You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Major MTT Strength

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Its all information and it is up to people to interpret. I do worry about statements like avoiding games considered tough when you look at the games that are considered tough. I doubt a number of the games would be considered tough if you asked sky MTT regs.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength:
    Its all information and it is up to people to interpret. I do worry about statements like avoiding games considered tough when you look at the games that are considered tough. I doubt a number of the games would be considered tough if you asked sky MTT regs.
    Posted by MattBates
    note that i angled it more towards chosing to play the soft and ok games.

it is certainly just information that people can use or discard as they wish. 

i would add that if you asked sky MTT regs you would get a range of answers about strength. 

as you play high volumes you will be better informed from your own experience.  for those who dont play volumes they are having to guess more.  with game strength information, which is objective and updated daily using current data, i think their ability to judge where to buy-in is enhanced.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : i refer you to my previous responses.
    Posted by aussie09
    Love this hahahaha 

You have cracked how to deal with the sky trolls on here. 

Great debate with some great points made on both sides. At the end kf the day you put this up for people to see and interpret as they wish. 
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : Love this hahahaha  You have cracked how to deal with the sky trolls on here.  Great debate with some great points made on both sides. At the end kf the day you put this up for people to see and interpret as they wish. 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    It's a close one
    I do believe you are in the top two for the biggest tool on the forum prize though 
    Wp
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : Love this hahahaha  You have cracked how to deal with the sky trolls on here.  Great debate with some great points made on both sides. At the end kf the day you put this up for people to see and interpret as they wish. 
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Maybe look at your recent posts before saying about trolls
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : note that i angled it more towards chosing to play the soft and ok games. it is certainly just information that people can use or discard as they wish.  i would add that if you asked sky MTT regs you would get a range of answers about strength.  as you play high volumes you will be better informed from your own experience.  for those who dont play volumes they are having to guess more.  with game strength information, which is objective and updated daily using current data, i think their ability to judge where to buy-in is enhanced.
    Posted by aussie09
    The problem with this is you say its objective when it is your opinion of the information. When you show your tables as fun its fine, when you are effectively advising players on what to play it changing things. If you were showing how reggy games are then that's fine but your tables link volume to ability then you judge how hard a game is.

Some on the forum will take the information with a pinch of salt, others will take it as gospel and this is where I have concerns.
  • edited June 2017

for strength there are two factors

the first (percentage) is the proportion of players who have appeared in the best player leagues at some time this year.  so it a minimal threshold.

the second (factor) is a measure of how high as best player these players have been.

then combined to give one of only 4 banded categories; soft, ok, hard and omg.

these are just the numbers.  there are what they are, no more, no less. 

for many, giving people an idea of game strength is a good thing.  for you, as you are are top player who plays very well and plays large volume, it is probably superfluous.  you will have developed your own way.

interpretation of numbers is a different thing.  i seek a pattern over a long period of time, and how the numbers relate to each other, how one player's pattern differs from another's or the norm, all to indicate a style of play that might lead to a tweak.  one such tweak last week helped (in a small way) one player to win again and they did so in a main event.  this has happened on many occasions where people have asked me to comment.  i am delighted to see when it works for them. 

• edited June 2017
    You see 
    The above post is where it all goes wrong.
    As I've said before as a fun thing it's fine. It's when you start making claims that your site is actually so good that it helps people win the main that the problems begin.

It's purely a subjective thing that you do and no hard facts can ever be gleaned from it.
    The flaws are clear but even when people as skilled as Bates (hate to say that) question it, you still remain steadfast in your approach.
    You can have all the data in the world but when your starting point is wrong it will never be truly reflective.

The very moment you add in pure volume as an indicator to ability, you've lost.

My issue is that people are not always totally switched on to things and will take it as gospel that your site will improve them. Then they will see your 'donations' bit and end up paying you for useless information.

You advised Haysie that he goes out in the first quarter too often. Just another example of how your interpretations are wrong 

• edited June 2017

RETURNS

here is a 43rd league of best player.

personally, i have always disliked that highest returns is seen as a quality way of assessing performance.  traditionally this is one of the ways that poker success has been assessed.

nevertheless, some people take notice of returns and find it meaningful, or informative.

it is just one of 43 different leagues.  use or discard as you wish.

www.PokerSuperHero.com/returns

• edited June 2017
    I'll ask 
    for me poker is about enjoyment. now I enjoy winning so will look at returns I make which for my hobby I do ok. sharkscope is wrong on my stats btw.
    could you explain why you think returns is not relevant.
    thanks 
    micky
  • edited June 2017
    You see  The above post is where it all goes wrong. As I've said before as a fun thing it's fine. It's when you start making claims that your site is actually so good that it helps people win the main that the problems begin. It's purely a subjective thing that you do and no hard facts can ever be gleaned from it. The flaws are clear but even when people as skilled as Bates (hate to say that) question it, you still remain steadfast in your approach. You can have all the data in the world but when your starting point is wrong it will never be truly reflective. The very moment you add in pure volume as an indicator to ability, you've lost. My issue is that people are not always totally switched on to things and will take it as gospel that your site will improve them. Then they will see your 'donations' bit and end up paying you for useless information. You advised Haysie that he goes out in the first quarter too often. Just another example of how your interpretations are wrong 
    Posted by Jac35

As I've said before as a fun thing it's fine. (Rob: yes, it is fun and not as serious as you want to make out.)

It's when you start making claims that your site is actually so good that it helps people win the main that the problems begin. (Rob: Incorrect, I spoke only of me comparing patterns.  This has helped and this does help.  There are numerous examples, there are numerous testimonies from players.  I don’t mind if you don’t think so.)

It's purely a subjective thing that you do and no hard facts can ever be gleaned from it. (Rob: that’s not correct, there are many hard facts, thousands.)

The flaws are clear but even when people as skilled as Bates (hate to say that) question it, you still remain steadfast in your approach. (Rob:  Flaws are omnipresent. Why not reveal your methods and we’ll see whether it has more or fewer flaws.)

You can have all the data in the world but when your starting point is wrong it will never be truly reflective. (Rob: Yes, of course.)

The very moment you add in pure volume as an indicator to ability, you've lost. (Rob: Agreed. Quantitative methods alone without qualitative methods would not be helpful.)

My issue is that people are not always totally switched on to things and will take it as gospel that your site will improve them. (Rob: I am more of a mind to help those people.)

Then they will see your 'donations' bit and end up paying you for useless information.  (Rob: nobody pays for anything.  It is all free.  If anyone is kind enough to help toward costs I am grateful. For three years, I have paid for everything myself.  The pleasure for me is helping my virtual friends on Sky Poker and I will continue to bear the costs whilst it remains fun.)

You advised Haysie that he goes out in the first quarter too often. Just another example of how your interpretations are wrong. (Rob: that’s so funny and incorrect.) 

Rob:  I am not going to argue with you.  You have your view, others have a different view.  You are no more right than me.  Anyway, you shouldn’t be looking, after all you were blocked over a year ago and simply not welcome.

• edited June 2017
    I'll ask  for me poker is about enjoyment. now I enjoy winning so will look at returns I make which for my hobby I do ok. sharkscope is wrong on my stats btw. could you explain why you think returns is not relevant. thanks  micky
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    it is good to see returns.  my reservation is that it is so volume orientated.  mind you, to be on this list would be something i would like a lot.

well done on your figures this year, micky.  excellent stuff.

• edited June 2017

Returns are not profit in this instance.

You could spend 10k and have returns of 5k.

5K sounds good but overall you are 5k down.

I know its an extreme example .

Again this is all linked to volume which has no bearing of best player.

Not a dig but from reading posts I think most people are disputing the best player tag using volume which skews statistics wildly.

I'll ask  for me poker is about enjoyment. now I enjoy winning so will look at returns I make which for my hobby I do ok. sharkscope is wrong on my stats btw. could you explain why you think returns is not relevant. thanks  micky
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
  • edited June 2017
    Paul: bangs head against wall
    Paul: Another thing you get wrong repeatedly is this assumption that I spend a lot of time on your site. I don't. It's quite difficult to avoid what with your incessant Facebook spam and posts on here.
    Paul: A lot of hot air and the ability to not answer straightforward questions that you don't like. You'd be a good politician 

I'll ignore your "simply not welcome" comments and such like and just say.

I do respect the work you put into this and I'm sure a lot of people find it fun. If you want to spend an enourmous amount of your time doing these tables then that's your choice.

My beef is that you have a donation side to it. It's better than before when you introduced the payment to accces certain areas of your site but it's still not good.

In addition to that. It's totally subjective. As a tool to help people it is poor. Sharkscope, which is free, is superior in every way.

This will please you. I'm done here 
  • edited June 2017

volume is useful to improve confidence in any meaning taken from the results.

out of the 43 best leagues there are over a dozen that are skewed towards quality, for example return on investment percentage (ROI%).  to be meaningful a quantity threshold needs to be included, otherwise a player winning when playing one game would be high in the league.  for the year to date, i have taken 50 major games as being the threshold, above which percentages are put into order.

the choice of what the threshold should be is subjective.  a higher threshold increases confidence in the results but will exclude those with better results just bubbling under.

i responded to a request to produce a high volume ROI% league and used a 500 game and 1,000 game threshold.  it was fascinating to see the outcome.   the same numbers, many players excluded, however, there was an increased confidence in knowing that those at the top of the league were likely to be the best.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : it is good to see returns.  my reservation is that it is so volume orientated.  mind you, to be on this list would be something i would like a lot. well done on your figures this year, micky.  excellent stuff.
    Posted by aussie09
    thanks mate 
    there even better as I've sat into every major torn I've played 
    I do need to have a better look at your site but I'm not great on computer and last time got very confused. I'll take a look when have time and drop you a p.m. 
    thanks again 
    micky

• edited June 2017
    Paul: bangs head against wall Paul: Another thing you get wrong repeatedly is this assumption that I spend a lot of time on your site. I don't. It's quite difficult to avoid what with your incessant Facebook spam and posts on here. Paul: A lot of hot air and the ability to not answer straightforward questions that you don't like. You'd be a good politician  I'll ignore your "simply not welcome" comments and such like and just say. I do respect the work you put into this and I'm sure a lot of people find it fun. If you want to spend an enourmous amount of your time doing these tables then that's your choice. My beef is that you have a donation side to it. It's better than before when you introduced the payment to accces certain areas of your site but it's still not good. In addition to that. It's totally subjective. As a tool to help people it is poor. Sharkscope, which is free, is superior in every way. This will please you. I'm done here 
    Posted by Jac35

you resort to playground-style attempts to provoke an argument.  i could list them but would probably overlook many.

i recall your astonishing post elsewhere about a road rage event, where you actually followed someone to their home and you strode to his front door to confront him.  you posted that the householder was rude to close the door on you and not to answer you.  breathtaking.  what on earth were you doing there?  it was the best way to deal with you, paul.

consider the door has been closed on you once again.

• edited June 2017
    Returns are not profit in this instance. You could spend 10k and have returns of 5k. 5K sounds good but overall you are 5k down. I know its an extreme example . Again this is all linked to volume which has no bearing of best player. Not a dig but from reading posts I think most people are disputing the best player tag using volume which skews statistics wildly. In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength :
    Posted by day4eire76
    thanks mate I got confused with returns and profit

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : you resort to playground-style attempts to provoke an argument.  i could list them but would probably overlook many. i recall your astonishing post elsewhere about a road rage event, where you actually followed someone to their home and you strode to his front door to confront him.  you posted that the householder was rude to close the door on you and not to answer you.  breathtaking.  what on earth were you doing there?  it was the best way to deal with you, paul. consider the door has been closed on you once again.
    Posted by aussie09
    That's an incredible post from you 
    I remember it quite clearly.

I made a mistake driving and reversed and nearly bumped into someone. They pulled on to their drive a few yards away. I knocked on their door and apologised. They shut the door in my face.

Quite different to what you describe.

I'm sure you'll go back and find it and find any small mistake that I've made and  you will let us know.

Incredibly bizarre that you would try and use it to back up some point of yours.

I genuinely think that you're disturbed 

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength:
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : The problem with this is you say its objective when it is your opinion of the information.
    Posted by MattBates
    one such tweak last week helped (in a small way) one player to win again and they did so in a main event.
    Posted by aussie09

It has helped and it does help.
    Posted by aussie09
    I have absolutely nothing against you or your site Rob and as mentioned before I honestly wish you every success with it.

I do share Matt's concerns though about volume and also regarding the quote I have highlighted.

There is no way you can know currently if looking at your data helped a player win a tourney on Sky, that is a very very bold and big claim to make. Even if the player thought it did, it could be nothing more than a placebo effect or sheer coincidence.

There are statistical tests which can be run on data like this to help indicate if such instances of players winning and crediting it to your site hold water. An ANOVA and Regression for example would help indicate if said player's win was likely down to your site or other factors and it would give significance values to indicate just how much confidence you could have in this assumption. This would involve running control groups and trying to iron out other factors which may be influencing events. If I was carrying out such research I would also try and introduce 'blind' or 'double blind' conditions. Only then IMO could you say "it has helped and it does help", until then you may be correct but you may be incorrect and it is just opinion and unfortunately not an objective statement. 
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to  Re: Major MTT Strength : In Response to  Re: Major MTT Strength : In Response to  Re: Major MTT Strength : I have absolutely nothing against you or your site Rob and as mentioned before I honestly wish you every success with it. I do share Matt's concerns though about volume and also regarding the quote I have highlighted. There is no way you can know currently if looking at your data helped a player win a tourney on Sky, that is a very very bold and big claim to make. Even if the player thought it did, it could be nothing more than a placebo effect or sheer coincidence. There are statistical tests which can be run on data like this to help indicate if such instances of players winning and crediting it to your site hold water. An ANOVA and Regression for example would help indicate if said player's win was likely down to your site or other factors and it would give significance values to indicate just how much confidence you could have in this assumption. This would involve running control groups and trying to iron out other factors which may be influencing events. If I was carrying out such research I would also try and introduce 'blind' or 'double blind' conditions. Only then IMO could you say "it has helped and it does help", until then you may be correct but you may be incorrect and it is just opinion and unfortunately not an objective statement. 
    Posted by markycash

hi marky,  i have always held a neutral position.

if you think it helps then great, if you don't think it helps then great too. 

when someone tells me it helps, that's great. 

i think it helps and i know it helps me.

i am not interested in claims.  if you like it, good.  if you don't like it, that's good too. 

i can't think of many more ways to say that i am really not fussed.

other than to say that i am now going to get one of the new double raspberry magnums from the fridge.  they are the best, in my opinion, of course. 

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : hi marky,  i have always held a neutral position. if you think it helps then great, if you don't think it helps then great too.  when someone tells me it helps, that's great.  i think it helps and i know it helps me. i am not interested in claims.  if you like it, good.  if you don't like it, that's good too.  i can't think of many more ways to say that i am really not fussed. other than to say that i am now going to get one of the new double raspberry magnums from the fridge.  they are the best, in my opinion, of course.   
    Posted by aussie09
    Hey Rob,

I didn't argue any of the points you just stated Rob. I was talking about the quotes I highlighted from your previous posts where you stated categorically that it had helped players win Sky tourneys?

I get the whole, like the site use it, don't like then don't use it stance. I fully understand this. I was just talking about the quotes in which you claimed the site had helped players win Sky tourneys. It may well have done but it also may well not have. Without proof it is just an opinion which may or may not be true. 

I haven't tried those Magnums, I am more a roll n bacon guy :D
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength :  i have always held a neutral position.
    Posted by aussie09
    Wouldn't a neutral position be that you would neither say the site has or has not helped players win Sky tourneys? (which happens to be my position I wouldn't call it either way).

You have stated a couple of times that it does help. This doesn't seem neutral to me.
  • edited June 2017
    Your site helped someone win a main?

This has to be a level now, right?
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : Wouldn't a neutral position be that you would neither say the site has or has not helped players win Sky tourneys? (which happens to be my position I wouldn't call it either way). You have stated a couple of times that it does help. This doesn't seem neutral to me.
    Posted by markycash
    to be precise, i actually talked about being able to compare patterns.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : to be precise, i actually talked about being able to compare patterns.
    Posted by aussie09
    I will drop it Rob as I don't want it to turn into a back and forth bicker, I did quote precisely what you yourself posted and don't feel I took anything out of context. I have absolutely no motive or desire to misquote you or try and change the context etc, I really honestly dont. 

Good luck with the site. It is all only poker chat at the end of the day, there are plenty more serious things to worry about.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : I will drop it Rob as I don't want it to turn into a back and forth bicker, I did quote precisely what you yourself posted and don't feel I took anything out of context. I have absolutely no motive or desire to misquote you or try and change the context etc, I really honestly dont.  Good luck with the site. It is all only poker chat at the end of the day, there are plenty more serious things to worry about.
    Posted by markycash

you took it out of context and attributed me with something that I didn't say.

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Major MTT Strength : yes, your cut and paste took it out if context and you attributed me with something I didn't say You need to be more careful.
    Posted by aussie09
    hate it when people do that

• edited June 2017
    this is too serious . i look at what ive deposited and what ive withdraw in my bank to weather ive won or lost and ignore all the stats
  • edited June 2017
    best thread ever <3