You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playin for a living?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    dohh you do realise you must have ran like a Golden Goose to make 4k at nl30 in a month, even on sky. 
  • edited July 2010

I was only 2 tabling, had no big tourny wins (£100 for 2nd in the velocity was the only one of note) (£5 Buy in)

I only played 15/16 days out of 30/31

And spewed buy ins drunk.

If ur gonna commit, that cud easily have been 10k.....

Or easily 4k, running average.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living?:
    I was only 2 tabling, had no big tourny wins (£100 for 2nd in the velocity was the only one of note) (£5 Buy in) I only played 15/16 days out of 30/31 And spewed buy ins drunk. If ur gonna commit, that cud easily have been 10k..... Or easily 4k, running average.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    your drunk again arnt you?
  • edited July 2010

loooooooooooooooooool

Do u think I am making it up?

• edited July 2010
    this is how hard it is

these are the top 3 money winners on ip playing nl50

1st  86,000 hands won 5,900
    2   165,000 hands won 5,500
    3   206,000 hands won 5400

in 50th  is 130,000 hands   won  2,400

im not sure how credible these stats are but they are supposedly based on this year so far
  • edited July 2010
    loooooooooooooooooool Do u think I am making it up?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    no i believe you went on a sick mega heater for a month but hows every other month gone in comparison?
  • edited July 2010
    I was only 2 tabling, had no big tourny wins (£100 for 2nd in the velocity was the only one of note) (£5 Buy in) I only played 15/16 days out of 30/31 And spewed buy ins drunk. If ur gonna commit, that cud easily have been 10k..... Or easily 4k, running average.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

[    ]   you're right

[    ]   you know what the bolded is
  • edited July 2010
    When you say you are taking 2/3 month off work. So I assume you will be able to go back to work. Playing poker sounds like a great job but I believe you would end up giving up a hobby which can be very enjoyable and rewarding, you would have to be making quite a bit more money than you do in work to make it worth your while. 2/3 months is not enough time to make this sort of decision.

I know I have been in the poistion where I have got home from work or had a day off and logged on and start playing poker because it is "what I do". I am not always playing my best game when I am doing this but you would be in a situation where you are almost obliged to do this.

Are you sure that you can live with playing and dropping 4 buyins (£200) in a day without doing anything wrong. Bad runs are made that much worse as it is not just money on the side but your living.  I guess this is why you need the 12 month living expenses as this would lessen the impact of this but I think it would still hurt more than when you know you have a monthly wage coming in.

If you are going to do it I would try and take two days off per week, maybe have one day playing luve or something. Thats just my opinion a different mindset might make you very successful.
  • edited July 2010
    lol @ beans post cant be bothered to quote
  • edited July 2010

depends on circumstances.  if you are young and living at home then go for it and see what happens.
    you will need to take quite a few risks if you are going to do it as in move up the limits as quickly as you can and learn to play more tables.

i really dont think it is realistic to make a living on 2 .25/.50 tables the grind would be horrible and the income wouldnt be enough to make it worthwhile.  if you move up quickly then its realistic to do it playing 4 tables of 1/2.

i would play more than one site and include an american site so you are guaranteed action everytime you want/need it.

the main thing will be discipline.  can you really play that many hours on sky? (think of the software and the level of play etc)

how much do you think you will make in a year?  what is the most you could win?  what is realistic? what would be below what you hoped for?

what happens if it goes wrong?
    do you have the discipline to quit if it doesnt go as you hoped?

• edited July 2010
    If I'm reading this correctly dohhhh believes he can make 120k a year playing 30nl? OK.
  • edited July 2010

randomly read this earlier.  this guy used to make a living playing poker.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/ron-fanelli-wanphen-pienjai-poker

• edited July 2010
    If I'm reading this correctly dohhhh believes he can make 120k a year playing 30nl? OK.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    hes a fish on a heater.
  • edited July 2010
    There is one seriously deluded person in this thread, and it isn't the creator....
  • edited July 2010
    There is one seriously deluded person in this thread, and it isn't the creator....
    Posted by ChirpyChip

is it you?!?
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by ChirpyChip

• edited July 2010
    What is it of dohh? I can't wait until tomorrow 
  • edited July 2010

Ive been a winning player for 5 years - im not a lucky fish.

Thats some heater.

My 1 and only downswing was a 700 in a month which cleared my account.

This happened on a friday night, drunk.

The following monday morning, I re-deposited £600, played nll 30, Monday, Wednesday, Friday (every other day) and when I woke up Saturday morning, I had £1,200 in my account.

Happy days

Edd-it - the pic wud have been better if I cud quote u BD - but there wasnt 1 there
  • edited July 2010
    Yes Bean .. it's me! I think I may actually win the BH!
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    And I didn't call you a lucky fish or say you aren't a winning player. 
  • edited July 2010

I can't reply individually my 30pence big blind is being relentlessly imped into!
  • edited July 2010
    Yes Bean .. it's me! I think I may actually win the BH!
    Posted by ChirpyChip

if i'm still in and see you i'll try and spite call to take you out :)
  • edited July 2010
    And I didn't call you a lucky fish or say you aren't a winning player. 
    Posted by BrownnDog

you'd prob be talking about yourself if you said those things BD :P
  • edited July 2010
    'my one and only downswing'

either this is a lie, or you are seriously the luckiest person in the world
  • edited July 2010
    'my one and only downswing' either this is a lie, or you are seriously the luckiest person in the world
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

or he's only played 18.4 hands ever. That is not a typo. :p
  • edited July 2010

U guys play almost exactly the same, hence u always say the same thing 99% of the time in the clinic.

Its like ur robots, maybe u r as u play 6+ tables all the time.

I play 2.....2 tables!! - I dont have a default setting.

Ive tried learning from u guys, trying to put ur theories into practise. I had mixed results, but the -£700 downswing happened during this "reconstructiion period"

I decided to go back to being myself, how I used to be, when I used to win with ease. On Tusday night/afternoon, I made £250 profit (8/9 buy ins)

Tonight so far Im £210 up - £30 in mtt entries, thats + 7 buy ins - Im 1 tabling!!

U guys just dont underatand....If u all play the same, like robots, of course ur gonna have downswings.

If ur good 70 times out of 100, and wrong 30, how gud wud it be if u cud make the right play all times u r good, and fold the 30 times u r behind?

Perfection is possible, strive for it!!

(and play less tables, u wont have downswings)
  • edited July 2010
    doh how many hands have you played lifetime?
  • edited July 2010

No idea
    Never used any of this analytical software or anything.

The only help Ive had with my game was during total player, when I came joint 4th on the site (looking for the best player)

I ran deeper than beaneh and browndog, ljamesl, cowgomoo etc, being coached and judged by a professional poker player and commentator.

It started as a means of making some beer money thru uni, and when I graduated, I had some time to take it more serious, since then, Im makng a proper wage, and as Im 23 and have no kids yet,I decided to give it a proper go.

And so far so good, 5 figures banked, plus ive lived off the game for a year, happy days.