You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions?

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat

We are now just a week away from the end of the January - March qualification period for Team Sky Poker. Three new names will be added to the Team once that process has reached it's conclusion.

When we reached this stage of the October - December qualifying period, & into the weeks which followed, & particularly the "Play Offs", many players seemed to be confused by the qualification process.

This was  bit disappointing, from every side of the fence.

The info had been up on the Site since the very start, & players only had to press a tab to view it, & then ask any questions.

Equally, I think Sky Poker must share some of the blame. It became clear - belatedly - that many players did not understand the rules & criteria, so some blame sits there, too.

Never mind who was or was not to blame, I think we need to get it out there clearer, better, & earlier, this time.

So, if you have any questions about the current qualification for Team Sky Poker, stick them on this Thread, please.

I'll be Posting a few Links & rules excerpts shortly, too.

Comments

• edited March 2011

The main TSP Page is, I hope, HERE 
  • edited March 2011

...and the League Details are HERE

Please note, that TSP League is "sortable" via Cash, MTT, or SNG, simply by clicking the Tabs at the top of the League.
  • edited March 2011

So, if I read it right, the Qualifying Tourneys will be on Sunday 10th April. I think......

Are we all agreed on that?
  • edited March 2011
    Can you claim expenses for washing the hoody ?

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions?:
    So, if I read it right, the Qualifying Tourneys will be on Sunday 10th April. I think...... Are we all agreed on that?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah, second Sunday of April for league ending March.
  • edited March 2011
    Can you claim expenses for washing the hoody ?
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Nope, that's the job of the Kit Man, aka the Team Manager.
  • edited March 2011
    Not a question about qualification, but will the team keep growing over the next few years?

Or will you drop some players?

If so how would you go about doing so?

Least rake earnt?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions? : Nope, that's the job of the Kit Man, aka the Team Manager.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sounds like they're too well looked after.
  • edited March 2011

Will there be further 'guests' invited into the TSP like WPTJon in the future?.

This is NOT a critiscm btw as I hope more players getting the Sky Poker name involved in the live scene, the better. 

Is Mr. Orford going to play for the team soon?...Walsall possibly? 
  • edited March 2011
    Will there be further 'guests' invited into the TSP like WPTJon in the future?. This is NOT a critiscm btw as I hope more players getting the Sky Poker name involved in the live scene, the better.  Is Mr. Orford going to play for the team soon?...Walsall possibly? 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Other "Guest" Players? Nothing has been decided, but yes, every possibility that some Guests will be introduced from time to time. Jon did superbly at The Vic, so who knows, he may even get considered again, too. Nothing has been decided.

Mr Orford is indeed scheduled to make his TSP-GUKPT appearance at Walsall in April. A large Rail is expected at Walsall for that. Orford Railers are not advised to book an overnight Room in readiness for Day Two, though.
  • edited March 2011
    just one question......can i have honorary membership..:)
  • edited March 2011
    Just a thought...

When the final 30 in each category are known I presume they are sent an email to confirm their place?
    Would it be wise to not only send the links to the rules etc but also to break key things down into bullet point format - thus explaining in simplistic terms the package they win, what is expected from them da de da etc!! 

Also, a text reminder to with the link to the rules in it etc. 

Personally I have read the rules back in October but have forgotten by now what is involved etc and tbh I cba to look again because I get the jist of it, so if I were to have made it then a gentle reminder of a few key points would be greatful to freshen the mind. 

Just a thought as I say and I know everyone is different, just my tupence worth. 
  • edited March 2011
    Q1 Who let Orford in?
    Q2 What time do they start on 10 April?
    Q3 Do you like saveloys?
  • edited March 2011
    Have any rules or things changed since the last iteration?
  • edited March 2011
    any chance of something for the mediocre player....oh, you already did by letting orford in!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Not a question about qualification, but will the team keep growing over the next few years? Or will you drop some players? If so how would you go about doing so? Least rake earnt?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    This is what we really need to understand.......

No point grinding away getting SPT and THEN finding out you have no chance staying in after 3 months.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions? : This is what we really need to understand....... No point grinding away getting SPT and THEN finding out you have no chance staying in after 3 months.
    Posted by stien
    Depends on how much you rake I suppose - it isn't possible to still play as part of TSP if you don't get enough C4P for Sky to match and put you into live tournaments therefore 3 months will be the maximum stay for some players, possibly. 

As long as you are contributing to the team i.e. doing live shows, interviews etc and you are seen as providing a positive image for sky then I suppose it's hard for them to drop players, especially if they are binking as well!! I think the onus is on the TSP members to show their worth and imo I can't see them dropping people after 3 months cos I reckon they want to give players who rake enough the opportunity to be a TSP representative for as long as possible. 

• edited March 2011
    Is the final qualification tournament a russian roulette tourney? :-)
  • edited March 2011
    Is the final qualification tournament a russian roulette tourney? :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    lol. No, though some of the STT qualifiers would probably be quite happy if it were.
  • edited March 2011
    damn I forgot about this. Gonna have to grind every tourney for a week now :(
  • edited March 2011

I'll reply to all the questions in the morning, or later tonight, Guys, bit pulled out at the mo.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions? : Depends on how much you rake I suppose - it isn't possible to still play as part of TSP if you don't get enough C4P for Sky to match and put you into live tournaments therefore 3 months will be the maximum stay for some players, possibly.  As long as you are contributing to the team i.e. doing live shows, interviews etc and you are seen as providing a positive image for sky then I suppose it's hard for them to drop players, especially if they are binking as well!! I think the onus is on the TSP members to show their worth and imo I can't see them dropping people after 3 months cos I reckon they want to give players who rake enough the opportunity to be a TSP representative for as long as possible. 
    Posted by dylan12
    This is the point nobody knows for sure how team members stay on, is it rake dependant, results dependent, great studio performance dependant or is it simply Tikay likes me dependant (only joking TK) or are they all staying on as Sky create the biggest poker team out there? It would be nice to know.
  • edited March 2011
    this might not be the right place but hopefully gets answered...

fwiw I think it's fairly bad that Sky don't enter the team in the UKIPTs. I know the tour is sponsored by w/e site but they have 100pc more exposure to not just players but also the media. Look how much coverage they receive in comparison, + if one of the lads gets on the feature tbl in their Sky hoody it's like wiiii for you. The tourneys are also 500 not 1.5 so more of the team can play more tourneys.

If it's bcos we don't want to be playing in a tour sponsored by ***zzz then that's dumb bcos everyone knows about that site anyway, you'll be gaining far more customers than you lose by simply pointing us to follow our team in a tournament sponsored by someone else.

TY
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions? : This is the point nobody knows for sure how team members stay on, is it rake dependant, results dependent, great studio performance dependant or is it simply Tikay likes me dependant (only joking TK) or are they all staying on as Sky create the biggest poker team out there? It would be nice to know.
    Posted by stien

Rake is obviously key here, if they can't rake enough then they can't carry on no matter about the other factors. 

• edited March 2011
    this might not be the right place but hopefully gets answered... fwiw I think it's fairly bad that Sky don't enter the team in the UKIPTs. I know the tour is sponsored by w/e site but they have 100pc more exposure to not just players but also the media. Look how much coverage they receive in comparison, + if one of the lads gets on the feature tbl in their Sky hoody it's like wiiii for you. The tourneys are also 500 not 1.5 so more of the team can play more tourneys. If it's bcos we don't want to be playing in a tour sponsored by ***zzz then that's dumb bcos everyone knows about that site anyway, you'll be gaining far more customers than you lose by simply pointing us to follow our team in a tournament sponsored by someone else. TY
    Posted by pryce6

Good point!  Deffo rather play on that tour than the GKUPT.

Also the point about clarifying how many people will stay on etc is important for anyone who wants to put in what is '3months' grinding to just get the shot at this.  However Sky may not have a concise and exact plan for anything past the short to mid term as this is still a new venture and has to be constantly assessed and tweaked so as to provide what sky are attempting to whilst adding good value for those who use the site.

It would be cool if there was some way to have more 'sky live outings' to other events such as a DTD grand prix or something (the mass runner small buyin events they hold) as those are the sort of comps people could buy into without being staked etc. Just a thought.

• edited March 2011

As being a previous qualifier to this very tournament, I think I should add some opinions and advise following my experience in TSP.

Being a part of TSP could be a fantastic experience for anybody and is a fantastic idea by sky to make ordinary online players, into something a bit less ordinary. When I had first qualified for TSP I had absolutely no idea what any of it was about. And I fully understand that not only was this a new experience for me, but I was also very new to sky poker also.  I hope the points I make in this post does not offend anybody, but hope that it may make the experience for future TSP’s more of an awesome experience that it could be.

I’m not very good at posts and writing so I’m just going start with my experience. My biggest worries about wining TSP was the lack of information and my job. For me just to get 1 day off work in 2 weeks time can be a massive battle. Tikay has said above “all information is available just by pressing a tab” even now I read that and it gives no information what so ever.  

Just days after winning this tournament I had seen on sky 865 that “team sky poker” would be heading up to Manchester for the GUKPT. I had no idea if this included myself and received absolutely no information about this. I would suggest an email of package details including time and dates with sufficient notice, to make this an experience for the working class and not just for the unemployed and the poker pros.

It was only when I appeared on master cash and of course sky pulsed it to watch, and that Richard Orford suggested that I may be invited to SPT Luton. Again, I received absolutely no information about this, but arranged to book the day off work in case I may be invited. Two days before the event I had to email Tikay to ask if I would be invited, to which he replied “of course and that I would be a guest player”. I was expecting at this event to meet the rest of the team and to be made very welcome and even some red carpet treatment. However I was never introduce to the team, and Tikay said much less than 10 words to me and spent less that 10 seconds with me, all very disappointing for the time and effort I had giving to TSP. Although for me it was still a fantastic and exciting experience.

I guess what I am saying are lots more planning and lots lots more information is needed to make this a fun experience for everyone. Even now I have had no idea what the double points for cash means to me if anything, Don’t know if I will be invited to a £1000 event, and don’t even know if I am still a part of the team.

I hope some of the fine detail of this can be sorted out, so all players can make the most out of this amazing opportunity.

• edited March 2011
    As being a previous qualifier to this very tournament, I think I should add some opinions and advise following my experience in TSP. Being a part of TSP could be a fantastic experience for anybody and is a fantastic idea by sky to make ordinary online players, into something a bit less ordinary. When I had first qualified for TSP I had absolutely no idea what any of it was about. And I fully understand that not only was this a new experience for me, but I was also very new to sky poker also.   I hope the points I make in this post does not offend anybody, but hope that it may make the experience for future TSP’s more of an awesome experience that it could be. I’m not very good at posts and writing so I’m just going start with my experience. My biggest worries about wining TSP was the lack of information and my job. For me just to get 1 day off work in 2 weeks time can be a massive battle. Tikay has said above “all information is available just by pressing a tab” even now I read that and it gives no information what so ever.   Just days after winning this tournament I had seen on sky 865 that “team sky poker” would be heading up to Manchester for the GUKPT. I had no idea if this included myself and received absolutely no information about this. I would suggest an email of package details including time and dates with sufficient notice, to make this an experience for the working class and not just for the unemployed and the poker pros. It was only when I appeared on master cash and of course sky pulsed it to watch, and that Richard Orford suggested that I may be invited to SPT Luton. Again, I received absolutely no information about this, but arranged to book the day off work in case I may be invited. Two days before the event I had to email Tikay to ask if I would be invited, to which he replied “of course and that I would be a guest player”. I was expecting at this event to meet the rest of the team and to be made very welcome and even some red carpet treatment. However I was never introduce to the team, and Tikay said much less than 10 words to me and spent less that 10 seconds with me, all very disappointing for the time and effort I had giving to TSP. Although for me it was still a fantastic and exciting experience. I guess what I am saying are lots more planning and lots lots more information is needed to make this a fun experience for everyone. Even now I have had no idea what the double points for cash means to me if anything, Don’t know if I will be invited to a £1000 event, and don’t even know if I am still a part of the team. I hope some of the fine detail of this can be sorted out, so all players can make the most out of this amazing opportunity.
    Posted by SolidStan1
    Hi Darren,

I am doing PTP this evening, so am tied up in several Tournaments at the mo, but I have to answer this briefly now, & then, after my PTP, more fully later.

Firstly, I apologise 100% if I did not give you the time & attention at Luton you deserved. So many faces, so many names, my head spins at those Events, but I'm really sorry.

As to the lack of Info you received, there is, I feel bound to point out, a grave misunderstanding, or "disconnect", here. 

When you won the TSP Membership, I contacted you, by telephone. You said that you wished to "pass" the Membership to "4FingersAA".  I said I'd seek guidance from upstairs, but eventually, after much furrowed brows, we felt it inappropriate, & would cause unrest, suspicion, & be fundamentally unfair on others, who had just "missed" qualification. Some of this was discussed on this Forum, & will still be there, if someone cares to look for it. Discussion also took place, I think, with "4FingersAA".

You were very nervous about it, but I said "look Darren, there is NO rush, take your time, accept it, you'll be just fine". This went on for some weeks, over several 'phone convos.

Eventually, on February 1st, you agreed to accept it. On February 2nd, you wrote me a lovely note, via e-Mail, confirming your acceptance, & thanked me, beautifully & kindly, for being so patient with you. The GUKPT Manchester was January 28th - 30th - days BEFORE you accepted TSP Membership, unless I have got my head in a tizzle here. And I may have.......

I'll e-Mail or ring you tomorrow, so this misunderstanding can be cleared up privately, as, I believe, it should be, but given you have Posted as above, I feel I do need to explain to others that things are not quite what they may seem, after reading your Post.

I hope I have not misrepresented anything, or got any dates wrong, but what I have written here is my honest recollection of everything, & I still have your e-Mail dated February 2nd.

I'll ring you or write to you tomorrow, Darren.

Feel free to respond on thread if you feel I have not explained the situation as it actually was.

Thanks.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Team Sky Poker Qualification, any questions? : I was under the impression that if you qualified via the poker points/ 3 month tourney that you were invited to join the team as a full player, not a guest player, the way you describe it seems that the TSP has a core player team and a guest/3 month temporary member, which seems like a two tier system.
    Posted by loonytoons
    That's a little disingenous, Loony.

ALL TSP Members are invited to ALL TSP's, & as they do not pay, they are classified as "Guests". So yes, I told Darren that he would be "invited as a Guest". People either qualify Online, buy-in direct, or are "Guests", that's the only 3 categories. So all TSP-ers are invited to all SPT's as "Guests".

Really, I don't have a need to defend anything here. We make mistakes, lots of them, or I certainly do, but there is no hidden meaning, & deffo no porkies.

Darren's Invite as a Guest was exactly in line with every other TSP Memebrs's invite - they are all deemed to be "Guests". Any TSP Member will confirm that.

I am mid my PTP Tourneys right now, so this is a bit awkward right now, but I'll field any questions, any time.
  • edited March 2011
    the SPT events are not about tsp members anyway, what was expected? be carried in on a giant pillow whilst you wore a a robe and crown with semi-naked women feeding you grapes? 

• edited March 2011
    I have no idea why loonies post was deleted (could have been worded better yes) and the same with my response and had tikay not "quoted" the question then his response would have looked stupid in the thread - it was obviously a post that looney wanted answered and there is nothing to hide behind as tikay has explained in his response so deffo no need to delete - common sense ftw plz mods