You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A Proper Poker League.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I know why it got no response--- Because sky wish to continue charging 15% rake for a 1 pound dym game--- which in my, and the vast majority of low stakes players opinion, is a rip off!!

I consider it a rip off---so I called it a rip off---so the suits ignored the whole thread--simples!

And I was'nt the first, or the only one to do so on the thread.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League.:
    I know why it got no response--- Because sky wish to continue charging 15% rake for a 1 pound dym game--- which in my, and the vast majority of low stakes players opinion, is a rip off!! I consider it a rip off---so I called it a rip off---so the suits ignored the whole thread--simples! And I was'nt the first, or the only one to do so on the thread.
    Posted by oynutter
    I can only do as I did - which was take the time & trouble to write to you at length & explain how best, in my personal opinion, one would go about getting a response.

If I were King for a day......I'd help ANYONE. Except if they shouted & hollered at me, & suggested I was "ripping them off".

I have a method I use when I want something. I put my arms - metaphorically - round my oppo, & walk in his direction for a little way. Then, ever so gently-wently, & using a modicum of cooey-wooey, I turn him round, so that before he knows it, he is facing in the direction I want him to. Job done. A little psychology goes a long way in this life. It's how the world works, always has been, always will do.

But each to their own, & if you think your approach works better than mine, good luck with that. Personally, I like to win my battles, needs must as the devil drives, eh?
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : Morning efg. I think that's a little unfair, if I may say so - though perhaps I would say that - but you are jumping to conclusions which are incorrect. The Suits do NOT monitor the Forums as such, but they do respond if the issue is raised directly with Customer Care, or with them directly. Had I seen the Thread, I would certainly have done so, & bought it to their attention. I'm afraid that due to time-constraints, I rarely see anything which is not on "General Poker Chat" board. I will send it to them today. It is right & proper, in my personal view, that those who spend most get the biggest rewards - it is a business, after all, & the bigger Clients need looking after, as they would in ANY business, but not at the expense of the regular guys. Findng the "right balance" which pleases everyone is never easy. But I agree, a League which is fair to ALL players at ALL Levels would be attractive to many.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tikay.

Maybe i was a little grumpy with my last post.
    I have to admit Sky have been great to me. I asked for a 50p heads up, and got it, i applied to be a home guest on the primo, and got it, so, all in all Sky do cater for the smaller stake players.

Alls i`m asking for is a league format, where everyone has the same chance of winning....

Thanks Tikay for your comments...:)
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not going begging to no-one--- I suggested that sky stop charging low stakes players more rake than all the other levels, for the sake of the site--- In an effort to get more players, and in turn, more profit for sky poker--- If they think it's a good idea to charge 15% rake for a one pound game--- flup the floppers!!---- I for one won't play my small stakes games here, and will continue to build my bankroll on another site, and advise other small stakes players to do the same, and vote with thier cash---full stop
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not going begging to no-one--- I suggested that sky stop charging low stakes players more rake than all the other levels, for the sake of the site --- In an effort to get more players, and in turn, more profit for sky poker--- If they think it's a good idea to charge 15% rake for a one pound game--- flup the floppers!!---- I for one won't play my small stakes games here, and will continue to build my bankroll on another site, and advise other small stakes players to do the same, and vote with thier cash---full stop
    Posted by oynutter
    I never - ever - suggested you should.

Anyway, I'm satisfied that I did all I could to assist, by spending a good deal of my own time writing to you privately to explain how, in my personal experience, to best achieve one's own ends. 
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : Hi Tikay. Maybe i was a little grumpy with my last post. I have to admit Sky have been great to me. I asked for a 50p heads up, and got it, i applied to be a home guest on the primo, and got it, so, all in all Sky do cater for the smaller stake players. Alls i`m asking for is a league format, where everyone has the same chance of winning.... Thanks Tikay for your comments...:)
    Posted by efgloser
    No worries bud. I don't respond to such Posts, (the one to which you refer) & nor, do I imagine, the Suits.

They, & I, prefer to work constructively with guys such as yourself to offer a balanced package which seeks to do a very difficult thing - please everybody!

I think your point in your original Post was actually extremely interesting, & made some good points, some of which were intriguingly thought-provoking, & so I have now sent it upstairs to get some dialogue going about it. If & when they feed back to me, I will Post accordingly. Please be a little patient here - it might take a little time to come up with the right answer on this. A lot of different people, in different departments, would need to be consulted, and it's best in these things to think it through with care rather than haste.

Thank you for your other kind comments, they really are much apreciated. Working together, it's amazing what we can achieve. 
  • edited June 2010
    As i said-- I was not trying to achieve my "own ends"--- I was suggesting an idea that might help sky achieve more player loyalty, and higher player numbers--- for the sake of sky poker, and it's players--- most beginners start on low stakes games-- I have not found another site that charges 15% rake on a one pound game--- so I suggested this should be addressed
  • edited June 2010
    For all those against the current league format........Please place ones head against item below and repeat endlessly. Thank you. ONLY THE HIGH STAKES CASH PLAYERS HAVE A VOICE WHICH IS LISTENED TO ON HERE IMHO!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Wow alan, that is a bold statement m8, I totally disagree with it and hope you made that comment in the spur of the moment without thinking!! Obviously everyone wants more from Sky but at the end of the day they make decisions that are sound and sensible that will benefit us all in the long term - I for one would not like to do their job because it is impossible to keep everyone happy. A bit off point with the league but look at it like this they have laid on great tournament structures recently with the dan deepstack and the League tournaments which can be hefty investment for many who are unable to satellite in but then sky lay on the Take on Tikay mtt every friday - a great tournament which sky have laid on for an affordable price. People wanted better mtt's and sky listened and are catering for them, they can not resolve every issue at a drop of a hat but given time they will try to change things for the good of the site and it's players. I truely believe that sky listen to their customers as a whole and not just the High Stakes players and as stated previously they will not satisfy everyone but that is the same within every business.
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010

i used to play on here every single day and play lots now i dont

sky do seem to have there faverates on here and others dont seem to matter as i stated in last post on here 2 main names complane about how the league is and its changed within a day ive put many many posts up about a big problem with it get many of people agree and say they feel it unfair and want to see it change and nothing comes back from it ? hows that 1 work ..... i know sky rich and tikay try there best but somtimes there best is not good enough and maybe some1 in a higher position should stand up and have a word

remember theres more lower stacks than there are bigger out there
  • edited June 2010
     i used to play on here every single day and play lots now i dont  sky do seem to have there faverates on here and others dont seem to matter as i stated in last post on here 2 main names complane about how the league is and its changed within a day ive put many many posts up about a big problem with it get many of people agree and say they feel it unfair and want to see it change and nothing comes back from it ? hows that 1 work ..... i know sky rich and tikay try there best but somtimes there best is not good enough and maybe some1 in a higher position should stand up and have a word remember theres more lower stacks than there are bigger out there
    Posted by ckd
    I of all people do not need reminding of that, & as most players already know, I "do my bit" for the "regular guys" in poker here & elsewhere, & have done so for many years now.

As I explained earlier this afternoon, there are a number of reasons why the thread never got a response, & subsequently, I have tried to remedy that by taking the actions I described.
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010
     i never said you didnt 'do your bit' on here and elsewhere the point is why are you giving the responces and not sky..... as you said all you can do is pass it on.... there is a section on here community serjustions.... who moniters that as i and many have made surjestion there and had nothing from those who can make any disisions just a message saying its been passed on ..... no follow up which is pointless if asking for suggestions and then not bothering to anwser you
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : Morning efg. I think that's a little unfair, if I may say so - though perhaps I would say that - but you are jumping to conclusions which are incorrect. The Suits do NOT monitor the Forums as such, but they do respond if the issue is raised directly with Customer Care, or with them directly. Had I seen the Thread, I would certainly have done so, & bought it to their attention. I'm afraid that due to time-constraints, I rarely see anything which is not on "General Poker Chat" board. I will send it to them today. It is right & proper, in my personal view, that those who spend most get the biggest rewards - it is a business, after all, & the bigger Clients need looking after, as they would in ANY business, but not at the expense of the regular guys. Findng the "right balance" which pleases everyone is never easy. But I agree, a League which is fair to ALL players at ALL Levels would be attractive to many.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    totaly agree but thats what cash for points is for ....... shouldent a poker leauge be about rewarding good players thought not people who spend more.....
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : totaly agree but thats what cash for points....... shouldent a poker leauge be about rewarding good players thought not people who spend more.....
    Posted by ckd
    This.

cash tables 24/7 on here with the larger BR players amassing hundreds of points towards a league system which rewards them for doing so. What choice have the MTT or STT players got at 2/3 am on here?
    Yes, these players will pay rake but like CKD has stated, the cash for points system will reward them amicably.
    How many or what percentage of players who play MTT/STT realistically achieve more than a 1000 points per month?
    If Sky think this system is justified, so be it. My earlier point (which has been jumped on by a couple of people on this thread like 'sheep') was that bigger BR cash players do spend hundreds and hundreds on here and if 'they' require or request something, Sky respond by saying 'how high would you like us to jump for you?' whereas other players get a response of 'yes, we will look at that and get back to you in due course, maybe.
    FACT - I posted on another thread with which I personally thought (and others agreed) were some good tournament suggestion ideas but did not get a reply.......where others did.

I shall get of my soap box for a while but I must say that all my working life I have campaigned for the underdog. I am a manager myself and always listen to everyone's point of view regardless of who or what they do.
  • edited June 2010
     i never said you didnt 'do your bit' on here and elsewhere the point is why are you giving the responces and not sky..... as you said all you can do is pass it on.... there is a section on here community serjustions.... who moniters that as i and many have made surjestion there and had nothing from those who can make any disisions just a message saying its been passed on ..... no follow up which is pointless if asking for suggestions and then not bothering to anwser you
    Posted by ckd
    I agree with your final sentence 100% - no excuses, no caveats, unless of course the Post in question were rude or offensive (& I'm not suggesting for a moment they were), but personally, I try not to respond to such Posts.

As to "why me, not Sky", that's a little awkward to reply to right now - please watch out for a Blog in the next day or two which will answer that to your entire satisfaction, I'm quite sure.

TIA of your understanding.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : This. cash tables 24/7 on here with the larger BR players amassing hundreds of points towards a league system which rewards them for doing so. What choice have the MTT or STT players got at 2/3 am on here? Yes, these players will pay rake but like CKD has stated, the cash for points system will reward them amicably. How many or what percentage of players who play MTT/STT realistically achieve more than a 1000 points per month? If Sky think this system is justified, so be it. My earlier point (which has been jumped on by a couple of people on this thread like 'sheep') was that bigger BR cash players do spend hundreds and hundreds on here and if 'they' require or request something, Sky respond by saying 'how high would you like us to jump for you?' whereas other players get a response of 'yes, we will look at that and get back to you in due course, maybe. FACT - I posted on another thread with which I personally thought (and others agreed) were some good tournament suggestion ideas but did not get a reply.......where others did. I shall get of my soap box for a while but I must say that all my working life I have campaigned for the underdog. I am a manager myself and always listen to everyone's point of view regardless of who or what they do.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    And you think I have not?

The suggestion was not seen, it has been seen now, today, by me, & I immediately sent it upstairs. I can't do or say more than that.

It may be better if we get back on track & agree what League Format best suits all, because several different suggestions have been made.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : totaly agree but thats what cash for points is for ....... shouldent a poker leauge be about rewarding good players thought not people who spend more.....
    Posted by ckd
    Yes, as I already said, the suggestion is useful & has now been sent for perusal & discussion.

I'm sorry the Thread was not spotted earlier, but I'm not sure what progress we are making by continuing to debate that - let's try & constructively agree what league Format would best suit most.
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010

ill keep an eye out for that mate

max im not really sure about mtt as i dont play much but stt i was getting about 3 to 4 k cash for points which im fine with its the fact they put poker points on russian roulette games..... you can play about 100 of these in the time it takes to play a dym game....there is no skill in it so why give points to win a poker league....some will play 1000s of these to win the league.... i know every 1 has the samer chance but its not right.... basicly saying if you want to finish in the top 5 you have to play them
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : This. cash tables 24/7 on here with the larger BR players amassing hundreds of points towards a league system which rewards them for doing so. What choice have the MTT or STT players got at 2/3 am on here? Yes, these players will pay rake but like CKD has stated, the cash for points system will reward them amicably. How many or what percentage of players who play MTT/STT realistically achieve more than a 1000 points per month? If Sky think this system is justified, so be it. My earlier point (which has been jumped on by a couple of people on this thread like 'sheep') was that bigger BR cash players do spend hundreds and hundreds on here and if 'they' require or request something, Sky respond by saying 'how high would you like us to jump for you?' whereas other players get a response of 'yes, we will look at that and get back to you in due course, maybe. FACT - I posted on another thread with which I personally thought (and others agreed) were some good tournament suggestion ideas but did not get a reply.......where others did. I shall get of my soap box for a while but I must say that all my working life I have campaigned for the underdog. I am a manager myself and always listen to everyone's point of view regardless of who or what they do.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    lol at sheep ;)

As you said you posted as others did some ideas, some of those ideas were implemented and we have some great tournaments now imo throught the dan deepstack league final and the Take on Tikay. As I said previously it is impossible for sky to incoporate everyones ideas 100% but they may mix a few and bring us better mtt's. You should not take offence that your ideas were not implemented and who knows they may still be in the future, who knows. I don't believe there is an underdog situation here m8 - I think we all want the same thing and that is better mtt's etc etc which sky are sorting out for all level of BR's.

As for a new league structure, I am sure tikay will let the suits know of this thread and they will act accordingly :)
  • edited June 2010
    There seems to be 2 areas which are somewhat mixed together. Cash for points (or similar) is a reward for large spend and rightly so. As Tikay says this is after all a business.

A poker league, to me, says something different. The amount spent does not necessarily equate to an indication of ability and success and as such a league based on spend alone is misleading. There are many lower stake players who have lots of ability but for whatever reason don't play at the higher stakes. I personally know of a player who isn't very proficient, but he happens to earn in excess of £600k a year and plays poker for high stakes. I get invited to play poker with him and a couple of his friends once or twice a year and reluctantly accept (It's a dirty job, but hey I'm a convivial guy) and we play some friendly poker.

A league encompassing the whole site should have a means of equalising the variance in stakes, and reflect success and ability. I'm not sure how that could be achieved but I bet Mere does :o)
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : Yes, as I already said, the suggestion is useful & has now been sent for perusal & discussion. I'm sorry the Thread was not spotted earlier, but I'm not sure what progress we are making by continuing to debate that - let's try & constructively agree what league Format would best suit most.
    Posted by Tikay10
    ok
    cash for points im happy with i think it is spot on so im for staying as is
    points removed from russian roullette games and only have points for games that invole you playing

thats all i want to be looked at
  • edited June 2010
    There seems to be 2 areas which are somewhat mixed together. Cash for points (or similar) is a reward for large spend and rightly so. As Tikay says this is after all a business. A poker league, to me, says something different. The amount spent does not necessarily equate to an indication of ability and success and as such a league based on spend alone is misleading. There are many lower stake players who have lots of ability but for whatever reason don't play at the higher stakes. I personally know of a player who isn't very proficient, but he happens to earn in excess of £600k a year and plays poker for high stakes. I get invited to play poker with him and a couple of his friends once or twice a year and reluctantly accept (It's a dirty job, but hey I'm a convivial guy) and we play some friendly poker. A league encompassing the whole site should have a means of equalising the variance in stakes, and reflect success and ability. I'm not sure how that could be achieved but I bet Mere does :o)
    Posted by elsadog

THIS.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : ok cash for points im happy with i think it is spot on so im for staying as is points removed from russian roullette games and only have points for games that invole you playing thats all i want to be looked at
    Posted by ckd
    Perfectly explained, thank you.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure that the league is designed to encourage people to play more games and provide more rake for the site. This seems quite reasonable to me. The rewards for featuring at the top of the league are merely a pleasant bonus.

However, the following points should be noted:

1. There are already separate leagues for cash, MTT and STT points. So cash players are not being overly favoured compared to tournament players.

2. You may feel that it is unfair to award more points for the higher stake games but it is undeniably true that it is more difficult to win at higher stakes. If this were not so, we would all be playing at the highest stakes. Even allowing for this, I know of at least one player who has regularly featured towards the top of the league purely by multi-tabling 2p/4p games. So, it is already possible to feature by playing low stakes games and, if there were no weighting towards the higher stakes, the top of the table would be swamped by people playing 2p/4p. I, for one, would not like to see this. I do not make this point out of self-interest since most of the games that I play would come in the lower points band.
  • ckdckd
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure that the league is designed to encourage people to play more games and provide more rake for the site. This seems quite reasonable to me. The rewards for featuring at the top of the league are merely a pleasant bonus. However, the following points should be noted: 1. There are already separate leagues for cash, MTT and STT points. So cash players are not being overly favoured compared to tournament players. 2. You may feel that it is unfair to award more points for the higher stake games but it is undeniably true that it is more difficult to win at higher stakes. If this were not so, we would all be playing at the highest stakes. Even allowing for this, I know of at least one player who has regularly featured towards the top of the league purely by multi-tabling 2p/4p games. So, it is already possible to feature by playing low stakes games and, if there were no weighting towards the higher stakes, the top of the table would be swamped by people playing 2p/4p. I, for one, would not like to see this. I do not make this point out of self-interest since most of the games that I play would come in the lower points band.
    Posted by MereNovice
    dont know about cash and mtt points but the stt is fine throught the low to high levels
    under 1.10 is 4pts for 1st 3 for 2nd
    1.10-11 is 8pts for 1st 6 for 2nd
    11 over is 12pts 1st 9pts 2nd so there is not a huge difference this is good

but to me rake has nothing to do with the league... thats what cash for points is the rake.....a league to me is there to find people who have played well throught the time.... if the league is just rewarding those who spend the most its not a league
    i.e chelsea spent 100m this year man u only spent 95m chelsea win the league is there a point in playing the games ? ........ it would be nice to have a new league added where all have an equal chance

make a league over 6mouths
    you can play 3 games a week max but games run 3 a day
    £1 entry per game 1pt per place so if you finish last you get 1 pt then at the end of the time its split up into the prizes... this is no cost to sky and every 1 would have a fair and even chance of being at the top

run this with what sky have and then every1 will be happy as theres somthing for every1
  • edited June 2010
    like i said earlier the only true test of skill level has to be played over the same amount of games. every other sport/ game runs a league the same way. it aint hard. defferent leagues for different amount of money spent. BUT the same amount of games. how hard can it be to set up!!!
  • edited June 2010
    like i said earlier the only true test of skill level has to be played over the same amount of games. every other sport/ game runs a league the same way. it aint hard. defferent leagues for different amount of money spent. BUT the same amount of games. how hard can it be to set up!!!
    Posted by pod1

There is nothing to stop people setting up leagues themselves on this basis.
    Bornablade has already set up his "DS Challenge League" which seems to be well supported, for example.

However, I think that it is unreasonable to expect Sky Poker to run leagues to cater for every taste. It just doesn't strike me as being feasible.

• edited June 2010
    Well, I'm glad that we've returned to the original premise of this thread! I was beginning to think I had made a mistake in highlighting it!!!

As I said previously, I don't think a league should be so closely linked to money, although I do appreciate that completely leveling the whole structure may not have the desired effect!

Unfortunately, getting the right balance may prove a little difficult! If you put on specialised "league" games, and make them affordable to all, it would not be much of an attraction to even the medium stakes players and definitely not those in the high stakes games!

An alternative may be to to highlight certain regular MTTs & STTs at all buy in levels as being "league" games. They would have to be properly structured and available thoughout the day and night. Let's say one an hour (at each buy in level) for MTTs with each one starting at the same time and players only able to register for one of the games (although that might give the IT boys a headache! lol). "League" STTs would have to be constantly available but again they should be properly structured and I would suggest that they do NOT include DYMs or Russion Roulette. The reason for removing the DYMs is because most people tend to just go all in once they make the money and are not really interested in the points!

As for cash? "League" tables? I don't think so! Probably best to just leave it as it is!

Just throwing in some ideas! Shoot them all down, by all means but also see what you can come up with! ;)

Cheers, Chris
  • edited June 2010
     At last we get some sort of response from sky, although no solution as yet. After reading all the posts and responses it seems quite clear another structured league is required, but in what format???

There have been some excellent points and ideas raised, i just hope sky are able to implement them for a better structured and fairer league.

The present format, in my opinion, favours the high stake players. Anyway guys as my voice is never heard or responded to (only when it maybe slightly on the edge) i leave it to you to hopefully get it sorted.

"A poker league, to me, says something different. The amount spent does not necessarily equate to an indication of ability and success and as such a league based on spend alone is misleading. There are many lower stake players who have lots of ability but for whatever reason don't play at the higher stakes."

elsadog makes a very good point.

Oh yes!! Tikay thank you for at least responding in some way to the posts and hope they now get to the right people.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : ok cash for points im happy with i think it is spot on so im for staying as is points removed from russian roullette games and only have points for games that invole you playing thats all i want to be looked at
    Posted by ckd
    1 look at this months league people proves ckd's point(sorry i dont know what your actual name is!)

Its outrageous the amount of stt points the top few have already this month!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: A Proper Poker League. : No worries bud. I don't respond to such Posts, (the one to which you refer) & nor, do I imagine, the Suits. They, & I, prefer to work constructively with guys such as yourself to offer a balanced package which seeks to do a very difficult thing - please everybody! I think your point in your original Post was actually extremely interesting, & made some good points, some of which were intriguingly thought-provoking, & so I have now sent it upstairs to get some dialogue going about it. If & when they feed back to me, I will Post accordingly. Please be a little patient here - it might take a little time to come up with the right answer on this. A lot of different people, in different departments, would need to be consulted, and it's best in these things to think it through with care rather than haste. Thank you for your other kind comments, they really are much apreciated. Working together, it's amazing what we can achieve
    Posted by Tikay10

Agreed. :)