You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i of called with pocket fives???

13»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    bad manners, alrite daveyzz
  • edited June 2009
    look at it this way!!!! you would have called with QQ in a shot and if he s got AK suited , your still racing ,i know the board could pair etc, but its still a race i woulda called for sure , to win tournys you gotta win races!!!! and you probably went in a 65% favourite!!!
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives???:
    look at it this way!!!! you would have called with QQ in a shot and if he s got AK suited , your still racing ,i know the board could pair etc, but its still a race i woulda called for sure , to win tournys you gotta win races!!!! and you probably went in a 65% favourite!!!
    Posted by TAXMAN
    Yes, we would all Call here with Q-Q & happily walk into A-K, because it's the same race.

But it's not the same race.

When we contemplate Calling with 5-5, how do we know we are not going to walk into an Overpair? And then we are almost dead.

With Q-Q that's VERY unlikely, & ungetoffable, with 5-5, it's entirely possible, alnost probable, & THAT is why it's such a Bad Call imo.

A Race, yeah, that's one thing, but an Overpair is a different kettle of fish altogether.

If I have 17 x BB & Call for my Tourney with Fives, I'm gonna look - & feel - pretty dumb when my man Tables an overpair.

It's all very simple to me - I want to play pots on MY Terms. I put my chips in when it suits me, & I MAKE action. I do NOT want to react to the actions of others.
  • edited June 2009
    As an unqualified poker learner,I intend to impart my opinion from a position of logic.Many people when watching the Open on television feel that is very easy to analyse poker hands when you can see all the cards,much more difficult when you can only see your own.I believe that many people have answered this question on that basis.In the knowledge of all the facts.The raisers hand,the callers hand and even the outcome.In my humble opinion the only way to judge whether or not this decision was correct,is to only take into account the information that was available at the time the decision was made.
    Daveyzz had obviously played well up to this point,amassing a good chip stack,and an excellent position in the later stages of the tournament.The very stage where  decisions make the difference between fame and fortune, and tragedy.Every decision at this stage can be life or death.He looks down and sees pocket fives.The SB pushes.He has to commit most of his chips. Is it a steal?Does it matter?With the pocket fives you must expect two overcards at best,an overpair at worst.If he has an overpair youre dead,if it is only overcards youre gambling most of your chips.
    You have to find a better spot and get them in first,you can only call in this situation with a monster.To call was criminal.
    HAYSIE
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives??? : wot paid? still think its a bad call but if u thinkin "going 4 the win"then maybe understandble, but if u thought tht there would be no thread
    Posted by Blight1
    hi blight 27 paid and i was on £533  so i did go for the win but i should of kept my head and folded for a better situation which is what i will be doing next time!!
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives??? : hi blight 27 paid and i was on £533  so i did go for the win but i should of kept my head and folded for a better situation which is what i will be doing next time!!
    Posted by mrsmarley
    this is daveyzz btw (on wifes account)
  • edited June 2009
    would he have pushed all in in the small blind with a decent pair????? probably not with only the bb to act, im afraid the gambler in me  would have called his all in,
  • edited June 2009
    Posted by TAXMAN
    Purely maths based answer.

a/ What % of hands have you dominated holding QQ? Very little
    b/ What % of hands have you racing holding QQ? Very little
    c/ What % of hands do you dominate holding QQ? Everything that hasnt got an A or a K in the random hands holding.

Flip this situation with 55

a/ 66-AA ...
    b/ 85% of the deck have at least 1 over card.
    c/ Hardly any, and only 22-44 would be likely in this situation.

Also what range of hands would your opponant be pushing with ? The probablilty that its AA KK or AK is so small that you can feel confident to call with QQ. And also knowing you cannot be eliminated is also a big factor in calling with QQ.
    But with 55 the senario is so different that thinking of the type of range your opponant pushs with there, the % of hands that your are dominating is so small that the call would be a total gamble in the dark.

If in doubt , let maths decide.

This is a Live 45min clock deepstack mtt. Grand final. Proberbly biggest of davezz life. I know he regrets the call, but hes gonna be a better player because of it.

Now there are certain situations where this call maybe appropriate. Online clocks are usually turbo 8 min blinds, if he had a smaller stack that posting the blind gave him to odds to call, if he had a mega chip stack, if he was heads up for the title the odds would point towards calling. These are all arguments for a call given a different situation, maybe some of these other situations are all folds too, just catagorically in davezz position it was a fold no doubt about it.

Just think about the eventualities.....

Call and win the pot, giving you 300,000 chips.
    Call and lose the pot, giving you 100,000 chips and tilting you to stack off the rest of your chips in next hand.
    Fold and lose 10,000 chips leaving you with 160,000 and a whole extra round to find a better situation than 55.
    Cant call in the dark with 55, but you can sure go all in 1st with them and you get people to lay down some better hands than 55 with 160,000 for sure.

Liam