You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge

Comments

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge:
    i am one of your 6 followers phil. glgl
    Posted by aussie09
    So Aussie & me - that makes 2.

Phil suggested he had 6 readers.

Did he go to the Diane Abbott school of mathematics?

Maybe we need a boring accountant to mediate on this. Do we know of such a man?

• edited May 2017
    Any accountant can normally tell you how many beans make 5.

For this, they normally charge you 6 beans.
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil, Looking like you will cruise towards the initial goals you set! Good luck beating your best ever 'best player' position. Regarding your challenge in general... I think this is a brilliant way to help focus our play. You had the rough day the day before but can easily see that for the month as a whole things are going well. Sometimes the rough days can give us a skewed impression of how things are going but the challenge keeps things in perspective. I tend to have a good few days and then a really bad one, at which point I often throw the toys out of the pram and forget I had the good few days previously. I may pinch the idea and set some goals for between now and when the VLV live games kick off in July if you have no objections. Best of luck with the rest of this.
    Posted by markycash
    im reading Phil
    the highlighted bit
    im the opposite , i have lots of bad days then the odd good day :)
  • edited May 2017

Guilty as charged M'Lud.
  • edited May 2017
    I think that makes me 5...where is the other one lurking?
  • edited May 2017
    Good going Phil lad, 
    It looks like you will probably reach your goals.

There are many readers like me phil,
    that read threads but don't post on them enough.
    So I am sure you have more than 6 readers.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say, you have reached double figures yet,
    but you never know, who's lurking, GL, 

Regards Alan ( plo8 champ)

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : hi marky, i went to see if you feature in any of the leagues and wasn't surprised to see that you do.  several times.  if you use the "Find" page you'll see. the one that you really must look at is the Cash %.  this is for 2017 to date to illustrate who has the best cash percentage of games played.  check down the list until you see your alias. then there's the one that shows.... ps.  excellent stuff. www.PokerSuperHero.com/cash pps.  oh, and you are currently 81st best player, one of the top 50 win% players and your points per game is in the top 50. ppps.  i'm envious.  
    Posted by aussie09

Many thanks Aussie!

I play a lot of the PLO8 BH's which I don't think feature in the tracked tourneys. I see there are plenty of other things to look at though so will check in more often :)

Excellent site!
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : Many thanks Aussie! I play a lot of the PLO8 BH's which I don't think feature in the tracked tourneys. I see there are plenty of other things to look at though so will check in more often :) Excellent site!
    Posted by markycash

thanks marky

i've got a new name for plo8 ..

PLOB

and those who play are PLOBBERS

no idea if it will catch on.

• edited May 2017
    i've got a new name for plo8 .. PLOB and those who play are PLOBBERS no idea if it will catch on.
    Posted by aussie09
    I'm not allowed to type what I wanted...:)
  • edited May 2017
    Fellow reader here.

Enjoyable thread, keep posting, keep crushing. All the best in Vegas and hope you decide to post some kind of blog to tell us what you got up to.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : So Aussie & me - that makes 2. Phil suggested he had 6 readers. Did he go to the Diane Abbott school of mathematics? Maybe we need a boring accountant to mediate on this. Do we know of such a man?      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm surprised at you Mr Tikay sir - never thought you'd be sexist!  I'm a boring accountant and I also admit to being an avid reader of this thread :)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : I'm surprised at you Mr Tikay sir - never thought you'd be sexist!  I'm a boring accountant and I also admit to being an avid reader of this thread :)
    Posted by IrishRose
    Mr tikay sir-or to give him his ancestral title, Lord Teeks of Permafold-would appear to be snookered-how unlucky is that on a poker site?
  • edited May 2017
    Good going Phil lad,  It looks like you will probably reach your goals. There are many readers like me phil, that read threads but don't post on them enough. So I am sure you have more than 6 readers. I wouldn't go as far as to say, you have reached double figures yet, but you never know, who's lurking, GL,  Regards Alan ( plo8 champ)
    Posted by ajmilton
    +1 still lurking and keeping an eye on your results - gl with rest of the targets
  • edited May 2017
    Hey Phil - I pop in and have a read, enjoyed the bit you wrote on 'The Meadows' and looking forward to meeting you out there.

Some nice results as well, well played.

Cheers
    Greg.
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks for the many positive comments on here-much appreciated.

Weak day yesterday-just the 1 small cash, meaning I rise up a massive 1 place.

Day off today-wife and in-laws forcing me to watch Eurovision. Yeeuch.

GL-Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks for the many positive comments on here-much appreciated. Weak day yesterday-just the 1 small cash, meaning I rise up a massive 1 place. Day off today-wife and in-laws forcing me to watch Eurovision. Yeeuch. GL-Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    Its a lot better with a few punts on - Have you had a bet on it
  • edited May 2017
    Don't like the idea of betting on Eurovosion. Half the votes are provided by people who watched a different performance to you, and the other half involves people voting for their mates, and the make-up of that half of the votes is hidden.

One thing that fascinates me-why is it that British ex-pats never bother to vote for us? There are loads of expats in Malta/Cyprus/Ireland/Spain/France, but we always seem to do woefully there. Other countries expats seem to have far more affinity with their roots, as well as bothering to learn the language where they move to :)

Frustrating day, poker-wise. 2nd successive 8th in the Vegas Main semi-biggest non-surprise was getting 2-outered by Mr Bates for about 1/3 of all the chips in the tournament. 3 cashes, but no Final Tables-closest was bubbling my QQ against a 22 aipf-meh. That's the fascination of poker-some days I really hate it. When I'm on  the other side of such things-not so much.

So:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 2 places to 39
    2. To win 4 tracked MTTs-won 3
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-7
    4. To FT 2 Main or Mini-1
    5. To end the month in profit-looking hopeful

I'm currently still running slightly better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th, but starting to look unlikely

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Only played the Main yesterday. Overplayed an average hand on the bubble-such is life.

Will play a few today, but not too many as feel I am playing sub-optimally (even by my standards)

GL today

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Only played the Main yesterday. Overplayed an average hand on the bubble-such is life. Will play a few today, but not too many as feel I am playing sub-optimally (even by my standards) GL today Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

GL tonight Phil

I was feeling the same so chilled today, watched some poker videos and am raring to go again lol.

Whether it works or not is another matter entirely...
  • edited May 2017
    Cracking results so far Phil, keep up the good work.
  • edited May 2017
    Cracking results so far Phil, keep up the good work.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Good start, but poor middle-let's hope for a good end. On a separate note, had my prostate checked today-not a pleasant experience. My GP will have to buy me dinner before he does that again...

Back to the update:-

Just one 7th place yesterday (unless you count the losses)

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 2 places to 36
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-7

I'm currently still running very slightly better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th, but starting to look increasingly unlikely

Phil
  • edited May 2017

Eye-watering stuff.
  • edited May 2017

hi phil,

just a note to look out for an added best player page.  there are two now; one rolling week and one rolling month.  your quest uses the rolling month table.

good luck over the weekend.

• edited May 2017
    2 days away from poker to recharge the batteries, back today.

Big push from now to next Sunday-gl all

Phil
  • edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017
    Yesterday was definitely a "nearly" day-4 cashes, 2 final tables including a 2nd. Felt I played a bit better, though variance was definitely positive before the money.

Just had the pleasure of finishing 4th in the Rainman/Chav Challenge-fun, tho it can be hard getting reads on players at lower stakes. Hope Cenachav gets better soon.

Cunning of Rob to change the "Best Player" tabs, but can still find the relevant info-update:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up 11 places to 22
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-9

I'm currently still running very slightly better than normal/expected-if this continues I MIGHT be in with a chance of beating my best ever "best player" position of 7th, but starting to look increasingly unlikely-top 10 poss...

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Complete blank in the tracked MTTs. Mixture of run/play bad.

On a brighter note, won an all-in sat and a quarter final to the Main Event-just 2 tournaments to go!

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Grim day on here yesterday, for me anyway. In first 10 minutes lost Blind on Blind, KK v AA, followed by 77 v KK on a K72 flop. Early finish calling out for me there, so watched Elementary :)

Quick comment re Sky poker changes. I've mentioned before that some qualifiers work really well, particularly the 6 pms. Others are struggling to get off the ground. I suggested some form of incentive, for example triple points, to kick start them. Sky Poker's solution?-they have increased the min number to pre-register or they get cancelled. Now even more qualifiers are not starting. In the meantime it is next to impossible to find qualifiers, both due to the plethora of all-in sats (aka bingo) and the most expensive qualifiers (the £60-plus) being hidden from view, often past the start time. Sky gets lots of things right, but not this particular part. Rant over.
  • edited May 2017
    Another blank day yesterday-now running below expectation, tho still in profit-just.

On the positive side, Sunday looking super exciting (Sky needs a day like this Sunday), and today going a bit better-so far

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    Grim few days. Current specialty-going all in pre with AA and losing. I don't mind this happening all the time in Freerolls, and 1 in 5 times in bigger MTTs, but currently on a horrendous run of these.

I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories-the cards just fall this way sometimes. Even so, I think the time has come for me to seriously consider giving up playing online. Will definitely grind til the end of the month, and will update "progress" later.