You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HitmanRV v Sky Dave - Chess Battle Epic inside!

edited May 2011 in The Shed
Back before the world of online poker, I used to play a bit of chess. Many week nights were spent in the company of some old guy muttering away inanely to himself while not having a clue. Then I'd switch off Sky Poker fronted by Tikay* and head off to the chess club. 

I've not played for a while, but who fancies a game? Only the honest need apply. None of those who use the computers, etc. 

Come on then, not all at once...

* - I love Tikay really and he knows it. He also knows I love to give him the rubdowns.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Checkmate?:
    Back before the world of online poker, I used to play a bit of chess. Many week nights were spent in the company of some old guy muttering away inanely to himself while not having a clue. Then I'd switch off Sky Poker fronted by Tikay* and head off to the chess club.  I've not played for a while, but who fancies a game? Only the honest need apply. None of those who use the computers, etc.  Come on then, not all at once... * - I love Tikay really and he knows it. He also knows I love to give him the rubdowns.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Dave, used to play a bit at primary school, bout 38 years ago lol.

Hows does it work on line then, will give ya a quick warm-up game if ya like, prob will be quick lol, Or is it like one of those marathons where u make a move, get on with work or poker[lol] then come back to it hours later?

ps. one of mi aquaintances at Fulham,[a Lithiuanian],had told me he runs a top chess & bridge club, we call him 'Tiny' a real ole character, i'll find out his real name!!
  • edited March 2011
    You'd basically post your move on the thread, Hitman. I'll keep a track of it and post diagrams on the thread after each move to keep the folks at home enthralled ;)

To be fair, when Garry Kasparov tried to take on the whole world (including the use of software by both sides, admittedly), it generated a pretty big story... 

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Checkmate?:
    You'd basically post your move on the thread, Hitman. I'll keep a track of it and post diagrams on the thread after each move to keep the folks at home enthralled ;)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Ok lets do it !!! If u can do the IT stuff, I'll just be the 'Wild Man of Skypoker Chess' LOL !!

Do we toss for first move or black/white, i call heads if so, u toss, u prob better at it than me LOLOL

• edited March 2011
    ps can we take the board into Al's bar, then i can order a Guinness & summat for u while we play ??
  • edited March 2011
    I'm not allowed in Al's bar. :P

Right, to the chess. You can have White - over to you sir!

White: Hitman_RV
    Black: Sky Dave

• edited March 2011
    ps can we take the board into Al's bar, then i can order a Guinness & summat for u while we play ??
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Sorry Hitman, you know the rules.....NO MODS ALLOWED. 

I may allow you to play in the beer garden though if Dave asks me really really nicely...

Tip for your chess match mate.....KING to 4,3.....
  • edited March 2011
    lol!!!

This is gonna be one of those threads that I have absolutely no interest in, but one which I wont be able to stop looking at just to see whats happening !!!!

My uncle used to beat me in 2/3 moves or something ridic like that???

If you are both v good.....you could top ckd's world record longest thread attempt........

glglgl !!!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Checkmate? : Sorry Hitman, you know the rules.....NO MODS ALLOWED.  I may allow you to play in the beer garden though if Dave asks me really really nicely... Tip for your chess match mate.....KING to 4,3.....
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I only go to pubs I'm welcome in ;)
  • edited March 2011
    lol!!! This is gonna be one of those threads that I have absolutely no interest in, but one which I wont be able to stop looking at just to see whats happening !!!! My uncle used to beat me in 2/3 moves or something ridic like that??? If you are both v good.....you could top ckd's world record longest thread attempt........ glglgl !!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol, or the worlds shortest cause not that good, rite don't know the lingo but,

1, pawn e2 to e4 [is that good]

ty sir, GL

tnx Al, will take my board into the beer garden as weather is nice!
  • edited March 2011
    lol!!! This is gonna be one of those threads that I have absolutely no interest in, but one which I wont be able to stop looking at just to see whats happening !!!! My uncle used to beat me in 2/3 moves or something ridic like that??? If you are both v good.....you could top ckd's world record longest thread attempt........ glglgl !!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I used to be alright at chess, not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination. Played a few tournaments abroad, took it pretty seriously as a kid, then realised there are more fun things such as poker ;)

The game should be fun either way. Doubt it will go as long as ckd's thread, but any heckling/help/advice you guys want to give is always welcomed!
  • edited March 2011
    Hmm, a bit of the king's pawn action is it Hitman? Nice. Yes, it's one of the two main opening moves along with d2-d4.

As for me, I'm going to go with my old favourite - the Caro Kann. 1...c7-c6. 

Your go.

Sky Dave

HitmanRV
  • edited March 2011
    Caro nan !!! What ????

Rite, HitHorse[lol] b1 to c3, aint lost yet LEDGE!!!
  • edited March 2011
    OK, you've called the knight a horse. Loving your work - way to insta-tilt a serious chess player, along with 'prawns', 'castles', and 'huffing'. :P

Sky Dave

HitmanRV

• edited March 2011
    OK, you've called the knight a horse. Loving your work - way to insta-tilt a serious chess player, along with 'prawns', 'castles', and 'huffing'. :P Sky Dave HitmanRV
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    lol !!
  • edited March 2011
    pawn b2 to b4, ty
  • edited March 2011
    e7-e5

HitmanRV has given me the centre. Oops ;)
  • edited March 2011
    pawn b2 to b4, ty
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Nice move HR,  SD hasn't seen the obvious trap .  Mate in 5 moves I think 

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: HitmanRV v Sky Dave - Chess Battle Epic inside!:
    e7-e5 HitmanRV has given me the centre. Oops ;)
    Posted by Sky_Dave[/QUOT

thus setting up the 'North Stand Ambush' , Pawn D2 to D4
  • edited March 2011
    Personally I think you should use these chess men HR  ;o)

• edited March 2011
    Personally I think you should use these chess men HR  ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    Whats happenin to that bishop on the right !!!!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: HitmanRV v Sky Dave - Chess Battle Epic inside! : Whats happenin to that bishop on the right !!!!!!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

I think the smile on the pawn right behind him tells it all 
  • edited March 2011
    Dave, wanted to send u a pm bout our convo sat, but message sayin 'this board too busy', any ideas ?
  • edited March 2011
    Sent you a reply Hitman. Not sure what that message is all about...

Right, chess game - not too sure on the North Stand thingy. I reckon I'll be alright with a tin hat and some swapping off...

Sky Dave

Hitman_RV

Over to you squire...
  • edited March 2011
    Sent you a reply Hitman. Not sure what that message is all about... Right, chess game - not too sure on the North Stand thingy. I reckon I'll be alright with a tin hat and some swapping off... Sky Dave Hitman_RV Over to you squire...
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Happy with the swapping off lol!!

pawn takes pawn!! got ya where i want ya now LOL!! Fell for the Kasparov Queenie trick then!!

Obviously not used to this level/standard of higher plane thinkin Dave, it does shock a few people, find that, at the poker table too !!
  • edited March 2011
    Strangely enough this is quite gripping.

I'll give you a game next Dave if you're up for it?
  • edited March 2011
    Strangely enough this is quite gripping. I'll give you a game next Dave if you're up for it?
    Posted by Darntootin

You're on Darntootin. We'll pop it on the end of this game if that's okay with you? 

• edited March 2011
    The time for swapsies is well and truly underway. I'll assume you'll be taking that one ;)

Sky Dave

Hitman_RV
  • edited March 2011
    Sweet, look forward to it.

Should be an easy game for you, knowing how the pieces move is the extent of my chess knowledge :)
  • edited March 2011
    got messge ty Dave, understand, will reply after work thnx again

Rite, Will Take ur Queen with Ma HitHorse, as i believe if i use king , then i canna castle later if required, correct?
  • edited March 2011

Just re-assure me that the time taken before moves is actually because you have better/more important things to do with your day than sit playing online chess, and not because you are actually studying every possible move in gr8 detail????