You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

idea to get players to stay with sky poker

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Nice one denis!-- we all want the site to grow, and it's hard to see why it's not reaching it's potential-- one reason I know is the download issue, you need a very good pc to multi table here

That said, I do honestly believe that reducing the low stakes rake charges would make the site a lot more attractive for beginners, and also increase the loyalty of the players that already use the site. I for one would be a lot less worried about entering big tournies if I thought I could easily rebuild my roll on the low stakes dym games, there are a lot of players that won't play low stakes cash because it's too loony, so they only have low stakes tournies to build a roll from.

I really can't see how Sky poker could possibly lose out by taking this step

If the low stakes rake was set at 9%, then sky could honestly advertise that this is the best site in the world for beginners--- Surely this would give them an edge in the market.

Sky needs more players, and more player loyalty, anything that might help to achieve this must be worth a try

innit?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to idea to get players to stay with sky poker:
    It seems to me that a lot of players start with a small bankroll and try to build it up enough to go up the stakes Sky make more profit from higher stakes players and bigger tournies It is in Sky's interests to have players with a half decent bankroll Players that find it easy enough to build a bankroll, will stay on the site A large proportion of new players see double your money games as the best way to try and build a bankroll Sky charge 25p rake for a 2 quid dym, and 15p for the 1 quid game This state of affairs is IMO extremely bad for the site If the simple step was taken to significantly lower the rake at these levels, it is my belief that a lot more players would stay here and grow to become higher stakes players                     GOOD FOR SKY AND GOOD FOR EVERYONE---WHATCHA RECKON?
    Posted by oynutter
    I agree totally Nutter..my only thought is,... and l dont get many of those... ;).. , this is the only site I know that uses the good old british £... 99% of other use either dollars or euro's..there rake in mtt's and sng's are still 10%. but the players dont think its much because it's toy money to most, if you like, and they don't realise how much it is actually costing them because of exchange rates changing etc etc.
    I've played on a and tried a lot of the so called ''top poker sites''..and to be honest, (I tried this site 3 weeks ago and am making a nice little profit,touch wood), I would never play another site again. I am a total ''Sky poker'' convert and owuld recommend anyone looking for a site to play poker on to start here. The poker coaching/tutorials is the best around..and the community, forums, blogs, and people I've met so far are 2nd to none. I feel comfortable and welcomed as a player and member..who really needs more in a site in which to enjoy the game.. maybe sky poker need to advertise more on TV  and use actual members, from all grades to advertise the site..like they do on the sky poker channel..use that addy on sky one etc.none -the- less nutter you got my support..see you at the tables..Larry
  • edited May 2010
    nice post Larry-- Aye, and congrats on finding the best site on the net---As you say, nearly all of the other sites charge 10%, but sky charge 15% for the 1 quid dym, and 12.5% for the 2 quid game-- Therefore it is easier to build a roll on these other sites. I just think this issue should be addessed for the reasons above
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: idea to get players to stay with sky poker:
    Cheers Rich-- Thing is--I really think this site could be the best site on the net--- With the community, and with the tv coverage, and with lisa's barely coverage, this site should be growing fast-- But it isn't  If Sky reduced the low stakes rake to 9%, it could then advertise that it is the best site in the world for new players Something has to be done, surely this is worth a try I think players would be far less worried about entering bigger tournies if they thought they could easily rebuild thier bankroll Personally, I find it easier to build a roll on another site, then transfer the money to sky when I want to play here I was completely loyal to sky before, and would be again if it was as easy to build a roll here as it is elsewhere I don't even like the other site, but the low stakes rake is a lot lower, so it is much easier to build a roll there and transfer it to here when I want to play a tournie or two I really think that if this issue was addressed, then every single player would benefit and in turn so would sky Loyalty is far more profitable than passing trade-----innit !
    Posted by oynutter
    good post once again fluppin nutter!
  • edited May 2010
    "all threads and customer suggestions do deserve a response"------sky rich
  • edited May 2010
    i am fairly new to the site and to poker in general (2 months for both) and can only afford to play the micro stakes. obviously as a tyro i am having trouble keeping a bankroll, let alone building one!
    i agree totaly that reducing the rake at the lower levels would be a great idea, it would certainly encourage me to play more often.
    i love the site, the tv channel and presenters, and the great camaraderie within the poker playing community.
    people ask me. why i don't try some of the other sites and i answer truthfully that i wouldn't want to lose what sky poker gives me.
    so come on sky poker bosses, give us little people a break. even if it is a small one.
  • edited May 2010

hiya m8 i voted yes i think its a good idea also maybe do irishrovers suggestion as a trial period to see if it works N1   dtw
  • edited May 2010
    nutters idea is a good one! and we all love to play on sky..............it could be because we as players bump into each other on this forum,and this gives the whole site more of a community feel,ie knowing at least some of the guys and galls we play at the tables occasionally.but im being honest here i started online poker with sky thinking they are the big hitters and will offer a fair and good value service.this has not been my experience,almost every other site offer a better deal!we are afforded a right to reply in this forum but suggestions are largely ignored,and sky bods reply to the odd post to placate the poster or give them a ticking or whatever.this has only one result people like me wont spend with sky till they are competitive!nutter has his facts right on this one and it would be a shame for no one to act on it!so lets hope tikay and sky rich can do a bodie and doyle for us and get us an answer either way!by the way i wrote this post wearing nothing ony a pair of pink fluffy slippers i like how they feel on my toes floppin fluffy!!!
  • edited May 2010
    I really don't understand why the smaller games charge higher rake. A lot of new players are starting to learn the game here & in the long run surely it's better to keep them here rather than make them look elsewhere?

imo, it should be a maximum 10% rake/entrance fee (whatever you want to call it) on ALL SNG's & MTT's regardless of the buy in level.
  • edited May 2010
    I really don't understand why the smaller games charge higher rake. A lot of new players are starting to learn the game here & in the long run surely it's better to keep them here rather than make them look elsewhere? imo, it should be a maximum 10% rake/entrance fee (whatever you want to call it) on ALL SNG's & MTT's regardless of the buy in level.
    Posted by silentbob
    10 percent sound very good to me bob and i would spend more with sky if this happens!but monkeys are more likely to fly out of my b u t t    lol.sky need to think outside the corporate spreadsheet for this one and look at the bigger picture.............................................oh and what about the download? has anyone heard anything about its progresssssssss!
  • edited May 2010

very well done hunni for highlighting this subject.  The rakes for DYM is very expensive which is why i hardly ever play them. Sky suities, you need to listen..lower your rake charges or lose players who would otherwise play DYM.

THANKYOU FOR LISTENING
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for feedback peeps--- 10% seems to be standard accross the board, charging 15% for the 1 pound dym makes a big difference for beginners---Sky purports to be a site designed for beginners, so surely it should cater for them a bit better than this--innit!!

I think it would be a good idea to actually subsidise the rake on the 1 quid and 2 quid games and lower it to 5%--then sky would genuinely be the best site for beginners--word would quickly get around that this is the case-- players would love it--sky would benefit--everyone could afford to enter bigger tournies-- loyalty to the site would improve--new players would stay--and tell their friends--- Sky suits may be thinking they would lose money by doing this, but I honestly think that the opposite would be the case in the long term--- we need more numbers, and more loyalty for the site to reach it's potential--- I think this small step would make a big difference.
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for feedback peeps--- 10% seems to be standard accross the board, charging 15% for the 1 pound dym makes a big difference for beginners---Sky purports to be a site designed for beginners, so surely it should cater for them a bit better than this--innit!!  I think it would be a good idea to actually subsidise the rake on the 1 quid and 2 quid games and lower it to 5%--then sky would genuinely be the best site for beginners--word would quickly get around that this is the case-- players would love it--sky would benefit--everyone could afford to enter bigger tournies-- loyalty to the site would improve--new players would stay--and tell their friends--- Sky suits may be thinking they would lose money by doing this, but I honestly think that the opposite would be the case in the long term--- we need more numbers, and more loyalty for the site to reach it's potential--- I think this small step would make a big difference.
    Posted by oynutter
    hopefully after the weekend we will get some well deserved feedback!we is waiting sky!innit!
  • edited May 2010
    I had a mate that liked playing on here, but he gave up because he prefered 100+ player tournies, regularly at low stakes, and he wasnt getting that here, i agree that the traffic is low here, like for a £2 deepy at say 8:15 there are less than 30 runners regularly, why cant they get 100+ players in these, they are the best value for money on here, much better than the main 8pm tourneys.
  • edited May 2010
    hi loony--this is exactly why I made this thread, to try and get more people to stay on sky, theres are lots of reasons why they don't, and I think this rake non-sense is one of them---can't even get a response from the suits--what does that say?
  • edited May 2010
    well -- its been here for a week---looks like it's getting properly ignored to me come on sky suity type peepies-- A response would be appreciated-- sky bernie?
    Posted by oynutter
    ok its me again...... on a rant after watching my hubby come to sky poker , add about 25 quid to his account and then play a couple games, he came over here from the dark and frustrating side of joker stars.....ooops i mean Poker stars... ( reason behind title will become clear if you read on)...anyway Ex-poacher came here and started with 25 quid, and won a seat on a Bounty hunter game that was to be televised... his face was a glowing as the fun of the evening built up.... folk were popping of the table and ex-poachers head price was increasing.... to the stage of he made the spot just before the final table.... was that called " going out on/in the bubble?? Anyway, he went out with a dodgy and so predictable comment about eggs and how he was thrown out of teh pan!?!?!!?!?!?!? some irish dude presenter seems to think he was a man of eggs!?!?! PMSL..... anyway that was sorted out as ex-poacher started his own thread just after the game was done.....but back to the reason i am adding..... ex-poacher didnt stay on sky poker for long, despite winning a fair few quid, and not spending much at all...... his bank roll was at about 300-400 quid but then it went very quickly....... the price of games on sky were/are so high that when he wanted to play in a decent player level of game he was paying near on 55 quid max or 22 quid average..... just to win a few quid...
    OK I am struggling to word this right so the short version is.....
    he went BACK to poker stars!!!! NOT cos the game is better NOT cos it is a different class of player BUT cos the price of games are a LOT less.... yes a WHOLE lot less that here... he has sat next to me on a sat eve and registered for a $1 game and won $300 in that ONE game!!! and then there is the amount of table he plays at any one time....on poker stars he laces up on avg about 8-10 tables at one time....but for some reason on here that seems to be an issue.... slows down and shows him as away etc....so annoying to watch at times..... 
    BUT IF sky were to DE-crease the amount of buy in money and looked at a whole new style of making cash I THINK it would benefot BOTH sky and the customers alike.
    I know I would play on small tables for a few mins if it meant chance of winning a quid or two.... BUT when you play a 35p game for 2 hours to win a poxy £1.24 then thats SILLY......

so why is poker stars called joker stars ......well it also has issues, such as ex-poacher sits holding AA and raises or All in's....but some fool with 6 2 ( example only) calls him.... you would think the law of averages would let ex-poacher win that hand....but nooooooooo the due with 6 2 gets a drop of 66 2 9 4   so AA lost .....but this happens when he has QQ   QJ AJ AQ AK A 10  10 j and so on ......always seems that the player with the poorer hand gets his cards on the flop/river etc.... so yes it IS A JOKE!!!! but can be so frustrating especialy when he been in a game for 6 hours..... yep  6 blooming hours!!!! and goes out one before cashing big......only gets a poxy 20 quid back......but it also has its GREAT points as said earlier,  a 25 cent game and he walks away with a few hundred dollar....
    So I KNOW YOU WILL ALL be saying " THATS POKER" but is it?? shud a dude with 6 2 be calling anyway or even going all in before ANY flop etc?? I THINK NOT!!!! LOL I know i dont know much about poker and I am STILL new to the game, but ex-poacher has tought me enough to know that 6 2 is a FOLD!!! LOL not an all in fgs....

So back to your point Nuter my friend...... YES sky SHOULD lower there costs and increase the amount allowed to be won.... More small prced games will attract a lot  more players to the tables....foe e.g if your at home and low on cash, but have a few pence/pound onyour account are youmore likely to play a lot of 5 and 10 pence tornys and chance it to win a couple more quid, oppose to play a 35 p game and win £1.24 ONLY for 1st and 48p for 2 etc etc.... ( NO coments on exact costs ere im just talking as example!!) lol

oooh eck....been typing for to long now I was MEANT to be revising for an exam......... CAN I SUE SKY POKER IF I FAIL MY DEGREE????lol

all the best to you nutter....and to the suits of this joint.......come and show this dude the respect he deserves and give him a reply at least on the cost of the show you run here.....

THANK YOU nutter for another good post!!!

Debbie 
  • edited May 2010
    ok i BEST get some revision done I will be sure to pop back in a bit to see what has been added/said on this topic.....

have a good day

debbie
  • edited May 2010
    Hiya Nutter,
    any sight or sounds from the suits yet?

we need better prices for games, better return for money and better,......well....just better chances of winning, THATS ALL I ASK...not that much       is it??????

Well poker stars festival of spring championships are over, so time i got my other half back to sky poker me thinks and let him loose on these tables again........ like a coiled spring when he comes away from joker stars,...ooops i mean Poker stars, he seems to convert his bad luck from there into some form of great luck on here, BUT still has that HORRID obstacle of cash back staring him in the face.

Why do some sights pay more out than others?

Why do some sights have more players than others?

why do some sites give a whole lot better return rates than others?

why CANT i bloomin well spell site right in each line????  LMAO

Ok time for last minute revision for me....... then day away from it all tomorrow before big day arrives,..... MAYBE i will win a million dollar free roll so i wont have to continue my degree? OR maybe i will win £1.24 from sky poker and be able to but the stamp to apply for my Masters degree instead?? 

IMO the powers that be should take note of whats what out there and realise its US the CUSTOMERS that are holding their wage packets in our hands,......no custom ....no job vacancy to fill....... no job vacancy ....no sky poker full stop.! so as you RIGHTLY say Nutter.....floppin eck....get something done about this disaster ASAP!!

Happy days to you all

Debbie
  • edited May 2010
    56 voters that all thoroughly deserve to be ignored--- thats good innit !!
  • edited May 2010
    Would've been nice to get some sort of feedback even if it wasn't what people wanted to hear.

• edited May 2010
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all your posts on this subject and we do understand your argument.

This subject has been covered before and a few replies have been left by the team - apologies they haven't been left on this actual thread.

Rake is how we maintain our business and the current levels of rake fit with our current business model.

Rake is something we could change at anytime and there is no reason why in the future, if our circumstances change, so may our rake.

Thanks again for all your posts guys,

all the best,

Rich

• edited May 2010
    Hey guys, Thanks for all your posts on this subject and we do understand your argument. This subject has been covered before and a few replies have been left by the team - apologies they haven't been left on this actual thread. Rake is how we maintain our business and the current levels of rake fit with our current business model. Rake is something we could change at anytime and there is no reason why in the future, if our circumstances change, so may our rake. Thanks again for all your posts guys, all the best, Rich
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    hi Rich-- What people are suggesting on this thread is that,--   one way to change your circumstances is to stop charging more than any other site on the internet for low stakes dym games, we are suggesting that this would bring more player loyalty and in turn, more players--- this is what the site needs--- perhaps you could look at changing your "current buisness model" and cater a bit better for small stakes players and beginners, so that they will be able to say that this is the best site for beginners. The current buisness model, in our opinion, is flawed in this respect, and charging more than any other site for these games, is bad for sky poker as a whole.

Perhaps we are wrong on this Rich, but it would be nice if one of the suits could come on here and explain sky pokers thinking on the subject, because, personally, I believe it would make good buisness sense to try reducing this rake, at least in line with other sites, so that no players feel the need to build a bankroll on another site, because of the small stakes rake charges here

It is my opinion that sky are leaking players because of this, and losing player loyalty, because every other site caters much better for small stakes players-- innit.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: idea to get players to stay with sky poker : hi Rich-- What people are suggesting on this thread is that,--   one way to change your circumstances is to stop charging more than any other site on the internet for low stakes dym games, we are suggesting that this would bring more player loyalty and in turn, more players--- this is what the site needs--- perhaps you could look at changing your "current buisness model" and cater a bit better for small stakes players and beginners, so that they will be able to say that this is the best site for beginners. The current buisness model, in our opinion, is flawed in this respect, and charging more than any other site for these games, is bad for sky poker as a whole.   Perhaps we are wrong on this Rich, but it would be nice if one of the suits could come on here and explain sky pokers thinking on the subject, because, personally, I believe it would make good buisness sense to try reducing this rake, at least in line with other sites, so that no players feel the need to build a bankroll on another site, because of the small stakes rake charges here   It is my opinion that sky are leaking players because of this, and losing player loyalty, because every other site caters much better for small stakes players-- innit.
    Posted by oynutter

It is my opinion that sky are leaking players because of this, and losing player loyalty, because every other site caters much better for small stakes players-- innit.  VERY WELL PUT!!! I agree.... and have the proof of this comment sat next to me on A different site....ok still might be loosing BUT gets a LOT more games for his money though.....and when he does win it a LOT bigger return than he gets on SP, unless he is here playing a BH game, that seems the only time hecan get a decent pay out compared to the buy in cost.

sorry for the essay nutter....but i kinda got on a rant earlier in this thread LOL

Happy days

debbie

• edited May 2010
    booooo hhoooooo--we can't stop charging 15% rake for a one pound game because it dosn't fit in with our "current buisness model---boo hooo--how can we stop charging more than any other site on the net if it dosn't fit in with our "current business model"--durrrrr

Jeeeezzzuusss--- we must have all been absolutely flopwit crazy, thinking that sky poker could possibly do something that dosn't fit in with their "current business model"----what a bunch of flopwit dingdongs we really are!!

INNIT!
  • edited May 2010
    How this flopwit stupid idea got more votes than any other poll that has ever been posted in community suggestions is completely beyond my feeble comprehension.
  • edited May 2010
    booooo hhoooooo--we can't stop charging 15% rake for a one pound game because it dosn't fit in with our "current buisness model---boo hooo--how can we stop charging more than any other site on the net if it dosn't fit in with our "current business model"--durrrrr  Jeeeezzzuusss--- we must have all been absolutely flopwit crazy, thinking that sky poker could possibly do something that dosn't fit in with their "current business model"----what a bunch of flopwit dingdongs we really are!!                                                            INNIT!
    Posted by oynutter
    A translation of that corporate trash is that they cant afford to reduce the rake or the site will go bust...???

This is complete rubbish methinks and i am 100% behind you nutter. (this is the first time i have seen this thread!)

It seems VERY UNFAIR indeed for the micro stakes players to be penalised. Lets look at it another way.... Why do dyms above £5 have only a 10% rake...answer= If they increased these higher games to 15% everyone would leave..

So, Mr sky is saying lets continue to penalise the micro stakes players. Thats some "business model" and so unlike the Sky Poker philosophy that i am used to. i understood that Sky was fair to all players and encouraged beginners and recreational players that want to play the micro stakes.. Well having read this, maybe i am mistaken...

Good luck in your quest nutter.

Hoggers
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks your support greg, as you say, this rake is unfair on beginners and recreational players. Can it possibly make good business sense to penalise beginners in this way?--- personally, I think not, in fact, I believe it makes sense to actually subsidise the rake at these levels--- Player loyalty and numbers are built on beginners that stay, and beginners stay because they get a good deal, and are able to build a big enough bankroll to go up the stakes.

A large proportion of beginners cannot handle themselves on cash tables, and see dym games as the best way to start, sky should not treat them unfairly, they are the future---innit.
  • edited May 2010

"current business model"

Am I glad I don't have to work where people spout that sort of up everyone else's backside, can I lick your boots please sir, sort of c rap anymore.

Almost makes me want to sit down and work out how many 60p sngs go through the site on an average day and then work out the figure Sky would "lose" on a daily basis if they reduced this "penalise the rookie rake" in line with Nutter's outrageous suggestion for attracting & more importantly holding on to new players.

I suppose one way of looking at it is that this "current business model" is on extremely dodgy ground if it can't absorb this adjustment which may (or may not) result in a loss of revenue.

One thing's for sure the suits will never find out unless they give it a trial......."Fill Your Boots World Cup Bonanza" for example ...... half price DYMs up to a certain level for the duration of the competition.

• edited May 2010
    Thanks your support greg, as you say, this rake is unfair on beginners and recreational players. Can it possibly make good business sense to penalise beginners in this way?--- personally, I think not, in fact, I believe it makes sense to actually subsidise the rake at these levels--- Player loyalty and numbers are built on beginners that stay, and beginners stay because they get a good deal, and are able to build a big enough bankroll to go up the stakes.  A large proportion of beginners cannot handle themselves on cash tables, and see dym games as the best way to start, sky should not treat them unfairly, they are the future---innit.
    Posted by oynutter
    imo, no, but i dont run a uk poker site

i never normally criticize sky, cos in so many aspects they get it spot on!

However, in this instance i think there is room for improvement. the rake is too high for the micro stake players. its not fair... simples