You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

RNG?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    You can say that as many times as you like elsa, but it still isn't true :)
  • edited February 2011
    The statistical elements dont interest me as much as other elements that I hope to go into later.  But taking away the math and algebra it is my understanding that a computor is truly incapable of randomness by design, without an element of AI.  Simply because there is no independant thought there must be pre determination, ergo no true randomness.

If I'm honest my knowledge base isnt as broad (in this aspect :p) as some, I could try and fake it but this is the only meaningful comment I can put up :) 

Am quite prepared to be wrong on this aspect though :)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT / please leave this here mod4 / bernie / & skyrich:
    That isn't the case at all and I've tried my best to explain why in straightforward terms. I'm not sure there's anything else I can say to convince you so I'll leave that particular point there, although as a parting shot I would re-iterate that if the RNG *did* only provide a trillionth of all possible deck sequences it would be very clear to anyone who had a decent sample of hands to look at.
    Posted by DannyMcs

That is a very good point and something else that should be examined. The following points are something which needs to be looked at in more detail.

Poker sites are regulated and have their RNG certified as to the authenticity of the shuffle. 
    1. Who are the regulating bodies? 
    2. Just what are they certifying? 
    3. What do they omit that should be included?
    4. What happens at the point following the shuffle and is that regulated and certified?
    5. Is it possible to see the certificate and statement of compliance of all sites?

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT / please leave this here mod4 / bernie / & skyrich:
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT / please leave this here mod4 / bernie / & skyrich : The range is not very small at all. After the cards are virtually shuffled the range of combinations contains all the sequences possible, not a miniscule percentage of them. I suggest you re-read the thread if you don't understand this.
    Posted by yb

This actually nullifies your argument regarding statistical hand analysis. 

With a 128 bit system producing 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,770,000,000 card sequences then the hand analysis of a few million hands would fall into the correct parameters. That doesn't mean that all possible sequences are there.
  • edited February 2011
    1. Who are the regulating bodies?
    In the case of Sky, the Alderny gaming comission.

2. Just what are they certifying?
    That the RNG used is sufficiently random. In practise this means putting it through a battery of tests. The most well known and widely used set of tests is called DIEHARD (hehhe) which you can read more about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diehard_tests

3. What do they omit that should be included?
    Given the level of discussion we've had so far I fear this is a question for hardcore stats nerds more than poker players. It's mroe of a stats/compsci issue than anything to do with poker.

4. What happens at the point following the shuffle and is that regulated and certified.
    Personally I've no idea, though I suspect FT's post-flop is an exception rather than the norm. AFAIK no juristiction specifically demands post flop shuffling.

Will have to leave this for now anyway, I have a primo to attend to!
  • ybyb
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT / please leave this here mod4 / bernie / & skyrich : This actually nullifies your argument regarding statistical hand analysis.  With a 128 bit system producing 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,770,000,000 card sequences then the hand analysis of a few million hands would fall into the correct parameters. That doesn't mean that all possible sequences are there.
    Posted by elsadog
    It really doesn't, but I can see your mind is made up so I'm just gonna leave it there.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT / please leave this here mod4 / bernie / & skyrich : The range is not very small at all. After the cards are virtually shuffled the range of combinations contains all the sequences possible, not a miniscule percentage of them. I suggest you re-read the thread if you don't understand this.
    Posted by yb
    I think it's you that's needs to go over the thread again. But I'll do a cliff for you.

A 52 card deck has 2^226 combinations of hand sequence.

A 128 bit system is able to handle only one trillionth of these combinations of card sequences.

One trillionth is minute.

Computers can't choose they can only pick from a pre-selected list via a seed (random trigger).

• edited February 2011
    Head, meet wall.
  • edited February 2011
    1. Who are the regulating bodies? In the case of Sky, the Alderny gaming comission. 2. Just what are they certifying? That the RNG used is sufficiently random. In practise this means putting it through a battery of tests. The most well known and widely used set of tests is called DIEHARD (hehhe) which you can read more about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diehard_tests 3. What do they omit that should be included? Given the level of discussion we've had so far I fear this is a question for hardcore stats nerds more than poker players. It's mroe of a stats/compsci issue than anything to do with poker. 4. What happens at the point following the shuffle and is that regulated and certified. Personally I've no idea, though I suspect FT's post-flop is an exception rather than the norm. AFAIK no juristiction specifically demands post flop shuffling. Will have to leave this for now anyway, I have a primo to attend to!
    Posted by DannyMcs

Let's take a look then and see what we find. Most sites details are not easily available but one very large poker site publishes theirs. 

The Gambling or Gaming commissions that regulate poker sites all all self appointed because they are based off-shore mostly in remote areas of the world. Alderney is something of an exception as it's nearer home. Let's take Alderney first. They use a company who are based in a small house in London to undertake the RNG certification. I haven't been able to find any details as to what the said certificate contains so perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

The large site that does publish details of the certification says the following. (I can't give the name on here as it's not allowed).

They give a detailed breakdown of the tests they perform on the RNG. It passed. However they only test and certify the RNG not the entire hand from shuffle to showdown.

“Our assessment looked at the entire solution, including the hardware and the software, and confirmed that the output of the RNG is cryptographically random and truly unpredictable.”  “Cigital, Inc. obtained random number generation hardware direct from the manufacturer and software source code from xxxxxxx. Sample output was gathered and tested under controlled conditions at Cigital’s labs in Dulles, Virginia, USA. Output of the random number generator was tested using two well-known test suites: the statistical randomness test suite from the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the DIEHARD statistical randomness tests. Cigital analysts also performed manual review of the source code related to the use of the RNG and its output.”

This is very impressive at first glance, but what about the rest of the software? Apparently the have tested the source code and outcome of the RNG, not the complete source code of the poker server or the outcome of entire hands. How are the randomized cards being dealt to the players? What happens during the hand, behind the scene?

They go on to say:

“This determination of statistical randomness does not extend beyond the software and hardware components examined. These results pertain only to systems composed of the hardware and software that were tested when they are operated in the manner described to Cigital during the evaluation.”

So the tests only certify that it passed when they were operated in the manner described to them? 
    What does that mean? 

What guarantee is there as to the manner in which the hands are delivered to the table?

• edited February 2011
    Im not sure if this is right but elsa the rng is assigning random numbers to the cards and then ordering them to get the combination. It's not picking a combination from all of the possible combinations. It doesn't pick a combination first and then deal. It assigns a number to each card, the ordering of the cards then becomes the combination and the combination is dealt.

danny or yb will be able to correct or affirm this.
  • edited February 2011
    surely pulling 52 numbers out of a hat is just as random as dropping 52 cards on the floor, picking them up and dealing them out one by one? Think about it for a second, what's the actual difference between a card and a piece of paper when you're talking about units? It's exactly the same. There would be the same number of combinations of 52 numbers as there would 52 cards (unless I'm being impossibly dense and missing something really, really obvious here).

Take the lottery, an example from earlier- the odds are low of predicting 6/6 numbers, in any order. Now imagine that instead, you have to predict all 49 in the correct order.

I don't understand the programming side, at all, but danny's posts seem simple enough (apart from a little techy info that goes over my head), logical and clear. I don't really struggle to get what he's saying there, I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about it.

The computer doesn't store all the combinations, that's what the seed is used for (if I understand that part correctly). Obviously it'd be incapable of storing every single combination given the limitations of space. Besides, he threw out plenty of impressive sounding numbers, that's convincing enough for me. :)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT:
    Im not sure if this is right but elsa the rng is assigning random numbers to the cards and then ordering them to get the combination. It's not picking a combination from all of the possible combinations. It doesn't pick a combination first and then deal. It assigns a number to each card, the ordering of the cards then becomes the combination and the combination is dealt. danny or yb will be able to correct or affirm this.
    Posted by BlackFish3

Yeah I can see that the argument they put forward is convincing, but it's not how I understood it to be.

I found this - it's from FT. explaining how the rng picks the cards in an it's not rigged article by a FT moderator.

Nearly every ''rigged'' theory debunked

This is part of an ongoing series about whether the Cards you're dealt in Online Poker are fair. 

In this post, I'm going to try to give a very simplified explanation of how cards are shuffled in online poker rooms. This is a topic that can get very complex. 

The goal of a shuffle is card randomization. The player needs to know that any unused card has an equal probability of being dealt next as any other unused card. But in the case of playing cards, random does not mean there are infinite possibilities. 

Since a deck of cards has 52 cards, there are a limited number of orderings possible. The number is extremely large, but it is not infinite. If you ever took a higher-level math or statistics class, you'll know about factorials. The number of possible deck orderings is 52-factorial -- noted as 52! This number is around 130,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 -- a very large number indeed. 

At the beginning of a hand, a software algorithm picks one of those decks and deals out the hand. So far, that part seems pretty simple. If a software program can get a random number and pick a deck from that number of possibilities and do this honestly and accurately, we must admit that this meets our criteria for a fair game. 

And this:

In other words, in the case of choosing a random number, there can be no specific or determined order in which the numbers would be selected. The fact that a computer program will generate a number (or poker hand) using determined mathematical functions, entropy sources, or seed variables, in and of itself defies the true logic of randomness.

• edited February 2011
    These extracts are taken from an cigital document relating specifically to POker Room pRNG security. It appears to be saying that one of the possible unique shuffles is chosen. The article goes on to examine a flawed pRNG which used the 52 card array system. There was a further problem that the site used the site clock broken down into milliseconds and this enabled this team to break the code remarkably quickly. Cigital is a leading software developer for Poker rooms and provides the RNG certification for PS..

Shuffling a Virtual Deck of Cards

The first software flaw we'll focus on involves shuffling virtual cards. What does it mean to shuffle a deck of cards fairly? Essentially, every possible combination of cards should have an equal likelihood of appearing. We'll call each such ordering of the 52 cards a shuffle.

In a real deck of cards, there are 52! (approximately 2^226) possible unique shuffles. When a computer shuffles a virtual deck of cards, it selects one of these possible combinations. There are many algorithms that can be used to shuffle a deck of cards, some of which are better than others (and some of which are just plain wrong).

---------------------------------------------------

The Flawed ASF Shuffling Algorithm

The algorithm starts by initializing an array with values in order from 1 to 52, representing the 52 possible cards. Then, the program initializes a pseudo-random number generator using the system clock with a call to Randomize(). The actual shuffle is performed by swapping every position in the array, in turn, with a randomly chosen position. The position to swap with is chosen by calls to the pseudo-random number generator.

The full report is here  http://www.cigital.com/papers/download/developer_gambling.php

• edited February 2011
    When a computer shuffles a virtual deck of cards, it selects one of these possible combinations.
    This sentence isn't particularly well worded and I can see why stuff like that would give rise to the misconception that hands are picked from a limited number of starting sequences.

Regarding the ASF case the flaw is nothing to do with the 52 card array system and EVERYTHING to do with the fact they were using the basic language random() function with a timestamp as the only seed. This is ludicrously bad practise for any system where security is a serious issue, and absoutely unforgivable in a system where money is at stake.

So let's put the ASF case to bed as part of this discussion...the fact someone created a really cr4ppy RNG 14 years ago has no relevance to today's online poker world. Someone could do the same thing today just as easily, it doesn't mean other poker sites are flawed.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL t:
    This sentence isn't particularly well worded and I can see why stuff like that would give rise to the misconception that hands are picked from a limited number of starting sequences. Regarding the ASF case the flaw is nothing to do with the 52 card array system and EVERYTHING to do with the fact they were using the basic language random() function with a timestamp as the only seed. This is ludicrously bad practise for any system where security is a serious issue, and absoutely unforgivable in a system where money is at stake. So let's put the ASF case to bed as part of this discussion...the fact someone created a really cr4ppy RNG 14 years ago has no relevance to today's online poker world. Someone could do the same thing today just as easily, it doesn't mean other poker sites are flawed.
    Posted by DannyMcs

Errr I think it has a lot to do with the 52 card system, which apparently couldn't be done and it has to be a 51 card array with the last card discarded. I can't remember the exact reason for this but I could probably find it for you. 

It clearly states, as does the FT article, that one deck is chosen from the total range of decks. It doesn't say a deck is made or 17 cards are picked as with the 52 (or 51) card array.

I will concede that it says there are many ways to do it so maybe we are both right. There have been even crappier ones than ASF btw. The last one went bust in 2009 after a hatchet job by 2plus2.

• edited February 2011
    Very interesting read guys, just a quick two pence:

Elsa: Your baseing your argument above on semantics. As the cards are virtual not physical, I would suggest that the use of the word 'chosen' is probably a better fit for how the RNG decides the deal as there are are no physical cards to 'form' a real deck.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT:
    Very interesting read guys, just a quick two pence: Elsa: Your baseing your argument above on semantics. As the cards are virtual not physical I would suggest that the use of the word 'chosen' is probably a better fit for how the RNG decides the deal as their are no physical cars to 'form' a real deck.
    Posted by RedHouse

The ''deck'' refered to is one configuration from all the possible configurations of a 52 card deck. Yes, it's a mathematical representation of the deck.    

• edited February 2011
    Errr I think it has a lot to do with the 52 card system, which apparently couldn't be done and it has to be a 51 card array with the last card discarded. I can't remember the exact reason for this but I could probably find it for you.
    I've no idea what you've read here, but if it's left you thinking a 52 item array approach to shuffle a virtual deck of cards is inherently flawed either you've read it wrong or the article is wrong. It's certainly possible to produce a poor shuffler using a 52 card array but that's down to the engineer, not the idea.
    It clearly states, as does the FT article, that one deck is chosen from the total range of decks. It doesn't say a deck is made or 17 cards are picked as with the 52 (or 51) card array.
    The ''deck'' refered to is one configuration from all the possible configurations of a 52 card deck. Yes, it's        a mathematical representation of the deck. 
    Sure, one deck is chosen...this doesn't mean it's chosen from a limited number of combinations. Articles like that are for joe public, they aren't going to get into all the details as we've done in this thread. As RedHouse said you're arguing a semantic point based on articles worded for joe public.

Anyway, I've done my best to explain that, and with all due respect mate you just don't seem to be getting it. Everyone else in the thread seems to so probably best neither of us waste any more time on it. Hopefully I've been able to explain to others reading, even if my language skills obviously aren't up to the challenge of getting through to you :)
  • edited February 2011
    Sky Poker RNG Certificate is here

I'm not sure the bit size of the computer doing the calculations is entirely relevant.

A 128 bit computer may be able to address
    2^128 = 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,770,000,000 or approx 3.40282367 × 1038
    memory locations.

There are 52! card combinations or approx 8.06581752 × 1067

So you are saying it (the RNG computer) can't deal with 1067 card combinations as it can only addresses
    memory locations up to 1038.

This isn't true.

Most 8-bit computers can address 216 (65536) addresses and not 28 (256).

However even that is not relevant.

On an 8-bit computer I could write a program to take a number
    12345678901234567890 and 12345678901234567891
    and add them.

"Bittedness" is not a restriction on numbers a computer can deal with, but it may restrict the memory a computer can address.
  • edited February 2011
    I've no idea what you've read here, but if it's left you thinking a 52 item array approach to shuffle a virtual deck of cards is inherently flawed either you've read it wrong or the article is wrong. It's certainly possible to produce a poor shuffler using a 52 card array but that's down to the engineer, not the idea. Sure, one deck is chosen...this doesn't mean it's chosen from a limited number of combinations. Articles like that are for joe public, they aren't going to get into all the details as we've done in this thread. Anyway, I've done my best to explain that, and with all due respect mate you just don't seem to be getting it. Everyone else in the thread seems to so probably best neither of us waste any more time on it. Hopefully I've been able to explain to others reading, even if my language skills obviously aren't up to the challenge of getting through to you :)
    Posted by DannyMcs

I see a comprehensive article by a company that specialises in Poker rng's and actually audits the rng for the largest poker room in the world stating quite clearly that the deck is chosen from a combination of all possible decks. I think I know who I'll go with, but thanks for trying to make me see sense.

• edited February 2011
    The article doesn't actually contravene anything I've said, you just think it does. I'm not disagreeing with anything the article says, I'm disagreeing with your misinterpretation of it. But if you want to go with your own read rather that of the guy who's been doing this for half of his life, well, they're your chips :)
  • edited February 2011
    The article doesn't actually contravene anything I've said, you just think it does. I'm not disagreeing with anything the article says, I'm disagreeing with your misinterpretation of it. But if you want to go with your own read rather that of the guy who's been doing this for half of his life, well, they're your chips :)
    Posted by DannyMcs

Ha ha well I enjoyed that even if you didn't Danny :o)

More controversy tomorrow with a bit of luck .............

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT : Quote: '' In most common random number generators, N is 2 32  -1 (approximately 4 billion), which is the largest value that will fit into a 32-bit number. Put another way, there are at most 4 billion possible values produced by the sort of number generator encountered most often. To tip our hand a bit, this 4 billion number is not all that large.'' Source -  John Viega - is a Senior Research Associate, Software Security Group co-founder, and Senior Consultant. With those credentials I believe him! Thanks for the RNG certificate btw
    Posted by elsadog
    I thought we'd been through all this last week?

Machka is completely correct.

Your quote is completely correct.

Talking about two different things!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: RNG ( on all poker sites ) A CIVIL DISCUSSION IN GENERAL CHAT : I thought we'd been through all this last week? Machka is completely correct. Your quote is completely correct. Talking about two different things!
    Posted by NoseyBonk

I know :o)

You're right we did go over it all last week but it come up again

• edited February 2011

After reading through all of this i just like to say ,
    it is great to see a yet complex,
    but detailed discussion,
    carried out in a well mannered way by all who took part .

Ty mods for leaving this in general chat .

A SPECIAL TY TO ELSA & DANNY FOR THEIR TIME .

• edited February 2011

can i just say, just because there are a million billion different combinations,it does not need to store all of these combinations,just the order they are currently in...

so for example if i have 52 cards

it could number them all, and store the order they are in....

rng gets cards and reorders...

is simple maths, not complex....

if i have 10 cards in my hand....they could be in any order but the cards would still be the same...

there are 52 cards in the pack.....they can be in any 1 of countless orders,but the only data requirement is 52 data entries...defining each card...

random, non random, pseudo random....

the only question i have,is whether or not the cards are reordered whilst in a hand,so is the deck set or does it get reordered after the community cards are dealt,say in between turn and river..??

• edited February 2011
    can i just say, just because there are a million billion different combinations,it does not need to store all of these combinations,just the order they are currently in... so for example if i have 52 cards it could number them all, and store the order they are in.... rng gets cards and reorders... is simple maths, not complex.... if i have 10 cards in my hand....they could be in any order but the cards would still be the same... there are 52 cards in the pack.....they can be in any 1 of countless orders,but the only data requirement is 52 data entries...defining each card... random, non random, pseudo random.... the only question i have,is whether or not the cards are reordered whilst in a hand,so is the deck set or does it get reordered after the community cards are dealt,say in between turn and river..??
    Posted by djblacke04

From what I read the problem with that is one of security. Massive volumes of sequences combined with multi-levels of complex seeding are needed to prevent fraudulent hacking of the RNG. The people who design these systems openly say that numbers in the billions are not big numbers when it comes to foiling the hackers and that the smaller the number the easier it is to discover patterns which lead to cracking the whole generating sequence. That is my understanding of the problem anyway.

The issue of re-ordering as far as I can tell only applies to FT who shuffle pre and post flop.

• edited February 2011
    **bangs head on wall**

great thread though lol, thing is there is no reason to put all the possible outcomes as its random 1-52, its as simple as that
  • edited February 2011
    Well the good news, however the pRNG works and does it's thing, is that we know it's doing it within the parameters of it's design because we have a certificate of conformity that says it does. 
    What does the certificate say? Well it tells us that at the time the RNG was tested it performed to expected levels, and that as far as it goes is good. 
    Unfortunately the way I see it, and to use an analogy, it's a bit like being asked by the Police to produce your documents and then turning up at the Police station with a big grin on your face and presenting them with just an MOT certificate issued in Costa Rica. Sure it tells them that the vehicle was mechanically sound on the day you had the MOT done, but without other documents it gives no clue as to your competance to drive the vehicle.
    The certificate of conformity does not go beyond the RNG's ability to produce random cards or sequences of cards. No mention is made of what happens after the cards are generated. It doesn't allude at all to how those cards are distributed to the players or what, if any, software or sub-routines are used to do this. 
    The regulating bodies are all self appointed and based in the most obscure places. It's understandable that the USA doesn't have any home based regulators but I don't know of any restrictions in the UK to prevent on-line poker rooms being registered with the gaming authorities here. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why this is.
  • edited February 2011

For every individual card that is dealt, why dont they just do a random 1-52 draw???? Like pick a number between 1 and 52, and that card is dealt.

So for a 6 max game, there would be 17 "random draws" like the lottery, for the 6 sets of hole cards and 5 community cards?

Shall I get my application form in for dragons den? ........