On the same street stand the MGM Grand and the City Center Aria-that's the 3rd and 4th largest hotels in the world. Just those 3 hotels have more than 20,000 rooms between them. You read that right-Twenty Thousand.

It doesn't end there. The Wynn, Mandalay Bay and Luxor are all in the top 10, and there are at least 10 more in the top 50, as well as various just off Strip (such as the Rio). Most are truly luxurious-i have stayed at the MGM, Wynn, Flamingo Hilton, Monte Carlo and New York New York-all have been luxurious, but the Palazzo is EVEN more plush-their "standard" rooms are nicer than most hotel's best room. Look them up online-they are that nice.

I am not much of a gambler, but standing close to a Craps table is genuinely exciting at the right time of day. The other unforgettable experience is just before the start of the last of the Day 1's at the Main Event-you can feel the tension in the air. I love that place.

Good luck at the tables

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil a belated good luck for your diary month. In the middle of your Vegas brag,  during our call the other day you declined to mention that you revived your diary. Congrats to sperz for overcoming St. Totteringham day this season. I will begrudge you the fact you are a better side than Arsenal at present. Harry Kane is still a gooner though you know ;).

Given that I am a crock these days, we need to find a way of getting out to Vegas without catastrophic medical bills. Perhaps a seasoned campaigner like Tikay can help!

Seriously though one of the great things about this forum down the years has been various diaries that detail a lot about the people behind a particular poker alias, for anyone new trying a diary don't just post results in the hope of gaining a readership. There is one current example of this and that is just dull in my opinion. 

• edited May 2017
    Hey Phil a belated good luck for your diary month. In the middle of your Vegas brag,  during our call the other day you declined to mention that you revived your diary. Congrats to sperz for overcoming St. Totteringham day this season. I will begrudge you the fact you are a better side than Arsenal at present. Harry Kane is still a gooner though you know ;). http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-kane-arsenal-shirt-again-5130669 Given that I am a crock these days, we need to find a way of getting out to Vegas without catastrophic medical bills. Perhaps a seasoned campaigner like Tikay can help! Seriously though one of the great things about this forum down the years has been various diaries that detail a lot about the people behind a particular poker alias, for anyone new trying a diary don't just post results in the hope of gaining a readership. There is one current example of this and that is just dull in my opinion. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Nice picture. Reminds me of the desperate days when we had to dredge up old pictures of Dennis Bergkamp as a Spurs fan-how times change.

We've been the poor relations for too long for me to gloat about (finally) finishing above you. Like most Spuds, I really don't like Arsenal, but have always found their fans (disappointingly) likeable. However, I do feel that many Arsenal fans are being too mean to M Wenger-frankly, with your current team, he is doing well to be pushing for top 4.

There needs to be a massive overhaul of players at your club-there is currently an unhealthy mixture of substandard recent signings, people on the way down after good careers, some who never quite fulfilled their potential, and some good players who seem to want to leave. The 1 bright spot is that 1 of those "leaving" players may well bring in enough money to overhaul your squad a la Bale. In addition, suspect that both clubs will get funds for a Right Back who looks great going forward, but cannot use their pace to get them out of trouble positionally forever :).

I hope that your health improves quicker than your team, mind. Hope we can go to Vegas together some time

Take care-oh, and COYS

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    The eagle-eyed amongst my 6 readers may have noticed the lack of an update yesterday. This was due to shame rather than laziness, as i had bricked every MTT I played.

Yesterday was a better day, although to borrow a quote from the Teekster, felt like I was staying on past beaten horses. A 2nd and an 8th saw some improvement. So:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 14 places to 40
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-7

I'm currently still running better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th...

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil,

Looking like you will cruise towards the initial goals you set!

Good luck beating your best ever 'best player' position.

Regarding your challenge in general...

I think this is a brilliant way to help focus our play. You had the rough day the day before but can easily see that for the month as a whole things are going well. Sometimes the rough days can give us a skewed impression of how things are going but the challenge keeps things in perspective.

I tend to have a good few days and then a really bad one, at which point I often throw the toys out of the pram and forget I had the good few days previously. I may pinch the idea and set some goals for between now and when the VLV live games kick off in July if you have no objections.

Best of luck with the rest of this.
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil, Looking like you will cruise towards the initial goals you set! Good luck beating your best ever 'best player' position. Regarding your challenge in general... I think this is a brilliant way to help focus our play. You had the rough day the day before but can easily see that for the month as a whole things are going well. Sometimes the rough days can give us a skewed impression of how things are going but the challenge keeps things in perspective. I tend to have a good few days and then a really bad one, at which point I often throw the toys out of the pram and forget I had the good few days previously. I may pinch the idea and set some goals for between now and when the VLV live games kick off in July if you have no objections. Best of luck with the rest of this.
    Posted by markycash
    Entirely up to you. This one will finish on 31 May/1 June. Can see merit in starting as I finish or before. Good luck.

The best thing about these for me is the fear of failure. Concentrates my mind!
  • edited May 2017
    The eagle-eyed amongst my 6 readers may have noticed the lack of an update yesterday. This was due to shame rather than laziness, as i had bricked every MTT I played. Yesterday was a better day, although to borrow a quote from the Teekster, felt like I was staying on past beaten horses. A 2nd and an 8th saw some improvement. So:- 1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)- up 14 places to 40 2. To win 4 tracked MTTs -won 3 3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs- 7 4. To FT 2 Main or Mini -1 5. To end the month in profit- looking hopeful I'm currently still running better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th... Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

Name and shame them please.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : Entirely up to you. This one will finish on 31 May/1 June. Can see merit in starting as I finish or before. Good luck. The best thing about these for me is the fear of failure. Concentrates my mind!
    Posted by Essexphil

Cheers Phil,

I will start one in the next few days as I don't think it will get in the road of this one. I will just basically be tagging a few goals onto my diary. Doubt I will be doing Aussie's leaderboard thing either as I play different tourneys. May just set some profit goals etc.

Completely agree on the 'fear of failure' thing too :)
  • edited May 2017
    The eagle-eyed amongst my 6 readers may have noticed the lack of an update yesterday. This was due to shame rather than laziness, as i had bricked every MTT I played. Yesterday was a better day, although to borrow a quote from the Teekster, felt like I was staying on past beaten horses. A 2nd and an 8th saw some improvement. So:- 1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)- up 14 places to 40 2. To win 4 tracked MTTs -won 3 3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs- 7 4. To FT 2 Main or Mini -1 5. To end the month in profit- looking hopeful I'm currently still running better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th... Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    i think this is one :)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : Cheers Phil, I will start one in the next few days as I don't think it will get in the road of this one. I will just basically be tagging a few goals onto my diary. Doubt I will be doing Aussie's leaderboard thing either as I play different tourneys. May just set some profit goals etc. Completely agree on the 'fear of failure' thing too :)
    Posted by markycash
    hi marky,

i went to see if you feature in any of the leagues and wasn't surprised to see that you do.  several times.  if you use the "Find" page you'll see.

the one that you really must look at is the Cash %.  this is for 2017 to date to illustrate who has the best cash percentage of games played.  check down the list until you see your alias.

then there's the one that shows....

ps.  excellent stuff.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/cash

pps.  oh, and you are currently 81st best player, one of the top 50 win% players and your points per game is in the top 50.

ppps.  i'm envious.

• edited May 2017

i am one of your 6 followers phil.

glgl