You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the s

Comments

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final:
    A few points : Cost of Playing RR's If you are  a winning cash player, the time taken to play RR's could have been used to play cash (including more CFP). I therefore don't totally accept that the cost of playing these is largely offset by the reverse benefits of additional CFP's etc... Value of Qualifying for TSP Final Say it does cost £600 to qualify, by playing RRs, that is like paying £600 to enter a tourney where the second prize is only £700. Doesn't seem too sensible to me. Value of TSP This varies from person to person, but given that, as far as I understand, it is only guaranteed for 3 months, I believe it is easy to overvalue. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a member of TSP, and am jealous of the select group who are, but, like all things poker, it is about investment versus chance of, and level of return. Cash Prizes Make it a flat £200 2nd - 8th in each final, and give the winner £200 also, and you get rid of anyone wanting to come 2nd rather than 1st. Variable Starting Stacks As these are a reward for something invested (time / rake) and help Sky get a better return from the promotion, I think this is ok. I personally was conscious of league position through December, and it may have impacted on how much I played. RR's Playing these to make TSP, is not dissimilar to a losing player playing chasing Cash For Points. The money you lose playing the games is almost certainly going to exceed the value of the benefits you are trying to attain. Finally Flash, I wouldn't advise making TSP the tipping point between working / giving up your job. When you have proven over a decent period that you are winning enough to live comfortably, then consider making the change. Promotions such as this should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
    Posted by jakally

well said, awesome post.

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final:
    A few points : Cost of Playing RR's If you are  a winning cash player, the time taken to play RR's could have been used to play cash (including more CFP). I therefore don't totally accept that the cost of playing these is largely offset by the reverse benefits of additional CFP's etc... Value of Qualifying for TSP Final Say it does cost £600 to qualify, by playing RRs, that is like paying £600 to enter a tourney where the second prize is only £700. Doesn't seem too sensible to me. Value of TSP This varies from person to person, but given that, as far as I understand, it is only guaranteed for 3 months, I believe it is easy to overvalue. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a member of TSP, and am jealous of the select group who are, but, like all things poker, it is about investment versus chance of, and level of return. Cash Prizes Make it a flat £200 2nd - 8th in each final, and give the winner £200 also, and you get rid of anyone wanting to come 2nd rather than 1st. Variable Starting Stacks As these are a reward for something invested (time / rake) and help Sky get a better return from the promotion, I think this is ok. I personally was conscious of league position through December, and it may have impacted on how much I played. RR's Playing these to make TSP, is not dissimilar to a losing player playing chasing Cash For Points. The money you lose playing the games is almost certainly going to exceed the value of the benefits you are trying to attain. Finally Flash, I wouldn't advise making TSP the tipping point between working / giving up your job. When you have proven over a decent period that you are winning enough to live comfortably, then consider making the change. Promotions such as this should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
    Posted by jakally
    Well said

You said perfectly what I was trying to say earlier.

I went the other way though,   I have looked at the poss benifits and decided to just play my game when I feel like it,    If I want to take a shot in a big tourny then ill pay,    people can make tsp and be a loser or maybe just showing a profit from rake
  • edited January 2011
    I really dont see why anyone would have an issue with this.

Anyone who decides to go down this route is well within their rights to do so.

I know that if I want to qualify into TSP then my route is gonna be via MTT.  And for this quarterly qualification, I will be grinding games like 60p chip and chiars to get there with a big chip stack.

The cash one is so so much harder than both STT/MTT.  It's not beind disrespectful to either groups of players, its a simple fact that they aren't as good.  Also there are many STT/MTT players who don't want/know what TSP is and shoult they make the final table then they won't be playing for the win.  In the cash tournament, I would say that every single player will be going for the win.

• edited January 2011
    I agree with your points Jakally.

I don't take time out of playing cash to play them, I either do them when I get home before I play, or after I have done a cash session. Its more something to pass the time.

There are a lot of people that play these RRs some of which are high profile players on this site, so I'm suprised how how much feedback this thread has received as this has been going on for a long time.

In terms of my comment about playing full time, I have done the maths and I would be able to do it, what I meant is if I got onto TSP it would be a good excuse to take that step. You need to put in a lot of hours to make TSP worth it and in my opinion only really benefits people who play fulltime or who are very serious about poker.

Like I said in my other thread, I will just use this as a trial period, there is no point me stopping now or it really is money down the drain.

GL at the tables and see you in Luton...??
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with your points Jakally.   I don't take time out of playing cash to play them, I either do them when I get home before I play, or after I have done a cash session. Its more something to pass the time.   There are a lot of people that play these RRs some of which are high profile players on this site, so I'm suprised how how much feedback this thread has received as this has been going on for a long time.   In terms of my comment about playing full time, I have done the maths and I would be able to do it, what I meant is if I got onto TSP it would be a good excuse to take that step. You need to put in a lot of hours to make TSP worth it and in my opinion only really benefits people who play fulltime or who are very serious about poker.   Like I said in my other thread, I will just use this as a trial period, there is no point me stopping now or it really is money down the drain.   GL at the tables and see you in Luton...??
    Posted by FlashFlush

I think this thread has been a good thing.... raised an issue (or given it a bigger profile) that is obv a concern to  to some people.

Hope to be in Luton... be good to catch up with everyone (and abuse TK obv).

• edited January 2011
    raised a profile..... but nothing done by sky

i started a post earlier but then page froze so cant be bothered to type out all again

Basically i think as a whole RR belong in sky vegas, and if at worst case they are on sky poker too then i think they should get nil points! obviously its not going to change because they make too much from these apparentally but i have seen RR getting more and more busy this month which is probably dude to TSP so i reckon at least 10 of STT will have got there by playing RR which isnt fair, i personally have no chance unless i go on sick run in tourneys as i work so i am a recreational player.

Suits seriously sort this out, although it doesnt affect me its a bit of a joke
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : CBA to discuss this. It was my attempt to inject some humour into this thread before it overspilled and went off on the normal 5 tangents that they normally do. Sorry for posting....I will get back to area51 where I belong and leave all you know alls to it.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    ahh sorry max.......my post was not directed at your post,i just clicked on it to reply to op,so it was only directed at the op,(you do belong in area 51 tho :) )
  • edited January 2011
    After all the good points made it still comes down to the fact that RR get paid too many points per amount raked, and that nl40-100 pays the same (2 points per hand) and nl200 pays 3....... 

hopefully with all the discussion and outrage at RR inclusion Sky will get round to adapting the promotion. I doubt it though.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : am i missing the point here? firstly the "cash player" is playing within sky league rules, secondly,whenever these promo's crop up there is usually a spate of "it is favouring the big money players" type of threads. from what i can see it is a level playing field if a player with a £100 bankroll can get the same points for winning a game as a player with a £10,000 bankroll gl all
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Dave, ofc hes doing nothing wrong! I never said he was, i just used it as an example to highlight the unfair league points system. I have apologised to flash personally as i felt bad "outing" his plan, but needs must.

And as for small br players yes, in the stts, its great cos there are 7 league points for stts from £1.15 to £5.50. Rob qualified to tsp from £2 stts! fantastic stuff. Im all for the smaller br players, because, i am one of them!!

My main point is that RR's are NOT POKER! so why reward people who press buttons with 3 POKER league points when if someone plays a 3400 hu sng, they only get 4 league points! Give em gambling tokens for sky vegas or summit, but not 3 poker league points!!!

Beane understands!
  • edited January 2011

Jez give it a rest Greg.

It's not how people get on the team it's how they stay on it that matters, playing £2 STT's won't put squat in a team members live account so after they bust out of the live event they qualify for what's next?

This programme is designed to a blue print and that blue print is Gliterbabe. To make it work you need to grind a ton of cash to gain a big bonus which sky double sticking half of it in your live account, if you don't rack up the points you won't enter further live events. If you don't play cash and lots of it it you will be a 3 month wonder unless you get lucky in the GUKPT. The team will look like the top 6 /8 of the cash leader table within 12 months dependant upon the team size Sky want. Why would Sky retain a player who's live account would only get him into the £10 freeze out at his local Dog and Duck.

All this nonsense about RR is nonsense, Sky is a business RR's make good business sense and so does Team Sky Poker once it contains the correct members - those that create huge rake for the site not £2 a go STT ers who create 3/5ths of FA .

• edited January 2011
      Jez give it a rest Greg. It's not how people get on the team it's how they stay on it that matters, playing £2 STT's won't put squat in a team members live account so after they bust out of the live event they qualify for what's next? This programme is designed to a blue print and that blue print is Gliterbabe. To make it work you need to grind a ton of cash to gain a big bonus which sky double sticking half of it in your live account, if you don't rack up the points you won't enter further live events. If you don't play cash and lots of it it you will be a 3 month wonder unless you get lucky in the GUKPT. The team will look like the top 6 /8 of the cash leader table within 12 months dependant upon the team size Sky want. Why would Sky retain a player who's live account would only get him into the £10 freeze out at his local Dog and Duck. All this nonsense about RR is nonsense, Sky is a business RR's make good business sense and so does Team Sky Poker once it contains the correct members - those that create huge rake for the site not £2 a go STT ers who create 3/5ths of FA .
    Posted by stien
    Let's just cancel the mtt and stt leagues then, and let the bigger name cash players fight it out for TSP......

You are missing the point of the promotion. It is open to all regular players. Your attitude towards the smaller bankroll players stinks. Sky will not just dump someone from tsp cos they are not generating enough rake, they will support them.

We are all part of this community and we all have a chance of TSP... even you, sadly...

• edited January 2011

Greg,

I'm just stating the blindingly obvious. OK you tell me how will Sky support a £2 STTer who rakes little and therefore has nothing of a bonus to enter a meaningful live event. Do you think Sky out of the goodness of their heart will bankroll the guy, its not going to happen, if it ever did what would the other team members have to say when they are building their SPT live account by playing on the site and creating a ton of rake in the process.

I agree the promotion is open to all players but it is hard to see how anyone but the cash grinders will be able to build a live bankroll big enough to support live event entries and retain their position on the team.

As ever you miss the point, I guess in this case it's because you are one of the smaller bankroll players you constantly argue on behalf of, take off the blinkers and look at the bigger picture.

• edited January 2011
     Greg, I'm just stating the blindingly obvious. OK you tell me how will Sky support a £2 STTer who rakes little and therefore has nothing of a bonus to enter a meaningful live event. Do you think Sky out of the goodness of their heart will bankroll the guy, its not going to happen, if it ever did what would the other team members have to say when they are building their SPT live account by playing on the site and creating a ton of rake in the process. I agree the promotion is open to all players but it is hard to see how anyone but the cash grinders will be able to build a live bankroll big enough to support live event entries and retain their position on the team. As ever you miss the point, I guess in this case it's because you are one of the smaller bankroll players you constantly argue on behalf of, take off the blinkers and look at the bigger picture.
    Posted by stien
    An STT player could do it also.
  • edited January 2011
     Greg, I'm just stating the blindingly obvious. OK you tell me how will Sky support a £2 STTer who rakes little and therefore has nothing of a bonus to enter a meaningful live event.Do you think Sky out of the goodness of their heart will bankroll the guy, its not going to happen, if it ever did what would the other team members have to say when they are building their SPT live account by playing on the site and creating a ton of rake in the process. I agree the promotion is open to all players but it is hard to see how anyone but the cash grinders will be able to build a live bankroll big enough to support live event entries and retain their position on the team. As ever you miss the point, I guess in this case it's because you are one of the smaller bankroll players you constantly argue on behalf of, take off the blinkers and look at the bigger picture.
    Posted by stien
    I will wait and see how sky supports the smaller BR players that qualify for TSP. But i can assure you they will not be abandoned or looked down upon by the other members of TSP, or sky.

I get your point, i just don't share your cynicism.
  • edited January 2011
    Just my 2 pennies worth on this I think the rr are not going any where as its the carrot and donkey story sky dangle the nice juicy carrot of 4 league points (for a nice 10% rake) and the donkeys follow it.
    Just one for the sky superstars  who are doing the rr rote as they see it as an easiest route of the format, if the TSP was changed whould they stop the rr route and go back to the cash and when i man changed I mean canged in the following way.

I believe the cash layout was £6,000 for the 3 different leagues spread out amongst them, why dont they scrap the pay outs and have just 3 £2,000 payouts these will be paid to the top 3 finishers of the TSP and will be paid to them as poker money so they have to use it on sky poker which ever way they want wether it be cash, mtt of stt this works for both high br layers and small br playrs as it gives them both a good start to thier 3 month challenge.This would also stop people using the TSP as a high money freeroll and benefit the people that really do want the place on the TSP.

Dont have 3 separate tournements have all 90 players in 1 tournement spread over 3 days, 1 a day with your best 2 results counting to your final position this to me makes more sense but this is just my opinon and was wondering if it was like this would the likes of Flash go back to cash tables and leave the rr route.
  • edited January 2011

skypoker accomodate the smaller brs very well and this in undoubtedly thier success,   The players at the top like lolufold are vital to the site,  you only have to have noticed the fall in high stakes hu action since he has been busy winning elsewhere( pca) to see how important people like him are to skypoker as an insperation to the smaller brs on the site.

More important than the lolufolds of the poker sites are the continues flow of the peeps with small brs.   without them the site dies.

No one has done anything wrong as greg says,   But if this was my site I would address the issue.

Cut of the stream and theres no river

Peter

• edited January 2011
    Just my 2 pennies worth on this I think the rr are not going any where as its the carrot and donkey story sky dangle the nice juicy carrot of 4 league points (for a nice 10% rake) and the donkeys follow it. Just one for the sky superstars  who are doing the rr rote as they see it as an easiest route of the format, if the TSP was changed whould they stop the rr route and go back to the cash and when i man changed I mean canged in the following way. I believe the cash layout was £6,000 for the 3 different leagues spread out amongst them, why dont they scrap the pay outs and have just 3 £2,000 payouts these will be paid to the top 3 finishers of the TSP and will be paid to them as poker money so they have to use it on sky poker which ever way they want wether it be cash, mtt of stt this works for both high br layers and small br playrs as it gives them both a good start to thier 3 month challenge.This would also stop people using the TSP as a high money freeroll and benefit the people that really do want the place on the TSP. Dont have 3 separate tournements have all 90 players in 1 tournement spread over 3 days, 1 a day with your best 2 results counting to your final position this to me makes more sense but this is just my opinon and was wondering if it was like this would the likes of Flash go back to cash tables and leave the rr route.
    Posted by kevcoke69
    Firstly, my feelings on how you get into the league finals is pretty neutral, rake is rake and how you get there does not matter that much to me. I do feel that the reward outweighs the risk, but even if I pay more on the cash tables, I can show a profit, whereas Roulette games are neutral EV with a rake, thusly, forever -EV and will forever cost you money.

Secondly, please reconsider the highlighted statement above. In the 3 months running up to this months final, I probably paid in excess of £20,000 in rake. Twenty thousand, not twenty. And it could easily be more than that. So please don't pretend that Sky are giving away money, the top 30 cash players raked over £500,000 in that 3 month period given my rake as an average.
  • edited January 2011

Cut off the stream and there's no river

This is the point I'm making in stating the obvious. As it stands a team members ability to enter further live events is tied to their ability to generate PP's and the bonus that is gained from them. A small br player can not do this to any great extent so how will they prove their worth and stay on the team without generating a live br that allows them to play more meaningful live events?

As I said this is a great programme for Sky as it encourages players to play on the site, those in the team to grow their live account, those not in to ensure they qualify for the SPT finals. However once on the team the small br players IMO have no where to go unless Sky roll these players to enable them to enter several live events not just the one they qualify for by gaining their place. However I can't see this as an option as it would be unfair to team members who are building their live roll by playing on the site and doing what Sky want - creating more and more rake for the site.

Some STT players will no doubt be able to build a reasonable number of points but these will be the ones with a reasonable br not those playing £2 STT's at 4 points a time with a small one.

As it stands it is obvious to anyone that AJS would be able to attend more events than Robbierott because he gains the points to do so. Robbie currently has 809 league points, AJS has 13,874, yes I know its pp's that create the bonus but I think this clearly illustrates my point. BTW Greg I'm not saying Robbie plays £2 STT's either.

• edited January 2011

In excess of £20,000 in rake in 3 months.

If Sky want us to play more they should just give us a 50% rake back deal and we'd all be happy, its not like these deals don't exist elsewhere. I guess the Sky team is a cheaper option or is that me being cynical again.

• edited January 2011
     In excess of £20,000 in rake in 3 months. If Sky want us to play more they should just give us a 50% rake back deal and we'd all be happy, its not like these deals don't exist elsewhere. I guess the Sky team is a cheaper option or is that me being cynical again.
    Posted by stien
    I don't know about cash but for tournament players (STT and MTT) the top end of Cash for Points is worth well in excess of 50% rakeback.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : I don't know about cash but for tournament players (STT and MTT) the top end of Cash for Points is worth well in excess of 50% rakeback.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    The % increases as the payouts increase.

£5 for 500 points in 10%, where as £2,000 for 40k points is 50%. I imagine no more than 2 or 3 STT/MTT players make anywhere near 40k points though
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : I don't know about cash but for tournament players (STT and MTT) the top end of Cash for Points is worth well in excess of 50% rakeback.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Yeah if you can hit 40000 points its worth 50% rakeback. Ie, You get 10 points for £1 rake, so 40000 points is £4000 rake and you get £2000 back, 50%. But for cash its shocking. Id be surprised if its even 10%
  • edited January 2011
    Cut off the stream and there's no river This is the point I'm making in stating the obvious. As it stands a team members ability to enter further live events is tied to their ability to generate PP's and the bonus that is gained from them. A small br player can not do this to any great extent so how will they prove their worth and stay on the team without generating a live br that allows them to play more meaningful live events? As I said this is a great programme for Sky as it encourages players to play on the site, those in the team to grow their live account, those not in to ensure they qualify for the SPT finals. However once on the team the small br players IMO have no where to go unless Sky roll these players to enable them to enter several live events not just the one they qualify for by gaining their place. However I can't see this as an option as it would be unfair to team members who are building their live roll by playing on the site and doing what Sky want - creating more and more rake for the site. Some STT players will no doubt be able to build a reasonable number of points but these will be the ones with a reasonable br not those playing £2 STT's at 4 points a time with a small one.   As it stands it is obvious to anyone that AJS would be able to attend more events than Robbierott because he gains the points to do so. Robbie currently has 809 league points, AJS has 13,874, yes I know its pp's that create the bonus but I think this clearly illustrates my point. BTW Greg I'm not saying Robbie plays £2 STT's either.
    Posted by stien
    I wouldnt disagrree with anything you have said,   but also I agree with gregs main point,  sometimes both can be right,   There is no doubt in my mind that there could be a potential star within small br tourny players that cant play cash to save themselves,   (phil helmuth)   I personally think skypoker know this also.

I could be wrong but I think the route that was set up to attain a place in TSP through mtts and the like was to accomodate the tourny players to give them a chance to rise to the top,    The cream will always rise to the top given the oppertunity,    But   the opperunity needs to be there.

The rules were set,    Everyone is playing within the rules=   No wrong doing.    What will be interesting is if the rake sky have gained will sway thier initial intention of both routes to gaining a TSP place.

perhaps     instead of cutting of the stream I shuda said Dream.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : Yeah if you can hit 40000 points its worth 50% rakeback. Ie, You get 10 points for £1 rake, so 40000 points is £4000 rake and you get £2000 back, 50%. But for cash its shocking. Id be surprised if its even 10%
    Posted by 5toneFace

This is only roughly worked out so happy to be proved wrong, but if you play at say £1.50/£3, 40000 pts = c.25% RB, and 20000 pts = 18.75%.

• edited January 2011

Actually it's better than that, given the priority club bonus for > 10000 pts.

• edited January 2011
    scrap the 3 individual leagues and have one field of 90 runners, you can keep it so its the top 30 from each discipline to make it fair on STT/MTT players, but have a tourny of 90 runners with top 3 getting a spot on TSP. the fairest way possible, no one can complain the field is harder/easier than the others, and no one can argue who gets a spot because they undoubtably deserve a place on TSP getting through that field of 90, with the quality thats in it.
  • edited January 2011
    Or,   Why dont anyone who dissagrees have virtual march to the virtual skypoker station ,  Vitually chanting and acomplish virtually nothing.  

:)

peter
  • edited January 2011
    Or,   Why dont anyone who dissagrees have virtual march to the virtual skypoker station ,  Vitually chanting and acomplish virtually nothing.     :) peter
    Posted by NODEAL
    or not
  • edited January 2011
    scrap the 3 individual leagues and have one field of 90 runners, you can keep it so its the top 30 from each discipline to make it fair on STT/MTT players, but have a tourny of 90 runners with top 3 getting a spot on TSP. the fairest way possible, no one can complain the field is harder/easier than the others, and no one can argue who gets a spot because they undoubtably deserve a place on TSP getting through that field of 90, with the quality thats in it.
    Posted by hurst05
    +1

I have said this on another thread!!

Surely this is a better and fairer way of doing it??
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Well known 50/100nl regular intends to play multiple roulette HU games in order to qualify for the stt league final rather than the cash league final : This is only roughly worked out so happy to be proved wrong, but if you play at say £1.50/£3, 40000 pts = c.25% RB, and 20000 pts = 18.75%.
    Posted by jakally
    I just did some rough workings out and got the same. I thought it would be lower than that.