You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLayers Away

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away:
    Sitting out is part of the game for some people, i hate playing the first 30 mins of any torny because the blinds are so small so i usually sit out or constantly fold until later. You can sit out in live events so you can sit out in online aswell. Freerolls are a bit diff because last month people where entering them a day early because they where filling up quick but then they may no be able to make the tournament. (this is because there was some competition on freerolls) I dont like stealing blinds in poker early on but i aint going to complain about it. I agree it can be annoying when you get a premium hand and want value or when you are sitting with connecters and want every1 in however the cards there folding may well be better hands that thay can knock you out with. Its part of poker which will never be removed because there circumstances live and online where you cant be at the table. Just one tip when there are people away at your table your hands are far better than when there is a full table of players.
    Posted by Batkin88
    I'm not 100% sure, Miss Batkin, but I think I may love you.
  • edited September 2010
    May I surgest to stop people jumping in when they have a premium hand the hand that is showing when they press Im back cant be played.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : I'm not 100% sure, Miss Batkin, but I think I may love you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Charmed Mr Kendall!!!

However i am right
    I dont understand why or how you can have a problem with people being away?? Your beans story summed it up tbh.
    And if you dont want people jumping in raise preflop because otherwise you letting them limp.
    I know that morphino is a big stakes player aswell so its suprising the thread was started by him so must be happening in paid tornys aswell.
  • edited September 2010

It is impossible to insist, or police, that if someone registers for a freeroll that they are not "away"

Freerolls by their very nature are free, and therefore when someone sees that it's free they register straight away without thinking.

If i see someone handing out free samples of stuff in a shopping centre i take it. I dont care what it is.

I might never use the moisturiser lotion or the coffee beans and they are probably still sitting in a drawer somewhere. But there you go, its human nature.

When some people register for a freeroll, they don't remember (or care) that they have registered, its common across ALL poker websites. I have played many freerolls over the years and it is very unusual to have a full active table at the start and for the first few levels.

The point i am making is that freerolls are a different kind of poker. We should accept them for what they are imo. if we want a full active table (which is harder to beat imo!) then play real money games!

Even the very smallest real money games usually have full active tables, but if people choose to pay and not turn up then well they are silly.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : Charmed Mr Kendall!!! However i am right I dont understand why or how you can have a problem with people being away?? Your beans story summed it up tbh. And if you dont want people jumping in raise preflop because otherwise you letting them limp. I know that morphino is a big stakes player aswell so its suprising the thread was started by him so must be happening in paid tornys aswell.
    Posted by Batkin88
    I DO love you, because....

1) You are bright, intelligent & articulate, with a good balanced mind.

2) The "88" in your alias - "batkin88" - reminds me of my favourite London bus Route, the 88. The 88 Bus Route even has it's own Wikipidea Page. Look, it's here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Buses_route_88

I think we were made to be forever together.

As to the "away players", I wrote you some song lyrics, but keep them to yourself, in case Mark Knopfler tries to nick them.

"It's a mystery to me - the poker game commences
    for the usual fee - plus expenses"

Don't forget, not a word to a soul - it's confidential information.

• edited September 2010
    May I surgest to stop people jumping in when they have a premium hand the hand that is showing when they press Im back cant be played.
    Posted by Donut64
    Donut for the win. Regardless of whether it is a freeroll, a dym or the primo, if you are "away" you should be out for the whole level, with no option of jumping in when the premium hand arrives during it.
  • edited September 2010
    as far as im concerned away players can sit out the whole tourny if they like,and if its a "hidden" player you will soon realise he has a hand if he only pops up every so often.

tk,you say the suits are interested in the clients veiws and this subject gets a lot of compliants, but please dont let them change the rules just because players dont like it (even if they are in the majority)
  • edited September 2010
    I honestly don't understand why anybody has a problem with players being "away". Surely you would be better off in the later stages of a tourney having accumulated blinds for half an hour to an hour, rather than playing for your tournament life. It really is a no-brainer as far as i can see.

As for people jumping in when they have premium hands, i know (and it's been mentioned here on previous threads of this ilk) that there are some sites that automatically sit you out the hand if you are not registered as "there" when the cards are dealt. If that was implemented on here then people wouldn't be able to jump in with their aces because it would fold straight away.
  • edited September 2010
    In answer to your question Tikay ( i personally don't mind in the slightest the away players, i just pinch their blinds) but i will try to explain the 'haters' reasoning as i have come to understand it.
    The main problems seem to occur in freerolls (and always will)
    1. Sometimes the registration is full, you cannot any longer register but when it starts there are 'hundreds' away - annoying? i suppose yes! (i've registered myself and not bothered turning up)
    2. On a 3 player away table, after an hour you have pinched the chips with 2 other players, that means you have lets say 6000 chips - whoopee? No not really, you are now 587th / 954 and the chip leader has 128,000 because he has been fighting out with 'not away' players( for not away players read my thread from way back lol ) and the blinds are now 1000/2000 lol
    Me personally i think - its free so who cares?

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Awayalf an hour 40 minutes:
    I honestly don't understand why anybody has a problem with players being "away". Surely you would be better off in the later stages of a tourney having accumulated blinds for half an hour to an hour, rather than playing for your tournament life. It really is a no-brainer as far as i can see. As for people jumping in when they have premium hands, i know (and it's been mentioned here on previous threads of this ilk) that there are some sites that automatically sit you out the hand if you are not registered as "there" when the cards are dealt. If that was implemented on here then people wouldn't be able to jump in with their aces because it would fold straight away.
    Posted by labrat64
    This
  • edited September 2010
    In answer to your question Tikay ( i personally don't mind in the slightest the away players, i just pinch their blinds) but i will try to explain the 'haters' reasoning as i have come to understand it. The main problems seem to occur in freerolls (and always will) 1. Sometimes the registration is full, you cannot any longer register but when it starts there are 'hundreds' away - annoying? i suppose yes! (i've registered myself and not bothered turning up) 2. On a 3 player away table, after an hour you have pinched the chips with 2 other players, that means you have lets say 6000 chips - whoopee? No not really, you are now 587th / 954 and the chip leader has 128,000 because he has been fighting out with 'not away' players( for not away players read my thread from way back lol ) and the blinds are now 1000/2000 lol Me personally i think - its free so who cares?
    Posted by loonytoons

hi m8y ,

this been true above is the nuts ,

i sent you a pm regarding above .

see what you think .

denis
  • edited September 2010
    In answer to your question Tikay ( i personally don't mind in the slightest the away players, i just pinch their blinds) but i will try to explain the 'haters' reasoning as i have come to understand it. The main problems seem to occur in freerolls (and always will) 1. Sometimes the registration is full, you cannot any longer register but when it starts there are 'hundreds' away - annoying? i suppose yes! (i've registered myself and not bothered turning up) 2. On a 3 player away table, after an hour you have pinched the chips with 2 other players, that means you have lets say 6000 chips - whoopee? No not really, you are now 587th / 954 and the chip leader has 128,000 because he has been fighting out with 'not away' players( for not away players read my thread from way back lol ) and the blinds are now 1000/2000 lol Me personally i think - its free so who cares?
    Posted by loonytoons
    Nicely summed up.

And for those who Sky want to encourage to join and play poker the result is it's not an enjoyable way of playing.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : GREAT & balanced reply Mr Harding, (are you Gilbert's son by any chance?), thank you. To me, if someone is giving me some free money, I'm inclined to the view that I'd show a little patience (& I AM impatient!) in return for the shot at free money, enhanced shot, too, as I'd have mopped up 5 times my Starting Stack before the game began in earnest. That's the bit I struggle with, do you not think it's a sort of quid pro quo ?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't know of any Gilbert Harding in the family.
  • edited September 2010
    One thing I don't get, in the live setting, is why "dead stacks" are removed after Level 3? When I say "dead stacks", I mean players who have either bought in (or qualified) for a live tournament but have not turned up for various reasons.
  • edited September 2010
    Its not the 3 or even 5 aways (tho this is boring for 20 mins stealing round after round of 30 chips then 45 etc) that bothers me but the 4 aways with the only active player sitting behind u - he's in position 5/6 of the time - & this can last an hour as u cant knock out the aways!

I find this game difficult enough without going up against these odds!
  • edited September 2010
    One thing I don't get, in the live setting, is why "dead stacks" are removed after Level 3? When I say "dead stacks", I mean players who have either bought in (or qualified) for a live tournament but have not turned up for various reasons.
    Posted by Kaidus
    "Dead stacks" should NOT - ever - be removed from the Table in Live Tourneys, they are simply blinded away. Any Venue that removes dead stacks (& I have been to a few!) has no idea what they are doing, & are breaking the Rules of Tournament Poker. My advice if that happnes would be to go elsewhere, to a Venue that understands Poker.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : I don't know of any Gilbert Harding in the family.
    Posted by harding10
    That's a shame in some ways - Gilbert Harding was THE most interesting & fascinating man, he was on the hit TV Show (which we NEVER missed, it was the highlight of the week) "What's My Line", in which the contestant mimed (to camera) their job, & the Panel had to guess what it was.

He was also commonly known as "the rudest man in Britain". After a speech by a guest at a wedding praised both the bride & groom, Gilbert retorted "you should know - you have slept with them both".

He died, tragically early in about 1960, aged barely 50, IIRC. 

His Wiki page is here.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Harding
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Tikay, I wonder if you could pass on to the "Suits" a complaint I have concerning tonights 7.00pm freeroll.  I sat down expecting to have an easy first 30 minutes or so only to find that there were five, yes FIVE other active players on my table.  I think this is an absolute disgrace and something should be done to rectify this so that it doesn't happen again.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Tikay, I wonder if you could pass on to the "Suits" a complaint I have concerning tonights 7.00pm freeroll.  I sat down expecting to have an easy first 30 minutes or so only to find that there were five, yes FIVE other active players on my table.  I think this is an absolute disgrace and something should be done to rectify this so that it doesn't happen again.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    Steve!
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    LOL
  • edited September 2010
    I think their all away because  they are all in the forum complaining about away players instead of playing lol 
  • edited September 2010
    From now on I'm going to combat the away players by pretending that I'm present
  • edited September 2010
    like playing free roll credit crunch  some times dont get in till 7 .10 dont mind people sitting out but they should give warning one hand earlier they are sat back in not sit when they hit  we all raise to get rid of away players it becomes a habit  only once got 5 sit outs won  nearly every hand folded once gets to you on sky   won two 50 pound free rolls today  whats the odds
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: PLayers Away : Yes YB, I understand that, but it does not address my problem. What I need to try to understand is WHY it upsets people that there are "away" players.--
     & the first 500 to "register" qualify to go grab them, then as far as I'm concerned, the less opposition I face, the better. Why would I want all 500 to turn up? Less poker players means more chips. Less Tesco customers meanz more beanz. That's the disconnect I have, I can't grasp why it is perceived to be a problem.
    Posted by Tikay10
    to  murphino, the soots tk and all-- 
     i think the answer to the murphino question is being misconstrued here and not being taken seriously or not being understood--

his point im sure is--
    yes he is refereeing to the free-rolls but in the main the tournaments are 6 seater--
    so to that fact alone--this creates more action--wider hand range--
    as we  found out in the august festival most were filled to the maximum of 2000--
    however in the main you would find yourself playing heads up against one other or two at best over the first hour because as tk rightly says--
    people were registering way in advance to play but weren't always available come the start after all they were free so no lose one way or the other if they didn't turn up--
    consequently they became a c'rap shoot--

the same can happen in paid 6 seater tournaments here--
    it can also be said--
    that at the start maybe two players have sat out waiting for a level or two to pass--
    a tactic used by some--
    (wait a few levels then come smashing all-in moves--good poker that is)
    however tactics are a part of any game or sport so there shouldn't be a problem on that score--

the whole point is--
    with 6 seaters and one two or three players not at the table --for the other players who are there it's not a game of poker anymore  its a c'rap shoot at best but in most cases its bingo--

to conclude-- in free-rolls the best solution would be to do what other major sites do--
    if your not at your seat and played one hand after15 min- they stop the clock and remove the away players-- 
    it doesn't affect the prize money-that's guaranteed--
    it also gives everyone a fairer chance to play the game--

finally the best games here appear to be the tk deep stacks 10 seated--
    with those kind of tournaments it doesnt matter if a couple of players are sat out --there are still 8 playing--

however with the new down-loadable software arriving in the next month or two im sure there will be some teething problems-- however i would also suggest that this business of 6 seater with one or two aways is a major contributor to why so many players visit the site but leave for other pastures because the want play a decent game---

i'm sorry if this is post is going to upset the soots and tk --im only speaking the truth--

the august freerolls were great fun and the chat (when someone was there) was funny to--
    good luck --
    this post wasn't ment to offend anyone--im just telling it as i see it--
    ive nothing to gain by saying otherwise--

• edited September 2010

Thank you Batman for that exhaustive reply. In particular, I need to respond to this.....

"....i'm sorry if this is post is going to upset the soots and tk --im only speaking the truth--....."

It most certainly does NOT upset me, & nor, I assume, Sky Poker.

Sky Poker ran a Freeroll Festival for a variety of reasons, two of which were to generate goodwill, & attract new Clients. So when a lot of those new Clients complained at the fact that players were "away", they needed to try to find out WHY those players were upset, & what they could do, if anything, to address their concerns.

So no, any feedback is welcome, & in fact, as I'm sure you will have worked out by now, I've deliberately been "working" this thread to tease out as many possible explanations as I can.

So your take is most welcome, & appreciated. There is NO argument here, it's a debate, (an entirely different thing) designed specifically to improve the perception & reality of Sky Poker. 

"....however i would also suggest that this business of 6 seater with one or two aways is a major contributor to why so many players visit the site but leave for other pastures because the want play a decent game---....."

I'm sure it was unintentional, but that's very misleading. There will always be churn on any Online Poker Room, but the churn on Sky Poker is way, way below the industry average.

As you will have seen yesterday, yet another Online Room - 888 Holdings - reported dramatically lower poker traffic. This follows similar trading statements reporting falls of between 13% & 49% in a number of Online Rooms, notably Party, Ladbrokes & i-Poker. Every Online Room except one has suffered dramatic traffic declines in 2010.  The one exception is Sky Poker.

You make good points, & the whole purpose of this Thread is to listen to Clients, & try to improve the product. So your contribution was most welcome, & does not offend in any way. 

As to your suggestion that Murphino's Post is not being taken seriously, well in my case, it most certainly is, hence all my replies to try to understand why he was so upset. Others have injected humour, which, really, is fair & reasonasble, as it's a poker forum, after all, & we play poker & contribute to Forums for fun.

Good luck at the Sky Poker Tables, & I hope to cross swords  - or capes? - with you soon.
  • edited September 2010
    I understand that many players register and then, for one reason or another, do not turn up but I CANNOT understand why these players do not have the common decency to DE-REGISTER before the start time, allowing others to take their place.

When registration is open for these Freerolls, would it be possible for SKY to pop up a box politely asking the player to come back and de-register if they know they will not be able to play ?  After all, it only takes a few seconds.
  • edited September 2010
    Donut64 as sat back in.
  • edited September 2010
    yes tk i appreciate the reply and agree with all the points you make concerning the decline of the online poker industry in general--
    i believe the recession and kick back after the election-- plus uncertain government polices is more to do with decline--
    its tough in all industry right now and so giving customer a good feel experience is vital to maintain custom for all business and shopping centres--

my main point however was   how to try and explain the thinking of players who find themselves at a 6 seater table with maybe 2 or 3 absentees--
    if it were a 10 seater with 2 or 3 absent no one would think about or see a problem--
    as i said previously it sitting 2 or 3  handed that changes the whole complex of the game--

if it were cash games then that's no problem i personally don't like playing 10 seated then--
    in fact i prefer 5-6

all i was trying to explain was my view of the reason why players found it frustrating in tournaments--

that all said i enjoyed that august festival and thought it an excellent gesture and marketing exercise from skypoker--
    roll on the next festival well done and thank you--
    batman is coming soon-- (at a cinema near you)