You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£100+10 weekly tournament? ***ANOTHER NAMING COMPETITION***

edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Yesterday i was talking with nutter5932 about the tournaments throughout the site and just wanted to know what every one would think to a higher buy in, better structured weekly tournament?

For example, it could be on a sunday at 8pm, £100+10 buy in, 20 minute blinds, say 3000 starting chips, and start at 15 30.

I think it would be a good chance for the higher limit players to get the opportunity to play tournament poker on a regular basis that is worth their time.

I appreciate that the buy in would be too high for many, but this could easily be resolved by running satelites throughout the week, or even sit an goes.

I know the demand for the open is high, so a daily £10+1 with 1 in 10 winning a seat to the tournament should be popular?

Would there need to be a guarantee on the tournament from sky or would people play anyway?

I think the weekly tournament could be the flagship and if you win it, you know you have deserved it and have beaten a tough field to do so.

I have read forums on who is the best mtt player on the site, and im sure this tournament would go a long way to finding out?

I would really appreciate feedback on the idea and to see if there would be a demand for it on the site.

Cheers

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Yes, but I would go for a deepstacked format for this tournie so 5k chips/15 min blinds.

• edited July 2009
    Great idea, and I hate to use this word, but....

We've only just got the £20 Deepie going, and that hasn't seen anywhere near the numbers that we were expecting after threads such as these were created asking for such a tournament, so I cannot see a £100+£10 buy-in happening anytime in the immediate future. Which is a shame, because it would be awesome to get a REAL flagship Tourney on the site, as opposed to the £15k BH which turns into a shove-fest far too quickly.

It is still a great idea and one which I would love to see implemented, but just don't cross too many fingers or toes about it if I were you.

Also to Dan, vwd on your Vegas Cash.
  • edited July 2009
    cheers young un,

would be good if people got behind it.
  • edited July 2009
    yeathink a good idea i would go 4 it
  • edited July 2009
    I find it difficult to fit in satellites, and would only buy in for £100 if my bankroll was in very good shape.  More likely to go for it if it was once a month.  It would also be good if the cash could be guaranteed to the first six as in the £20 deepstack, even if this does mean skimming the first prize.
  • edited July 2009
    id definitely play it regardless

what about the tv stuff which normally makes the structure of the good tournaments faster?

would need a guarantee to get going tho dont think there would be too much difficulty covering it if they bothered to put any effort into making it a good tourney with satellites etc.....i dont get the impression from previous threads that sky are willing to do this
  • edited July 2009
     I think you'll  find there's another thread by 'repton3' saying something similar about a bigger tourney, called "Another Named Tournament"
    It seems your all talking about the same thing , just not singing from the same hymn sheet ?.. check that thread !!

Problem at this time of year is summer holidays "numbers will always be down" untill the autumn !!
  • edited July 2009
    Yes as we talked about yesterday with some of the sky reps at york.

I think a tournament like this should be implemented to attract the Cash players .25/.50 /> 5/10 and i suppose £30 /> £100s Double your money / stt and Hu players who wouldn't normally feel the need to play the open or even the £20 deepstackfor serious play.

The thing is we all play to make money - So the £20 deepstack is great dont get me wrong but i would have to basically come 2nd or win it everynight to justify me playing it for money as opposed to fun. As i could just load up 5 £50 DYM's and potentially win the first place in the deepstack £150 in around 1 - 2 hours rather than concentrate on the deepstack [which you have to] for 3+ hours as it is now with 25ish runners a night.

I'm thinking thats right for any of the fellow £50 DYM players and cash players because we play for money as appose to "fun" but don't get me wrong we all love the game to ! So personally i think a £75+7? - £100+10 sunday 7:30-9pm tourny would go down a treat because every other poker site has a sunday big tourny where as sky dont.

Thinking off the top of my head i could think of

Nutter5932   Ljb1989         Gliterbabe
    Dantb10      Drewmcrobb    gerrard9
    Pokerbcity    CasioKid
    Freelancer    Pkrf1sh
    Haysie         armagh
    Phil12uk      IRONZ
    Bigshann     llew8181
    Jinglema     lidboy81
    gadgerno1   121285

Thank would probably play this buy-in and thier only DYM players ! A guarentee is not necessary to start with i don't think but maybe final table all payed could be. Even if the tournament gets put up in the lobby next week with no guarentee what do sky lose......nothing!

Anyway just my thoughts.
  • edited July 2009
    Would definately support this.  Used to play the fiveo every week when it was going and we got 50 for that without fail. 
    Think it would have to be a big one to start with to get people interested. Say instead of the 15k primo have a 15k deepstack.  They could plug for a few weeks and run plenty of sats.

Seen a lot of people suggesting that there could be a league for one of the tournaments. Well as suggested above this would defo be the turny to decide the best mtt player on sky. If it was turned into a league thing with a grand final for the top 40 at the end of about 3 months or so, would probably get even more support.

As for structure would keep exactly same as deepstck is now.  Alows for plenty of play but finishes early enough.  Probably would start at about 6-7pm though.

Good luck guys in getting this through.

The Shann
  • edited July 2009
    this needs to happen asap
  • edited July 2009

Hi All, yes I would totally be up for a larger flagship tournie like this on Sky, hope it can happen!
  • edited July 2009
    I remember chatting to some of the players about this at DTD and would definitely be playing if it happened.
  • edited July 2009

Great Idea Dan, i will defo play the sats to get into it, and will buy in bankroll dependant.

I agree with Solack, top 6 pay would be a good payout structure for it same as the 22 deepstack,.

• edited July 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, spread the word and get peoplemto show their support, then sky cant help but notice!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to £100+10 weekly tournament?:
    Hi all, Yesterday i was talking with nutter5932 about the tournaments throughout the site and just wanted to know what every one would think to a higher buy in, better structured weekly tournament? For example, it could be on a sunday at 8pm, £100+10 buy in, 20 minute blinds, say 3000 starting chips, and start at 15 30. I think it would be a good chance for the higher limit players to get the opportunity to play tournament poker on a regular basis that is worth their time. I appreciate that the buy in would be too high for many, but this could easily be resolved by running satelites throughout the week, or even sit an goes. I know the demand for the open is high, so a daily £10+1 with 1 in 10 winning a seat to the tournament should be popular? Would there need to be a guarantee on the tournament from sky or would people play anyway? I think the weekly tournament could be the flagship and if you win it, you know you have deserved it and have beaten a tough field to do so. I have read forums on who is the best mtt player on the site, and im sure this tournament would go a long way to finding out? I would really appreciate feedback on the idea and to see if there would be a demand for it on the site. Cheers
    Posted by dantb10
    that would be great,might get me back playing on skypoker with mtt like that,do u think 10 seats format would be gd for this big weekly?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: £100+10 weekly tournament?:
    Would definately support this.  Used to play the fiveo every week when it was going and we got 50 for that without fail.  Think it would have to be a big one to start with to get people interested. Say instead of the 15k primo have a 15k deepstack.  They could plug for a few weeks and run plenty of sats. Seen a lot of people suggesting that there could be a league for one of the tournaments. Well as suggested above this would defo be the turny to decide the best mtt player on sky. If it was turned into a league thing with a grand final for the top 40 at the end of about 3 months or so, would probably get even more support. As for structure would keep exactly same as deepstck is now.  Alows for plenty of play but finishes early enough.  Probably would start at about 6-7pm though. Good luck guys in getting this through. The Shann
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    i to loved the old five0 aswell ,1 of a kind mtt,why did they ruin it with five00?lets call for five0 2 come back,50 players 10 min blinds,start at 8pm,live tv coverage from 9pm? i know i should be working for sky
  • edited July 2009
    I too would love to see this a monthly tournie. Sats are critical as most people on here (me included) can't afford to consistently shell out £110.
    Reality tells me this will be a struggle. 30 again tonight for the £22 deepy and thats a reasonable representation of the numbers, despite everyone asking for the deepy thats all that we can get (and there are sats in place as well). Numbers are likely to decrease over the next few weeks as the holiday season deepens. In the £22 deepy paying 6 is good, but if you only get 20 runners or so, again are you going to feel that it isn't worthwhile playing? How many runners are you expecting?
    Also the point you make about playing poker to make money, this will be a harder field and potentially less attractive to good players like yourself as this will be a harder game to win without the usual fish. Even if this tourney goes ahead you might still make more profit from the £55 DYM's.
    Personally i like the 20 min 3000 chips structure, also a ten seater would be appreciated.
    Good luck and i hope you can make this happen!!
  • edited July 2009
    some good points ski cheers.

i think by running satelites there should be a good mix of players of all standards. if you get 30 for the £22 deepie, would you still play that tourney if it 'satelited' you into the big one? say 1 in 5 win a seat?

Whether you play for fun or for a living, the chance to play a good structured tourney with large prize pool would be very attractive to many players.

And the prestige that would be attached to winning it would be a big draw for many to stake their claim and prove themselves?
  • edited July 2009
    i still really want to see this get going and am in complete support of it but i dont think it could be a weekly feature.  imo there needs to be a guaranteed pool otherwise this will be another stt rather than an mtt within 2 or 3 runnings.

to get this going sky need to give it more support....tikay and the tv presenters need to play it and satellites would need to run well in advance.  to boost numbers points based satellites would be awesome too so maybe loyal players can find some use for their points.

i like the idea of there being a league format only for mtt players though.  on a previous site i played on their 8pm tourney every evening was the 'champions league' and there were points for this league each evening. at the end of the month there was a 1k freeroll for the top 10 players from those tournaments.

im still not sure how the deep stack structure will suit sky as they are likely to want to put this tourney on tv as it would be their biggest tourney and featuring all the players who regularly appear on their other shows.  with the televised shows they need to be able to schedule them including a likely finish time.  is this going to be televised?
  • edited July 2009
    defo, well up for this. 5k chips 15 min blinds sounds good
  • edited July 2009
    I too would love to see this a monthly tournie. Sats are critical as most people on here (me included) can't afford to consistently shell out £110. Reality tells me this will be a struggle. 30 again tonight for the £22 deepy and thats a reasonable representation of the numbers, despite everyone asking for the deepy thats all that we can get (and there are sats in place as well). Numbers are likely to decrease over the next few weeks as the holiday season deepens. In the £22 deepy paying 6 is good, but if you only get 20 runners or so, again are you going to feel that it isn't worthwhile playing? How many runners are you expecting? Also the point you make about playing poker to make money, this will be a harder field and potentially less attractive to good players like yourself as this will be a harder game to win without the usual fish. Even if this tourney goes ahead you might still make more profit from the £55 DYM's. Personally i like the 20 min 3000 chips structure, also a ten seater would be appreciated. Good luck and i hope you can make this happen!!
    Posted by skicowboys
    the five0 got 50 players at £100 every week no prob,u need tv for more players, just bring back the five0 with longer blinds,all replay to this if u want five0 back
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, you'll be pleased to know that the first £100 + £10 deepstack tournament is now up in the lobby and open for registration.

Tournament Details

Tournament name: £2000 Deepstack
    Start time: 7.15pm Sunday 2nd August (7.15pm every sunday thereafter)
    Buy-in: £100 + £10
    £2000 Guaranteed Prizepool
    5000 chips and 15 minute blinds (Same structure as the Viva Las Vegas Finals)
    Standard Sky MTT pay structure
    Highlights to be shown on Sky Channel 865.

Satellite Structure

Mondays - Saturdays

7.30pm
    10pm
    11pm

Buy-in £5.50 + £0.50 
    Maximum 20 players, 1 seat is guaranteed into the Sunday Deepstack.
    2000 chips and 10 minute blinds

We'll run these for the 1st 2 weeks to effectively guarantee 18 players in the deepstack each week from satellites alone, then dependant on numbers we may open these up to standard satellite structures.

Sundays

1.15pm
    2.15pm
    3.15pm
    3.45pm

Buy-In £11 + £1
    1 seat into the £2K Deepstack for every 10 entrants
    2000 chips and 10 minute blinds

We'll happily hold the £2000 guarantee for the 1st few weeks and guarantee the seats via satellites to help get this tournament going, but if this is going to grow into a flagship tournament then we need your support.

Also how about coming up with a name for it?

Best suggestion, as judged by me and Sky_Bernie by 5pm on Friday will win a seat into Friday Night's £9,000 GTD Open!

Thank you once again for all your comments, we hope you enjoy the tournament and if you have any further suggestions then please feel free to let us know.

Adam

• edited July 2009
    Tk and the guys are going to absolutely love this! sounds great to me.

How about for a name 'The Grand Slam'  - Grand Slam Sunday.

• edited July 2009

Fantastic news, well done guys and a big thank you to sky. I've already registered for the first sat tonight!
    Just one question, why would you limit the number that can play in the sats?
    Similar to the vegas sats you guarantee one place then pay cash value for 2nd until its gets to the value of a second seat etc.etc. That way anyone that wants to play can play.
    My choice for a name "SUPER SUNDAY", or "SUPERSTAR SUPERSTACK" or "SUNDAY SUPERSTACK".

• edited July 2009
    Good news about this new tournie....however I usually play live on a Sunday at a £100 tournie so will not be able to support it on a weekly basis, however if I can play in it I will.

• edited July 2009
    How about "THE £2k ULTIMASTACK"
  • edited July 2009
    Fantastic news, well done guys and a big thank you to sky. I've already registered for the first sat tonight! Just one question, why would you limit the number that can play in the sats? Similar to the vegas sats you guarantee one place then pay cash value for 2nd until its gets to the value of a second seat etc.etc. That way anyone that wants to play can play. My choice for a name "SUPER SUNDAY", or "SUPERSTAR SUPERSTACK" or "SUNDAY SUPERSTACK".
    Posted by skicowboys
    We cant guarantee a seat and also allow 1 in 20 to win their ticket. Therefore if there were 19 runners, no seat would be awarded, just a cash prize. If the number of runners is good in the satellites (I.E. they keep maxing out at 20) then we will revert to the standard satellite format, in the meantime by doing this way we can guarantee at least 18 players in the Sunday Final.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, keep them coming!
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, you'll be pleased to know that the first £100 + £10 deepstack tournament is now up in the lobby and open for registration. Tournament Details Tournament name: £2000 Deepstack Start time: 7.15pm Sunday 2nd August (7.15pm every sunday thereafter) Buy-in: £100 + £10 £2000 Guaranteed Prizepool 5000 chips and 15 minute blinds (Same structure as the Viva Las Vegas Finals) Standard Sky MTT pay structure Highlights to be shown on Sky Channel 865. Satellite Structure Mondays - Saturdays 7.30pm 10pm 11pm Buy-in £5.50 + £0.50  Maximum 20 players, 1 seat is guaranteed into the Sunday Deepstack. 2000 chips and 10 minute blinds We'll run these for the 1st 2 weeks to effectively guarantee 18 players in the deepstack each week from satellites alone, then dependant on numbers we may open these up to standard satellite structures. Sundays 1.15pm 2.15pm 3.15pm 3.45pm Buy-In £11 + £1 1 seat into the £2K Deepstack for every 10 entrants 2000 chips and 10 minute blinds We'll happily hold the £2000 guarantee for the 1st few weeks and guarantee the seats via satellites to help get this tournament going, but if this is going to grow into a flagship tournament then we need your support. Also how about coming up with a name for it? Best suggestion, as judged by me and Sky_Bernie by 5pm on Friday will win a seat into Friday Night's £9,000 GTD Open! Thank you once again for all your comments, we hope you enjoy the tournament and if you have any further suggestions then please feel free to let us know. Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam
    sorry to say the sats to this r a joke? winner takes all sat?why not have 1 big semi £10 sat daily? the tourney looks great,but i will never be buying str8 into it,and i wont be playing a winner takes all sat,who agrees with me? i think u nearly got it right this time sky
  • edited July 2009
    Well peeps its here!!

Cheers adam for the support and sorry for constantly goin on about it!lol

Lets make this tourney the flagship guys and get right behind it as we have in the forum.

It could be called 'THE SUNDAY REAL DEAL'

Sigh... im terrible at coming up with names but thats the best i can offer lol!
  • edited July 2009

WATCH THIS SPACE!