You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!!

Comments

• edited December 2010

I just watched a real epic 2010 movie called ,

THE ROAD

This really opened my mind up ,
    to how much we take our life's for granted .

As human beings and top off the food chain ,
    i feel it brings home our animal like instincts for survival .

BEWARNED : THIS MOVIE IS  DISTURBINGLY  HONEST AT TIMES .

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!!:
      I just watched a real epic 2010 movie called ,   THE ROAD This really opened my mind up , to how much we take our life's for granted . As human beings and top off the food chain , i feel it brings home our animal like instincts for survival . BEWARNED : THIS MOVIE IS  DISTURBINGLY  HONEST AT TIMES .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Great book. Very good film.

btw, Oldboy's on ch.4 tonight if anyone's interested. Can't recommend it enough,
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Great book. Very good film. btw, Oldboy's on ch.4 tonight if anyone's interested. Can't recommend it enough,
    Posted by bandini
    Seen Oldboy a few times, I honestly think that has the best fight scene in all of cinema, where he's fighting everyone on the landing - great story too.

Anyone suggest any other Oriental films thats pretty new? In the mood of a good film but completely disallusioned with Hollywood now - almost everything coming out of there in the last few years has been CGI-laden drivel and I can't stand it!! (Though, in fairness I do want to see The Road lol!)

/rant off

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Seen Oldboy a few times, I honestly think that has the best fight scene in all of cinema, where he's fighting everyone on the landing - great story too. Anyone suggest any other Oriental films thats pretty new? In the mood of a good film but completely disallusioned with Hollywood now - almost everything coming out of there in the last few years has been CGI-laden drivel and I can't stand it!! (Though, in fairness I do want to see The Road lol!) /rant off
    Posted by SALT1R3
    Darntootin be the man. Read his contribution to the following thread;

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3a5be55893-5627-4ab5-94d3-650c84300e2cDiscussion%3aa19d52ad-88bd-44bd-9b7e-c3cfd3a74eab&plckFindPostKey=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:5be55893-5627-4ab5-94d3-650c84300e2cDiscussion:a19d52ad-88bd-44bd-9b7e-c3cfd3a74eabPost:1597fa60-1b6c-4156-9240-a8123c769307
  • edited December 2010
    If anyone is interested Pink Flamingoes imo is a MUST WATCH classic to any would-be film connoisseur.
    It has a fantastic last scene that will possibly make you sick tho. Unless you don't mind the spectacle of Divine catching, then eating, dog ( nasty poodle ) ploopy. It is REAL DOG PLOOP BTW, I kid you not !
    V funny film. I wonder what Hartigan made of it ?   :)
  • edited December 2010
    "Drunken Master" 

An undisciplined young man is sent to live with his uncle, but ends up falling foul of a kung fu master and his pupils. Badly beaten, he receives training from his uncle in a powerful martial art - but to fight using this method, he has to be hopelessly drunk. Martial arts comedy adventure, starring Jackie Chan and Siu Tien Yuen

This sounds alot like me when I play poker, all joking aside.....I cannot play sober.

Has anyone seen this???? - It's on xmas night just before the cricket starts.
  • edited December 2010
    "Drunken Master"  A n undisciplined young man is sent to live with his uncle, but ends up falling foul of a kung fu master and his pupils. Badly beaten, he receives training from his uncle in a powerful martial art - but to fight using this method, he has to be hopelessly drunk . Martial arts comedy adventure, starring Jackie Chan and Siu Tien Yuen This sounds alot like me when I play poker, all joking aside.....I cannot play sober. Has anyone seen this???? - It's on xmas night just before the cricket starts.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol, will set my sky plus JJ !!

love Christmas tho, bit of time off work to catch up on some old favorites & tear-jerkers..'My Fair Lady' on in background on sun, [how similar to 'Pretty Woman'] just realised ! "Wooden'it be Laveellyy!!"

At The Opposite end of scale...Completley is appears... just read a review of a film in last weeks 'Time-out'
    which freaked me out!! Talk about the far east violent scenes this one takes the biscuit!! Not even seen it, the review was enough.......called  ..' A Serbian Film' !! Think its got to be seen to be believed its been made!

I remember seeing a film bout 20 years ago, think on Alex Cox's film 4 called 'Montenegro' i think, but this one seems many steps on down the sicko trail lol !! What do they bring em up on in those balkan countries i ask ya!! 

I aint puttin on here any of the so-called scenes, read about it yourselves !!!
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Great Christmas Day film :)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Well on that note if anyone is into a feel-good, family classic over xmas and Pink Flamingoes doesn't hit the right spot give Valhalla Rising a blast. You may just die laughing .....?   :)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : lol, will set my sky plus JJ !! love Christmas tho, bit of time off work to catch up on some old favorites & tear-jerkers..'My Fair Lady' on in background on sun, [how similar to 'Pretty Woman'] just realised ! "Wooden'it be Laveellyy!!" At The Opposite end of scale...Completley is appears... just read a review of a film in last weeks 'Time-out' which freaked me out!! Talk about the far east violent scenes this one takes the biscuit!! Not even seen it, the review was enough.......called  ..' A Serbian Film' !! Think its got to be seen to be believed its been made! I remember seeing a film bout 20 years ago, think on Alex Cox's film 4 called 'Montenegro' i think, but this one seems many steps on down the sicko trail lol !! What do they bring em up on in those balkan countries i ask ya!!  I aint puttin on here any of the so-called scenes, read about it yourselves !!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Not seen this yet either, but when i do it certainly wont be the British release which has been butchered by the BBFC - 49 individual cuts totalling over 4 minutes, import ftw!
  • edited December 2010
    Dead Mans Shoes Watch this film at least once/month and this youtube clip about once/week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjNLAU7zLQ amazing amazing amazing film edit the link has some quite rude language so if your like Doh and easily offended then don't click
    Posted by scotty77
    I Agree   one of my bests is Leon the professional, reservoir dogs, in to the wild oh and rush hour 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : I Agree   one of my bests is Leon the professional, reservoir dogs, in to the wild oh and rush hour 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Bet you also like 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid', Kris Krisofferson , James Coburn as Pat, and some 'hippy geezer' who played guitar/harmonica in a weird but great cameo, cant remem his name........
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Bet you also like 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid', Kris Krisofferson , James Coburn as Pat, and some 'hippy geezer' who played guitar/harmonica in a weird but great cameo, cant remem his name........
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Havent seen patt garrett and billy the kid but sounds good  , that hippy geezer that ur referring to well is simply a legend and if he composed a few songs for that movie .....well i m off to amazon, cheers
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Havent seen patt garrett and billy the kid but sounds good  , that hippy geezer that ur referring to well is simply a legend and if he composed a few songs for that movie .....well i m off to amazon, cheers
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Get yourself down there sharpish!! He did compose a few songs in it  if i recall, but he is brilliant in it too, also very young, if i recall thing film was 1973 so that makes the man.......? am sure u can tell me !
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Get yourself down there sharpish!! He did compose a few songs in it  if i recall, but he is brilliant in it too, also very young, if i recall thing film was 1973 so that makes the man.......? am sure u can tell me !
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    well he was born in 1941 so he was 32 still old for me lol

ps i did google his age lol
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : well he was born in 1941 so he was 32 still old for me lol ps i did google his age lol
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    young for me !! LOLOL
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : young for me !! LOLOL
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    LOL 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : LOL 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    But my narcotic experiments, make him look like Mary Poppins, and she could Fly !!

What a film !! What a Gal !!!!!

ps Whoami, have seen Leon great film....is that Leon the professional a film ..or did you mean two films, leon and The professional, cause i aint heard of that one! any good?
  • edited December 2010
    Leon: The Proffesional was the full title for Leon if i remember right.
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Well, kind of...

The film's original title is 'Leon'.  It was released in cinemas under this simple, one-word title in most territories, including the UK.

However, in the North American market, it was re-titled 'The Professional'.

Luc Besson's preferred, longer cut of the movie was only released theatrically in a few European countries, including France.  When this "extended director's version" was finally issued on DVD and Blu-ray it was released under the title 'Leon: The Professional'.

In either version, it's an amazing film - one of the best of the 1990s.  For the record, I prefer Besson's "extended" cut.

• edited December 2010
    Can't let Jean Reno films be brought up without mentioning 'Ronin'.

I remember seeing it in the cinema when I had just stared going to 15+ movies and thinking wow. I had no idea that 15+ was the point at which films actually started telling clever and complex stories not just showing sex and violence. Started a love affair with thrillers.

Never did find out what was in that damn case.
  • edited January 2011
    + 1 Red !!

Tonight [weds 5th jan], sky movies indie !

'City of God' must be seen!

I was in rio for 10 days, bout 18 years ago, played foottie tourney, [lost 9-1, lol,  to Universal, 2nd tier pro team's acadamy] met few local 'characters', away from beach front & luxury hotels very scary place, lol !

There was a lil' club called 'HELP' on front, very interesting! We we warned not to go there, but ended up there every nite at some point lol !

Only bout half our group got mugged at knife point , [no-one hurt], & we never saw any guns apparently we were lucky!

Picked up the 'rio derby' Flamengo v vasco de Gama, while i was there, most concerned have ever been at a footie match, before & after!!

Any way this film captures Backstreet rio !! pretty clear different world away from the Copacabana beach front & after nightfall !! really just like Sheperds Bush but the weather & girls[hopefully lol] were hotter !
  • edited January 2011
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Just spotted in a review, that the lil' girl star of 'leon', plays the lead role in 'Black Swan' just released, she obvs now in her twenties, got great write-up,  a 'ballet' world film, maybe not everyones cup of tea!!
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : Just spotted in a review, that the lil' girl star of 'leon', plays the lead role in 'Black Swan' just released, she obvs now in her twenties, got great write-up,  a 'ballet' world film, maybe not everyones cup of tea!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
     reply to ur previous post, yes i did mean leon great film btw,         the girl Natalie portman ...man shes hot (now ovb)
    ie she was also in V for vendetta, star wars, the other boelyn girl and in another great film Heat
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! :  reply to ur previous post, yes i did mean leon great film btw,         the girl Natalie portman ...man shes hot (now ovb) ie she was also in V for vendetta, star wars, the other boelyn girl and in another great film Heat
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    ya gone an changed ya piccy ain't cha!!

Like the quote. and it's from......?
  • edited January 2011
     Maybe Martin Sheen in ' Badlands'.. that's a one bottle wine guess lol !!
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Aint seen a 'Film' thread for ages!! : I Agree   one of my bests is Leon the professional, reservoir dogs, in to the wild oh and rush hour 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    watched this last night really enjoyed it ty guys .
  • edited January 2011
    Yesterday was a 5 film day (I blame the hangover):

1.  Frost/Nixon (very good)
    2.  Lions for Lambs (ditto)
    3.  I Love you Man (funny)
    4.  Inglourious Basterds (superb)
    5.  (new) Sherlock Holmes (dunno as the DVD cocked up about 45 mins into it)

Gotta love Sundays!
  • edited January 2011
    Bump specially for Don !! Enjoy !!
  • edited January 2011
    Not often I'm in the mood for a good film but tonight I am :-) Think I'll put on 'Threads'