You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playin for a living?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I cant believe what i'm reading
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living?:
    U guys play almost exactly the same, hence u always say the same thing 99% of the time in the clinic. Its like ur robots, maybe u r as u play 6+ tables all the time. I play 2.....2 tables!! - I dont have a default setting. Ive tried learning from u guys, trying to put ur theories into practise. I had mixed results, but the -£700 downswing happened during this "reconstructiion period" I decided to go back to being myself, how I used to be, when I used to win with ease. On Tusday night/afternoon, I made £250 profit (8/9 buy ins) Tonight so far Im £210 up - £30 in mtt entries, thats + 7 buy ins - Im 1 tabling!! U guys just dont underatand....If u all play the same, like robots, of course ur gonna have downswings. If ur good 70 times out of 100, and wrong 30, how gud wud it be if u cud make the right play all times u r good, and fold the 30 times u r behind? Perfection is possible, strive for it!! (and play less tables, u wont have downswings)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Dohhhhh your the new messiah
  • edited July 2010
    I think it is possible to make a living from the limits 20nl/30nl.

I think that Doh's 4k/month is obviously a rare one, especially 2 tabling, but I think that 1.5k is something that is very possible at those levels.

I would be very interested in seeing if Doh could get similar results on another site that is fully tracked, and also what kind of effect adding more tables would add to his game.  I do think that sometimes playing more tables can be counter productive.
  • edited July 2010
    coming 4th in total shambles is nothing to brag about
  • edited July 2010
    I cant believe what i'm reading
    Posted by BrownnDog

I didn't think this was a level at first, now I really hope it is for dohhhs sake lol
  • edited July 2010

Wrapping up for the night £200 richer, dnt have to think about/play poker till saturday.

Eagle is IMO the best 1 tabler below nl100, ie, if all the best nl80 and below regs played 1 table, eagle wud be my tip to string them all up, including me.

He has natural talent and flair, krackin instincts, and feel for the game that u abc robots cud only dream of. Superstars like Durr and Ivey don't get where they r from learning a book off by heart and putting it into practise.

They wud obviously hang u lot out to dry, n ud be potless within 6 months.

Im building up to it slowly, but surely, and like I said 2 months ago, give me a year, and I'll be smashing the nl200 tables, like I do the nl30 tables.

RESIGN EAGLE! RESIGN!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    Wrapping up for the night £200 richer, dnt have to think about/play poker till saturday. Eagle is IMO the best 1 tabler below nl100, ie, if all the best nl80 and below regs played 1 table, eagle wud be my tip to string them all up, including me. He has natural talent and flair, krackin instincts, and feel for the game that u abc robots cud only dream of. Superstars like Durr and Ivey don't get where they r from learning a book off by heart and putting it into practise. They wud obviously hang u lot out to dry, n ud be potless within 6 months. Im building up to it slowly, but surely, and like I said 2 months ago, give me a year, and I'll be smashing the nl200 tables, like I do the nl30 tables. RESIGN EAGLE! RESIGN!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    slowly? 4-10k pcm you be there in no time lol
  • edited July 2010
    lol
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    yeah after the last post by Doh I'm gonna go with that now.
  • edited July 2010
    The sad thing is it's not a level at all
  • edited July 2010
    The sad thing is it's not a level at all
    Posted by BrownnDog

As Eskakfkakafandiairriiriri the magician once said on high stakes poker

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    Wrapping up for the night £200 richer, dnt have to think about/play poker till saturday. Eagle is IMO the best 1 tabler below nl100, ie, if all the best nl80 and below regs played 1 table, eagle wud be my tip to string them all up, including me. He has natural talent and flair, krackin instincts, and feel for the game that u abc robots cud only dream of. Superstars like Durr and Ivey don't get where they r from learning a book off by heart and putting it into practise. They wud obviously hang u lot out to dry, n ud be potless within 6 months. Im building up to it slowly, but surely, and like I said 2 months ago, give me a year, and I'll be smashing the nl200 tables, like I do the nl30 tables. RESIGN EAGLE! RESIGN!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Through your drunken haze do you even remember posting this?

• edited July 2010
    all that weeeing and I've got a stain in my pants cos I actually let a little bit of wee out :p
  • edited July 2010
    One month I made 60k playing half a table 29 hours a day every other day on 50nl !!!

I must be the best now!
  • edited July 2010
    One month I made 60k playing half a table 29 hours a day every other day on 50nl !!! I must be the best now!
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
    Posted by MereNovice
    for real bro? wow. sick life. At least it makes me appreciate what i have in life :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : for real bro? wow. sick life. At least it makes me appreciate what i have in life :)
    Posted by BlackFish3
    And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

(Copyright: Monty Python)
  • edited July 2010
    I hope all this wins me thread of the week lol!

at the end of the day no matter what anybody says, no one can argue with dohhhhhhh's results!! if the guy has been playing for 5 years and only had 1 real bad spell then that to me shows the guy has a real talent for the game, he may play different & think different to most of you, but if hes making profit day in day out, week in week out, year in year out then how can ANYBODY argue with that? laugh at him or criticize him???

'hes a fish on a heater' is such a LOL comment!! since ive played him/spoke to him ive sat and watched him destroy the tables on a regular basis, at the end of every single session ive seen him play he's ended up massively in profit, so what does that tell ya? surely luck dont run that long? he's also helped me out massively with my game. top bloke, top player imo.

we look so ghay now dude lol

also thanks again to all the other ppl that have replyed on this thread since my last post giving advice. again v much appreciated cheers!!
  • edited July 2010
    I hope all this wins me thread of the week lol! at the end of the day no matter what anybody says, no one can argue with dohhhhhhh's results!! if the guy has been playing for 5 years and only had 1 real bad spell then that to me shows the guy has a real talent for the game, he may play different & think different to most of you, but if hes making profit day in day out, week in week out, year in year out then how can ANYBODY argue with that? laugh at him or criticize him??? 'hes a fish on a heater' is such a LOL comment!! since ive played him/spoke to him ive sat and watched him destroy the tables on a regular basis, at the end of every single session ive seen him play he's ended up massively in profit, so what does that tell ya? surely luck dont run that long? top bloke, top player imo. we look so ghay now dude lol also thanks again to all the other ppl that have replyed on this thread since my last post giving advice. again v much appreciated cheers!!
    Posted by Eagle26
    I have made no comment on DOHHHHH's poker ability.
    I just caution you to read the thread that I linked to.
    If a man that you consider to be crushing the game has made such a pitiable post, please think hard before making any decision.
  • edited July 2010
    kind of sad that you took it upon yourself to dig thru the forums to find this thread dont u think? its also kind of pointless because the stuff in this thread is the downswing that was mentioned earlier! ....
  • edited July 2010
    kind of sad that you took it upon yourself to dig thru the forums to find this thread dont u think? its also kind of pointless because the stuff in this thread is the downswing that was mentioned earlier! ....
    Posted by Eagle26

It's not sad at all and it didn't take any "digging".
    I was just hoping that you might realise that playing poker "for a living" isn't easy.
    I was trying to help you; I'm a little worried that you took it any other way.
  • edited July 2010
    doh was just being a woman, he was never bust, just had to reload, he's such a donk :D
  • edited July 2010
    Poker is sheeeet, all that happens is you lose. Play snap for matchsticks instead imo. If they do get the rng fixed here let me know pls so maybe i'll wins a pot. :D Also just for an idea over the years i've seen graphs of good winning players with 200k hand break even stretches. 50 buyins below ev is possible, can you afford that? can you still play your same game? can you keep moving up/down as your br allows? can you keep your concentration for 8 hours a day? even when your running bad? also lol at everyone having laptops, sky is resource happy, I have a high end laptop goodd processor 4gb ram and 2-3 tables is my absolute max without it blowing up in my face and slowing right down and timing me out. On my desktop i've been able to get 20+ tables comfortably! For constant grinding a desktop is a must have (also I got repetitive strain injury when I ground 40k points in a month because too much of my spare time was also spent on the computer!).
    Posted by beaneh

This surprises me.  I have heard of others with decent lappys with the same problem.  I bought one over a year ago, nothing special. Not even dual core processor, and 1gb ram.  I can 6 table without much problem and that is with using a dongle.  Must be something wrong there beaneh.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: playin for a living? : This surprises me.  I have heard of others with decent lappys with the same problem.  I bought one over a year ago, nothing special. Not even dual core processor, and 1gb ram.  I can 6 table without much problem and that is with using a dongle.  Must be something wrong there beaneh.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    i put my fist through my laptop so i bought a new one, i went for a cheap acer model cost about 350, anyway i have had this 4 months now, i play  on average 6 hours everyday and on 6 tables and i have never once had a problem
  • edited July 2010
    Looooool this is more like it.

For 5 weeks I woke up to stupidly boring/repetative threads with my hand histories, showing me calling down with strong hands and being outdrawn, then calling off out of frustration.

It's so satisfying on days like this to wake up and see the account balance has shot up, I only wasted 1 buy in, in the last 15 minutes, (66 on 2,3,J flop, he had KJ - time to but the beer away and go to bed right?)

Controversial opinions ftw!!! - Kinda gutted tho, I tried absolutely everything I could to get as many of the high stakes regs to come and slate me. I cudn't have done nemore!!! - So I lost my 5r (side bet with a m8)

Still good fun tho - moe of the same tomorrow! - (I really shud try and 3 table to keep myself off here whilst Im playing, maybe I shud look at investing in a desktop like browndog says. But that wud mean having to get out of bed and get dressed to go to work in't mornin - and what you gain in efficiency and profit, you lose in convenience and job satisfaction.)

• edited July 2010
    Looooool this is more like it. For 5 weeks I woke up to stupidly boring/repetative threads with my hand histories, showing me calling down with strong hands and being outdrawn, then calling off out of frustration. It's so satisfying on days like this to wake up and see the account balance has shot up, I only wasted 1 buy in, in the last 15 minutes, (66 on 2,3,J flop, he had KJ - time to but the beer away and go to bed right?) Controversial opinions ftw!!! - Kinda gutted tho, I tried absolutely everything I could to get as many of the high stakes regs to come and slate me. I cudn't have done nemore!!! - So I lost my 5r (side bet with a m8) Still good fun tho - moe of the same tomorrow! - (I really shud try and 3 table to keep myself off here whilst Im playing, maybe I shud look at investing in a desktop like browndog says. But that wud mean having to get out of bed and get dressed to go to work in't mornin - and what you gain in efficiency and profit, you lose in convenience and job satisfaction.)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    maybe you should get a Browndog cardigan and pencil tie and start living the dream
  • edited July 2010
    maybe dohhhhh's a bumhunter...........

nah i +1 to what Eagle has said jj certainly no donk, would own 90% of people on this site and harvey i would put u in that aswell

Eagle good luck if your going to do this, going be hardest at first when your not used to sitting at a computer for so long as i have to do each day and then go home and still do it is mad!
  • edited July 2010
    Dohhhhhhh's downswing came about because he tried to change his game for what he thought might be an improvement. I chatted with him on MSN a number of times at that time and it was apparent that the changes he was trying to make were affecting his profitability. Dohhhhhhh plays a great game on one or two tables and I think he now realises that that is his strong game.

Trying to better your performance is to be admired but realising that you have limitations and the courage to admit it is rare. As for going bust, he's just a typical tight a$$ed Yorkshireman who doesn't like dipping his hand in his pocket.
  • edited July 2010
    so just to be clear, ur going back to playin like a crazy again dohhh?