You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge

124»

Comments

• edited May 2017

Keep your chins up, Phil.

Remember, good things happen to good people.*

* Actually, that's nonsense, but it's a comfort cloth for some of us.

• edited May 2017
    Yes, keep yer chin up Phil.

Hoping variance shows you its nicer side very soon!
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge:
    Yes, keep yer chin up Phil. Hoping variance shows you its nicer side very soon!
    Posted by markycash
    Thanks for the kind words, though I'm sure the Teekster said "chins" quite deliberately. I have a passing resemblance to the late great wrestler "King Kong Kirk" or, as a Glaswegian friend of mine said many years ago, I look like "a beach ball wi' arms".

Ran better yesterday. Highlight was 2x final tables. Lowlight-2x 4th places-i hate 4th. Still-1 of my challenges now done, with just 2 days to go. Update:-

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-up to 19th
    2. To win 4 tracked MTTs-won 3
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-11
    4. To FT 2 Main or Mini-1
    5. To end the month in profit-looking hopeful, albeit small

Phil
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : Thanks for the kind words, though I'm sure the Teekster said "chins" quite deliberately. I have a passing resemblance to the late great wrestler "King Kong Kirk" or, as a Glaswegian friend of mine said many years ago, I look like "a beach ball wi' arms". Ran better yesterday. Highlight was 2x final tables. Lowlight-2x 4th places-i hate 4th. Still-1 of my challenges now done, with just 2 days to go. Update:- 1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)- up to 19th 2. To win 4 tracked MTTs -won 3 3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs- 11 4. To FT 2 Main or Mini -1 5. To end the month in profit- looking hopeful, albeit small Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

LOL!

Glad you had a better day yesterday mate!

'Uh Beach baw wi airums' might be the correct pronunciation :D
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge :   LOL! Glad you had a better day yesterday mate! 'Uh Beach baw wi airums' might be the correct pronunciation :D
    Posted by markycash
    Quick silly Glasgow story for you.

My eldest nephew lives in Partick. Loves playing 5-a-side football, played for years. 2 years ago there was a biggish tournament, and Rangers turned up. My nephew's team lost in the semifinal to another really good team, and the Rangers keeper gets concussed in the other Semi. Rangers asked my nephew to play for them in the Final-he agreed to do so provided they never told a soul.

My nephew was managing the biggest Celtic pub in Glasgow at the time-the regulars never knew he'd played for Rangers! For the record, he's a Spurs fan ;)
  • edited May 2017

good luck on your last day, phil.

no matter how unlucky you might feel, you have clearly found it very difficult not to be successful.  good luck tonight.  just win the main (or mini).

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : Quick silly Glasgow story for you. My eldest nephew lives in Partick. Loves playing 5-a-side football, played for years. 2 years ago there was a biggish tournament, and Rangers turned up. My nephew's team lost in the semifinal to another really good team, and the Rangers keeper gets concussed in the other Semi. Rangers asked my nephew to play for them in the Final-he agreed to do so provided they never told a soul. My nephew was managing the biggest Celtic pub in Glasgow at the time-the regulars never knew he'd played for Rangers! For the record, he's a Spurs fan ;)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Haha, cracking story Phil.

Two of my neighbours nephews come from a VERY Rangers orientated family and are promising young footballers approaching their teens. One of them signed for Rangers, the other was spotted and signed by another club though... Celtic :)

At the end of the day it is only a game. I am a huge Celtic fan but if Rangers came knocking looking for a 40+ year old out of shape person to play for them and offered me a few quid I would be playing in a heartbeat!

Good luck for the last day of your challenge Phil.
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Phil , well done on the challange....i feel better now about helping you along with hitting so many of your goals !
      I hope the Nephew let in a few goals in thr game for Rangers....me being a Celtic fan .
      Had a great gift from a friend at my live Friday game, he knows i was at the Celtic v Vojvodina game 1967
     as a step on the way to winning the European cup, game me a match programme in mint condition.
       I was very touched, ........its not true ...lots of nice people play poker .
        Good luck tonight, and Marky...HH .
  • edited May 2017
    Hi Phil , well done on the challange....i feel better now about helping you along with hitting so many of your goals !   I hope the Nephew let in a few goals in thr game for Rangers....me being a Celtic fan .   Had a great gift from a friend at my live Friday game, he knows i was at the Celtic v Vojvodina game 1967  as a step on the way to winning the European cup, game me a match programme in mint condition.    I was very touched, ........its not true ...lots of nice people play poker .     Good luck tonight, and Marky...HH .
    Posted by glencoelad
    HH glencoe :)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: Essexphil's May Sky's the Limit Challenge : HH glencoe :)
    Posted by markycash
    Can see where you 2 "hail" from. Like many an Englishman who loves Scotland, have a Scottish team that I have always followed (and have been many times). It's the Hibees-one abiding memory was at a packed Edinburgh derby, and a Hearts fan having a wee in my pocket! Really looking forward to next season (finally) back in the SPL.

GL today-yesterday was a total blank, but felt I played well. Down to 21st, and now even on a slight loss-1 day to turn it around :)

Phil
  • edited June 2017
    Near misses were the order of the day, meaning (just) failed on most targets.

1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)-finished 21st
    2. To win 4 tracked MTTs-won 3
    3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs-11
    4. To FT 2 Main or Mini-1
    5. To end the month in profit-small loss

In a way, this shows variance in its usual form-short burst of high profit followed by a longer period of smaller losses.

In separate news, BetVictor are closing their poker offering (though maintaining all other betting operations). This is another blow to the Microgaming network, after the PKR nonsense. Nice to see, 1 month in, that I have received precisely 1 generic email from the Administrators of PKR. Not prepared to bet that that means the costs are low ;). Always nice to see the Gambling Commission sitting on their hands doing precisely what they always do...what are they there for?

Thanks to all 6 of you for reading-the end

Phil
  • edited June 2017

hi phil,

your achievements are superb.

many might forget that you set high targets and quickly beat them, then chose to reset them even higher.   each one of your 5 targets is a quest well above the aspirations of most others.  well above mine.

congratulations.

• edited June 2017
    Near misses were the order of the day, meaning (just) failed on most targets. 1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)- finished 21st 2. To win 4 tracked MTTs -won 3 3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs- 11 4. To FT 2 Main or Mini -1 5. To end the month in profit- small loss In a way, this shows variance in its usual form-short burst of high profit followed by a longer period of smaller losses. In separate news, BetVictor are closing their poker offering (though maintaining all other betting operations). This is another blow to the Microgaming network, after the PKR nonsense. Nice to see, 1 month in, that I have received precisely 1 generic email from the Administrators of PKR. Not prepared to bet that that means the costs are low ;). Always nice to see the Gambling Commission sitting on their hands doing precisely what they always do...what are they there for? Thanks to all 6 of you for reading-the end Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    Very unlucky with your targets but very good results all the same gl with your next one 
  • edited June 2017
    A cracking pop at the challenge Phil and a good read along the way!

GL @ the tables
  • edited June 2017
    Enjoyed reading, Phil - hope you do another
  • edited June 2017
    Top result mate well done 
  • edited June 2017
    gg

Surprising news about betvictor, hope other bookies dont follow suit
  • edited June 2017
    gg from your seventh reader. As Aussie said, those targets which you narrowly missed are in another universe to most of us
  • edited June 2017
    Near misses were the order of the day, meaning (just) failed on most targets. 1. To achieve top 20 by end of month on Aussie's "best player"- (currently  420th)- finished 21st 2. To win 4 tracked MTTs -won 3 3. To final table 10 tracked MTTs- 11 4. To FT 2 Main or Mini -1 5. To end the month in profit- small loss In a way, this shows variance in its usual form-short burst of high profit followed by a longer period of smaller losses. In separate news, BetVictor are closing their poker offering (though maintaining all other betting operations). This is another blow to the Microgaming network, after the PKR nonsense. Nice to see, 1 month in, that I have received precisely 1 generic email from the Administrators of PKR. Not prepared to bet that that means the costs are low ;). Always nice to see the Gambling Commission sitting on their hands doing precisely what they always do...what are they there for? Thanks to all 6 of you for reading-the end Phil
    Posted by Essexphil
    That many? You sure?

No surprise to see BMU close their poker offering. They had almost zero traffic, & that had been the case for some time. Expect a few others to follow them in the near future.

PS - "BMU" stands for "Butter me up", as per Bet Victor's rather curious TV advertising campaign.

• edited June 2017

PS - well done on the challenge. I'd say they were pretty good results for a man of your age & abilities.