You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

RIP Super 6......

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

Yes folks, that nice Saturday afternoon tournament a few of us liked to play has been transformed into a dreaded rebuy!!! Thanks for that Sky.
So in the 1st hour a maniac who will call with any two can still do their normal play, but if they miss, rebuy and do the same again! probability says they will hit one out of two times. Is this a way to attract new players to deposit and play for real?

Are some of the upcoming passwords going to be 'suckers', 'bingo', 'tax the poor' ??

And before all the normal brigade come on here to berate me moaning about a free roll, the micro players will understand my point whereas the bigger BR players will just not get it as they don't need to.

Very disappointed in this but I know nothing will change as Sky need to come up with more and more ways to finance the 'improved'  structure and TSP.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I know you're having a good moan and to be fair i agree

however...

this..

Are some of the upcoming passwords going to be 'suckers', 'bingo', 'tax the poor' ??

is hilarious

xx
  • edited November 2010

"berate" :)

Spend the money on increasing mtt guarantees sky, you know it makes sense !!!

Tha shunt get owt, for nowt !!!
  • edited November 2010
    I am one of those who usually come on here to defend the site, but in this case I do believe that Sky have got it wrong, mind you what won't stop me playing today OR tomorrows Fantasy football game lol.  Hopefully this will be a one off and next weeks games will be back to normal.

Steve
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6......:
    "berate" :) Spend the money on increasing mtt guarantees sky, you know it makes sense !!! Tha shunt get nowt, for nowt !!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    About what i expected.
  • edited November 2010
    I am one of those who usually come on here to defend the site, but in this case I do believe that Sky have got it wrong, mind you what won't stop me playing today OR tomorrows Fantasy football game lol.  Hopefully this will be a one off and next weeks games will be back to normal. Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    See my thread it's not.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes folks its thats time again on a saturday afternoon when Cruise has another moan.  We can all look forward to him repeating the moan in all other unrelated threads but in a slightly more sarcastic way... Tom - We all know you don't like rebuys, you are like a broken record ffs. Solution - don't fffing play em.
    Posted by Patching99
    Thank you for your reply, not. I am making a point for the smaller BR players as I am old school and feel that everyone should have a voice on here and express their views freely on this forum.

If you Sir, do not agree with any of this and have a issue with my posts/threads....

DONT EFFFFFFING READ THEM!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : See my thread it's not.
    Posted by belsibub
    Yep just seen that
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : Thank you for your reply, not. I am making a point for the smaller BR players as I am old school and feel that everyone should have a voice on here and express their views freely on this forum. If you Sir, do not agree with any of this and have a issue with my posts/threads.... DONT EFFFFFFING READ THEM!!!!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    ooooooooooooooohhhhh
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : Thank you for your reply, not. I am making a point for the smaller BR players as I am old school and feel that everyone should have a voice on here and express their views freely on this forum. If you Sir, do not agree with any of this and have a issue with my posts/threads.... DONT EFFFFFFING READ THEM!!!!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Theres that witty sarcasm again.
  • edited November 2010

Sky Poker is a business, they want to encourage people to spend money so the rebuy option in freerolls is completely understandable imo. There are shops that give away free samples, but they want you to buy what you are sampling. Its the same principle. Sky Poker are not a charity, they want people to pay for their service.

However, i do understand that having a rebuy option in all freerolls takes the enjoyment out of the game for some loyal low stake players and community members and obviously this is regrettable... the solution? I have no idea, but possibly (non rebuy) private freerolls if you earn a certain number of poker points in a month or something?
    applying to those who earn under 1k points a month i would suggest...  also the old community freerolls were good where you got in if you make a certain number of posts...

• edited November 2010
    In Response to RIP Super 6......:
    Yes folks, that nice Saturday afternoon tournament a few of us liked to play has been transformed into a dreaded rebuy!!! Thanks for that Sky. So in the 1st hour a maniac who will call with any two can still do their normal play, but if they miss, rebuy and do the same again! probability says they will hit one out of two times. Is this a way to attract new players to deposit and play for real? Are some of the upcoming passwords going to be 'suckers', 'bingo', 'tax the poor' ?? And before all the normal brigade come on here to berate me moaning about a free roll, the micro players will understand my point whereas the bigger BR players will just not get it as they don't need to. Very disappointed in this but I know nothing will change as Sky need to come up with more and more ways to finance the 'improved'  structure and TSP.
    Posted by MAXALLY
     +1 alan you have hit the nail on the head m8
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    Can't really moan tbh, sky is still giving us the chance to win money from nothing.
  • edited November 2010
    ANY FREEROLL THAT IS A REBUY IS JUST SO INCREDIBLE LOL AND INSULTING . I WOULD RATHER SEE SKY CANCEL THE WHOLE GAME THEN DO THIS . I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT A FREEROLL WAS A WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW PLAYERS TO MTTS AND TO POKER IN GENERAL. MAYBE IM JUST  TO OLD AND THE WORLD IS CHANGING.
  • edited November 2010
    Maxally and Pillowman spot on. Good posts
  • edited November 2010
    ANY FREEROLL THAT IS A REBUY IS JUST SO INCREDIBLE LOL AND INSULTING . I WOULD RATHER SEE SKY CANCEL THE WHOLE GAME THEN DO THIS . I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT A FREEROLL WAS A WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW PLAYERS TO MTTS AND TO POKER IN GENERAL. MAYBE IM JUST  TO OLD AND THE WORLD IS CHANGING.
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Correct me if i am wrong Pillowman but you, Alan and Bandicoot are not new players!

You may not like rebuys which is fair enough, i dont like Morissons so i shop at Sainsburys. I have made other suggestions in my earlier post about other non rebuy freerolls that can be introduced for loyal players and community members, and I have also explained why i believe that sky have made a business decision to introduce rebuys in freerolls! They need to encourage new players to spend their money HERE at sky poker so having affordable rebuy options makes perfect business sense. It gets players used to spending money!!!

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : Correct me if i am wrong Pillowman but you, Alan and Bandicoot are not new players! You may not like rebuys which is fair enough, i dont like Morissons so i shop at Sainsburys. I have made other suggestions in my earlier post about other freerolls that can be introduced for loyal players and community members, and I have also explained why i believe that sky have made a business decision to introduce rebuys in freerolls! They need to encourage new players to spend their money HERE at sky poker so having affordable rebuy options makes perfect business sense. It gets players used to spending money!!!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    You make some good valid points Greg so thank you for your sensible contribution to this thread.

However, why not just scrap the free rolls then if they are going to all turn into shove fests?. If it was a min buy in of say 50p or a £1 for a freeze out tournament then this would overcome the, IMO, the dressing up of tournament  'freerolls' when only players with a BR (no matter what size it be) will realistically be able to participate in them and go for the win.

I do agree with your point that the loyal smaller BR players be rewarded somehow by Sky Poker though.
    Freerolls maybe for those who reach 150points-350 points per month.

Regards,

Alan
  • edited November 2010
    Yes folks, that nice Saturday afternoon tournament a few of us liked to play has been transformed into a dreaded rebuy!!! Thanks for that Sky. So in the 1st hour a maniac who will call with any two can still do their normal play, but if they miss, rebuy and do the same again! probability says they will hit one out of two times. Is this a way to attract new players to deposit and play for real? Are some of the upcoming passwords going to be 'suckers', 'bingo', 'tax the poor' ?? And before all the normal brigade come on here to berate me moaning about a free roll, the micro players will understand my point whereas the bigger BR players will just not get it as they don't need to. Very disappointed in this but I know nothing will change as Sky need to come up with more and more ways to finance the 'improved'  structure and TSP.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Always fully in agreement with you on this Alan.

At least I won't have that last minute scramble to find the super 6 password anymore - not too fussed if I miss it from now on.

Shame, it was one of the best freerolls on the internet.

Now there are so many better "non-sky" options available to help boost the BR 

I'm still very much in Sky's corner but it pails into oblivion against other sites for catering for the micro player. Most of my play is now on another site which is completelty freezeout in its freerolls and only last month I was able to turn zero into $70 - it was a grind but that's the life of a micro player trying to build a BR. I'm on there so much I even forget ToT on a Monday night and completely missed Rich's Multiball tourney start because I was on a couple of final table elsewhere.

Take your eye off the site for the freerolls and you tend to lose the habit of visiting at all.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : You make some good valid points Greg so thank you for your sensible contribution to this thread. However, why not just scrap the free rolls then if they are going to all turn into shove fests?. If it was a min buy in of say 50p or a £1 for a freeze out tournament then this would overcome the, IMO, the dressing up of tournament  'freerolls' when only players with a BR (no matter what size it be) will realistically be able to participate in them and go for the win. I do agree with your point that the loyal smaller BR players be rewarded somehow by Sky Poker though. Freerolls maybe for those who reach 150points-350 points per month. Regards, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan

I completely understand what you and others are saying about the principle of rebuying in freerolls. But, it is still free to enter and there is no obligation to rebuy. I also agree that there is a lesser chance of winning if you don't take the option of the add-on (which is usually alot more than the starting stack to encourage add-ons) So the playability and enjoyment point is accepted and understood.

However, if you don't have a BR at all, bearing in mind as a new player these days you do get a free fiver and all sorts of new player bonus options, Then it is a bonus to be able to play in anything at no cost imo and to be unhappy about the playability is just something you will just have to stomach imo.

There is still free money if you can survive the donkey shove stage and get to the break with enough chips to not worry about having to add-on. This is possible by the way, i have done it several times in freerolls on here myself.

This having all been said there are some things i would like to be introduced/reintroduced for the benefit of existing regular players who have low bankrolls.

1. non rebuy freerolls for regular micro stake players who earn at least 100 points per month for example. if you fit into 100-200 you get an automatic £50 private freeroll at month end, 200-400, £100 freeroll and so on, up to 1000 points.

2. non rebuy community freerolls every month to encourage more people to post on the forum. (this worked great before!)

• edited November 2010
    Greg. Getting players'used to spending money here' Is one thing but expecting them to do It on a 'freeroll' seemes to me to be a contradiction in terms. They will In fact move on to a site that offers just that- a freeroll - nothing to Invest, maybe something to gain. After all, the players have had to Invest money Initially to earn the points In order to enter the freeroll so they are not entirely 'freeloading'. There Is no doubt that rebuys when used In the way that they were Intended  i.e to continue In a tourney after suffering a particularly nasty badbeat are a welcome extra, but unfortunately, these are nothing more than a get out of jail free card In freerolls and many will call over and over with any 2, spoiling the game for players that were hoping to test their basic skills before Investing further on the site. The super 6 has been a freeroll since It began. Not necessary imo to Introduce rebuys very much for my aforementioned reasons. May I just add Greg, that I have for a long time respected and admired you as a player, and this in no way a dig at you. I just like to see fair do's for all.
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by MAXALLY
    + another 1

Can,t remember the saying-  if its not broke it doesn,t need fixing or something

Basically why de-value a respected freeroll for a few extra pence to Sky and as Maxally said it does spoil the game for the players who arn,t gonna rebuy 

EDIT - just seen greggs post 2 above  - 2 ideas there worth looking at - but will they even get a mention or discussed by the suits - I think they should
  • edited November 2010
    Greg. Getting players'used to spending money here' Is one thing but expecting them to do It on a 'freeroll' seemes to me to be a contradiction in terms. They will In fact move on to a site that offers just that- a freeroll - nothing to Invest, maybe something to gain. After all, the players have had to Invest money Initially to earn the points In order to enter the freeroll so they are not entirely 'freeloading'. There Is no doubt that rebuys when used In the way that they were Intended  i.e to continue In a tourney after suffering a particularly nasty badbeat are a welcome extra, but unfortunately, these are nothing more than a get out of jail free card In freerolls and many will call over and over with any 2, spoiling the game for players that were hoping to test their basic skills before Investing further on the site. The super 6 has been a freeroll since It began. Not necessary imo to Introduce rebuys very much for my aforementioned reasons. May I just add Greg, that I have for a long time respected and admired you as a player, and this in no way a dig at you. I just like to see fair do's for all.
    Posted by BANDICOOT
    Thanks for your kind comments at the end Bandicoot, you make a convincing argument and i actually agree that making the super6 freeroll a rebuy is probably not necessary. But the choice not to rebuy or addon and to enter for free is still there and therefore they are still freerolls.

The effect that introducing rebuys to the super6/facebook freerolls will have in terms of the amount recouped/ vs player retention is not something we can easily predict. I can only assume that the sky suits feel that it is a benefit to them (they will make more money in the long run !) based on several factors. They will keep it this way to quote Sky Jordan "for the forseeable future" and i guess if it doesnt work they will put it back to how it was or remove/update replace with whatever they like.

If we dont like it we can express our views here or we can vote with our feet. All i know is that Sky do listen and they will make necessary changes in the future, but as you know they can't please everyone!

• edited November 2010
    I know you're having a good moan and to be fair i agree however... this.. Are some of the upcoming passwords going to be 'suckers', 'bingo', 'tax the poor' ?? is hilarious xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    It's against the forum rules to post passwords.  Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

:-)
  • edited November 2010
    I totally see the whole point of max's post and wd to him,i also feel that greghoggs ideas are vvg indeed and hope that they are fully noted by the suits.So all in all vwd to both of you,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by MAXALLY
    WAY IT IS M8Y !

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : Thanks Alan I completely understand what you and others are saying about the principle of rebuying in free rolls. But, it is still free to enter and there is no obligation to rebuy. I also agree that there is a lesser chance of winning if you don't take the option of the add-on (which is usually alot more than the starting stack to encourage add-ons) So the playability and enjoyment point is accepted and understood.   However, if you don't have a BR at all, bearing in mind as a new player these days you do get a free fiver and all sorts of new player bonus options, Then it is a bonus to be able to play in anything at no cost imo and to be unhappy about the playability is just something you will just have to stomach imo. There is still free money if you can survive the donkey shove stage and get to the break with enough chips to not worry about having to add-on. This is possible by the way, i have done it several times in freerolls on here myself. This having all been said there are some things i would like to be introduced/reintroduced for the benefit of existing regular players who have low bankrolls. 1. non rebuy freerolls for regular micro stake players who earn at least 100 points per month for example. if you fit into 100-200 you get an automatic £50 private freeroll at month end, 200-400, £100 freeroll and so on, up to 1000 points. 2. non rebuy community freerolls every month to encourage more people to post on the forum. (this worked great before!)
    Posted by GREGHOGG

EXCELLENT IDEA GOOD FOR SKYPOKER GOOD FOR SKYPLAYERS ,
    HOPE THIS GETS PASSED ON TO THE SUITS .

WD GREG
  • edited November 2010
    amen to that, i only play freerolls and i hate the bingo players its just wrong its not poker at all
  • edited November 2010
    amen to that, i only play freerolls and i hate the bingo players its just wrong its not poker at all
    Posted by rocky95
    I cannot get round the concept of someone complaining about the quality of poker in a freeroll when they don't play games for money too.

It's rather like buying a tesco value tin of beans for 9p and saying i dont really like salty beans with a weak poor tasting sauce. You know the answer, save up for a tin of Heinz beans (yummy but expensive) or continue eating cheap and nasty beans but accept them for what they are!

P.S thanks for the nice comments guys i do understand people who play for money (no matter how small) have frustrations with the rebuy option in freerolls and the effect this has on enjoyment, but it is what it is. Its free!

• edited November 2010
     hi guys im going to be compleatly honest with you all if any one thinks that posting moans or groans about any sky poker tourneys will make them cheaper for the sky members i think your wastered your time and ink
    sky is a bussiness its here to make money.i dont realy think they will mind if we play or dont play.
    there will always be people who deposit and spend. if it isnt us that plays there will be others.
    yes i agree this may sound silly to say .
    but i have  been playing on line poker for about 9 years i been on prety much every site you can think of
    probs even some you dont know about. its always the same they keep  it cheap untill  they get enought players then you find it starts to become more and more exspencive.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: RIP Super 6...... : Correct me if i am wrong Pillowman but you, Alan and Bandicoot are not new players! You may not like rebuys which is fair enough, i dont like Morissons so i shop at Sainsburys. I have made other suggestions in my earlier post about other non rebuy freerolls that can be introduced for loyal players and community members, and I have also explained why i believe that sky have made a business decision to introduce rebuys in freerolls! They need to encourage new players to spend their money HERE at sky poker so having affordable rebuy options makes perfect business sense. It gets players used to spending money!!!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    HI GREG , THIS DISCUSSION HAS NO AFFECT ON WHAT I PLAY OR WHERE I PLAY . IF MY MEMORY IS CORRECT I HAVE ONLY PLAYED THE SUPER SIX FREE ROLL ONCE BECAUSE I NORMALLY CHAT WITH THE GF ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON ( SHE LIVES ABROAD ). IM JUST TRYING TO PUT MYSELF IN THE SHOES OF A NEW PLAYER . PLAYING A FREE ROLL THAT IS A REBUY IS SURLY NOT A  GOOD WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW PLAYERS TO MTTS .TBH. I IMAGINE IT WOULD BE A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE  . WOULD THAT EXPERIENCE MAKE ME WANT TO PLAY FURTHER REBUYS AND/OR MAYBE BUY INTO OTHER TOURNAMENTS OR WOULD IT MAKE ME LOOK FOR FREE ROLLS ON ANOTHER SITE ?   LOVE AND PEACE