You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
WITH REF TO IRISHROVER POST, MY THOUGHTS ARE THIS-----

I ALSO FEEL THE RAKE ON MICRO TABLES IS HIGH (MAYBE TOO HIGH) BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY SKY POKER IS A BUSINESS AND HAS TO MAKE MONEY,
 WE ALL ENJOY THE PROGRAMS THE PRESENTERS, THE FACT WE ALL CAN SEE OUR PLAY ALMOST LIVE ON TV.
THE OTHER POKER SITES CAN'T GIVE US AS PLAYERS THAT SORT OF HI LEVEL PROFILE, ALSO SKY POKER BACKS, SUPPORTS AND PUTS IT POKER NAME TO 'US' AS PLAYERS AND NOT SOME FAMOUS PLAYER, WE ARE SKY'S PRO PLAYERS NOT PHIL IVEY OR NEGRANU.

ALL THIS COSTS MONEY AND I FOR ONE IS GREATFULL FOR OUR UK BASED POKER SITE THAT MOST PLAYERS KNOW OF EACH OTHER AND CAN BE PART OF 'OUR LOCAL' POKER CLUB

LIAM 5 KINGS

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD?:
    WITH REF TO IRISHROVER POST, MY THOUGHTS ARE THIS----- I ALSO FEEL THE RAKE ON MICRO TABLES IS HIGH (MAYBE TOO HIGH) BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY SKY POKER IS A BUSINESS AND HAS TO MAKE MONEY,  WE ALL ENJOY THE PROGRAMS THE PRESENTERS, THE FACT WE ALL CAN SEE OUR PLAY ALMOST LIVE ON TV. THE OTHER POKER SITES CAN'T GIVE US AS PLAYERS THAT SORT OF HI LEVEL PROFILE, ALSO SKY POKER BACKS, SUPPORTS AND PUTS IT POKER NAME TO 'US' AS PLAYERS AND NOT SOME FAMOUS PLAYER, WE ARE SKY'S PRO PLAYERS NOT PHIL IVEY OR NEGRANU. ALL THIS COSTS MONEY AND I FOR ONE IS GREATFULL FOR OUR UK BASED POKER SITE THAT MOST PLAYERS KNOW OF EACH OTHER AND CAN BE PART OF 'OUR LOCAL' POKER CLUB LIAM 5 KINGS
    Posted by LIAM5KING
    This.

LIAM5KING for the win.
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Liams, I started a thread one time about the low stakes rake being too high, I suggested that it was bad for sky poker in the long term to have such a high rake. The low stakes rake (especially on dym tables) makes it very hard to build a bank roll here, and the fact that it is easier to build a roll on other sites is surely bad for sky poker--innit?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD?:
    Hi Liams, I started a thread one time about the low stakes rake being too high, I suggested that it was bad for sky poker in the long term to have such a high rake. The low stakes rake (especially on dym tables makes it very hard to build a bank roll here, and the fact that it is easier to build a roll on other sites is surely bad for sky poker--innit?
    Posted by oynutter
    YES I AGREE, BUT OTHER SITES ARE NOTHING LIKE HERE,
    AS PLAYERS WE GET SO MUCH MORE OFF SKY.
    YOU MUST SEE THAT, AS A SKY PLAYER WE ARE PART OF SOMETHING SPECIAL.
    FOR EXAMAPLE- SKYS BEST PLAYERS DANTB GLITTERBABE THETANK PENGIUN7 COWGOMOO ETC WILL ALL CHAT AND ADD TO PEOPLES POST ON HERE, WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GET THAT ???????
  • edited February 2011
    Hardly the point imo Liams, what I'm saying is that more players would stay here if it was easier to build a bankroll here, most sites charge 10% max rake on tournaments, sky charge 15% on 1 pound dym games, I think sky, and consequently all of it's players would benefit long term if this was addressed
  • edited February 2011

Those 5p's really add up! ;)

They give you them all back in daily freerolls anyway.

Charge micro players even more rake imo, or take their freerolls away.

• edited February 2011
    Those 5p's really add up! ;) They give you them all back in daily freerolls anyway. Charge micro players even more rake imo, or take their freerolls away.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I am a micro player and i would rather have lower rake than bingo freerolls. Never thought i would see the day i would agree with DOHHHH lol.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD? : I am a micro player and i would rather have lower rake than bingo freerolls. Never thought i would see the day i would agree with DOHHHH lol.
    Posted by belsibub
    I think you might want to reread his post fella.
  • edited February 2011
    LIAM, caps lock of please :)

I agree rake is silly for micro players
  • ckdckd
    edited February 2011

how long be4 this is closed?

i say by end of day
  • edited February 2011
     how long be4 this is closed?  i say by end of day
    Posted by ckd
    Before 3pm for sure
  • ckdckd
    edited February 2011

skypoker is not tobad of site couldbe alot better.......the forum that is a big part of sky seems be be going down hill to me and i think sky need to take a long look at it to get it back up....
  • edited February 2011
    Should be at least 35p to play a 25p dym 

;)

You should expect to win 99% of games, so profit wud still be achievable.
  • edited February 2011
    Should be at least 35p to play a 25p dym  ;) You should expect to win 99% of games, so profit wud still be achievable.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Ridiculous statement.       Hope it was tongue-in-cheek.

• edited February 2011
    Just grind up to where the rake is only 10%. If you don't like it then don't play it! On the other hand, might as well make a fuss, worst case scenario nothing happens, best case scenario you get charged lower rake.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD? : Ridiculous statement.       Hope it was tongue-in-cheek.
    Posted by elsadog

What gave it away?? maybe the ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I've played on a number of sites, and Sky seems like a good one to me.

It's definitely positive to have a GBP based site with none of that ridiculous exchange rate nonsense that ends up taking 5-10% of winnings.
  • edited February 2011
    Sky offer their own TV channel, they put on Live MTTs, they offer freerolls (OK so do other sites), they have a thriving forum, the presenters/analysts are always available to give advice and help. The higher staked players really get looked after....

Skypoker FTW

p.s In regards to the posts saying Sky need to change, Skypoker is the busiest it has ever been, everyone said the 8pms would die with the double buyin, if anything the numbers have increased. The traffic on cash games (especially 50nl/100nl) has increased massivly. They cant be doing a lot wrong IMO.
  • edited February 2011
    I thought this discussion was about rake?

in general love sky, only minor things i dont like but then cant please everyone
  • edited February 2011
    I thought this discussion was about rake? in general love sky, only minor things i dont like but then cant please everyone
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    The extra rake is to fund everything I have listed
  • edited February 2011

The point the Irish man, and others made, is a valid one.

If the rake on £50 dyms was increased to even 15%, there wud be hell on.

It's quite amazing that they can actually get away with it - and have no intentions of changing it. It's like stakeism.

(that isn't underlined in red btw - is it actually a real word???)

The TV channel and the forum isn't there for clients of sky poker, it's there for clients of sky TV. You can use the forum and watch the channel even if you've never ever played a game on sky poker. 

And of course all my previous comments on the subject were tongue in cheek - the whole situation is abit farcical, and should be sorted out, like many other things on here (league points, poker points) - but they probably never will be.

• ckdckd
    edited February 2011
    Sky offer their own TV channel, they put on Live MTTs, they offer freerolls (OK so do other sites), they have a thriving forum, the presenters/analysts are always available to give advice and help. The higher staked players really get looked after.... Skypoker FTW p.s In regards to the posts saying Sky need to change, Skypoker is the busiest it has ever been, everyone said the 8pms would die with the double buyin, if anything the numbers have increased. The traffic on cash games (especially 50nl/100nl) has increased massivly. They cant be doing a lot wrong IMO.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    as i said sky is not to bad......there forum i think does need looking at i.e there has been many many posts put on the community suggestion page that has had no responces at all...now to me the idea behind it is to get feedback from players to make the site better....it would be nice to see it with abit more behind it.......also there seems to be alot of posts being moved or deleted when theres no need to be which needs looking at i think as other things(poker points,,,poker league).....sky does put on alot of things for players which is good.....as for the rake on smaller games i do think its to much as do many others but thats up to sky if they feel its working they nothing you can do....i just think theres alot of things they can do to make the site bigger and better for new and old

as the site is now it aint to bad even compared to the bigger sites
  • edited February 2011
    Hardly the point imo Liams, what I'm saying is that more players would stay here if it was easier to build a bankroll here, most sites charge 10% max rake on tournaments, sky charge 15% on 1 pound dym games, I think sky, and consequently all of it's players would benefit long term if this was addressed
    Posted by oynutter
    +1
  • edited February 2011
    MY POINT IS THIS,
    SKY DO SHED LOADS FOR US AS PLAYERS, WE SEEM TO FORGET THIS !
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER GOOD OR BAD? : The extra rake is to fund everything I have listed
    Posted by FlashFlush
    How many top players are there on this site 2 or 3 hundred 500 max.There are over 40 thousand names on the league(and not everyone who plays is on it) that is a hell of a lot of extra pennies generated by the low and micro players for what?Bingo freerolls that other sites offer.
  • edited February 2011
    Sky offer their own TV channel, they put on Live MTTs, they offer freerolls (OK so do other sites), they have a thriving forum, the presenters/analysts are always available to give advice and help. The higher staked players really get looked after.... Skypoker FTW p.s In regards to the posts saying Sky need to change, Skypoker is the busiest it has ever been, everyone said the 8pms would die with the double buyin, if anything the numbers have increased. The traffic on cash games (especially 50nl/100nl) has increased massivly. They cant be doing a lot wrong IMO.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    ^^^^^^^^^What flash said...............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • edited February 2011
    MY POINT IS THIS, SKY DO SHED LOADS FOR US AS PLAYERS, WE SEEM TO FORGET THIS !
    Posted by LIAM5KING
    To be fair sky have been pretty good to you after your outburst on the rail during last weeks vegas final.

I was sure you would get banned.

• edited February 2011
    What I dont understand is the Sky Mod approach

Why not just come out with some buff about each game/tourney costing on average 25p (for example) in software costs/ staffing/ channel 865/profit etc which has to be spread across the whole site so if they decreased rake on micros its the biggies who r subsidising it. May be a load of old tosh and people can agree with it or not, but surely is better that the gloves on & into the ring approach of deleting loadsa posts etc?
  • edited February 2011
    to be fair, we all know what the rake is and we all still play them, there are far worse problems than %rake. if you think the amount you pay on dym is bad go jump on a 25/50 hu cash game it would make "them" jump back into your stomach. if you dont like paying it dont play, if you think it is morally wrong dont play and if you are  a winning player you wont care!!
  • edited February 2011
    to be fair, we all know what the rake is and we all still play them, there are far worse problems than %rake. if you think the amount you pay on dym is bad go jump on a 25/50 hu cash game it would make "them" jump back into your stomach. if you dont like paying it dont play, if you think it is morally wrong dont play and if you are  a winning player you wont care!!
    Posted by pod1
    Spot on!