You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playin for a living?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
ok this question was in my other thread, but dohhhhhhh suggests starting a new one. i wanna put it up in the clinic rather than general chat because the better players/advice is around here.

next year like ive said i plan to take 2/3 months off work and play nl50 2 tables and 1 nl100
table something like 8 hours say 6 days a week. what roll am i looking at having? im planning on something around 3/4k is this enough to cope with downswings? and is a realistic aim to be looking at making minimum about £500 a week?....

say i have a good couple of months and i achieve that, 3 months is obviously not a good enough sample size, so what sample size should i be looking at? if i lose the money then oh well at least i can say ive tryed and failed and i aint lost nothing (except the money lol) but if all goes great and im constantly making a profit week in week out would it be too risky to jack in my job?

im aware this sounds quite dilusional but its something i really wanna try just to see if i can do it or not, if it all sounds like a stupid idea then plz speak up!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Hi Eagle i think a lot of the pros these days playing poker full time is because they are making more money off poker than they would by working a job and are also beating the game with ease. so if you can do that then happy days but i wouldn't decide to give my job up until i was making about 2k per week and knew i was good enough to beat the game consistently.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living?:
    Hi Eagle i think a lot of the pros these days playing poker full time is because they are making more money off poker than they would by working a job and are also beating the game with ease. so if you can do that then happy days but i wouldn't decide to give my job up until i was making about 2k per week and knew i was good enough to beat the game consistently.
    Posted by TopTopGun

Jeeeeeez where do u work????
  • edited July 2010
    i would need about 2k a week so i would have the saving incase i hit a bad run.
  • edited July 2010
    you would need to play more tables and have at least 200BIs behind you
  • edited July 2010

Win 1 buy in a day, at nl50, every day, and u r on 18-19k a year tax free.

Job done.
  • edited July 2010
    3tables? at 50 and 100nl, no chance, are you doing this at sky?
  • edited July 2010
    I think you should hold off. They say you need 1 years living expenses so i guess a good sample size would be a year. Im not sure if you will want to answer this but how much have you won so far/how much do you win a week?
  • edited July 2010

Financial advisors suggest you should have at least 3, hopefully 6 months of wages/outgoings in cash savings so that if you lose your job you have a buffer while you are looking for a new one. I would suggest you had this on top of your roll at least. The pressure on you would not be immediate then.

Don't know your job, but is it one you good do part-time for a bit to hedge your bets?

• edited July 2010

6month living expenses & 100bi's should be enough, id recomend 6 tabling a different site where you can get rakeback as that will add a significant amount to your monthly earnings, also one where you can track your hands using software will help you look at where your biggest leaks/mistakes are.

• edited July 2010
    6month living expenses & 100bi's should be enough, id recomend 6 tabling a different site where you can get rakeback as that will add a significant amount to your monthly earnings, also one where you can track your hands using software will help you look at where your biggest leaks/mistakes are.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    pretty much what I was going to say when he replied to my post.
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Is it better to play a tougher field and get RB or play the weaker field with pretty much no RB on Sky?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : Is it better to play a tougher field and get RB or play the weaker field with pretty much no RB on Sky?
    Posted by CLIOKID
    im assuming you are from the UK, which means there are plenty of fishy sites  for you to play on that offer huge RB deals, I get 56% were I play, which goes along way.

Any serious player who is going pro should have RB.
  • edited July 2010

i grind on another site playing micros and its easily possible because its so fishy.

1, you need a years living expenses as said above before you start so thats 20k min depending on lifestyle.

2, at minimum i would want a 10k roll to cover severe downswings. 10BI in 90mins is my current best.

3, if it goes belly up have you got another job/qualifications which you can fall back on.

4, you plan to play 48 hours a week on the tables! so including toilet/food/drink breaks you could be looking at a 60 hour week. (you will need alot of breaks from looking at the screen all the time).

5, I have a roll which is specific to cash only on another site. if i want/need a break ill play SnGs from time to time because it breaks it up but that is on a secondary roll along with a small amount set aside for live/online MTTs.

6, get lots of coffee and pills :)

and GL

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : Is it better to play a tougher field and get RB or play the weaker field with pretty much no RB on Sky?
    Posted by CLIOKID

Good question.  I wonder this myself a lot.

As for the OP, I would need to have a massive reason to go pro.  I would be playing at least 4 hours a day, while still holding down a fulltime job, for at least a year.  Then see how the figures add up.  My br would need to be a few hundred buyins, plus living expenses for a year.

Everyone has different circumstances though.  I have a moprtgage and 2 kids.  That responsibility is a world away from being early 20 something single and living with parents,

gl
  • edited July 2010
    tennispair are you a full timer?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : im assuming you are from the UK, which means there are plenty of fishy sites  for you to play on that offer huge RB deals, I get 56% were I play, which goes along way. Any serious player who is going pro should have RB.
    Posted by harvey23
    56% rake? were do you get that? or do you get that rake because your Harvey?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : 56% rake? were do you get that? or do you get that rake because your Harvey?
    Posted by N1CK
    shot you a pm
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: plying for a living? : shot you a pm
    Posted by harvey23
    im on ip im at a higher vip level and get nowere near that, iv sent you my email addy send me details or referral code
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : im on ip im at a higher vip level and get nowere near that, iv sent you my email addy send me details or referral code
    Posted by N1CK
    im off to bed now will hook you up in the morning. send you my details to add me on msn/skype.
  • edited July 2010

Just back from work! cheers for all replys!! ... some of the figures that are being thrown around here just aint possible ' a years living expenses, plus a 10k roll'...i just aint got that.

ok basically im in a rubbish job where ive been last 10 years but the money is quite good because i work nights, been playing poker for about a year and half now, ive never really taken the game that seriously but have been able in the past to build up rolls for nl50/100 (if ur usin 5% rule) from peanuts. a big problem for me in the past has been playing drunk, being a major tiltasauras and jumpin too high - skydiving before bungeejumping. i didnt really care because ive only played for fun and i dont get time to play seriously anyway. (although i believe ive got all that sorted now, well all except the playing drunk part)

in answer to a question i think blackfish asked - i dont really make money each week because i dont play much, in the year and half i have been playing i have made quite a tidy sum playing all different cash levels (anything from nl10 to nl200) and do ok in mtt's also. however after speaking to a couple of mates and a few ppl here on sky poker ive been convinced to try and have a real crack at it.

im aware my game is probably too aggro and im gonna need to cool that down and grind abit, alot of my game is tryin to read other players, pick up on weakness and try and hammer them down the streets in position (see my other threads ive put up in the past) i like to try and read players so that is why i say intend to play only 2/3 tables if im playing anymore surely im turning into a robot? and reads kind of go out the window and its pretty much just standard abc stuff? i dont think my laptop can cope with playing more than 3 tables anyway and too be honest im not really comfortable playing more than that. 2 is my preffered option.

couple of ppl have mentioned playing on other sites. ok no disrespect to any of you guys who play here but isnt skypoker suppost to be one of the softest and easiest sites to beat? surely its better to play a weaker field than a tougher field? ok the rakeback thing but how bout the cash for points sky offer? if im playing 8 hours a day 6 days a week im gonna be making some half decent wedge on that, no? (ive never really played on any other sites so dont really no much about what they offer)

too be honest after reading all the replys its kind of made me realise straight away im being dilusional and the odds of this actually happening aint great, from what i can gather ive got to be looking at having a much bigger bankroll than i previously suggested, ive got a few grand i can mess about with but didnt actually realise how much i should actually be looking at!

thanks for all the replys--really appreciate it, i fully intend to try and go through with this but perhaps gonna leave it a while until im more confident and more sufficiently rolled. cheers - Andy

also it would actually be cool maybe one sat/sun night if we could get a poker clinic table going some regs (doh, beaneh, lol raise, cowgomoo, harvey, clio, scotty, mahony etc) say we all play 2 tables together nl50 or something so i could actually test myself against some of you guys (ok ive played most of you at some point, but not for long sessions, and not a full table of good players) just an idea anyway.
  • edited July 2010
    "some of the figures that are being thrown around here just aint possible ' a years living expenses, plus a 10k roll'...i just aint got that."

If you 'aint' got it then you would be very foolish to do it. Quitting a full-time job with only 40-buy-ins and no living expenses would not be wise at all. Fact: even the best and most experienced poker players with the biggest edges go through losing streaks. You could find yourself, after a few months of breaking even or losing, with no money left, no job and no way to start a roll and make money again. You need a sufficient roll to ride through these streaks. 

"i dont think my laptop can cope with playing more than 3 tables anyway and too be honest im not really comfortable playing more than that. 2 is my preffered option."

You don't even have a desktop!?

"here but isn't skypoker suppost to be one of the softest and easiest sites to beat?"

Even if this is true how do you know it is going to stay that way? How do you know how the poker economy is going to change? How do you know how the ratio of tough players to bad players is going to change in the future i.e games get tougher?  What if SkyPoker closed down? What would you do then?

if im playing 8 hours a day 6 days a week

Just read that and actually imagine it. Sitting behind your laptop and thinking and clicking for 8 hours a day, everyday. It can become so monotonous, boring and stressful. Imagine playing 8 hours a day, 6 days a week and then breaking even - not making any profit.  
  • edited July 2010

These figures r krazzzzzy u aint married with 8 kids r u???

JUST 50 quid a day for a year = 18 grand. Some days ur gonna lose abit, ya, but, shouldnt be alot playing nl50 on sky, and other days ur gonna win 2 buy ins (£100) within an hour, and take the rest of the day off if u like.

Why over complicate it? - within 2 months, u cud do the 8 hours a day thing, and make a 12k easy. - Thats 8 months wages to some people (yeh not a gr8 wage, but its deffo a gr8 job)

I made £4k in a month, playing only every other day, at nl30.

The boring grind theory deffo gets put into perspective when u can get up at 1pm and order a chinese on your dinner break. You can then clock off after your tenth can of larger, and not have to worry about a lift home. - U can get bladdered on a work night, and not have to worry about having a hangover for work the next day - just f*k it off.

Happy days!

Too much easy money on sky in the lower mid stakes to have drastic downswings - u cud lose 5 buy ins in an hour AIPF with AA v KK - but if u play 3 tables from 11pm-5am, u will win 5 buy ins off clowns who think 2nd pair is the nuts for 100bbs.

The one worrying thing tho wud be BD's point about is sky always gonna be easy? I hope they never let people use those software programmes, but...even if they do, ull have access to it too, dnt worry bouttttttttt it.
  • edited July 2010
    How many hands/hr is the norm on sky?  60ish, I dunno.

If its around that, then playin 2 tables of nl50 per day ur playing what, say 1k hands per day.

If you wanna make £50 per day you need to be running at a consistant winrate of 10bb/100.  Which is good.  I dont know if I would like to grind 8hrs / day for 50 quid.

These figures could well be wrong so someone please correct me.
  • edited July 2010
    Dohhhhh you make it so appealing, my ideal job but not got the roll

Eagle i think thats a good idea we should have a poker clinic table going could be at various levels as we do get input at all levels in the clinic
  • edited July 2010
    I know some of the top cash and tournament players on PS FT and I was around when they started off 8 years ago. They were all young and relatively commitment free, and that's very important. The added pressure if you have a family to support is going to be a killer.

They were all very good tournament players who played cash occasionally. They bankrolled themselves through tournament wins and made the move over to cash gradually using their tournament wins to BR themselves. One or two (Moorman and Gregoir) of them remained mainly tournament players and do very well at it. Others ( Gee & Pab) moved predominantly over to cash but still play the bigger tournaments. These guys were very talented and have the ability to switch their game between cash and mtt. I think I'm right in saying they also finished off their Uni so they always have a fallback. During that period there were some guys who sold/mortgaged their houses to become pro poker players and they fell by the wayside some years ago. They weren't lesser players they were just under the hammer from the off.

The advice given regarding fallback money is very sound. My experience tells me that no matter how good you are at poker, if you load yourself with any factors where you have just GOT to win, the stress will negatively affect your game. To be successful is easier if it isn't crucial whether you win or not.
  • edited July 2010
    100 hands per table for normal 6 max i think mahony.
  • edited July 2010
    Poker is sheeeet, all that happens is you lose. Play snap for matchsticks instead imo.

If they do get the rng fixed here let me know pls so maybe i'll wins a pot. :D

Also just for an idea over the years i've seen graphs of good winning players with 200k hand break even stretches. 50 buyins below ev is possible, can you afford that? can you still play your same game? can you keep moving up/down as your br allows? can you keep your concentration for 8 hours a day? even when your running bad? also lol at everyone having laptops, sky is resource happy, I have a high end laptop goodd processor 4gb ram and 2-3 tables is my absolute max without it blowing up in my face and slowing right down and timing me out. On my desktop i've been able to get 20+ tables comfortably! For constant grinding a desktop is a must have (also I got repetitive strain injury when I ground 40k points in a month because too much of my spare time was also spent on the computer!).
  • edited July 2010
    These figures r krazzzzzy u aint married with 8 kids r u??? JUST 50 quid a day for a year = 18 grand. Some days ur gonna lose abit, ya, but, shouldnt be alot playing nl50 on sky, and other days ur gonna win 2 buy ins (£100) within an hour, and take the rest of the day off if u like. Why over complicate it? - within 2 months, u cud do the 8 hours a day thing, and make a 12k easy. - Thats 8 months wages to some people (yeh not a gr8 wage, but its deffo a gr8 job) I made £4k in a month, playing only every other day, at nl30. The boring grind theory deffo gets put into perspective when u can get up at 1pm and order a chinese on your dinner break. You can then clock off after your tenth can of larger, and not have to worry about a lift home. - U can get bladdered on a work night, and not have to worry about having a hangover for work the next day - just f*k it off. Happy days! Too much easy money on sky in the lower mid stakes to have drastic downswings - u cud lose 5 buy ins in an hour AIPF with AA v KK - but if u play 3 tables from 11pm-5am, u will win 5 buy ins off clowns who think 2nd pair is the nuts for 100bbs. The one worrying thing tho wud be BD's point about is sky always gonna be easy? I hope they never let people use those software programmes, but...even if they do, ull have access to it too, dnt worry bouttttttttt it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

This is poor thinking.

Poker is a skank.

You have AA vs KK you have 80% equity for 200bb pot. So you expect 160bb. But you get given either 0bb or 200bb. This boolean policy can really scre_w you over in the short and long term!

Everything evens out, IF you can get in those spots again and again and again (and have unlimited funds to keep trying!!).........

• edited July 2010

Works for me!

I left uni 1 year ago, with a grand and a 2.1 in PE and youth sport, ive lived off poker since, and have 5 figures  banked plus my account,(and £34.44 on bet365!!).

Edit - before I get lol'd at, obv Im making pennies compared to many, but only a year into playing seriously
    And I have no alarm in the morning, unless it's the Jeremy Kyle music, give me that over a 9-5 job neday.

Also, I play nl30, 4-6 hours a day, some days up to 8, and its every other day! I also spew on average 5 buy ins a week in the last half hour of sessions, when had too many beers.

If someone with eagles talent took it even abit more seriously than I do, he cud eaily make 25k a year.

RESIGN !!
  • edited July 2010
    Works for me! I left uni 1 year ago, with a grand and a 2.1 in PE and youth sport, ive lived off poker since, and have 5 figures  banked plus my account,(and £34.44 on bet365!!). Edit - before I get lol'd at, obv Im making pennies compared to many, but only a year into playing seriously And I have no alarm in the morning, unless it's the Jeremy Kyle music, give me that over a 9-5 job neday. Also, I play nl30, 4-6 hours a day, some days up to 8, and its every other day! I also spew on average 5 buy ins a week in the last half hour of sessions, when had too many beers. If someone with eagles talent took it even abit more seriously than I do, he cud eaily make 25k a year. RESIGN !!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol your life is so you...