You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dealer's Choice

13»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Dealer's Choice:
    So many threads to choose where to post this... Excuse my ramblings, I care about where Sky Poker is heading. I started to play poker a couple of years ago, not for cash, just on a play site.   The main reason I played was for the social side, I knew a group of people who also played and we just met up in the evenings had a laugh at the table and spewed our free play chips about. Then I decided to try and actually play properly for a while so signed up on another site and played.   The problem was I was playing poker but not having any fun whatsoever doing it.   Soon my interest was beginning to fade.   Without the friends and the conversation the poker seemed very dull. One day, I can't remember exactly how it happened, I switched onto 865 one evening and saw the live show in all its interactive glory and sat and watched, then sat and watched some more.   Soon I was Sky+ the shows and watching them back at my leisure, enjoying the chat, learning from the analysis and having fun. Then they mentioned the community forum, I thought I'd have a look to see what it's all about.   My first post was on the "Introduce yourself" thread, my second was on a thread congratulating a new presenter on her first show, Lisa I think her name was. ;-) After that there was no looking back. And that's how my story starts.   I think it's the story many Sky Poker players could use as their own, at least that's my impression from talking to many many of them. So why Sky Poker and not somewhere else? Tikay, James, Ed, Trevor, Dave, Richard, Lisa-Marie, Sarah, DP (sorry if I missed anyone), The crew who make the shows we love to watch. (All the above many of us feel we know you, we play poker with you, talk to you in the chat box, on the phone, meet you at SPTs, rail those final tables talking to the Producers who relay messages direct to the presenters and analysts, this won't happen anywhere else, ever, it's unique to Sky Poker) TV Analysis in the studio - the insight from the analysts and the presentation is better than anywhere else.   Where else can you see your own hands or friends hands being analysed so well.   Informative, educational and fun. Live interactive 3D studio graphics - Sky Poker's Unique Selling Point , other channels have 'flat' table view of hands but it just isn't watchable for more than a few minutes.   I've tried watching 'education' poker shows on other channels but it's just not interesting and can barely captivate me for 30 minutes, how would that keep viewers watching for a 4 hour Primo?   If the live shows turned to this format I'm really sad to say I can't see myself watching whole shows, if this happens it will be terrible. The Community Forums - So much happens here, you wouldn't think this would be affected by changes to the show but a community forum is only as good as the people who post.   I can easily imagine that many 'characters' in the forum abandon Sky Poker and leave the forum a shadow of it's former self. The Players - I challenge anyone who plays on Stars, Tilt, Ubet, Bfair, etc etc to name 10 players they play with regularly.   I challenge them to name 3 players they play with by first name.   It just doesn't happen elsewhere.   Only on Sky Poker.   This is because of the unique environment that Sky Poker has nurtured, it would be sad to see this wither away. 865, the site, the players - The site has been built around the channel, the channel is the site, the two go hand in hand, if one is changed drastically it can only cause a drastic change to the other. The Poker Education - Play my hand requests, interactive forum threads, chat box interaction with the Producers, Sky Poker School, The Poker Clinic, the show break tutorials, only on Sky Poker.   Teach you how to play Hold'em, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha Hi-Lo, done. SPTs - This has to be a highlight of Sky Poker, anyone who hasn't been GO, meet the players you play with daily, joke with them in person, play tourneys, play SnG's, have a drink, have a laugh, I'll go to every one I possibly can, I suggest you do too. Viva Las Vegas - How many players represented Sky?   Really?   That many?   Now what does that say about the quality that Sky Poker produces?   How hard did the Sky Poker team work out in Vegas, how busy was the forum.   I'll tell you, very! What saddens me is how Sky announces profits of £1bn at the end of July while at the   then same time announce they are to start broadcasting in true 3D later in the year.   While the news we hear is that there are massive cuts at Sky Poker. And those cuts appear to be removing the Unique Selling Point of Sky Poker, the thing that makes it great and fun and worth staying about for.   I for one hope someone reconsiders.
    Posted by Machka

+1
  • edited August 2010
    So many threads to choose where to post this... Excuse my ramblings, I care about where Sky Poker is heading. I started to play poker a couple of years ago, not for cash, just on a play site.   The main reason I played was for the social side, I knew a group of people who also played and we just met up in the evenings had a laugh at the table and spewed our free play chips about. Then I decided to try and actually play properly for a while so signed up on another site and played.   The problem was I was playing poker but not having any fun whatsoever doing it.   Soon my interest was beginning to fade.   Without the friends and the conversation the poker seemed very dull. One day, I can't remember exactly how it happened, I switched onto 865 one evening and saw the live show in all its interactive glory and sat and watched, then sat and watched some more.   Soon I was Sky+ the shows and watching them back at my leisure, enjoying the chat, learning from the analysis and having fun. Then they mentioned the community forum, I thought I'd have a look to see what it's all about.   My first post was on the "Introduce yourself" thread, my second was on a thread congratulating a new presenter on her first show, Lisa I think her name was. ;-) After that there was no looking back. And that's how my story starts.   I think it's the story many Sky Poker players could use as their own, at least that's my impression from talking to many many of them. So why Sky Poker and not somewhere else? Tikay, James, Ed, Trevor, Dave, Richard, Lisa-Marie, Sarah, DP (sorry if I missed anyone), The crew who make the shows we love to watch. (All the above many of us feel we know you, we play poker with you, talk to you in the chat box, on the phone, meet you at SPTs, rail those final tables talking to the Producers who relay messages direct to the presenters and analysts, this won't happen anywhere else, ever, it's unique to Sky Poker) TV Analysis in the studio - the insight from the analysts and the presentation is better than anywhere else.   Where else can you see your own hands or friends hands being analysed so well.   Informative, educational and fun. Live interactive 3D studio graphics - Sky Poker's Unique Selling Point , other channels have 'flat' table view of hands but it just isn't watchable for more than a few minutes.   I've tried watching 'education' poker shows on other channels but it's just not interesting and can barely captivate me for 30 minutes, how would that keep viewers watching for a 4 hour Primo?   If the live shows turned to this format I'm really sad to say I can't see myself watching whole shows, if this happens it will be terrible. The Community Forums - So much happens here, you wouldn't think this would be affected by changes to the show but a community forum is only as good as the people who post.   I can easily imagine that many 'characters' in the forum abandon Sky Poker and leave the forum a shadow of it's former self. The Players - I challenge anyone who plays on Stars, Tilt, Ubet, Bfair, etc etc to name 10 players they play with regularly.   I challenge them to name 3 players they play with by first name.   It just doesn't happen elsewhere.   Only on Sky Poker.   This is because of the unique environment that Sky Poker has nurtured, it would be sad to see this wither away. 865, the site, the players - The site has been built around the channel, the channel is the site, the two go hand in hand, if one is changed drastically it can only cause a drastic change to the other. The Poker Education - Play my hand requests, interactive forum threads, chat box interaction with the Producers, Sky Poker School, The Poker Clinic, the show break tutorials, only on Sky Poker.   Teach you how to play Hold'em, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha, done.   Teach you how to play Omaha Hi-Lo, done. SPTs - This has to be a highlight of Sky Poker, anyone who hasn't been GO, meet the players you play with daily, joke with them in person, play tourneys, play SnG's, have a drink, have a laugh, I'll go to every one I possibly can, I suggest you do too. Viva Las Vegas - How many players represented Sky?   Really?   That many?   Now what does that say about the quality that Sky Poker produces?   How hard did the Sky Poker team work out in Vegas, how busy was the forum.   I'll tell you, very! What saddens me is how Sky announces profits of £1bn at the end of July while at the   then same time announce they are to start broadcasting in true 3D later in the year.   While the news we hear is that there are massive cuts at Sky Poker. And those cuts appear to be removing the Unique Selling Point of Sky Poker, the thing that makes it great and fun and worth staying about for.   I for one hope someone reconsiders.
    Posted by Machka
    Exactly,took the words straight out of my mouth ;o)
    Best post ive ever read by a country mile.dav
  • edited August 2010
    Can only echo what everyone else has said since Machka's contribution - brilliant post Sir!

I too was drawn to Sky Poker via 865 after accidentally stumbling across it one night late 2008. I don't remember too much, but I do have this vague memory of the panelists being sat behind a desk and one of them having a name-tag 'Tikay'. I recall thinking that's an unusual name, and he sounds like he's from Birmingham....

Anyway I continued to tune in, eager to gain some knowledge of this game, then signed up and began playing.

:)

PS still not found out which part of Birmingham he's from.

• edited August 2010

Hi Guys,

Bit awkward right now, as I am playing (VERY badly) Online, & trying to do stuff on two Forums.

I am penning a Blog to answer all the questions, & appraise you of the position. The Blog will be linked to a Forum thread so we can debate it afterwards. The Blog will be up, I hope, in the morning.

For now, though.....

A Meet is taking place in the morning to go over some stuff, but it's my understanding that.....

1) Primo - covered "Live", as it has always been, will be back this Sunday, & for the foreseeable future. Every Sunday.

2) Thursday will remain "as is", & Saturday will remain "Cash Night".

3) We have signed up for a new Studio, (which was part of the problem), this demonstrates Sky poker's committment to Channel 865.

I will explain & detail EVERYTHING in the Blog.

Until then, sorry, I just cannot reply to any other Forum Posts on the Subject, as we have about 6 Threads on the go, & I can't keep up with them all.

We had a communication problem, tied in with well-intended eagerness to innovate & improve, & we are sorry about that, but that's the top & bottom of it, we ain't going anywhere. Sky Poker is in rude health, & all is well.

The Blog will be up tomorrow.

Thanks.
  • edited August 2010

Thanks Tikay, I eagerly await the next installment in this gripeing saga:)

Unlucky in the deeps stack earlier, and good luck in tonights ToT.

Steve

• edited August 2010
    Thanks Tikay, I eagerly await the next installment in this gripeing saga:) Unlucky in the deeps stack earlier, and good luck in tonights ToT. Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    Thanks Steve. I pretty much "dumped off" in the 7pm, I just can't concentrate when I'm playing & doing stuff on the Forum, & some rather urgent stuff arose on the Sky Poker Tour board, & on another Forum.

I think I need to turn off the Forums when I'm playing, I just cannot handle them all.

PS - Probably fair to say I'm a "little grumpy" right now, too. ;)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Dealer's Choice : Thanks Steve. I pretty much "dumped off" in the 7pm, I just can't concentrate when I'm playing & doing stuff on the Forum, & some rather urgent stuff arose on the Sky Poker Tour board, & on another Forum. I think I need to turn off the Forums when I'm playing, I just cannot handle them all. PS - Probably fair to say I'm a "little grumpy" right now, too. ;)
    Posted by tikay1
    I know that feeling, when I am in a deep stack, fold, fold, folding, I tend to start scanning the forum for an interesting thread, and before I know where I am an hour has gone by and I have lost most of my chips and I am playing catch-up.

And as for being grumpy, isn't that what being a poker player is all about?? :)
  • edited August 2010
    Yes Tikay - TURN THEM OFF! Forums are too distracting when playing. They're actually rather distracting when not playing! lol
    I sympathise, it can be a 'mare!
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Guys, Bit awkward right now, as I am playing (VERY badly) Online, & trying to do stuff on two Forums. I am penning a Blog to answer all the questions, & appraise you of the position. The Blog will be linked to a Forum thread so we can debate it afterwards. The Blog will be up, I hope, in the morning. For now, though..... A Meet is taking place in the morning to go over some stuff, but it's my understanding that..... 1) Primo - covered "Live", as it has always been, will be back this Sunday, & for the foreseeable future. Every Sunday. 2) Thursday will remain "as is", & Saturday will remain "Cash Night". 3) We have signed up for a new Studio, (which was part of the problem), this demonstrates Sky poker's committment to Channel 865. I will explain & detail EVERYTHING in the Blog. Until then, sorry, I just cannot reply to any other Forum Posts on the Subject, as we have about 6 Threads on the go, & I can't keep up with them all. We had a communication problem, tied in with well-intended eagerness to innovate & improve, & we are sorry about that, but that's the top & bottom of it, we ain't going anywhere. Sky Poker is in rude health, & all is well. The Blog will be up tomorrow. Thanks.
    Posted by tikay1
    thanks for your continous efforts to keep us all informed... thanks tikay....
     bob