You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

It's just variance...............

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience...............:
    I'm confused as to why you still play here.. I'm not saying stop or nout, just weird you do so well on PS (grats on some nice wins btw) but still play here with much smaller prizepools n then complain when you get a sick beat. Why don't you just play PS and use the forum here. I do the same except im on paddy P... If i remember rightly your posts back in the day on this forum were always nice n fun to read now it seems its all moans. It's not all you tho, people moaning, posting they gunna leave sky only to play the next day is making this forum more dull by the day. Sorry i had to rant on your thread, kinda agree more action flops on here, but i put that down to the field being weak and people rating their hands more than they should be. I blame Hot 'O Meter!  lol
    Posted by Norbit

Hot-O-Meter ............. I came to that conclusion about 6 months ago  lol

Why do I still play here? Good question. I've had a lot of success here and won 4 ME's so I can afford to continue in a much reduced way. I like to play a site where I know a lot of the players at all levels and that isn't really possible on the bigger sites. 

There are a lot of good people on here so I guess it's a social thing. I'm a social player and have no illusions of ever being a pro but I don't like what I've been encountering over the past 6 months at the tables on here and if I don't play occasionally I will never know if it changes.

That may not make sense to you but it does to me. I don't want to give up on Sky just yet.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : Hot-O-Meter ............. I came to that conclusion about 6 months ago  lol Why do I still play here? Good question. I've had a lot of success here and won 4 ME's so I can afford to continue in a much reduced way. I like to play a site where I know a lot of the players at all levels and that isn't really possible on the bigger sites.  There are a lot of good people on here so I guess it's a social thing. I'm a social player and have no illusions of ever being a pro but I don't like what I've been encountering over the past 6 months at the tables on here and if I don't play occasionally I will never know if it changes. That may not make sense to you but it does to me. I don't want to give up on Sky just yet.
    Posted by elsadog
    tbh everyone with half a brain knew the hot o meter was useless from their first day on sky lol

It does make sense to me, i used to chat to a few on here so the games/banter was always fun, not anymore but still like the forum.

As for 4 ME wins, i think only a handfull have won 2+ so thats a great achievement.

I think the main problem is the structure of mtt's. The jump in blind levels and what 20seconds to make a decision is poor.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : tbh everyone with half a brain knew the hot o meter was useless from their first day on sky lol It does make sense to me, i used to chat to a few on here so the games/banter was always fun, not anymore but still like the forum. As for 4 ME wins, i think only a handfull have won 2+ so thats a great achievement. I think the main problem is the structure of mtt's. The jump in blind levels and what 20seconds to make a decision is poor.
    Posted by Norbit

Yes the blind structure and short thinking time do make it more difficult and probably lead to rash moves by some. It can be adjusted for with practice and consistency of results is possible even under those conditions. I have hardly won a showdown for 5 months and the only progress I make is when I steal - and you can't win any tournament without winning some flips. So for now I will just dabble on the outskirts and hope something changes.

Failing that I may blow up the RNG - that would do it!

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : Yes the blind structure and short thinking time do make it more difficult and probably lead to rash moves by some. It can be adjusted for with practice and consistency of results is possible even under those conditions. I have hardly won a showdown for 5 months and the only progress I make is when I steal - and you can't win any tournament without winning some flips. So for now I will just dabble on the outskirts and hope something changes. Failing that I may blow up the RNG - that would do it!
    Posted by elsadog
    Be the Guy Fawkes of the poker world :D lol
  • edited March 2011
    Is it possible 2 be on the receiving end of negative variance for 12 months !!! 

Can it last for years or decades ?   lol  
  • edited March 2011
    Is it possible 2 be on the receiving end of negative variance for 12 months !!!  Can it last for years or decades ?   lol  
    Posted by MR-CHIPS-D

Apparently it can. There are stories of professionals who have hit downswings that have lasted years. The problem with adverse variance is that you naturally try to alter your game to compensate. The two combined can lead to even bigger problems and extend the period.

Often the downswings over extended periods are down to leaks in your game rather than just plain old fashioned bad luck.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just variance............... : Apparently it can. There are stories of professionals who have hit downswings that have lasted years. The problem with adverse variance is that you naturally try to alter your game to compensate. The two combined can lead to even bigger problems and extend the period. Often the downswings over extended periods are down to leaks in your game rather than just plain old fashioned bad luck.
    Posted by elsadog

Thanks for your response, i have reached a point now where i want told fold when i am dealt premium hands ( lol ), and when i flop a monster i know i will get outdrawn. I get my money in good but wonder why i bothered because in my mind i already know the outcome. EXIT tourney or Re-load  BUYIN Rinse and Repeat, Ohh well thanks again for your response think ill defect to sky bingo and c if i can plug my leaks! I might run better if i play bingo on the poker tables.
  • edited March 2011
    Agree with this completely.  Variance and "suck it up" become hard to hear when you get it in with over 90% over and over
  • edited March 2011
    This could be the last outpost now that the general section has been flooded.
  • edited March 2011
    I played 2 small mtt's on Sky tonight. In the first one my AA got cracked early doors by K4 sooooooted, ''sigh'' I actually got a run for my money in the second ...........  5th in the mini last-longer. In the, lasts a lot longer, last-longer on PS I managed 135th of 6,309 runners for another nice cash. I went out of the PS when my KK met AA and the AA carried.  I have no problem with that.
    Posted by elsadog[/QUOTE

i agree ellsadog i also left this site after a 6 month looseing streak i never cashed in any game i played for the 6months i was told by the forum regs is just the way it go,s so i whent another site i have cashed 8 times in  the last 3 months so like you i thought seems like my game as picked up again so ill give sky another chance but im back for less then a month and im down 200 with out even getting close to any cash place so its good bye to sky  but for good this time ill not be back im convinced this site is rigged ill take my chance and my money to the other site see ya sky
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... :
    I played 2 small mtt's on Sky tonight. In the first one my AA got cracked early doors by K4 sooooooted, ''sigh'' I actually got a run for my money in the second ...........  5th in the mini last-longer. In the, lasts a lot longer, last-longer on PS I managed 135th of 6,309 runners for another nice cash. I went out of the PS when my KK met AA and the AA carried.  I have no problem with that. Posted by elsadog[/QUOTE i agree ellsadog i also left this site after a 6 month looseing streak i never cashed in any game i played for the 6months i was told by the forum regs is just the way it go,s so i whent another site i have cashed 8 times in  the last 3 months so like you i thought seems like my game as picked up again so ill give sky another chance but im back for less then a month and im down 200 with out even getting close to any cash place so its good bye to sky  but for good this time ill not be back im convinced this site is rigged ill take my chance and my money to the other site see ya sky
    Posted by xDJSIGNx
    I agree ,
    at present i muti table 6  50/50 games ( similar to dym ) on stars ,
    rarely see sets , houses , flushes  e.t.c

Do that on here one would  be able to build a housing estate lol .

• edited March 2011
    this thread is embarrassing. You go on about how often you cash on stars and how often you lose on here and put down the success on stars to having a fair game so your obviously superior skills shine through yet when you are in the middle of a dowswing on here something must not be right. If you dont realise you are running hot on one site and running bad on the other its nothing to do with the sites. Its also lol that you thought everything was fine when youre running hotter than the sun on here and winning ME's but now variance is evening out for you you think something dodgy must be up. Youve obviously been on the kind end of variance for a long time so just imagine that the run bad can last equally as long and get used to it. It will be lol in 6 months time when you hit a 5 month downswing elsewhere and then we get to listen to your whining about how something must be up at that site now cos youre not cashing every other tournament.
  • edited March 2011
    this thread is embarrassing. You go on about how often you cash on stars and how often you lose on here and put down the success on stars to having a fair game so your obviously superior skills shine through yet when you are in the middle of a dowswing on here something must not be right. If you dont realise you are running hot on one site and running bad on the other its nothing to do with the sites. Its also lol that you thought everything was fine when youre running hotter than the sun on here and winning ME's but now variance is evening out for you you think something dodgy must be up. Youve obviously been on the kind end of variance for a long time so just imagine that the run bad can last equally as long and get used to it. It will be lol in 6 months time when you hit a 5 month downswing elsewhere and then we get to listen to your whining about how something must be up at that site now cos youre not cashing every other tournament.
    Posted by offshoot

That would be one point of view, that as happens, ignores the point at hand :p
  • edited March 2011
    i played my first tournament on PS yesterday

PokerStars Tournament #409010212, No Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $1.00/$0.10 USD
    3299 players
    Total Prize Pool: $3299.00 USD
    Tournament started 2011/03/01 11:00:00 UTC [2011/03/01 6:00:00 ET]
    Tournament finished 2011/03/01 20:12:13 UTC [2011/03/01 15:12:13 ET]
    1: CrayzeeZ (United Kingdom), $520.94 (15.79%)
    2: BlueKent1 (Romania), $385.98 (11.699%)
    3: delaney1991 (United Kingdom), $272.16 (8.249%)
    4: bassie173 (Netherlands), $189.69 (5.749%)
    5: mvfranca (Brazil), $140.20 (4.249%)
    6: filotimos (Greece), $107.21 (3.249%)
    7: heiko340 (Germany), $74.22 (2.249%)
    8: freekzoid (Romania), $41.23 (1.249%)
    9: Flipper_1985 (Germany), $26.39 (0.799%)

• edited March 2011
    Posted by offshoot
    +1

Tbf, I think Elsa might just be on a massive wind-up. He's done it very well if that's the case - I think someone should tell AmyBR though, unless he's in on it too. (Irish must be).
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by offshoot

OK hands up ....... I admit it ....... you're right .............. don't tell anyone but it's lasted 9 years. :p)

Nice to see a new face in area51, offshoot ........... who gave you directions to this place then?

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : OK hands up ....... I admit it ....... you're right .............. don't tell anyone but it's lasted 9 years. :p) Nice to see a new face in area51, offshoot ........... who gave you directions to this place then?
    Posted by elsadog
    Now that made me pmsl .
    Vote elsa 1 for mod ,
    ooops is it ok to say this ,
    everytime i post or blog or thread lately it gets deleted by
    my new found friend lol.
  • edited March 2011
    Played the Double Stack on Sky tonight. Usual stuff really - I hit 2 pair on river and OP has a bigger 2 pair. I raise with good hole cards and someone calls 4x and hits trips with his junk. Lasted an hour which is good for me.

Played the $8 - $25k guaranteed that I cashed in 8th place a couple of nights ago (I didn't play at all last night) and I've cashed again in 18th place for $250. 

I don't know what to make of it, I really don't.

Still in the $75k guaranteed ....... I'll let you know :o)

ps. I played the last hour of this with Moorman1 to my left so it was obviously an easy tournament to cash in - he finished in 17th ...one place better than me.

• edited March 2011
    how did you do in the $11 40k GTD tonight i played it started well until i ran my KK into AA in the second hour.... played it last night too cashed for $50 but was 3rd for ages until my KK ran into an abusive donkey who called my big raise with 10-7s to hit a 7 on flop then turn which then put me on major tilt but ended up 296th out of 6900 so didnt do too bad
  • edited March 2011
    how did you do in the $11 40k GTD tonight i played it started well until i ran my KK into AA in the second hour.... played it last night too cashed for $50 but was 3rd for ages until my KK ran into an abusive donkey who called my big raise with 10-7s to hit a 7 on flop then turn which then put me on major tilt but ended up 296th out of 6900 so didnt do too bad
    Posted by delaney09

I crashed when my Crispy Duck arrived ........ well you try shredding duck and playing poker at the same time!

I also crashed out of the $75k too.......... while I was eating.

Wish I could multi-task.

• edited March 2011
    LOL im in 10k gtd atm 669 left 550 get paid im 187th so hopefully make the cash in this and bring me to an all proud no loss night
  • edited March 2011
    LOL im in 10k gtd atm 669 left 550 get paid im 187th so hopefully make the cash in this and bring me to an all proud no loss night
    Posted by delaney09

Stay cool and you're in the money  GL

• edited March 2011
    thanks played my first tournament on there yesterday after depositing £30 just a $1.10 mtt and made the final table came third for $272 so from a starting BR of $45 its now $309 nothing major but im happy from what i started with
  • edited March 2011
    thanks played my first tournament on there yesterday after depositing £30 just a $1.10 mtt and made the final table came third for $272 so from a starting BR of $45 its now $309 nothing major but im happy from what i started with
    Posted by delaney09

Stick to the low buy-ins and it will build. If you are only playing mtts then you need to keep a minimum 25 buy-ins as your BR. Variance can be harsh in mtts but the rewards can be huge.

One tip for building your bankroll - play some low buy in sats to the big tournaments. They have big fields but that means you can qualify with a fairly low place. If you do then you don't have to play the big mtt. You can withdraw and the $$$ are put in your account as T$'s and you can fund smaller mtts and more sats with them.

I started with a $10 sat to the sunday warm up and withdrew and worked it up to a main event entry to the 2008 WCOOP.
  • edited March 2011

In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : Stick to the low buy-ins and it will build. If you are only playing mtts then you need to keep a minimum 25 buy-ins as your BR. Variance can be harsh in mtts but the rewards can be huge. One tip for building your bankroll - play some low buy in sats to the big tournaments. They have big fields but that means you can qualify with a fairly low place. If you do then you don't have to play the big mtt. You can withdraw and the $$$ are put in your account as T$'s and you can fund smaller mtts and more sats with them. I started with a $10 sat to the sunday warm up and withdrew and worked it up to a main event entry to the 2008 WCOOP
    Posted by elsadog

yeah thats what i plan to do stick to these $1.10 mtts they are good fun and have impressive prize pools for such little BI i plan to withdraw $200 tomorrow and leave the $110 in to play with the one im in now im now 3rd with 300 left so its going well.... think i will stick to these for a few months get used to the site then start venturing around looking at sats and stuff.... whats a WCOOP entry fee, and how did u get on in the tournament ?
  • edited March 2011
    WCOOP entries vary. I think the lowest is about $50 with the main event being $500 upwards. I came 107th of about 6,000 in the main event $2.5 million.

The world championships run every year. There is a special $5 million, 5th anniversary tournament this Sunday. 
  • edited March 2011
    Played 2 games last night. 

$55 rebuy - finished 40th (bubble at 35)

$35 1 rebuy 1 add-on max - finished mid table

So, plopped in both :o

Onward and upward!

Didn't bother with the BH on Sky - no point really
  • edited March 2011
    Played 2 games last night.  $55 rebuy - finished 40th (bubble at 35) $35 1 rebuy 1 add-on max - finished mid table So, plopped in both :o(  Onward and upward! Didn't bother with the BH on Sky - no point really
    Posted by elsadog

Unless you win, ;o)

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: It's just varience............... : Unless you win, ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW

No use m8 I won my two hands and two bounties this week so that's it until ............. oohhh August I reckon.

• edited March 2011
    Conversation from the Open tonight - 15 mins into it

elsadog> nh
    pryce6 /> cheers bud
    pryce6 /> payback i guess lol
    elsadog /> fantasy poker so far
    pryce6 /> yeah, so many aces, flush vs quads/fh, mental
    DELTA /> ive had AA 4x so fer and AK 2 mental
    elsadog /> RNG is spewing
    DELTA /> so far yh

It's exciting if nothing else so far.