You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dealer's Choice

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Dealer's Choice:
    Hi Guys, This programme does look like THE CLUB GOES LARGE, which i do think is not a bad idea, but like a lot of people have said--- PRIMO is the weekly flagship tourney and to mess with it will cause some consternation. The channel has reduced the amount of LIVE programmes, but when you advertise that you are the only site to give feedback that is nearly live and then reduce this service to one night a week, you can run the risk of losing players, who love that uniqueness. Sky Des knows i speak my mind and i will collar him at DTD about my concerns about the site, in a levelheaded way. Maybe it's the time of year for a bit of a moan. Who knows? col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Very well put mate and good luck
  • edited August 2010

oh dear... that sounds permanent.. oh dear, oh dear.

they are strangling the goose that laid the golden egg and instead rearing a turkey.

• edited August 2010
    It sounds as if this is going to be the modus operandi every Sunday going forwards. I must admit that I am slightly concerned that whilst the website is doing well, we may be watching the last rites of channel 865 - hopefully I'm totally wrong!
  • edited August 2010
    just finished watching. losing an hour, diddly live hands....i am sorry but...NO..NO...NO.
  • edited August 2010
    I think they are trying to hard to mix things up....

Just showing hand after hand after hand is what it's all about, obv with bits of comedy inbetween.

You can't beat watching actual poker! Also the types of hands shown....how about more hands that end pre flop/pre turn....

More normal, standard, solid poker, mixed in with the coolers, huge hands and suck outs.

Only caught the last hour of the show tonight, and it was good - (apart from ending an hour early)

• edited August 2010
    If this is a permanent thing it appears to be commercial suicide. A lot of recreational players buy in to the primo because they have a chance to have their hands shows on television. And aside from that it is a hugely popular show anyway. I would be hard to imagine ratings and buyins to the primo not plummeting if this change is permanent. I don't think this was thought through very well.
  • edited August 2010
    If this is a permanent thing it appears to be commercial suicide. A lot of recreational players buy in to the primo because they have a chance to have their hands shows on television. And aside from that it is a hugely popular show anyway. I would be hard to imagine ratings and buyins to the primo not plummeting if this change is permanent. I don't think this was thought through very well.
    Posted by BrownnDog
    excellently put. i play a bit too often to call myself recreational but the primo/open is a unique event and my enthusiasm for entering it goes down drastically if tonight is a sign of things to come. may aswell enter other tourneys with similar buy ins (on other sites) and not wait til sundays. was there any players who wanted primo off the air?
  • edited August 2010
    An absolutly TERRIBLE decision by sky poker to axe live coverage of the primo!!!
    Totally agree with aussie09 and lordbobby`s comments.All we have left on 865 now is mastercash and thursday nights,sky poker you`re going in the WRONG DIRECTION and am sure the vast majority of the community want the sunday night primo put back on immediatly!!
  • edited August 2010
    An absolutly TERRIBLE decision by sky poker to axe live coverage of the primo!!! Totally agree with aussie09 and lordbobby`s comments.All we have left on 865 now is mastercash and thursday nights,sky poker you`re going in the WRONG DIRECTION and am sure the vast majority of the community want the sunday night primo put back on immediatly!!
    Posted by roachie
    Well said roachie. i myself and im sure a sizable amount of primo entrants will want verification that the primo will be shown as it has been until this sunday before i pay to enter another one.. it's bogus that you employ enough presenters to play five a side football, all the ads talk about how interactive the sky poker community is then they throw the primo coverage overboard.. and i dont buy the floated idea maybe they had technical issues as a) they would just say so and b) that show was planned, in sky tv planner for next week and very well versed on "the exciting new show". not for me if this is how its going. i would also like to use a line a previous poster said which is if anything we need more of the live primo/bounty hunter nights not less.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi All

Sorry you have not had a reply sooner. We are going through some major changes at the channel including looking at the shows we broadcast. These include us losing the 3D set and having to move to a simplified 2D version. However this will only effect the visual image you see rather then the content of the show in the long run.

This Sunday's change in scheduled programmes was merely an experiment therefore we appreciate all the feedback. The website should have been updated with the relevant information and I will be looking into why this did not happen. As the demand is so high for Primo to return on a Sunday evening I will be speaking to the Producer to make sure it is back on your screens asap.

Please continue to send in feedback about what you would like to see and when.

Thanks
  • edited August 2010

Morning,

Here is a reply I Posted in reply to a question on the "Ask tikay" thread, which may interest you.

"....Hi,

Thank you for your very well-phrased question. I know you & many others are quite angry, so I appreciate your diplomacy.

And yes, I do know what you mean, if I may paraphrase you.

The answer?

Could you please leave it with me for about 48 hours, please, & in the meantime, don't make any assumptions? As soon as I know the answer, the clear answer, I will reply fully.

Last night, during a break in the Show, I went on Forum & said (words to the effect),,

"Keep the constructive feedback coming. They ARE listening. TY TY TY".

That remains the case.

And DO keep the feedback coming. Bile & vitriol won't help, but almost all of it was solid & constructive stuff. More of the same, please.

Neither 865, or Sky Poker, will stand still, we have to innovate & move forward. But we also have to strike the balance of old & new "just so" with you, our Clients. And we will.

Thanks....."
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Claire & Tikay,

Thank you for the replies, its nice to know that SOMEONE at Sky is actually listening and responding to the comments made on the forum.  I REALLY hope that the old Primo format comes back soon as this is probably the best show of the week, and if it doesn't has Sky considered the cost of having to reproduce ALL of their current advertising which shows the 3D graphics AND which states that players can see their hands played LIVE on the premier tournament of the week. 

I DO understand that things have to change and evolve but I REALLY believe that this change is a step too far.  There is undoubtedly a place for th new Dealers Choice show but NOT in place of the Primo live coverage.

Steve
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Claire & Tikay, Thank you for the replies, its nice to know that SOMEONE at Sky is actually listening and responding to the comments made on the forum.  I REALLY hope that the old Primo format comes back soon as this is probably the best show of the week, and if it doesn't has Sky considered the cost of having to reproduce ALL of their current advertising which shows the 3D graphics AND which states that players can see their hands played LIVE on the premier tournament of the week.  I DO understand that things have to change and evolve but I REALLY believe that this change is a step too far.  There is undoubtedly a place for th new Dealers Choice show but NOT in place of the Primo live coverage. Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    Thanks Steve.

As you know, & at the risk of repeating myself (even more than usual....), I did find a moment during a break in the Show last night to pop onto the Forum & let everyone know that....

1) Sky Poker ARE listening.

2) We DO appreciate constructive feedback.

Attila (who I am steering WELL clear of today!) & myself have also both commented further this morning.

• edited August 2010

Ok, I refrained from commentating on this subject last night to see what response there was this morning.

FWIW, here is my 56p worth. It is obvious from posts on this thread and the other thread (why is there two?) that clients appreciate the format and look forward to Sunday's premier show which was THE PRIMO. To change the format of the show, which seemed to the untrained eye to be 'last minute' and without notice, was a judgmental error IMO.

Reading between the lines, it may be a cost cutting exercise to not use the 3D technology and show hands in 2D (again, just my opinion).

It has also been noted by a few on here that last night's show came across as a longer version of a 'club' episode. This would not be a bad thing but only really in the right slot. As a non cash player, Saturday would be a much better evening for it. (I might have a 'few' who disagree with me there, lol).

My final point is if this is the way forward, have we lost the live 3D TV show on a Thursday aswell now? That is all, for now....

Cheers,

Alan
  • edited August 2010

Guys,

I will pick up on EVERY question & appropriate comment during the day. Just bear with me please. And it won't be "yes" or no", I'll give the background & reasoning.

Thanks. 
  • edited August 2010

as said on the other two threads....

we needn't persuade skypoker to listen as it is wise for them to seek out the views of their customers.  if they listen, good for them.  if they act on what they hear, good too.  if it means that they persevere making these decision, such as removing 3D, good for them too.  but probably not good for business.

the decisions are theirs on business matters, the decisions are ours on whether skypoker are offering something more attractive than other options and how and where we choose to spend our time and money.

• edited August 2010
    If Sky need to cut costs, then there is simply nothing we can say or do to persuade them not to, because they HAVE do to it.

Such is life. At least we still have our own channel dedicated to broadcasting our hands live on air, 3D or not , my glass is half full!
  • edited August 2010
    Here's my 5p worth:

I missed the primo last night :( The only reason I usually play is to set up the laptop, turn on 865 and watch some of my hands play out.

I enjoyed the format last night, however not in replacement of the primo. This would be far better suited for a Friday night or something. The Primo rules when it's on!

As for the 2D - Hate it. 3D is much better and with Sky going on and on about 3D TV, it seems bizzarre to remove the 3D element in Sky Poker for a 2D image. 2D image also covers whole screen so you can't see the presenters, and when Sarah or Lisa are on, this is a bad thing!

PKRPar
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Sky Claire,
    Assuming these changes are due to budgets would it be possible to put it to the vote as to what the forum would like to see on tv - in other words give people a choice of either (A) you can have Primo but less other live poker or (B) scratch Primo to only show the final table but offer other new variations.
    Also as this forum is only one of a few I've ever come across that truly care about it's members it seems to me they should be the ones to have a big say about planned changes before they've been implemented, even if it's bad news - it's good to talk, you never know we might even have the answers for you ;)
  • edited August 2010
    If Sky need to cut costs, then there is simply nothing we can say or do to persuade them not to, because they HAVE do to it. Such is life. At least we still have our own channel dedicated to broadcasting our hands live on air, 3D or not , my glass is half full!
    Posted by Cowgomoo

+1  At last someone sees it as it probably is.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Sky Claire, Assuming these changes are due to budgets would it be possible to put it to the vote as to what the forum would like to see on tv - in other words give people a choice of either (A) you can have Primo but less other live poker or (B) scratch Primo to only show the final table but offer other new variations. Also as this forum is only one of a few I've ever come across that truly care about it's members it seems to me they should be the ones to have a big say about planned changes before they've been implemented, even if it's bad news - it's good to talk, you never know we might even have the answers for you ;)
    Posted by PokerParty
    Hi

The main problem with having such votes, is that the forum only represents a part of the Sky Poker members.
    I would assume that no matter what WE asked for, Sky Poker can and must remain within budget, as part of a bigger company. 
    However, Sky Poker does react well to our complaints(better and quicker than any other site), but that only can happen within their guidlines and remit, also any suggestions have to fit their vision to the direction of the site.

One thing that happened last night was that this programme happened without prior notice and as such most people don't like to be surprised.

The explination WILL come out, whether we like the is answer is another thing but Sky have always been open with us.

col
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Dealer's Choice : Hi The main problem with having such votes, is that the forum only represents a part of the Sky Poker members. I would assume that no matter what WE asked for, Sky Poker can and must remain within budget, as part of a bigger company.  However, Sky Poker does react well to our complaints(better and quicker than any other site), but that only can happen within their guidlines and remit, also any suggestions have to fit their vision to the direction of the site. One thing that happened last night was that this programme happened without prior notice and as such most people don't like to be surprised. The explination WILL come out, whether we like the is answer is another thing but Sky have always been open with us. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Hi Col,

As I replied earlier, yes, that was a major booboo by us, communication is key.

• edited August 2010
    I think the best show I have watched was the 1st series of the £220 buyin Thursday tournament. I remember Ed really dissecting every hand in great detail. I don't think you can beat this in terms of viewing for all abilities. Whether it be learning the game or more advanced players watching other players possible mindset/style of play.

So I think this just echo's the majority of replies, leave shows like the club for "Quieter" days and have the big games (Thursday and Primo) tourneys with in depth live analysis.

Although no ideal that the final table is rarely shown live, I'm sure the majority of players would rather see a decent structure with good analysis.

• edited August 2010

So many threads to choose where to post this...

Excuse my ramblings, I care about where Sky Poker is heading.

I started to play poker a couple of years ago, not for cash, just on a play site.  The main reason I played was for the social side, I knew a group of people who also played and we just met up in the evenings had a laugh at the table and spewed our free play chips about.

Then I decided to try and actually play properly for a while so signed up on another site and played.  The problem was I was playing poker but not having any fun whatsoever doing it.  Soon my interest was beginning to fade.  Without the friends and the conversation the poker seemed very dull.

One day, I can't remember exactly how it happened, I switched onto 865 one evening and saw the live show in all its interactive glory and sat and watched, then sat and watched some more.  Soon I was Sky+ the shows and watching them back at my leisure, enjoying the chat, learning from the analysis and having fun.

Then they mentioned the community forum, I thought I'd have a look to see what it's all about.  My first post was on the "Introduce yourself" thread, my second was on a thread congratulating a new presenter on her first show, Lisa I think her name was. ;-)

After that there was no looking back.

And that's how my story starts.  I think it's the story many Sky Poker players could use as their own, at least that's my impression from talking to many many of them.

So why Sky Poker and not somewhere else?

Tikay, James, Ed, Trevor, Dave, Richard, Lisa-Marie, Sarah, DP (sorry if I missed anyone), The crew who make the shows we love to watch.

(All the above many of us feel we know you, we play poker with you, talk to you in the chat box, on the phone, meet you at SPTs, rail those final tables talking to the Producers who relay messages direct to the presenters and analysts, this won't happen anywhere else, ever, it's unique to Sky Poker)

TV Analysis in the studio - the insight from the analysts and the presentation is better than anywhere else.  Where else can you see your own hands or friends hands being analysed so well.  Informative, educational and fun.

Live interactive 3D studio graphics - Sky Poker's Unique Selling Point, other channels have 'flat' table view of hands but it just isn't watchable for more than a few minutes.  I've tried watching 'education' poker shows on other channels but it's just not interesting and can barely captivate me for 30 minutes, how would that keep viewers watching for a 4 hour Primo?  If the live shows turned to this format I'm really sad to say I can't see myself watching whole shows, if this happens it will be terrible.

The Community Forums - So much happens here, you wouldn't think this would be affected by changes to the show but a community forum is only as good as the people who post.  I can easily imagine that many 'characters' in the forum abandon Sky Poker and leave the forum a shadow of it's former self.

The Players - I challenge anyone who plays on Stars, Tilt, Ubet, Bfair, etc etc to name 10 players they play with regularly.  I challenge them to name 3 players they play with by first name.  It just doesn't happen elsewhere.  Only on Sky Poker.  This is because of the unique environment that Sky Poker has nurtured, it would be sad to see this wither away.

865, the site, the players - The site has been built around the channel, the channel is the site, the two go hand in hand, if one is changed drastically it can only cause a drastic change to the other.

The Poker Education - Play my hand requests, interactive forum threads, chat box interaction with the Producers, Sky Poker School, The Poker Clinic, the show break tutorials, only on Sky Poker.  Teach you how to play Hold'em, done.  Teach you how to play Omaha, done.  Teach you how to play Omaha Hi-Lo, done.

SPTs - This has to be a highlight of Sky Poker, anyone who hasn't been GO, meet the players you play with daily, joke with them in person, play tourneys, play SnG's, have a drink, have a laugh, I'll go to every one I possibly can, I suggest you do too.

Viva Las Vegas - How many players represented Sky?  Really?  That many?  Now what does that say about the quality that Sky Poker produces?  How hard did the Sky Poker team work out in Vegas, how busy was the forum.  I'll tell you, very!

What saddens me is how Sky announces profits of £1bn at the end of July while at the  then same time announce they are to start broadcasting in true 3D later in the year.  While the news we hear is that there are massive cuts at Sky Poker.

And those cuts appear to be removing the Unique Selling Point of Sky Poker, the thing that makes it great and fun and worth staying about for.  I for one hope someone reconsiders.

• edited August 2010
    So many threads to choose where to post this... Excuse my ramblings, I care about where Sky Poker is heading. I started to play poker a couple of years ago, not for cash, just on a play site.   The main reason I played was for the social side, I knew a group of people who also played and we just met up in the evenings had a laugh at the table and spewed our free play chips about. Then I decided to try and actually play properly for a while so signed up on another site and played.   The problem was I was playing poker but not having any fun whatsoever doing it.   Soon my interest was beginning to fade.   Without the friends and the conversation the poker seemed very dull. One day, I can't remember exactly how it happened, I switched onto 865 one evening and saw the live show in all its interactive glory and sat and watched, then sat and watched some more.   Soon I was Sky+ the shows and watching them back at my leisure, enjoying the chat, learning from the analysis and having fun. Then they mentioned the community forum, I thought I'd have a look to see what it's all about.   My first post was on the "Introduce yourself" thread, my second was on a thread congratulating a new presenter on her first show, Lisa I think her name was. ;-) After that there was no looking back. And that's how my story starts.   I think it's the story many Sky Poker players could use as their own, at least that's my impression from talking to many many of them. So why Sky Poker and not somewhere else? Tikay, James, Ed, Trevor, Dave, Richard, Lisa-Marie, Sarah, DP (sorry if I missed anyone), The crew who make the shows we love to watch. (All the above many of us feel we know you, we play poker with you, talk to you in the chat box, on the phone, meet you at SPTs, rail those final tables talking to the Producers who relay messages direct to the presenters and analysts, this won't happen anywhere else, ever, it's unique to Sky Poker) TV Analysis in the studio - the insight from the analysts and the presentation is better than anywhere else.   Where else can you see your own hands or friends hands being analysed so well.   Informative, educational and fun. Live interactive 3D studio graphics - Sky Poker's Unique Selling Point , other channels have 'flat' table view of hands but it just isn't watchable for more than a few minutes.   I've tried watching 'education' poker shows on other channels but it's just not interesting and can barely captivate me for 30 minutes, how would that keep viewers watching for a 4 hour Primo?   If the live shows turned to this format I'm really sad to say I can't see myself watching whole shows, if this happens it will be terrible. The Community Forums - So much happens here, you wouldn't think this would be affected by changes to the show but a community forum is only as good as the people who post.   I can easily imagine that many 'characters' in the forum abandon Sky Poker and leave the forum a shadow of it's former self. The Players - I challenge anyone who plays on Stars, Tilt, Ubet, Bfair, etc etc to name 10 players they play with regularly.   I challenge them to name 3 players they play with by first name.   It just doesn't happen elsewhere.   Only on Sky Poker.   This is because of the unique environment that Sky Poker has nurtured, it would be sad to see this wither away. 865, the site, the players - The site has been built around the channel, the channel is the site, the two go hand in hand, if one is changed drastically it can only cause a drastic change to the other. The Poker Education - Play my hand requests, interactive forum threads, chat box interaction with the Producers, Sky Poker School, The Poker Clinic, the show break tutorials, only on Sky Poker.   Teach you how to play Hold'em, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha Hi-Lo, done. SPTs - This has to be a highlight of Sky Poker, anyone who hasn't been GO, meet the players you play with daily, joke with them in person, play tourneys, play SnG's, have a drink, have a laugh, I'll go to every one I possibly can, I suggest you do too. Viva Las Vegas - How many players represented Sky?   Really?   That many?   Now what does that say about the quality that Sky Poker produces?   How hard did the Sky Poker team work out in Vegas, how busy was the forum.   I'll tell you, very! What saddens me is how Sky announces profits of £1bn at the end of July while at the   then same time announce they are to start broadcasting in true 3D later in the year.   While the news we hear is that there are massive cuts at Sky Poker. And those cuts appear to be removing the Unique Selling Point of Sky Poker, the thing that makes it great and fun and worth staying about for.   I for one hope someone reconsiders.
    Posted by Machka
    ....er, what he said!

Cracking post Aaron! Completely agree with absolutely everything, especially the last bit!!!!

Chris

• edited August 2010
    So many threads to choose where to post this... Excuse my ramblings, I care about where Sky Poker is heading. I started to play poker a couple of years ago, not for cash, just on a play site.   The main reason I played was for the social side, I knew a group of people who also played and we just met up in the evenings had a laugh at the table and spewed our free play chips about. Then I decided to try and actually play properly for a while so signed up on another site and played.   The problem was I was playing poker but not having any fun whatsoever doing it.   Soon my interest was beginning to fade.   Without the friends and the conversation the poker seemed very dull. One day, I can't remember exactly how it happened, I switched onto 865 one evening and saw the live show in all its interactive glory and sat and watched, then sat and watched some more.   Soon I was Sky+ the shows and watching them back at my leisure, enjoying the chat, learning from the analysis and having fun. Then they mentioned the community forum, I thought I'd have a look to see what it's all about.   My first post was on the "Introduce yourself" thread, my second was on a thread congratulating a new presenter on her first show, Lisa I think her name was. ;-) After that there was no looking back. And that's how my story starts.   I think it's the story many Sky Poker players could use as their own, at least that's my impression from talking to many many of them. So why Sky Poker and not somewhere else? Tikay, James, Ed, Trevor, Dave, Richard, Lisa-Marie, Sarah, DP (sorry if I missed anyone), The crew who make the shows we love to watch. (All the above many of us feel we know you, we play poker with you, talk to you in the chat box, on the phone, meet you at SPTs, rail those final tables talking to the Producers who relay messages direct to the presenters and analysts, this won't happen anywhere else, ever, it's unique to Sky Poker) TV Analysis in the studio - the insight from the analysts and the presentation is better than anywhere else.   Where else can you see your own hands or friends hands being analysed so well.   Informative, educational and fun. Live interactive 3D studio graphics - Sky Poker's Unique Selling Point , other channels have 'flat' table view of hands but it just isn't watchable for more than a few minutes.   I've tried watching 'education' poker shows on other channels but it's just not interesting and can barely captivate me for 30 minutes, how would that keep viewers watching for a 4 hour Primo?   If the live shows turned to this format I'm really sad to say I can't see myself watching whole shows, if this happens it will be terrible. The Community Forums - So much happens here, you wouldn't think this would be affected by changes to the show but a community forum is only as good as the people who post.   I can easily imagine that many 'characters' in the forum abandon Sky Poker and leave the forum a shadow of it's former self. The Players - I challenge anyone who plays on Stars, Tilt, Ubet, Bfair, etc etc to name 10 players they play with regularly.   I challenge them to name 3 players they play with by first name.   It just doesn't happen elsewhere.   Only on Sky Poker.   This is because of the unique environment that Sky Poker has nurtured, it would be sad to see this wither away. 865, the site, the players - The site has been built around the channel, the channel is the site, the two go hand in hand, if one is changed drastically it can only cause a drastic change to the other. The Poker Education - Play my hand requests, interactive forum threads, chat box interaction with the Producers, Sky Poker School, The Poker Clinic, the show break tutorials, only on Sky Poker.   Teach you how to play Hold'em, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha Hi-Lo, done. SPTs - This has to be a highlight of Sky Poker, anyone who hasn't been GO, meet the players you play with daily, joke with them in person, play tourneys, play SnG's, have a drink, have a laugh, I'll go to every one I possibly can, I suggest you do too. Viva Las Vegas - How many players represented Sky?   Really?   That many?   Now what does that say about the quality that Sky Poker produces?   How hard did the Sky Poker team work out in Vegas, how busy was the forum.   I'll tell you, very! What saddens me is how Sky announces profits of £1bn at the end of July while at the   then same time announce they are to start broadcasting in true 3D later in the year.   While the news we hear is that there are massive cuts at Sky Poker. And those cuts appear to be removing the Unique Selling Point of Sky Poker, the thing that makes it great and fun and worth staying about for.   I for one hope someone reconsiders.
    Posted by Machka
    IS THAT ALL? DO YOU NOT CARE?
  • edited August 2010

good post machka

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Dealer's Choice : IS THAT ALL? DO YOU NOT CARE?
    Posted by FINS
    Bothered? ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Machka

I was gonna say that. ;)

Great post Aaron couldn't agree more. 

• edited August 2010
    Posted by Machka

Post of the year.