You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLayers Away

edited September 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey Guys

What do you think about freerolls on sky poker and also the tournys as well, at the moment I am finding every table players sit out at least min of  THE FIRST 20 MINUTES , at least 3 players per table are sitting out , the last 3 tournaments I have sat down I have played no poker for 55 minutes due to 5 out of 6 players sitting out this is not just in freerolls its happening in other tournaments ,

Has any body experienced the same situation or similar ?

For  A QEUSTION TO SKY POKER CAN YOU PUT  A TIME LIMIT ON FOR PLAYERS SITTING OUT WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED 1 HAND IN THE TOURNY OR A MIN OF 5 HANDS !!
What do you think about this ?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I would delete your username if i were you matey
  • edited August 2010

Hi Murph,

With due respect, you should NEVER include your e-Mail address or even User Name on Forum Posts. It'd be prudent to remove them both soonest.
  • edited August 2010

And in the 2 posts in Community Suggestions.

• edited August 2010
    Hey

I have edited your post, and removed your email, and username, unfortunately it is against forum rules.

Thank you for your understanding

Sky Mod
  • edited August 2010
    Hi

Unfortunately, it is all part and parcel of poker, players may sit out if they wish.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away:
    Hi Unfortunately, it is all part and parcel of poker, players may sit out if they wish.
    Posted by acebarry10
    Hi

I understand what your saying but not when a player has sat out for min of 20 minutes at the very start of a tourny and never played a hand then maybe 20 minus later they join in . Do you think that is ok ? does not affect you wen you play poker and out of the 6 players for 30 mins theres only you playing !!!
  • edited August 2010
    and sorry guys about putting my details didnt realise what I did

Thanks
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : Hi I understand what your saying but not when a player has sat out for min of 20 minutes at the very start of a tourny and never played a hand then maybe 20 minus later they join in . Do you think that is ok ? does not affect you wen you play poker and out of the 6 players for 30 mins theres only you playing !!!
    Posted by murphinho
    Hi

To be honest, I really dont mind, I just keep pinching the blinds till/if they join in, there has been lots of occasions I have been on a table with "Away players" and have blinded them out, more chips for me lol, its poker, it happens :)Phill Hellmuth does not join in a tourny until level 3, and thats live :)
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to PLayers Away:
    Hey Guys What do you think about freerolls on sky poker and also the tournys as well, at the moment I am finding every table players sit out at least min of  THE FIRST 20 MINUTES , at least 3 players per table are sitting out , the last 3 tournaments I have sat down I have played no poker for 55 minutes due to 5 out of 6 players sitting out this is not just in freerolls its happening in other tournaments , Has any body experienced the same situation or similar ? For  A QEUSTION TO SKY POKER CAN YOU PUT  A TIME LIMIT ON FOR PLAYERS SITTING OUT WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED 1 HAND IN THE TOURNY OR A MIN OF 5 HANDS !! What do you think about this ?
    Posted by murphinho
    i agree, its a pain, if you dont play a hand for 5 mins then you should be kicked off
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to PLayers Away : i agree, its a pain, if you dont play a hand for 5 mins then you should be kicked off
    Posted by explanty
    Hi explanty,

May I ask why you consider it to be "a pain", & why you think "away" players are a disadvantage, please?

This matter is exercising the Suits minds considerably, because it goes 100% against everything a poker player would normally think.

There has been a LOT of adverse comment, agreeing with your view, so Sky Poker take the comments very seriously, but it's a mystery to Sky Poker, & to myself.

So, can you elaborate, please?

I know you are referring to Freerolls here, but take it one step further. If I pay to enter a Tourney, DYM or whatever,  & choose, as I often do, & for a variety of reasons, to sit out, & the Software then "kicks me off", I'd sue the Cardroom, & never ever play there again. Why? Because it's my money, my choice, & my right to decide whether to sit in or sit out, & no rule could ever be framed to say othwerwise.

TIA.
  • edited September 2010
    This is daft

Some people just like to have a moan about anything lol
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : Hi explanty, May I ask why you consider it to be "a pain", & why you think "away" players are a disadvantage, please? This matter is exercising the Suits minds considerably, because it goes 100% against everything a poker player would normally think. There has been a LOT of adverse comment, agreeing with your view, so Sky Poker take the comments very seriously, but it's a mystery to Sky Poker, & to myself. So, can you elaborate, please? I know you are referring to Freerolls here, but take it one step further. If I pay to enter a Tourney, DYM or whatever,  & choose, as I often do, & for a variety of reasons, to sit out, & the Software then "kicks me off", I'd sue the Cardroom, & never ever play there again. Why? Because it's my money, my choice, & my right to decide whether to sit in or sit out, & no rule could ever be framed to say othwerwise.   TIA.
    Posted by Tikay10

I was thinking about this the other day. Say if you were in a live tournament and got disqualified for some reason but for not cheating or any other serious offence. Say you persistently kept acting out of turn i.e breaking the rules. Would you be entitled to a refund of your buyin? 

• edited September 2010
    It has always been a contentious issue, the "away" player.

If a player is away or chooses not to join a game until a certain point or level then fair enough.

It is the player who is playing hide & seek and jumping in mid-hand that is a bit irritating (imo)

It is widely known what Phil Helmuth does in tourneys, but to be fair he IS away and not hiding under the table waiting for a pair of Aces to hit the felt.

It would be great if something could be built into on-line tourneys where you have the option of joining at a certain level. e.g....an option box that could be ticked saying, I wish to be away for 30 minutes or 4 levels or something like that.
  • ckdckd
    edited September 2010

i think the main reson for prople being peved with it is there there to play poker and have a game i myself dont really care if they sitout but i can see y people get upset with it
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : I was thinking about this the other day. Say if you were in a live tournament and got disqualified for some reason but for not cheating or any other serious offence. Say you persistently kept acting out of turn i.e breaking the rules. Would you be entitled to a refund of your buyin? 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    No, you would NOT be entitled to a refund in the circumstances you describe.

But "sitting out" has never been against the Rules of Poker, nor will it ever be. So if I sat-out  & they disqualified me because of that, I'd never play there again, & would INSIST on a full refund, because I am doing NOTHING WRONG, or against the letter OR spirit of the Rules, by sitting out.

If the Rules of Poker one day change to make sitting out against the Rules, that's different. But no poker rule book, anywhere, ever, says that it wrong in any way, shape, or form, to sit out. 

The Reason I asked "explanty" to explain, is because I'm trying to understand the problem, & I'm doing that because it's a problem Sky Poker want to deal with fairly, but they don't understand it, either. Essentially, the seated players are getting free money, which is why it baffles me that it's perceived as a problem by several Clients.
  • edited September 2010
    It has always been a contentious issue, the "away" player. If a player is away or chooses not to join a game until a certain point or level then fair enough. It is the player who is playing hide & seek and jumping in mid-hand that is a bit irritating (imo) It is widely known what Phil Helmuth does in tourneys, but to be fair he IS away and not hiding under the table waiting for a pair of Aces to hit the felt. It would be great if something could be built into on-line tourneys where you have the option of joining at a certain level. e.g....an option box that could be ticked saying, I wish to be away for 30 minutes or 4 levels or something like that.
    Posted by emilyegg
    Agreed, but that's not what the players are complaining about in this instance.

I would not be in favour of your closing suggestion. Sometimes I, or others, cannot predict that we will arrive late. I often arrive late due to unforseen committments elsewhere, or work, traffic-jam, whatever. My Blinds are paid, so that's fine. But if I were disqualified because I arrived late, I'd be very cross indeed.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi tikay

Give me at least on table of "away" players every tourny, I would be happy
  • edited September 2010
    I guess some players, especially "less serious" poker players, actually want to "play poker" if that makes sense. I imagine a large proportion of the people who play freerolls are players new to poker and are keen to play the game like they see on TV e.g lots of bluffs, big bets and all-ins. So if they are seated at a table with many players sitting out, then poker loses that glamorous side and they easily become bored by just "nicking" the blinds. 

I on the other hand would love to sit there and steal the blinds and accumulate a lot of chips early. 

Each to their own I guess. But It confuses me when people complain about things that are free!!  
  • edited September 2010
    I guess some players, especially "less serious" poker players, actually want to "play poker" if that makes sense. I imagine a large proportion of the people who play freerolls are players new to poker and are keen to play the game like they see on TV e.g lots of bluffs, big bets and all-ins. So if they are seated at a table with many players sitting out, then poker loses that glamorous side and they easily become bored by just "nicking" the blinds.  I on the other hand would love to sit there and steal the blinds and accumulate a lot of chips early.  Each to their own I guess. But It confuses me when people complain about things that are free!!  
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Yes, that all makes sense Lewis, but it misses one central point.

You cannot have one set of rules, & one set of software, for Freerolls & another for normal "paid" Tourneys. It's simply not possible. So it's one, or the other.

The reason I have engaged in debate on this thread is because to arrive at the best, & correct, solution, for the Sky Poker Clients, Sky Poker need to understand the problem. They sought the view of myself & others, but I was, & am not, able to grasp the problem. And as yet, nobody has explained to me why it exercises people's minds so much.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi tikay Give me at least on table of "away" players every tourny, I would be happy
    Posted by acebarry10
    oh cmon baz u aint that scared of havin opposition are ya ;o)
  • edited September 2010

I think sky have already addressed it partly, the freerolls now registration opens 3 hours before the tournament starts, where as b4 it was 24 hours and people were registering the day before then not turning up. 

• ybyb
    edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : Yes, that all makes sense Lewis, but it misses one central point. You cannot have one set of rules, & one set of software, for Freerolls & another for normal "paid" Tourneys. It's simply not possible. So it's one, or the other. The reason I have engaged in debate on this thread is because to arrive at the best, & correct, solution, for the Sky Poker Clients, Sky Poker need to understand the problem. They sought the view of myself & others, but I was, & am not, able to grasp the problem. And as yet, nobody has explained to me why it exercises people's minds so much.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I guess one way around it could be to delay registration of freerolls until the tournament is about to begin (say 10-15 mins before its about to start), this way the majority of people registering will actually be 'sat in' at the tables. Obviously when its not a freeroll people have paid their entry fee and are free to do whatever they wish.

Like brownndog, though, I'm always happy to help myself to some free blinds early on. One time I was playing a tourny and I think there was connection problems because everyone was away apart from me for a few minutes, so I had the cursor hovered over the raise button clicking it as fast as I could lol.
  • edited September 2010
    I think sky have already addressed it partly, the freerolls now registration opens 3 hours before the tournament starts, where as b4 it was 24 hours and people were registering the day before then not turning up. 
    Posted by 35suited
    IF YOUR CORRECT , PROBLEM SOLVED ME THINKS .

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : I guess one way around it could be to delay registration of freerolls until the tournament is about to begin (say 10-15 mins before its about to start), this way the majority of people registering will actually be 'sat in' at the tables. Obviously when its not a freeroll people have paid their entry fee and are free to do whatever they wish. Like brownndog, though, I'm always happy to help myself to some free blinds early on. One time I was playing a tourny and I think there was connection problems because everyone was away apart from me for a few minutes, so I had the cursor hovered over the raise button clicking it as fast as I could lol.
    Posted by yb
    Yes YB, I understand that, but it does not address my problem. What I need to try to understand is WHY it upsets people that there are "away" players.

If Tesco offer 500 cans of Baked Beans for free, & the first 500 to "register" qualify to go grab them, then as far as I'm concerned, the less opposition I face, the better. Why would I want all 500 to turn up?

Less poker players means more chips. Less Tesco customers meanz more beanz.

That's the disconnect I have, I can't grasp why it is perceived to be a problem.
  • ckdckd
    edited September 2010

i think the problem is that for over an hour people are just raising to steal and people that want to play the game cant as there is no 1 there to play thats y i think people are complaning about it..... its not a proper game to them
  • edited September 2010

HI TK , IN MY CASE IT IS ILLOGICAL BUT IT TILTS THE BEANS OUT OF ME :) . ITS THE MAIN REASON I DON'T ENTER MANY FREEROLLS.IF IM ALONE AT A TABLE , HAPPY TIMES BUT HAVING TO PLAY H/U IN THE FIRST HOUR IS NOT THE REASON I ENTERED AND JUST GRRRRSSS ME .
  • edited September 2010
     HI TK , IN MY CASE IT IS ILLOGICAL BUT IT TILTS THE BEANS OUT OF ME :) . ITS THE MAIN REASON I DON'T ENTER MANY FREEROLLS.IF IM ALONE AT A TABLE , HAPPY TIMES BUT HAVING TO PLAY H/U IN THE FIRST HOUR IS NOT THE REASON I ENTERED AND JUST GRRRRSSS ME .
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    +1
  • edited September 2010
    The large number of away's for the August freerolls was frustrating for those of us who aren't experienced enough to multi table. 

Sitting stealing blinds for up to an hour followed by 30 second breaks whilst away players had the chance to rebuy which they were never going to take up whilst the big stacks and the average chip amount accelerated faster than you could mop up blinds wasn't the end of the world but wasn't much fun either.

I can see that Sky can't do anything about this through the tournament software. Shortening registration times ought to work, as should having to use points to enter which would place a minimal entry value whilst making players think slightly more about whether they're going to play or not before registering. This would also give slightly more reward to those who pay to play on the site and accumulate points by doing so.
  • edited September 2010

Sitting out is part of the game for some people, i hate playing the first 30 mins of any torny because the blinds are so small so i usually sit out or constantly fold until later. You can sit out in live events so you can sit out in online aswell. Freerolls are a bit diff because last month people where entering them a day early because they where filling up quick but then they may no be able to make the tournament. (this is because there was some competition on freerolls) I dont like stealing blinds in poker early on but i aint going to complain about it.

I agree it can be annoying when you get a premium hand and want value or when you are sitting with connecters and want every1 in however the cards there folding may well be better hands that thay can knock you out with. Its part of poker which will never be removed because there circumstances live and online where you cant be at the table.

Just one tip when there are people away at your table your hands are far better than when there is a full table of players.

• edited September 2010
    The large number of away's for the August freerolls was frustrating for those of us who aren't experienced enough to multi table.  Sitting stealing blinds for up to an hour followed by 30 second breaks whilst away players had the chance to rebuy which they were never going to take up whilst the big stacks and the average chip amount accelerated faster than you could mop up blinds wasn't the end of the world but wasn't much fun either.  I can see that Sky can't do anything about this through the tournament software. Shortening registration times ought to work, as should having to use points to enter which would place a minimal entry value whilst making players think slightly more about whether they're going to play or not before registering. This would also give slightly more reward to those who pay to play on the site and accumulate points by doing so.
    Posted by harding10
    GREAT & balanced reply Mr Harding, (are you Gilbert's son by any chance?), thank you.

To me, if someone is giving me some free money, I'm inclined to the view that I'd show a little patience (& I AM impatient!) in return for the shot at free money, enhanced shot, too, as I'd have mopped up 5 times my Starting Stack before the game began in earnest. That's the bit I struggle with, do you not think it's a sort of quid pro quo?