You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the s

Comments

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final:
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : But... this is true though? It's not a slight on STT players, it's a fact. The cash field IS much harder! It's made up of professional players who play for a living, where the STT field is made up of a lot of very good recreational players. I doubt many of the STT group play for a living, which means the cash players have hundreds of hours more experience. I'm speaking as an MTT and STT player myself, I admire the game and discipline these top cash players have, I wish I had half that ability. I think on their day a good STT player can win any tournament- the difference is cash players tend to bring their A game on almost every occasion.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I have a huge amount of respect for the top cash players on this site also in terms of their ability and discipline and i too, wish i was as good as them.

On occasion though, i do feel that some cash players lack respect for mtt/stt players. But i dont want to start a debate on this, we will be here all day!

The cash field for the league mtt is obviously tougher, yes. But being tougher doesent mean that the stt players are mugs, far from it!

In a cash game, many of the stt players, including me, would get owned by the cash players. BUT, the final is NOT a cash game. It is a one off MTT, so i think the finals are more even than people realise!!

• edited January 2011
    I truly doubt anyone would call the STT players mugs, there's some extremely good players- I agree completely! and it's going to be tough to get through any of the fields. But, and I mean this with total respect because I've been playing them all lately and I know they have excellent game, if you offer me a table with Shanxta, 18and5, johnconnor and yourself, or a table with ljamesl, gliterbabe, lolufold and ajs (to name just 4, you could replace those with all the rest like browndog, dan, flash, etc etc) I know which one I'd pick, every single day. Doesn't mean you guys are bad or that I'd be in any way guaranteed to win, but I would fancy my chances far more. I'm sure you'd say the same.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final:
    I truly doubt anyone would call the STT players mugs, there's some extremely good players- I agree completely! and it's going to be tough to get through any of the fields. But, and I mean this with total respect because I've been playing them all lately and I know they have excellent game, if you offer me a table with Shanxta, 18and5, johnconnor and yourself, or a table with ljamesl, gliterbabe, lolufold and ajs (to name just 4, you could replace those with all the rest like browndog, dan, flash, etc etc) I know which one I'd pick, every single day. Doesn't mean you guys are bad or that I'd be in any way guaranteed to win, but I would fancy my chances far more. I'm sure you'd say the same.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Is there a table with Ozzie08, Dylan12 and DAIBOOT? If so i take that one?:)

Yes, you raise a fair point. None of the cash players you mention would call us mugs. I know a couple, who you havent mentioned, who would though

Anyway, im gonna play some dyms soon, sure you will be on my table to haunt me as usual lol.
  • edited January 2011
    Even if half the site complained about this it will not change in terms of RR's offering points.

Why ? Because sky are a business their to make money and they offer good money for them on a fast basis - its like the ideal money making machine for them.

The system is 100% flawed and it will not change until at least the next qualifying period because it won't be fair upon the first 12 days of play. I mean look at the difference as stated by a the micro stakes to the big stakes in the way sit and go points are offered.

I don't blame anyone for taking the RR route to get in the STT final if they feel that is the easiest field to beat for them. I would have been in that final last time round regardless and probably in the top 3 but I played a few just to make sure at the time early on.

People have to realise at the end of the day it comes down to an MTT where your AA can get cracked by a similar stacks KK all in pre and bam....your gone for all that effort. That's why I wont be putting in more effort to do so this time round because that method does not select the best MTT player from that group of 30. Playing that same MTT 5 times ? 10 times ? and averaging the position won't but would give a good idea based on average position.

Sky of course can't do this because of time and availabilities for everyone. We all know the rules and it's your choice whether to find loop holes or glitches because theirs always someone else that will and take advantage of it.

Good Luck qualifying all
  • edited January 2011
    Even if half the site complained about this it will not change in terms of RR's offering points. Why ? Because sky are a business their to make money and they offer good money for them on a fast basis - its like the ideal money making machine for them. The system is 100% flawed and it will not change until at least the next qualifying period because it won't be fair upon the first 12 days of play. I mean look at the difference as stated by a the micro stakes to the big stakes in the way sit and go points are offered. I don't blame anyone for taking the RR route to get in the STT final if they feel that is the easiest field to beat for them. I would have been in that final last time round regardless and probably in the top 3 but I played a few just to make sure at the time early on. People have to realise at the end of the day it comes down to an MTT where your AA can get cracked by a similar stacks KK all in pre and bam....your gone for all that effort. That's why I wont be putting in more effort to do so this time round because that method does not select the best MTT player from that group of 30. Playing that same MTT 5 times ? 10 times ? and averaging the position won't but would give a good idea based on average position. Sky of course can't do this because of time and availabilities for everyone. We all know the rules and it's your choice whether to find loop holes or glitches because theirs always someone else that will and take advantage of it. Good Luck qualifying all
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Nice post Ben

You were vul in the last league final m8. I'm sure with your persistence and ability you will get there eventually though.

I still like the idea of giving "sky vegas" points to peeps that play RR's rather than poker league points though. They could build up their vegas points and then exchange for cash to use on sky vegas. This would maintain interest in roulettes for the gamblers and resolve the poker league issue. And that money recycled into the sky system.
  • edited January 2011
    Your forgetting that will cost him £80 to do that... Posted by FlashFlush
    That's correct, but this person will be getting a good part of that back in CFP. Also it buys them 3 shots at a seat worth £220 in the Sky Sports double stack via the League Stars Freeroll (a Russian Roulette player won a seat this month), also a shot at the £2K of cash up for grabs in the quarterly TSP final.

FWIW I hate league points being awarded for RR, I moaned about it on this forum when I first joined because the RR players were taking all the big STT league cash prizes. However I'm pleased that cash players are using the rules to their advantage, a 50/100 cash reg deserves the big prize (TSP) a million times more than the RR guys.
  • edited January 2011
    If anyone needs a Russian Roulette partner for the grind lemme know  :D
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : Flash, Have you done any sums to show cost of rake through the qualifying period, versus average EV for qualifying for the final?
    Posted by jakally
    Hi Jakally

I have done very quick guesses/estimations. I think 9k points will be enough to comfortably qualify, You get 3 points per win so I will need to win 3k games (so play 6k).
    Estimating I win 50% of games and break even on buyins it will cost me 600 in rake. This however adds 6,000 points to my cash for points which added to my current total could be worth about £300, meaning if I make the final table I would of broken even (roughly). If I win a seat however this is priceless, it would give me the excuse to play full time (once again I've worked it out and makes very good sense) and as long as Sky were to keep renewing the 3 month contract could be worth ££,£££'s through buyins.

Anyway this is all if, buts and maybe's... Lets see what these 3 months bring, if it doesn't work out I'll go back to the cash route next quarter
  • edited January 2011
    Even if half the site complained about this it will not change in terms of RR's offering points. Why ? Because sky are a business their to make money and they offer good money for them on a fast basis - its like the ideal money making machine for them. The system is 100% flawed and it will not change until at least the next qualifying period because it won't be fair upon the first 12 days of play. I mean look at the difference as stated by a the micro stakes to the big stakes in the way sit and go points are offered. I don't blame anyone for taking the RR route to get in the STT final if they feel that is the easiest field to beat for them. I would have been in that final last time round regardless and probably in the top 3 but I played a few just to make sure at the time early on. People have to realise at the end of the day it comes down to an MTT where your AA can get cracked by a similar stacks KK all in pre and bam....your gone for all that effort. That's why I wont be putting in more effort to do so this time round because that method does not select the best MTT player from that group of 30. Playing that same MTT 5 times ? 10 times ? and averaging the position won't but would give a good idea based on average position. Sky of course can't do this because of time and availabilities for everyone. We all know the rules and it's your choice whether to find loop holes or glitches because theirs always someone else that will and take advantage of it. Good Luck qualifying all
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Great post xxx
    Oh and btw well done on taking down last nights OPEN
  • edited January 2011
    Good luck, you've done your homework and it all makes sense, I hope you make the team.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : Hi Jakally I have done very quick guesses/estimations. I think 9k points will be enough to comfortably qualify, You get 3 points per win so I will need to win 3k games (so play 6k). Estimating I win 50% of games and break even on buyins it will cost me 600 in rake. This however adds 6,000 points to my cash for points which added to my current total could be worth about £300, meaning if I make the final table I would of broken even (roughly). If I win a seat however this is priceless, it would give me the excuse to play full time (once again I've worked it out and makes very good sense) and as long as Sky were to keep renewing the 3 month contract could be worth ££,£££'s through buyins. Anyway this is all if, buts and maybe's... Lets see what these 3 months bring, if it doesn't work out I'll go back to the cash route next quarter
    Posted by FlashFlush

All this number crunching got me thinking about it a bit more accuratly and I think it actually makes more sense than I first realised....

If I play 6k games over 3 months, then thats average 2k a month. That will add 2k points to my C4P total, I estmate to make around 12k points, so adding that 2k will put me on 14k, this puts me between the 12k (£350) and 16k (£500) milestones, this will inspire me to then put a few more hours in on the cash tables to make the 16k mark and earn me the extra £150. With the 25% VIP bonus that will give me an extra $37.50 a month, so paying £200 a month rake on these RR's will potentially earn me £187.50 in C4P and therefor over the 3 months will only cost me about £35.

You will probably have to read that about 3 times to understand my jumbled up figures LOL.
  • edited January 2011
     going to register 30 BOTS and RR the hell out of the site this will guarantee me all places in the final....
  • edited January 2011
    Very Good Post and subsequent comments.

Now Sky have put such importance on the points awarded, they must realise they have to either review the way points are allocated or the way in which you can qualify to become a TSP Player.

The more you look at and consider the current system, the more flaws there appear to be.

Personally I was amazed to realise that after 3 1/2 hours play in the £33 Thursday night BH, I finished 13th out of 587 players and was awarded 4 league points for my troubles, whereas it is possible to play a 60p 10 player roulette mtt, finish 4th in little more than 5 minutes and win the same 4 league points.

Whether they intended to or not SKY are saying they are happy to have a TSP representative as someone who plays 60p roulette games just as much as someone who consistently runs deep in standard mtt events.

Abusing the roulette option to get further up the leaderboard doesn't seem right to me and surely defeats the object of trying to find the best players, particularly when we have the added proverbial kick in the balls of a final field with different starting stacks.

Apart from Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, the SKY suits are the only people I can think of, that thinks seeding the finalists, trying to win your biggest prize is a good idea!

Its a bit like the mighty Stoke City reaching the semi final of the FA Cup and then drawing Man Utd, but being told that Stoke must play at Old Trafford and Man Utd will be given a 2 goal start, because...... (we will think of something)!

Unbalanced starting stacks means, unbalanced play from the beginning, some players are forced to take risks when normally their natural game, the game they used for the last 3 months to get to this point, would not suit the situation, equally a short starting stack has virtually no chance of recovering from a pocket aces getting duped by a pocket kings hitting set scenario.

Equally, the larger starting stack can probably withstand up to 3 bad beats in the first hour without any real damage.

The concept of qualifying for TSP is excellent and one that SKY should be commended for and I don't have a problem with anyone who has qualified so far.

If my play / luck means I make the top 30 again, great, however for me, I won't bust a gut and increase the number of tournaments I play as I did last quarter, just to stay in that top 30.

I hope the TSP process will evolve and we can look forward to an improved league structure and a final qualifying event with a level playing field.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : All this number crunching got me thinking about it a bit more accuratly and I think it actually makes more sense than I first realised.... If I play 6k games over 3 months, then thats average 2k a month. That will add 2k points to my C4P total, I estmate to make around 12k points, so adding that 2k will put me on 14k, this puts me between the 12k (£350) and 16k (£500) milestones, this will inspire me to then put a few more hours in on the cash tables to make the 16k mark and earn me the extra £150. With the 25% VIP bonus that will give me an extra $37.50 a month, so paying £200 a month rake on these RR's will potentially earn me £187.50 in C4P and therefor over the 3 months will only cost me about £35. You will probably have to read that about 3 times to understand my jumbled up figures LOL.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Got a little confusing when we coverted to $'s ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Unbalanced starting stacks means, unbalanced play from the beginning, some players are forced to take risks when normally their natural game, the game they used for the last 3 months to get to this point, would not suit the situation, equally a short starting stack has virtually no chance of recovering from a pocket aces getting duped by a pocket kings hitting set scenario. 
    Posted by TheDart

the (short) stacks start with 200 big blinds.....and the clock is 15 minutes, hardly forcing you to take risks really, if the stacks were even then a set over set scenario would still knock you out or at least leave you with a chip and a chair anyway.

edit: if you see who won seats on team sky then the players who won the STT and MTT ones both started with the least amount of chips (4000) and ajs in the cash started with the 2nd largest in his but the final table the stacks were all deep anyway. therefore your argument would be invalid in suggesting the RR players have an unfair starting advantage as skill will benefit the other players with the structure, as for my opninion on players playing RR i dont care, waste of time imo, id rather put all that time into playing cash games and (if i dont run like gordon brown) earn a nice slice of pie.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, do you think it's fair that the person who busts a gut and gets 50k league points has the same chance as someone who scrapes in the end with 10k? The tournament should be about the mileage the player puts in, I have no problem with #1 having a bigger chance at winning.

The structure of the tournament means even with 4k, you still have ample chips to play a solid game, and if your game's good enough and you're lucky enough, you can win (robbie only had 4k stack, for example- and went on to win).
  • edited January 2011
    Well I am putting 20k down every night this week on the Bellagio cash table to see how many points I can rake up....... I do agree with Greg though that Sky should review this to make it a level playing field for all! Oh, just realised that the Bellagio table isn't free play!!! :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    am i missing the point here? firstly the "cash player" is playing within sky league rules,
    secondly,whenever these promo's crop up there is usually a spate of
    "it is favouring the big money players" type of threads.
    from what i can see it is a level playing field if a player with a £100 bankroll can get the same points for winning a game as a player with a £10,000 bankroll
    gl all
  • edited January 2011
    If your that desperate to play in a £1000 live tourney, you may as well just turn up and enter yourself, its probably cheaper and top 30 definately does not guarantee winning the thing and whether its stt, mtt, or cash final, they are all as good as each other - no matter who says otherwise! on a final point, who cares how players qualify as long as its within the rules, the set up for qualification from the outset was to get players to rake build for sky, and this rr way is not a loop hole its designed that way by sky to build rake lol, so why not do it the easiest way?
  • edited January 2011
    If your that desperate to play in a £1000 live tourney, you may as well just turn up and enter yourself, its probably cheaper and top 30 definately does not guarantee winning the thing and whether its stt, mtt, or cash final, they are all as good as each other - no matter who says otherwise! on a final point, who cares how players qualify as long as its within the rules, the set up for qualification from the outset was to get players to rake build for sky, and this rr way is not a loop hole its designed that way by sky to build rake lol, so why not do it the easiest way?
    Posted by loonytoons

1. TSP is more than 1 tournament buyin. You get that original buyin then your C4P doubled every month which would buy me into a lot of big tournaments, if I were to make it and stay on it would be worth 10's of thousands over time.

2. The 3 areas are not all as hard as each other. In no way am I saying MTT or STT are easy, thats just not in anyway the case. I just think I have a better chance playing 28/29 good recreational players than a field where probably more than 50% play this game for a living.

3. How is just clicking register and waiting not the easiest way? Do you think grinding for hours against profesional poker players is easier than £1 RR's????!!!

Just to add, in no way am i 'expecting' to win the TSP seat, that would just be firstly insulting and 2ndly naive. I'm not saying I feel I have a big edge over the STT players as that is not the case, I just think maybe there is  less of a % in the STT field that would own my soul over and over again.
    Also, I said this to Greg in reply to his PM,  I am not using this to win the STT league, I just want to comfortably qualify mid table and get my shot at the TSP seat.
  • edited January 2011
    I think the thing people need to get thier heads around is,    Skypoker are not giving anything away here,   even if someone makes the team they have to keep towing the line as in constantly playing weather they feel like it or not,   If they truly wanted  a player to represent skypoker in tounies then they should simply pick the best,  Imo the whole promo is insulting to the intelligent ,   You may get a shot at playing in a 1k tourny more than once if your willing to be manipulated into playing poker 24/7,   Me personally      I would rather play poker to win and any points I gain is simply a bonus.

When I say they are not giving anything away I mean that on other sites playing same voume one could buy themselves into a 1k tourny with the extra rake back they would get.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : am i missing the point here? firstly the "cash player" is playing within sky league rules, secondly,whenever these promo's crop up there is usually a spate of "it is favouring the big money players" type of threads. from what i can see it is a level playing field if a player with a £100 bankroll can get the same points for winning a game as a player with a £10,000 bankroll gl all
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    CBA to discuss this. It was my attempt to inject some humour into this thread before it overspilled and went off on the normal 5 tangents that they normally do. Sorry for posting....I will get back to area51 where I belong and leave all you know alls to it.
  • edited January 2011

Yes I know Robbie and Stan won with starting stacks of 4,000 and I agree the clock and structure were good.

I have been short stacked in enough tourneys to know how quickly you can turn things around, but you can't get away from the fact that having differing starting stacks will change the mindset of some players and change certain outcomes, you wouldn't normally see in a level playing field.

As for being fair to those players who put in the mileage, if the tournament is about rewarding those the put the most mileage in, then of course no need to change anything.

If the tournament is about opening TSP to a wider field, then I would argue the balance is wrong at the moment, probably at least 95% of the players on this site wouldn't be able to bust a gut to get the level needed to reach the top of the league, no matter how good or lucky their game is.

Personally I would give the cash prizes to those at the top of the league and have a winner takes all final.

If you have a quality MTT player of Flashflush's pedigree, who now thinks he needs to focus some of his time and cash playing roulette, surely something needs looking at?

• edited January 2011

Cheers for the reply Flash.

Will read through later, and may chuck a few more points  / questions in.

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : CBA to discuss this. It was my attempt to inject some humour into this thread before it overspilled and went off on the normal 5 tangents that they normally do. Sorry for posting....I will get back to area51 where I belong and leave all you know alls to it.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks bud

Down the corroder second door on the left,   Theres a whole bunch no one understands me in there,       please leave this thread to us know it alls
  • edited January 2011
    just had a look in s.scope , one player has already played today around 200 X  £1 roulette hu games , if he continues this today alone say he plays 800 games wins 400 . 400 x 3pts = 1,200 pts . crazy stuff , it makes a mockery of the points system .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    I saw someone sat at 45 RR tables at 4.30am the other morning!  :-O
  • edited January 2011

Now that most of the mid / high cash players will see,
      how easy it is to rr ones way through & also get a softer S&g mtt final,
     rather then the high stakes cash mtt final  .

I think a lot of these guys/gals will do same
    go down the rr route,
    Will this have a knock on effect ?
    If so ,
    will this start a bidding war ?
    He/she who plays most rr games get higher up table ,
    get more chips in S&g final ,
     giving themselves a better chance in final & why not it is set up that way.

When the dym guys/gals find that they are below top 30 because of
    the rr button pushers ,
    no doubt some will say i best go pushing rr buttons .

The last few days in this 3 months comp will end up in a push button rr game .
    A bold prediction by me that top 10 ,
    if not 30  in S&g league will get in from the rr button .

Its not the players that stink,
     its the rr 3 points per game  that does  .

My prediction is this will generate a lot of rake ,
    but will leave bad taste for the regular dym grinders who will be
    ousted, if they dont join in the final days pushing those rr buttons .

• edited January 2011

As someone said earlier, I think it got lost.....

You play in the league that u finished highest in - No good doing the RR's to come 20-30th in the sng league, if you're normal cash grind means you will naturally finish 1st-20th in the cash league.

Might face a conundrum at the end of the 3 months, if you're stuck, but playing more will mean you move higher in the cash league than you are in the stt league. lol.

Whole thing is abit farcial. 

2 tournys.

1 has 6k cash prize pool (same as the minor placings in the 3 tournys last time)

the other has 3 direct places on to team sky poker.

Top 30 in each league are allowed to enter one of the tournaments.

Sorted.

• edited January 2011
    A few points :

Cost of Playing RR's
    If you are  a winning cash player, the time taken to play RR's could have been used to play cash (including more CFP).
    I therefore don't totally accept that the cost of playing these is largely offset by the reverse benefits of additional CFP's etc...

Value of Qualifying for TSP Final
    Say it does cost £600 to qualify, by playing RRs, that is like paying £600 to enter a tourney where the second prize is only £700.
    Doesn't seem too sensible to me.

Value of TSP
    This varies from person to person, but given that, as far as I understand, it is only guaranteed for 3 months, I believe it is easy to overvalue. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a member of TSP, and am jealous of the select group who are, but, like all things poker, it is about investment versus chance of, and level of return.

Cash Prizes
    Make it a flat £200 2nd - 8th in each final, and give the winner £200 also, and you get rid of anyone wanting to come 2nd rather than 1st.

Variable Starting Stacks
    As these are a reward for something invested (time / rake) and help Sky get a better return from the promotion, I think this is ok. I personally was conscious of league position through December, and it may have impacted on how much I played.

RR's
    Playing these to make TSP, is not dissimilar to a losing player playing chasing Cash For Points.
    The money you lose playing the games is almost certainly going to exceed the value of the benefits you are trying to attain.

Finally Flash, I wouldn't advise making TSP the tipping point between working / giving up your job.
    When you have proven over a decent period that you are winning enough to live comfortably, then consider making the change. Promotions such as this should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
  • edited January 2011
    A few points : Cost of Playing RR's If you are  a winning cash player, the time taken to play RR's could have been used to play cash (including more CFP). I therefore don't totally accept that the cost of playing these is largely offset by the reverse benefits of additional CFP's etc... Value of Qualifying for TSP Final Say it does cost £600 to qualify, by playing RRs, that is like paying £600 to enter a tourney where the second prize is only £700. Doesn't seem too sensible to me. Value of TSP This varies from person to person, but given that, as far as I understand, it is only guaranteed for 3 months, I believe it is easy to overvalue. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a member of TSP, and am jealous of the select group who are, but, like all things poker, it is about investment versus chance of, and level of return. Cash Prizes Make it a flat £200 2nd - 8th in each final, and give the winner £200 also, and you get rid of anyone wanting to come 2nd rather than 1st. Variable Starting Stacks As these are a reward for something invested (time / rake) and help Sky get a better return from the promotion, I think this is ok. I personally was conscious of league position through December, and it may have impacted on how much I played. RR's Playing these to make TSP, is not dissimilar to a losing player playing chasing Cash For Points. The money you lose playing the games is almost certainly going to exceed the value of the benefits you are trying to attain. Finally Flash, I wouldn't advise making TSP the tipping point between working / giving up your job. When you have proven over a decent period that you are winning enough to live comfortably, then consider making the change. Promotions such as this should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
    Posted by jakally

Brilliant post

• edited January 2011
    im going to start playing RR's because i think it would be mega lolz