You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED..........

Comments

• edited September 2010

Gareth & I have just exchanged further notes elsewhere, & he understands the position completely. It's such a shame the way the thing has evolved, but it is what it is now, the clock cannot be turned back, & Gareth's latest note makes it clear he understands fully.

There are two "if only's" here, but it's too late now.

At least we can all learn from it.

• edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED..........:
    Gareth & I have just exchanged further notes elsewhere, & he understands the position completely. It's such a shame the way the thing has evolved, but it is what it is now, the clock cannot be turned back, & Gareth's latest note makes it clear he understands fully. There are two "if only's" here, but it's too late now. At least we can all learn from it.   
    Posted by Tikay10

YEP AGREED !
  • edited September 2010
    This is why I stick to the ribenna! lol
  • edited September 2010

Thanks for explaining Tikay. now  it`s  understandable to me . The self-exclusion button

(didnt know it existed til yesterday) is  there to protect  us and we Thank you for that. xx

• edited September 2010

Still missing him terribly in the BB house : (
  • edited September 2010

Yey! Gareth`s just Twittered me! Thank you hunni bunches x
  • edited September 2010

Well, even though it's not allowed, if he wants to get back on the forum, there's nothing stopping him.

Just make another account, don't deposit any money, don't play cards or bet. If they suss him out, and close his account, just make another. 

He has nothing to lose as long as he doesn't deposit any money, which is obviously the idea of self excluding in the first place.

Common sense is kooooooool ya know ;)

• edited September 2010
    Can Gareth still read the forum pages? or does it block him completely?
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED..........:
    Posted by emilyegg
    He can still read the Forum, & he tells me he is still avidly reading all the Forum threads, including this one.
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by emilyegg
    Gareth can still read the forum pages, just can`t respond.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED.......... : He can still read the Forum, & he tells me he is still avidly reading all the Forum threads, including this one.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry Tikay, only just saw this xx

+1
  • edited September 2010

Just as Badboy said, you'll deffo be missed on the big blind thread.

It was always good to play you at the table, so good luck with the poker and the horses!
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks Tikay.....and chin-up Gareth, at least you still have the forum to read mate, maybe you can contact everyone and convey messages via one of the social-networking sites.
  • edited September 2010
     Just as Badboy said, you'll deffo be missed on the big blind thread.  It was always good to play you at the table, so good luck with the poker and the horses!
    Posted by Norbit
    +1 xxx
  • edited September 2010
    hahahaha...Gareths comment to me on facebook...
    "pffttt @ ribeena"
    ....he makes me laugh even when hes not here!

• edited September 2010

OK GUYS/GALS GARETH JUST ASKED ME TO PASS THIS ON HOPE THE MODS

DONT MIND !

QUOTE GARETH :

Ive got no chance of getting my account back, its just something I have to accept :(

Please thank everyone for the lovley message they put on the thread you started, if anyone wants to keep in touch they can feel free to add me on facebook or on twitter.

• edited September 2010
    OK GUYS/GALS GARETH JUST ASKED ME TO PASS THIS ON HOPE THE MODS DONT MIND ! QUOTE GARETH : Ive got no chance of getting my account back, its just something I have to accept :( Please thank everyone for the lovley message they put on the thread you started, if anyone wants to keep in touch they can feel free to add me on facebook or on twitter.
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Thanks hunni.

Gareth and I have exchanged messages on Twitter  this afternoon xxx
  • edited September 2010
    Very sorry to hear, another evidence why you shouldn't drink while playing see this is worse then losing your bankroll and i feel bad for Gareth, especially as he was such a active part of the community

Cannot believe they cant overturn it, but unfair really as it is far too easy to self exclude but theres obviously nothing we can do about it unless.....

maybe start a petition with referances? although i do not know how to start one i would be more then happy to sign and im guessing would need to go to the gambling bodies

fair enough if was  1 month but 5 years is a bit extreme maybe we can get reduced to a few months

All the best Gareth

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited September 2010
    Very sorry to hear, another evidence why you shouldn't drink while playing see this is worse then losing your bankroll and i feel bad for Gareth, especially as he was such a active part of the community Cannot believe they cant overturn it, but unfair really as it is far too easy to self exclude but theres obviously nothing we can do about it unless..... maybe start a petition with referances? although i do not know how to start one i would be more then happy to sign and im guessing would need to go to the gambling bodies fair enough if was  1 month but 5 years is a bit extreme maybe we can get reduced to a few months All the best Gareth Kind Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    John,

We are ALL very sorry about this, none as much as Gareth, but everybody is upset. But there is NOTHING that can be done, a million petitions or protests won't make an iota of difference, & Gareth knows & understands this.

The Self-Exclude Option is there for a reason, & it is a VERY serious matter, people who become addicted to gambling can lose their home, their family, everything, so the system is in place for good reason. It bestows no benefit whatsoever upon the Business, quite the opposite, but it has to be designed the way it is.

The best that can come out of this sad tale is that people learn that once you self-exclude - & when self-excluding, I believe you can choose the duration - there is NO WAY of reversing the decision. 

I kid you not, I get more PM's, Texts, & e-Mails from players who have self-excluded than almost anything else, & I try to reply to every one. But the message is always the same - there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Ultimately, we must all be responsible for our own actions.

I have corresponded at length with Gareth, & he understands & accepts the position, & hopes that others will learn from it.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Tikay,

Thanks for your response, i do understand it mainly due to what you and Sky Rich have said i just think 5 years is a bit extreme and even if they let you maybe reduce to a year etc

personally although its not allowed i would just set up another account different email and if wanted to play poker different bank account, if not just keep it to use in the forum, worst of it is that someone can exclude from here but will be able to play other sites bit silly but obviously we cannot do anything

Big sympathies to Gareth really, although he understands and accepts but still must be very annoying etc

• edited September 2010

Sorry to here about this Gareth.I think it is very silly that this can be done so easily and is all encompassing.It was never the poker part of sky Gareth had a problem with but the rest(i.e betting on horses).Surely it should be possible to just exclude the part you have a problem with not all???  

• edited September 2010
    Sorry to here about this Gareth.I think it is very silly that this can be done so easily and is all encompassing.It was never the poker part of sky Gareth had a problem with but the rest(i.e betting on horses).Surely it should be possible to just exclude the part you have a problem with not all???  
    Posted by belsibub
    You can exclude from separate parts of the site m8. I excluded from SkyVegas, only done my nuts once on it but I knew that I wouldn't be going back there, so excluded just so I could see how this exclusion thing works.
  • edited September 2010
    And like Tikay says....Once its done its done. It is a bit like losing the key to a padlock...a proper heavy duty one at that.
  • edited September 2010
    Posted by belsibub
    I'm sorry Mr Belsibub, but that's so wrong, with respect. It is designed to be easy, so that those who really need it don't experience any problems using it. I don't think that qualifies as "silly" at all. SkyBet have a deal with GamCare to make self-exclusion accessible & easy - that's the whole point of it.

I'm really sorry for Gareth, & I've put a lot more work into the case than any of you will ever realise. But we need to understand this - Gareth is a grown-up, & he fully understands that he, & he alone, has to be responsible for his actions. Blaming the system for being "easy to use" misses the point entirely, I'm afraid. I'm not being rude here, but the point is very important.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Tikay, Thanks for your response, i do understand it mainly due to what you and Sky Rich have said i just think 5 years is a bit extreme and even if they let you maybe reduce to a year etc personally although its not allowed i would just set up another account different email and if wanted to play poker different bank account, if not just keep it to use in the forum, worst of it is that someone can exclude from here but will be able to play other sites bit silly but obviously we cannot do anything Big sympathies to Gareth really, although he understands and accepts but still must be very annoying etc
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Skypoker will be keeping an eye on his IP, even if he doesnt try getting back on,
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED.......... : I'm sorry Mr Belsibub, but that's so wrong, with respect. It is designed to be easy, so that those who really need it don't experience any problems using it. I don't think that qualifies as "silly" at all. SkyBet have a deal with GamCare to make self-exclusion accessible & easy - that's the whole point of it. I'm really sorry for Gareth, & I've put a lot more work into the case than any of you will ever realise. But we need to understand this - Gareth is a grown-up, & he fully understands that he, & he alone, has to be responsible for his actions. Blaming the system for being "easy to use" misses the point entirely, I'm afraid. I'm not being rude here, but the point is very important.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Maybe i did not write this in the best possible way.As a player who just plays for fun(low stakes) and has never felt the need to use these services so do not know how they work i apologise for my ignorance. 
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: HI GUYS/GALS SOZ TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS BUT 35SUITED.......... : Maybe i did not write this in the best possible way.As a player who just plays for fun(low stakes) and has never felt the need to use these services so do not know how they work i apologise for my ignorance. 
    Posted by belsibub
    No worriers belsi, & absolutely no need to apologise, we are having a discussion, not an argument, but I HAD to reply, as.....

1) It is extremely important that those who need to avail themselves of self-exclusion can use the facility quickly, & without problems.

2) That those who have had a beer or two, or just a bad night at the Tables, think twice before pressing the self-exclude Button.

Once someone self-excludes, the system will not allow them to change their mind. That's the whole point of it.

You playing any of tonight's Tourneys? If so, I hope we share Tables. Wednesday nights on Sky Poker are THE BEST!
  • edited September 2010

Can we change the "New Season Corner" into the "35suited Sports Corner".

He loved that section

• edited September 2010
    Gareth,
     Sorry to hear this problem has arisen, I wish you all the best, and hope that one way or tother a solution can be found!! Good Luck!!!!!!

There is many a back door, to many a bar, in many a town!!
    Also a front door is ALWAYS open to a New customer, at said bars!!!
    Come Halloween, many customers old and new, celebrate in the said bar wearing masks!!
    Then there is the wise old Barman, who turns a blind eye to the customers he trusts!!

Me...I always say total honesty is the best policy!!

On a lighter note, sorry gareth,

Do you reckon I could self-exclude from work for 5 years?
  • edited September 2010
    When i self excluded myself for 6 months (which i regreted the next day) i contacted customer support every single day asking for it to be removed, but nothing could be done :( didnt stop me playing poker because i just played elsewhere, with this day and age of online poker, self excluding on one site isn't going to stop you playing, just not nice that i couldn't play on the site i really wanted too, was a very long 6 months :(