You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets.:
    No match to end in a tie = 1.4.  What you guys think?
    Posted by simuk

Hope you didnt bet this!
  • edited March 2011

We did great to dig out a win today and this should give us extra confidence to take into the next matches.

In particular we were much better with the ball and in the field than previous games.

Imo we should keep this same lineup.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets. : nothing wrong with yardy mate has been our most consistent one day bolwer over last year, if u bring back colly you need to drop a seamer..but they wont so there you are....
    Posted by jesusdog22
    Colly is a better ODI bowler than Yardy imo.

Yardy averages about 50(!) for each wicket he gets in ODI's. Yardy has been really effective in 20/20's cos batsmen feel more pressured to hit boundaries and he ties them up nicely. But he gets milked so easy in ODI's.

And even in Colly's current slump he's the better batting option and of course he's gonna take more catches/run outs and save plenty more runs than Yardy in the field.

EDIT - Here's their ODI bowling stats from cricinfo:

Collingwood

Wickets 111 / Average 38.46 / Economy 4.98 / Strike Rate 46.3

Yardy:

Wickets 21 / Average 51.19 / Economy 4.84 / Strike Rate 63.4

So Yardy has a slightly better economy but his average and strike rate are a lot worse. 
  • edited March 2011
    Never in a million years shud they drop Yardy.

I'm a massive Collingwood fan, but Bopara is the better option, I'm amazed they haven't bowled him.

I would go 2 seamers, drop Anderson, and play Yardy Colly and Ravi.

England do not have the bowling line up to bowl teams out on flat decks. We will win by making massive runs, and containing, squeezing through the middle overs, and fielding well.

So I'd go with a longer batting order, subsequently dropping Trott down the order, we will never set more than 300 against a proper team with him at 3, unless he gets less than 20.

Strauss
    KP
    Bell
    Ravi
    Trott (floating, if strauss out within 5 overs, he goes in at 3)
    Colly
    Prior*
    Bresnan*
    Yardy*
    Swann *
    Broad*

* if KP gets out early, anyone with a star could go in at 3

• edited March 2011
    Our batting lineup has now gone t*ts up with KP going home. Who opens now?
  • edited March 2011
    Morgan suppose to be comming in so thats good news, kp hasnt done much anyway
  • edited March 2011
    now kp has gone and morgan comes in does that actually strengthen the team???

i would presume prior just goes up to open as was the original plan although personally i would open with bell..

i think the team will now be                                        

strauss                                                                      prior                                                                          
    trott
    bell
    morgan
    bopara
    yardy
    bresnan
    swann
    broad
    anderson

but i think it should be

strauss
    bell
    trott
    bopara
    morgan
    prior
    collingwood
    yardy
    bresnan
    swann
    broad

bring anderson in for colly if its a particularly bowler friendly wicket like against the saffers
  • edited March 2011
    now kp has gone and morgan comes in does that actually strengthen the team??? i would presume prior just goes up to open as was the original plan although personally i would open with bell.. i think the team will now be                                         strauss                                                                      prior                                                                           trott bell morgan bopara yardy bresnan swann broad anderson but i think it should be strauss bell trott bopara morgan prior collingwood yardy bresnan swann broad bring anderson in for colly if its a particularly bowler friendly wicket like against the saffers
    Posted by jesusdog22
    No, and it's outragious to even consider that this could be the case.

It's a massive massive MASSIVE blow.

I am devastated :*(
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets. : No, and it's outragious to even consider that this could be the case. It's a massive massive MASSIVE blow. I am devastated :*(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i think it does strangthen the team, after all we have swapped a guy who never gets a decent score for a guy that gets big scores on a regular occasion
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets. : No, and it's outragious to even consider that this could be the case. It's a massive massive MASSIVE blow. I am devastated :*(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Why tho? hes been off form for like forever, 131 runs in 4 inning is hardly that good, Morgans likly to hit that in 2 innings
  • edited March 2011

Because he is one batsman who can take the game away from the opposition.

He's not been out of form, he's done "ok", and threatened that big innings, it was coming.....

In the big game...when we needed it.

Opposition bowling attacks fear him, you can tell that by the way they go nuts when they get him out. He is our 1 danger man, I don't care if he gets 6 golden ducks in a row, he's the first name on the sheet in the next.

Not that it matters, but he also bowled well the other night, albeit on a perfect pitch for him, buit it's another option gone.

Our chances of winning the world cup have decreased massively.

Love Morgan though, let's hope we can bowl first in every game, he only turns up when we bat 2nd. 

Still optimistic......ish..... :(......
  • edited March 2011
    Broad out as well :( to me thats a much bigger loss
  • edited March 2011
    Well JJ, your bezzie mate Trott has gone and injured your man Tahir!
  • edited March 2011
    Because he is one batsman who can take the game away from the opposition. He's not been out of form, he's done "ok", and threatened that big innings, it was coming..... In the big game...when we needed it. Opposition bowling attacks fear him, you can tell that by the way they go nuts when they get him out. He is our 1 danger man, I don't care if he gets 6 golden ducks in a row, he's the first name on the sheet in the next. Not that it matters, but he also bowled well the other night, albeit on a perfect pitch for him, buit it's another option gone. Our chances of winning the world cup have decreased massively. Love Morgan though, let's hope we can bowl first in every game, he only turns up when we bat 2nd.  Still optimistic......ish..... :(......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I've always been a big KP fan and still am but I disagree with this for two reasons.

1. Eng have long since moved on from the days when they needed something special from KP and/or Freddie to win ODI's.

2. We are gaining Morgan which is a huge plus in bolstering our middle order.

In the current set-up, Broad is potentially a bigger loss but Tremlett is another quality replacement even though he lacks Broad's ODI nous and experience. Hopefully he'll adapt to the conditions quickly and can rise to the tight situations.

I'm still optimistic - this cup is wide open and hopefully we can go all the way!
  • edited March 2011
    Our bet is not looking good now with D.Smith and Pollard getting big runs.

Hope Gayle is back for the next game.
  • edited March 2011

I run so bad.

Tahir's took 10 wickets in 3 games, and get injured.

Gayle was leading for the Windies, as well as Tamim for the bangles, and Gayle goes and gets injured in one of his main "run scoring" games.

Tiz just not fair.
  • edited March 2011
    Why could it not of been anderson who got injured instead of broad he has been shocking the whole tournament, he doesn't have a great record as it is in the sub continent but strauss always insists in him bowling at the death, with them final 2 overs he bowled extra after extra... we can never make anything simple 10 overs to knock off the tail end and we didnt even look close to taking another wicket oh well one game left vs the W.Indies safe to say the way we are playing we won't make the Q/F and don't deserve to with displays like that.
  • edited March 2011
    Why could it not of been anderson who got injured instead of broad he has been shocking the whole tournament, he doesn't have a great record as it is in the sub continent but strauss always insists in him bowling at the death, with them final 2 overs he bowled extra after extra... we can never make anything simple 10 overs to knock off the tail end and we didnt even look close to taking another wicket oh well one game left vs the W.Indies safe to say the way we are playing we won't make the Q/F and don't deserve to with displays like that.
    Posted by delaney09
    I think the way we are playing, it's safe to say nothing at all!

As long as we treat the Windies like a giant rather than a minnow, we'll be fine.

Also, we should get extra points for making this group so exciting - it would be a travesty if we get knocked out now!
  • edited March 2011
    67 off 100 balls......

Set himself up perfectly to accellerate on a tricky pitch, he couldn't play himself in any better.

Takes the powerplay, and mis-times one str8 down long offs throat.

Has there ever been a number three in the history of ODI cricket who struggles to hit the ball off the square?????

It was embarassing watching it. The guy just can't do it. It's not his fault.

DROP HIM !!!!!!!!

A quote from his friend and ex team-mate.....

"If I was playing for the opposition, I wouldn't want to get Trott out" - Nick Knight.

Sez it all.
  • edited March 2011
    67 off 100 balls...... Set himself up perfectly to accellerate on a tricky pitch, he couldn't play himself in any better. Takes the powerplay, and mis-times one str8 down long offs throat. Has there ever been a number three in the history of ODI cricket who struggles to hit the ball off the square????? It was embarassing watching it. The guy just can't do it. It's not his fault. DROP HIM !!!!!!!! A quote from his friend and ex team-mate..... "If I was playing for the opposition, I wouldn't want to get Trott out" - Nick Knight. Sez it all.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The problem is Doh, we're not Aus, SA or Ind.

Our batting is simply not consistent enough at the top level to afford to drop the weight of runs he brings to the side.

His job is just to score - it's up to the others to keep up a decent pace and throw the bat as much as they can in the last 8/10 overs.
  • edited March 2011

Don't spose anyone knows where I stand with my main bet???

I can't find the individual team leading scorers anywhere.........

I think Tamim is comfortable, but Gayle probably needs a 100 against england (sigh).........

Anyone know a link to the stats or something?
  • edited March 2011
    Have a look on www.espncricinfo.com they all the results and stats on there.
  • edited March 2011
    Don't spose anyone knows where I stand with my main bet??? I can't find the individual team leading scorers anywhere......... I think Tamim is comfortable, but Gayle probably needs a 100 against england (sigh)......... Anyone know a link to the stats or something?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think with Imrul Kayes getting 73 today and Tamim getting 0, Kayes is leading.

Not sure about Gayle
  • edited March 2011

Thanx Dave.

I was wrong !!!!

Tamim is in trouble too.

Bang 
    Kayes - 184
    Tamim - 152
    Junaid - 122
    Shakib -  122

Windies
    Smith - 202
    Pollard - 154
    Gayle - 119
    Bravo - 112

Both have 1 game left.....

Conclusion......I'm fooooookd !!!!! Gayle missing out with injury against Ireland was a big blow :(

Miracles do happen I guess.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanx Dave. I was wrong !!!! Tamim is in trouble too. Bang  Kayes - 184 Tamim - 152 Junaid - 122 Shakib -  122 Windies Smith - 202 Pollard - 154 Gayle - 119 Bravo - 112 Both have 1 game left..... Conclusion......I'm fooooookd !!!!! Gayle missing out with injury against Ireland was a big blow :( Miracles do happen I guess.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If the windies get through then maybe Gayle will have the QF to catch up.

Fingers crossed
  • edited March 2011
    Thanx Dave. I was wrong !!!! Tamim is in trouble too. Bang  Kayes - 184 Tamim - 152 Junaid - 122 Shakib -  122 Windies Smith - 202 Pollard - 154 Gayle - 119 Bravo - 112 Both have 1 game left..... Conclusion......I'm fooooookd !!!!! Gayle missing out with injury against Ireland was a big blow :( Miracles do happen I guess.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The windies have two group games left. England tomorrow and India on Sunday, so at least Gayle has time to catch up. He certainly will be up for it against us!
  • edited March 2011

Won the toss :) Bat first.

We need to get 350, then bowl them out for 340, with Gayle getting 170 n.o :):):)

Amazed by that team selection, wtf is Luke Wright doing there. 

3 spinners on that wicket ftw.

Wright will go all over the park on that wicket tho, Ravi needs to loosen up!

edit - 22 off 8 !!!! Trott's on fire !! Maybe someone has had a word with him, much better !!!!!
  • edited March 2011

Never in doubt, was it? 8- />
  • edited March 2011

All bets gone wrong do far. I have three remaining...

england to win the tournament the only realistic chance I have, after Gayle and Tahir have both missed 2 of the group games.

Really disappointed about Tahir as he started the tournement really well.

To add some extra interest this week, I'm gonna have a tenner on the following teams making the semis @ 8/1.....

Pakistan
    India
    South Africa
    england

The middle 2 shud be nailed on, I have a sneaky feeling for the Windies this morning, but you can't really ignore the formbook, so I'll stick with Pakistan.

And no doubt if the first three come up, england will make me sweat on saturday, but thats standard.

Great to have it back, and finally it gets serious!!! Shud be some cracking games his week.

• edited March 2011
    All bets gone wrong do far. I have three remaining... england to win the tournament the only realistic chance I have, after Gayle and Tahir have both missed 2 of the group games. Really disappointed about Tahir as he started the tournement really well. To add some extra interest this week, I'm gonna have a tenner on the following teams making the semis @ 8/1..... Pakistan India South Africa england The middle 2 shud be nailed on, I have a sneaky feeling for the Windies this morning, but you can't really ignore the formbook, so I'll stick with Pakistan. And no doubt if the first three come up, england will make me sweat on saturday, but thats standard. Great to have it back, and finally it gets serious!!! Shud be some cracking games his week.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think Australia for me, India's bowling has looked very weak so far. It will be a great game!

South Africa will win it.