You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

It's just variance...............

edited March 2011 in Area 51
what the lord(SKY) givith in one hand,he takes from tother...........or something along those lines

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I played on here for the first time in a while last night. Thought I'll give it a go and see if anythings changed. Made some progress in the Open for the first hour. I got AA, 4x raise and other guy goes all in. I snap call and he shows AT. He hit the straight. A little later I get AA again. I really did think about ditching it pre. But no, I put in 6x raise and other guy goes all-in. Snap call. He shows ATs and hits the flush. Left me with 145 chips and next hand I get AQ - all in and other guy shows AK and I'm gone.
    Be a while before I'm back to play here again, it's just not worth my while. I won't play scared, and shove poker is all it seems to be.
    On a side note I also played on another site the last 2 nights . 3 mtt's - $55 90k x2 and the 60k rebuy. Results are as follows:
    90k (made 130k) - 103rd of 3,000 for a nice cash
    90k - mid position - no cash
    60k (made 96k) - 52nd of 8,000 for a nice cash.
    Strange that I can do it elsewhere but can't win a flip on here and it's been like that since I won the 15k BH 4 or 5 months ago. I've played the ME BH most weeks and have never taken a single bounty since that win.
    Just Varience I suppose.
  • edited February 2011
    Variance?....Selective Memory???.....Post shuffle manipulation by sub routines??

Sky's recent actions on the forum may appear to point to the latter  ;)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience...............:
    what the lord(SKY) givith in one hand,he takes from tother...........or something along those lines
    Posted by LENGALENG

mmmmm .........   ;o)

• edited February 2011
    Reading all the posts in the last few weeks has changed my perspective a little bit.  I didnt really get why some of the guys are so overly critical and seemingly shortsighted to other peoples point of views and experienes - you know who you are :p

But then after reading alot of the threads that have gone up this week I kind of see where they are coming from.  People dont seem to fully get the difference between a Bad Beat and simply just not making their hand.  Ultimately if you have the confidence to play a wide range of drawy hands (the suited connectors, gappers) then your are going to hit alot of boards and be facing interesting positions much of the time. 

I still dont trust the RNG in the slightest, but I think the human factor plays an equally large part to the action that is seen.

Congratulations the Alan!
  • edited February 2011
    Reading all the posts in the last few weeks has changed my perspective a little bit.  I didnt really get why some of the guys are so overly critical and seemingly shortsighted to other peoples point of views and experienes - you know who you are :p But then after reading alot of the threads that have gone up this week I kind of see where they are coming from.  People dont seem to fully get the difference between a Bad Beat and simply just not making their hand.  Ultimately if you have the confidence to play a wide range of drawy hands (the suited connectors, gappers) then your are going to hit alot of boards and be facing interesting positions much of the time.  I still dont trust the RNG in the slightest, but I think the human factor plays an equally large part to the action that is seen. Congratulations the Alan!
    Posted by AMYBR
    +1 excellent post xxx
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to It's just varience...............:
    I played on here for the first time in a while last night. Thought I'll give it a go and see if anythings changed. Made some progress in the Open for the first hour. I got AA, 4x raise and other guy goes all in. I snap call and he shows AT. He hit the straight. A little later I get AA again. I really did think about ditching it pre. But no, I put in 6x raise and other guy goes all-in. Snap call. He shows ATs and hits the flush. Left me with 145 chips and next hand I get AQ - all in and other guy shows AK and I'm gone. Be a while before I'm back to play here again, it's just not worth my while. I won't play scared, and shove poker is all it seems to be. On a side note I also played on another site the last 2 nights . 3 mtt's - $55 90k x2 and the 60k rebuy. Results are as follows: 90k (made 130k) - 103rd of 3,000 for a nice cash 90k - mid position - no cash 60k (made 96k) - 52nd of 8,000 for a nice cash. Strange that I can do it elsewhere but can't win a flip on here and it's been like that since I won the 15k BH 4 or 5 months ago. I've played the ME BH most weeks and have never taken a single bounty since that win. Just Varience I suppose.
    Posted by elsadog

Just cashed again in the 90k and still going ok in a 115k rebuy and nearing the bubble - only 3500 in this so it's a quicky  ........... This must be positive varience :o)

........... Oh! and won a seat in tomorrows $1.5 Million for $11............. Strange how I can't win a hand on here. Did I upset somebody?

• edited February 2011
    Elsa

Why do you post on here?
    Or play on Sky?

Wouldn't you just be better off forgetting all about Skypoker?
  • edited February 2011
    Elsa Why do you post on here? Or play on Sky? Wouldn't you just be better off forgetting all about Skypoker?
    Posted by BelovedLtd

I haven't really played much on here for a while. I try now and then just to see what transpires.

I post here because I have a lot of friends on Sky. I also believe it's the best forum with the best peeps and potentially the best site. 

It's a bit like a troublsome child. I don't like what is happening with it but I don't stop loving it.

• edited February 2011
    I have had just as many outdraws in the last 2 months and I can't even say it is since winning the main event! I have never won a main event on Sky so they must really hate me!

I have had AA beaten by AQ live all in pre
    I had KK beaten by 66 live
    I had AJ A on flop beaten by KQ in SPT Newcastle yep Q on turn, K on river

Night before SPT Newcastle I won the Fri night tourney at Aspers, against Gliterbabe I had J10 on a J94 board, turn J I was convinced I was ahead but all in showdown he had 99 for made FH, river a 4 to give me higher FH, same tournament I have 44 on a K22 flop i shove he snaps with a K and I turn 4, river 4

All live, only RNG was the dealer!

Dave
  • edited February 2011
    I have had just as many outdraws in the last 2 months and I can't even say it is since winning the main event! I have never won a main event on Sky so they must really hate me! I have had AA beaten by AQ live all in pre I had KK beaten by 66 live I had AJ A on flop beaten by KQ in SPT Newcastle yep Q on turn, K on river Night before SPT Newcastle I won the Fri night tourney at Aspers, against Gliterbabe I had J10 on a J94 board, turn J I was convinced I was ahead but all in showdown he had 99 for made FH, river a 4 to give me higher FH, same tournament I have 44 on a K22 flop i shove he snaps with a K and I turn 4, river 4 All live, only RNG was the dealer! Dave
    Posted by SolarCarro

Yes it happens live too. I've played for 45 years and saw some beauties before computers were the norm let alone online poker. Of course it happens, it always has, it always will. 

I think the key word is frequency. 

Nice going on the Aspers win btw.

• edited February 2011
    Reading all the posts in the last few weeks has changed my perspective a little bit.  I didnt really get why some of the guys are so overly critical and seemingly shortsighted to other peoples point of views and experienes - you know who you are :p But then after reading alot of the threads that have gone up this week I kind of see where they are coming from.  People dont seem to fully get the difference between a Bad Beat and simply just not making their hand.  Ultimately if you have the confidence to play a wide range of drawy hands (the suited connectors, gappers) then your are going to hit alot of boards and be facing interesting positions much of the time.  I still dont trust the RNG in the slightest, but I think the human factor plays an equally large part to the action that is seen. Congratulations the Alan!
    Posted by AMYBR

Summed up perfectly,  see up until Thursday i have run like death for god knows how long but all i kept doing was reviewing hands/discussing with other players & post in the clinic. Alan this is 1 tournament i can understand its frustrating but tournaments are like this high variance.

Hope it changes for you soon and well done in your other games

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited February 2011
    Is that twice were in agreement Young Gun? :P

Just seems that there are many many players who play hands that they simply like the look of, and will not fold with any draw.  You do see a lot more caution live as a rule.  Just seems there's a heck of a lot more gamble online, just because of the mixed skill level, and ppl playing at money levels they simply dont care enough about to play well.
  • edited February 2011
    Not played last 2 days but I had a dabble in a couple of 180 seat S&G's late tonight .......... and I won one ........ wheeeee!!

Varience pah!
  • edited February 2011
    Well I decided to see if Sky is as bad as ever ............... no change there then.

Played the 15k BH. 

4th hand AA met 33 and lost. 

9th hand AK met QT and lost.

At least my record for not having won a hand or taken a bounty in 4 months is secure for a little longer.

Nice one SKY.

Of course it's all completely random 'cos Alderney say so even if Sky Bernie seems to have lost his script.
  • edited February 2011
    It mustn't be as ''random'' or ''fair'' elsewhere .............

Sunday Special - $350,000 prize-pool and 6900 runners - bubble at 1080 and ended up in the low 200's for a nice cash again!

Strange how I don't last an hour in any mtt on Sky.

Thinking about it, the most obvious thing is that I don't see the spectacular hands when playing away. Certainly they happen, set over set and boat over boat etc but they really are a rarity - as they should be. Most hands are won without showdown, High card, one and two pair are frequent winners - as they should be. Sets aren't all that common and flushes and full houses are like hen's teeth. I haven't seen quads in weeks of playing hundreds of hands. I saw a low-end straight flush last night, the first I've seen for months. Players shoving their stack in is uncommon, trapping and reading board texture is still a skill that can pay dividends over there.

Bottom line is - it's a different game - it's called poker.

• edited February 2011
    I dis-agree elsa i have tried many sites and they all seem the same ratio, bad beats what hands are coming up if anything more on a couple of others. but hey ho thats just my opinion i think you have selective memory and let it affect the way you play on sky, otherwise you should easily crush it here if you do elsewhere

• edited February 2011
    I dis-agree elsa i have tried many sites and they all seem the same ratio, bad beats what hands are coming up if anything more on a couple of others. but hey ho thats just my opinion i think you have selective memory and let it affect the way you play on sky, otherwise you should easily crush it here if you do elsewhere
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

You've been conditioned by shove poker m8. Because it happens all the time doen't make it normal. I played a few hundred hands in that tournament last night. I saw a few instances of the dominant hand losing but generally they held up - as they should. I saw AA lose once but win half a dozen times. 

All I ever hear on this forum is players saying keep getting your money in ahead and it will pay off in the long run. What you seem to forget is that it should pay off in the short run too. 

I don't have selective memory, I don't need selective memory to remember not taking a single bounty in 5 months on here. Last one I played isn't a trick of memory that I went out (again) very early on with AA vs 33 and then short stacked with AK vs QT. 

Underdog hands are winning far too often on Sky - open your eyes!

• edited February 2011
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

I'm not sure how it's affected my game when it's all-in pre with AA vs 33 and then short stacked all-in AK vs QT ....... am I pressing the button with the wrong finger perhaps ? 

• edited February 2011
    I played 2 small mtt's on Sky tonight. In the first one my AA got cracked early doors by K4 sooooooted, ''sigh''

I actually got a run for my money in the second ...........  5th in the mini last-longer.

In the, lasts a lot longer, last-longer on PS I managed 135th of 6,309 runners for another nice cash.

I went out of the PS when my KK met AA and the AA carried. 

I have no problem with that.

• edited February 2011
    Nice to share a table with you last night Alan and thanks for playing two of the tournies in the Monday night LL. I was mini veiw for ages so I apologise for the lack of chat/banter/abuse!, lol.
    TBH, I am on a mini break from playing poker ATM on here but decided to play last night to show support to DTW. 
    A funny night for me. As you saw I ran my AJ into AA on that FT of the deep stack we were in and over in the TOT, had my AA cracked by A9 to finish in about 45th when playing quite solid. I am sure that all the TOT's are set up so only favoured people can win them and not us undesirables who have too much to say! (lol, feel a whole new Area51 thread coming on!)
    Anyway, I somehow got joint second, obv rigged :)

I am playing on a site ATM which is not called 777 or 999 and I find the MTT's are a lot softer than on here. I am only playing low stakes but find some 4/5 bets actually get people to respect them and fold whether they be a bluff or not. This coupled with late reg, H4H, and 24 hr choice for tournaments bodes well when choosing where to play my on line poker. OFC you still get the fish, overbets, bad players and occasionally, unreal suck outs and beats.

Anyway, I wish you well mate and I hope you can join us all next Monday for another cheap fun night of deepies.

Cheers,
    Alan
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for that Alan.

I enjoyed the games and thought it might be your night, but alas it wasn't to be. An interesting note is that the last longer tourney that we managed to get to the FT on started about 30 minutes after the one I played on PS. This was a low buy-in rebuy (I know, I know, but I play these as a relaxation/fun tournament which costs very little but can return a huge prize - $10,000 for first last night), so that means lots of fish and lots of action in the early part of the tournament. I obviously can't remember every hand from either tournament but the overall impression was that there was so much more action in the Sky tournaments. I had a lot of big hand vs big hand confrontations on Sky, whereas the only big hand vs big hand on PS was after 5 hours with the KK vs AA (which took me out). I will check on that as it could be selective memory as someone has suggested earlier, and I'll correct it here if it is so. 

I know that on my playing stats (which I have open all the time in tournaments) my hands-played to hands-dealt ratio was 14% on PS. I don't have access to that info on Sky but I tend to think it was/is much higher. My hands taken to showdown was only 3% and I won 85% of those. At the point I went out the blinds were 5/10k with antes of 150 so, it was certainly active in the latter stages, and this was in a $3 buy-in with 7,000 runners.

Where you are playing at the moment is not a site I have played much, but I know of two ex Sky regulars who are currently playing the low stake mtt's there. Good luck with the break and hopefully we can both return full time, if and when, Sky ever returns to something akin to poker and not bingo.
  • edited February 2011

Sorry Alan, I meant joint 1st so I did win a prize I think. I ended up with roughly £15 from an outlay of £5.50 so all I need to do now is add a couple or three noughts to that return and I will be sorted!, lol.

Oh, I also won the vegas points fest on Sunday night on here (1st/164) so I am playing the final on Thursday night for a chance to get into the 'real' qualifiers. I used most of my poker points up now so I hope to do well in this one!
  • edited February 2011
    I realised what you meant - joint 1st.

Well done on that, a profit is a profit is a profit. Good luck in the Vegas thing, stay positive and you never know.
  • edited February 2011
    elsa you can check how many hands you play, they have stats for that on here. although they dont have alot but can tell you how many flops you have seen and your % of check/fold/raise & what streets you fold at. not alot but you can easily find out also check whether 9 handed v 6 handed as it means you will play more
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah I agree you will see less hands on a 9 seater table but you should not expect to see any less big hand vs big hand confrontations compared to a six seater........ in fact probably the opposite.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah I agree you will see less hands on a 9 seater table but you should not expect to see any less big hand vs big hand confrontations compared to a six seater........ in fact probably the opposite.
    Posted by elsadog
    This !!!!

9/10 handed tables are no good for calling stations like myself.

And there are far too many coolers for my linking.

Give me a bad beat over a cooler any day.

5 hours to run KK into AA is soooooooooooo sick! There's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

At least with bad beats you have the consolation of out-playing your opponent.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : This !!!! 9/10 handed tables are no good for calling stations like myself. And there are far too many coolers for my linking. Give me a bad beat over a cooler any day. 5 hours to run KK into AA is soooooooooooo sick! There's absolutely nothing you can do about it. At least with bad beats you have the consolation of out-playing your opponent.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I'll take 5 hours and a good cash over having AA contiually cracked by Q4 and the like and not getting through the first hour. 

• edited February 2011
    Mini-cash in the $3 rebuy tonight ......... consistency rules.

Unfortunately I crashed in the daily 90k, so made a small loss on the night.
  • edited February 2011
    To see how things were panning out on Sky, I just played a £5 BH and 4th hand I get AK - 3 all-ins - AK AK K6 

.......... as expected the K6 won.

So to sum up the last 10 days ......

SKY:

7 mtt's played -

AA lost to AT after one hour.
    AA lost to AT 3 hands later.
    AA lost to 33  4th hand.
    AK lost to QT  9th hand.
    AA lost to K4  after 40 minutes.
    AK lost to K6  on 4th hand.
    (all the above hands went to showdown and/or took me out)
    Last longer 5th place - cashed

Not SKY:

18 mtt's played - I had a decent run in all but only cashed as below.

103rd of 3,000 cashed
    52nd  of 8,000 cashed
    206th of 4,000 cashed
    82nd  of 3,500 cashed
    1st     of    235 cashed
    1st     of    180 cashed
    206th of 6,900 cashed
    135th of 6,300 cashed
    408th of 5,300 cashed
    2nd    of 1,111 cashed good style

I see a pattern emerging.

• edited February 2011