You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Online Poker Numbers Declining?

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat

I have noticed the last few months that the numbers of players playing online seems to have declined. Further evidence of this seems to be the fall in the amounts offered in guaranteed tournaments Primo for example. I tend to play mainly on the another (moderator edit) network and this appears to have been hit more than most I thought the World Cup may be partly to blame but there seems to have been no increase in amounts offered.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this or does anybody know whats happened to all these players?

Apologies if this has already been covered as this is my first post!!!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    As well as the World Cup, seasonal factors come into play.
    The general concensus appears to be that the numbers will pick up when summer is over.
    ipoker has its own particular issues at present so may be impacted more than some other sites/networks.
  • edited July 2010
    didnt the primo used to be skys flagship £50000 tourny a couple of years ago ,i think i saw it as low as £6000 last week .    it was disappointing to see ,but YES it does look like the poker boom is officially over and is now in decline ......sky is a small site and all the guarantees are way down on what they were a few years back ,plus the decline in live shows on 865 are very limited .....half the presenters and annalists have also disappeared ....myself i think sky poker is struggling to stay afloat ,it certainly looks that way ,and is worrying.....also i would like to add that since they changed the open too an earlier start ,numbers have fallen drastically ,even the sats for the open r only attracting 8 too 12 runners, whereas a few years back they were 80 90+ in them ,i think that was skys biggest gamble and it failed miserably ,lets all hope sky can turn it around b4 its too late for us all
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Online Poker Numbers Declining?:
    didnt the primo used to be skys flagship £50000 tourny a couple of years ago ,i think i saw it as low as £6000 last week .    it was disappointing to see ,but YES it does look like the poker boom is officially over and is now in decline ......sky is a small site and all the guarantees are way down on what they were a few years back ,plus the decline in live shows on 865 are very limited .....half the presenters and annalists have also disappeared ....myself i think sky poker is struggling to stay afloat ,it certainly looks that way ,and is worrying.....also i would like to add that since they changed the open too an earlier start ,numbers have fallen drastically ,even the sats for the open r only attracting 8 too 12 runners, whereas a few years back they were 80 90+ in them ,i think that was skys biggest gamble and it failed miserably ,lets all hope sky can turn it around b4 its too late for us all
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    Although the guarentee was 8k the week before, there was over 12k in the prize pool

The guarentees being dropped so much is absolutely ridiculous.

The first england game of the world cup, there was quite a big over-lay, a mis-judgement on skys part. Since then it seems they are petrified of it happening again, and over-compensating.

Theres absolutely no need for such ridic guarentees.

The argument of guarentees not mattering if the tourny is getting alot of runners, is nonsense too, as if having a guarentee in place makes 1 player enter who wouldn't normally, then it's done a worthwhile job.

Nobody wins in this situation, the players/clients lose out, so do sky.

Someone in the office needs to sort it out....quick.
  • edited July 2010
    I dis-agree most nights i have been on and been plenty of people on

Just the tournaments seem to have declined which i think is due to the gurantee, hopefully this isn't for too much longer but only sky knows. i can understand its going to be less busy during the summer but i dont think it should affect the tournaments as much as it does, see at most i'd say couple of hundred people go on holiday at the same time but still unlikely they all would have played the open or what not

FACT is if the gurantee's remain low then will kill the tournaments on this site imo, i can gurantee(no pun intended) at least 80% of people will look at the prize pool and gurantee before they sign up but at the momment its just silly. also we got too many rebuys!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Online Poker Numbers Declining? : Although the guarentee was 8k the week before, there was over 12k in the prize pool The guarentees being dropped so much is absolutely ridiculous. The first england game of the world cup, there was quite a big over-lay, a mis-judgement on skys part. Since then it seems they are petrified of it happening again, and over-compensating. Theres absolutely no need for such ridic guarentees. The argument of guarentees not mattering if the tourny is getting alot of runners, is nonsense too, as if having a guarentee in place makes 1 player enter who wouldn't normally, then it's done a worthwhile job. Nobody wins in this situation, the players/clients lose out, so do sky. Someone in the office needs to sort it out....quick.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You appear to have contradicted your own argument here.
    If the prize pool is over £12K then it is irrelevant if the guarantee is £8K, £10K or £12K.
    I assume that we are crediting poker players with enough intelligence to work out the size of the prize pool and hence to know that the guarantee is not important.

No players lose out whatever the size of the field once the guarantee is met. They pay the same rake whatever happens. If the prize pool is smaller then there are fewer players to beat. It is unreasonable to expect Sky Poker to provide an overlay - it makes no business sense.
  • edited July 2010

It is better for sky and for the clients, if the big tournaments get higher numbers, the prizes are bigger. There are meaningless pointless mtt's running through the day, which are really sit n gos disguised in the mtt lobby.

(£60 gtd, £11 buy in for example)

The main event, the more runners, the better.

If the PP is gt'd at £5k, and the number of runners equates to a prize pool of £10k, this can be used as a benchmark.

If the PP is then changed, and gt'd at 9k, do you think, on the same night, the number of runners will lead to a prize poolhigher or lower than 10k? - obviously higher.

I am not asking for an overlay, just a realistic guarentee to ensure that the maximum amount of runners for that night is achieved.

It makes absolute sense.

1 player put off by the lower (stoooopid) guarentee, is 1 player lost, therefore, in the case of the primo, £33 lost from the prize pool.
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    I think there used to be tournament that size every month, not each week as The Primo is now! I've seen the guarantee between £12-£15k every week up until maybe 6-8 weeks ago so it's still reaching that £50k if not more...just spread over four weeks not once a month! The reason it's been lowered to £6-£8k is for other circumstances - they anticipate decreased numbers during the summer months when people want to be outside not stuck on their laptops and especially this year because of the World Cup...Sky has to maintain it's business so it would be foolish to offer the same guarantees, leaving them massive overlay when the people registering are only contributing 50-75% of the prize pool! It's been mentioned numerous times in recent weeks that the tournament guarantees will start to head back to normal now there's more traffic on the site...
  • edited July 2010
    It is better for sky and for the clients, if the big tournaments get higher numbers, the prizes are bigger. There are meaningless pointless mtt's running through the day, which are really sit n gos disguised in the mtt lobby. (£60 gtd, £11 buy in for example) The main event, the more runners, the better. If the PP is gt'd at £5k, and the number of runners equates to a prize pool of £10k, this can be used as a benchmark. If the PP is then changed, and gt'd at 9k, do you think, on the same night, the number of runners will lead to a prize poolhigher or lower than 10k? - obviously higher. I am not asking for an overlay, just a realistic guarentee to ensure that the maximum amount of runners for that night is achieved. It makes absolute sense. 1 player put off by the lower (stoooopid) guarentee, is 1 player lost, therefore, in the case of the primo, £33 lost from the prize pool.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    There is nothing obvious about this at all.

• edited July 2010
    It is better for sky and for the clients, if the big tournaments get higher numbers, the prizes are bigger. There are meaningless pointless mtt's running through the day, which are really sit n gos disguised in the mtt lobby. (£60 gtd, £11 buy in for example) The main event, the more runners, the better. If the PP is gt'd at £5k, and the number of runners equates to a prize pool of £10k, this can be used as a benchmark. If the PP is then changed, and gt'd at 9k, do you think, on the same night, the number of runners will lead to a prize poolhigher or lower than 10k? - obviously higher. I am not asking for an overlay, just a realistic guarentee to ensure that the maximum amount of runners for that night is achieved. It makes absolute sense. 1 player put off by the lower (stoooopid) guarentee, is 1 player lost, therefore, in the case of the primo, £33 lost from the prize pool.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    And so does DOHHHH for a change ;-)

All these posts about lower guarentees obviously means it is affecting players decision on whether to play the MTT or not. One night recently I saw the main event guarentee was something like 2k!!?!?!? I think even Christmas day has more runners than 200. By putting a sensible guarentee will encourage more players to enter as it looks  like better value even though once the guarentee is met its the same.

make the guarentee 3.5 - 4k and I guarentee you will see an increase in numbers
  • edited July 2010

cant see how people can say that the  numbers are down  because its the summer and people go on holiday ,the world cup ,seasonal traffic and all that .............the primo will never be restored too £50000 gtd no matter what season it is ............and there is a lot less players on here now  than this time last year ,i remember sky bending over backwards and listening to the deepstack players ,too change the blind levels in the open ,since theyve done that the numbers are way down ,and most of the deepstack players dont even enter it ...........the early start has backfired ,too early for people who r working and want 2 sattelite in ........revert it back 2 the way it was ,9pm start is the only way

• edited July 2010
    On the subject of guarantees a balance has to be struck. most 'regulars' will always play the premier tournaments, but the guarantee attracts the casual player to enter. No site can afford to overlay tournaments too often, that is straightforward economic sense. However, the guarantee must be used for what it was intended - to attract high numbers of players to the site. An 8pm £11 mtt would not get anywhere near the same numbers as an identical mtt with an attractive guarantee.

All sites have at least one premier tournament each night with a guarantee. This brings in casual players and hopefully they stay on to play other games. I don't think the Open or Primo guarantees are the reason the numbers are down, just the opposite, the guarantees are down because the numbers are down in the first place. Dohhhhhhh's point is a good one and he's correct in saying that the guarantees affect the likely number of entrants. A 6k guarantee that has a pool of 12k would probably have had a pool well in excess of that figure had the guarantee been more realistic.

As far as the numbers of players on Sky it is down due to seasonal variances, which all sites suffer at this time. I think there are more problems than just that though and there certainly seems to have been an exodus of regulars over recent months. I have my own thoughts on that score but I'll keep them as just that, my own thoughts.
  • edited July 2010
    Bring back the main tournament, most cases the open to 9pm never did like the change
  • edited July 2010
    get some decent software for RANDOM cards and numbers will go up, all the talk is of bad rigged software on sky, everywhere i go same old thing i hear
  • edited July 2010
    no money in poker, everyones soild.
  • edited July 2010
    get some decent software for RANDOM cards and numbers will go up, all the talk is of bad rigged software on sky, everywhere i go same old thing i hear
    Posted by bullyfish
    That's rubbish.
    I suggest that you change the company that you keep if all you hear is such utter twaddle.
  • edited July 2010
    We are still in the middle of the worst financial recessession since the second world war. In my opinion Sky has taken some sensible and necessary steps to try and ensure it can continue to operate. I think it's pretty obvious that the nightly live show schedule and large pool of analysts and presenters was not going to be sustainable long term, but instead of sticking to it and going broke, they have retained a small core of excellent presenters/analysts, retained a couple of live MTT shows a week and Master Cash, and are introducing new formats like the Take-on-Tikay, and the PTP promotions all the time.

I can't comment as to whether or not the new schedule, which is more focussed on the website than the TV channel is sustainable long term, I can only hope that it is, because having played poker on a number of different sites,  the sense of community and fun here is light years ahead of any others....I don't play poker to earn a living - if I did, I may play elsewhere, I play it to have fun, and I wouldn't want to play anywhere else....   
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by bullyfish
    Twaddle - I have played poker on many different sites and live, and seen most scenarios...comments such as "typical sky" which often get posted when people get outdrawn just make me chuckle - half the time they are made when a 20% underdog wins a hand - 20% is 1 in 5 for goodness sake...hardly a miracle
  • edited July 2010
    yeah twaddle   i only see quads on sky once an hour yet in live play have seen them twice in 2 years   still you all know best   the truth is out there sky   it will be out sooooooon
  • edited July 2010
    They're all switching to bingo.

Bingo is the future, there are no suck outs and you get dancing foxes, poker will never be able compete with that. RIP poker.
  • edited July 2010
    yeah twaddle   i only see quads on sky once an hour yet in live play have seen them twice in 2 years   still you all know best   the truth is out there sky   it will be out sooooooon
    Posted by bullyfish
    And how many hands per hour do you play live in comparison to online?  Of course you are going to see hands more frequently when you play online as opposed to live.
  • edited July 2010
    They're all switching to bingo. Bingo is the future, there are no suck outs and you get dancing foxes, poker will never be able compete with that. RIP poker.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Totally agree BINGO is the new game in town :)
  • edited July 2010
    its because people are getting sick numpty playing being rewarded and do you see so many quads full boats and straight flushes on line, you dont get that live the odds are massive yet online they are far to frequent, a royal flush is like a hole in one in golf maybe 1-2 in a life time not the amount you get online
  • edited July 2010
    its because people are getting sick numpty playing being rewarded and do you see so many quads full boats and straight flushes on line, you dont get that live the odds are massive yet online they are far to frequent, a royal flush is like a hole in one in golf maybe 1-2 in a life time not the amount you get online
    Posted by Animul
    Rubbish.
  • edited July 2010
    oooo im gonna buy shoes and im ready for the weekend ooo
  • edited July 2010

Ive had loadsss of hole in ones on Tiger Woods on the PS2 (old schoooooooooooool)
  • edited July 2010
    Ive played golf and poker for over 40 years and I've had precisely one hole-in-one and one royal flush. Doesn't mean I'm the rule though.
  • edited July 2010
    Ive had 7 holes in 1 and never a royal flush
    So something must be wrong ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Ive had 7 holes in 1 and never a royal flush So something must be wrong ;)
    Posted by hawk7112
    I've had 7 Royals, but no hole in ones :-(
  • edited July 2010
    Ive had 7 holes in 1 and never a royal flush So something must be wrong ;)
    Posted by hawk7112
    Yeah it means your tight at poker and play a lot of pitch and put (joke).
  • edited July 2010
    ignore the rigged brigade

the main reason is play is massively improved overall and the fish no longer have even worse fish to at least win sometimes from

i have given up cash online to any serious degree and now play live 5 times a week a game that is similar to online was 3-4 years ago imo