You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT

Comments

• edited March 2011
    You say that you have only played live once and didnt cash. Did you not enjoy the experience ?

What do you see yourself doing in two years time ? Still grinding away at cash, but making money even quicker ! ?

Or do you have other poker ambitions ?

How quickly can you assess the ability of a newbie on a table ?

Do you regularly review your own play, or only when you have had a poor session ?

Have you ever read the ingredients of salami ?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT:
    Whos your best mate on here? how many hours roughly do u spend playing a weel?
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i have a irl friend who plays microstakes but thats about it, dont really talk to anyone else much on here. I prefer not to be friends with people i have to play against.

i usually play somewhere between 60-80 hours a month
  • edited March 2011
    hiya Jon your sitting in a cash game theres a player constantly raising into you your card dead,is there a point you fight back with a2c or do you jusr re-raise straight away with a2c anyway just to let them know you wont be bullied thx m8 sean..
    Posted by stokefc
    the joy of cash games is you can wait for a hand. I wouldnt re raise them straight away until i knew for certain they were getting out of line. i mean someone could raise you 3 times in a row but have it every time. If i raise and keep getting re raised then i would just adjust what hands im willing to stack off with. If someones consistently re raising then i can say well i have no problem getting it in with AJ here because my opponent is probably re raising me with worse.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Offshoot. What book were you reading in Oz? How much did it help you? Do you eat porridge now you live in Scotland?
    Posted by DrSharp
    it was called something like "the idiots guide to poker". It just taught me the basic rules and stuff, not that helpful really. To tell the truth i havent really read any poker books. Ive read maybe half of Harrington on Holdem and bits and pieces of super system, this was still when i wasl a losing player but i dont think i absorbed the information well or was able to apply it to my game. I think i was weaktight then aswell, i sometimes knew it was right to raise but i was scared to do it in case i lost my money.

It wasnt really books that helped me, I actually remember watching a point where it clicked is when i found a video on 2+2 that someone had posted of themselves playing poker, must have been before youtube was popular cos it took ages to download but just watching someone actually raise, cbet and take down pot after pot was a revelation. I'd read thats the correct strategy but whenever i tried it i still seemed to lose but now i actually had proof that it worked, i could see it with my own eyes. The guy bet with nothing and everyone folded, i was always certain if i bet people would know i had nothing and raise me.. So next time i played i stuck with it and kept cbetting and it started working. now i didnt even have to wait for a hand to make money! Ive realised since then that if you wanna get better, just look at the people who seem to be winning all the money, and try to figure what theyre doing that youre not. Theres always someone better than you no matter how good you thin k you are.

Living in Scotland my diet consists solely of haggis.
  • edited March 2011
    Good stuff so far offshoot! 

My question... if Sky bought you win... would you play the SPT final in Notts?
  • edited March 2011
    Hi mate

My question is: What advice would you give to young players who think they can play the game full time and see poker as a profession?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : it was called something like "the idiots guide to poker". It just taught me the basic rules and stuff, not that helpful really. To tell the truth i havent really read any poker books. Ive read maybe half of Harrington on Holdem and bits and pieces of super system, this was still when i wasl a losing player but i dont think i absorbed the information well or was able to apply it to my game. I think i was weaktight then aswell, i sometimes knew it was right to raise but i was scared to do it in case i lost my money. It wasnt really books that helped me, I actually remember watching a point where it clicked is when i found a video on 2+2 that someone had posted of themselves playing poker, must have been before youtube was popular cos it took ages to download but just watching someone actually raise, cbet and take down pot after pot was a revelation. I'd read thats the correct strategy but whenever i tried it i still seemed to lose but now i actually had proof that it worked, i could see it with my own eyes. The guy bet with nothing and everyone folded, i was always certain if i bet people would know i had nothing and raise me.. So next time i played i stuck with it and kept cbetting and it started working. now i didnt even have to wait for a hand to make money! Ive realised since then that if you wanna get better, just look at the people who seem to be winning all the money, and try to figure what theyre doing that youre not. Theres always someone better than you no matter how good you thin k you are. Living in Scotland my diet consists solely of haggis.
    Posted by offshoot

Do you prefer clockwise Haggis or anti-clockwise Haggis?

• edited March 2011
    Dear Jon 

Your advice above on playing rag aces is golden.

OK,  couple of well questions (hope you haven't answered these earlier)

What is the single biggest pot that you have been involved in on Sky and did you win or lose it ?

Is there any current sky cash regular who you really fear and avoid playing with/against ?
    (You don't need to name him / her)

Thanks

Bryan

• edited March 2011
    Hi mate My question is: What advice would you give to young players who think they can play the game full time and see poker as a profession?
    Posted by pryce6
    +1
  • edited March 2011
    You say that you have only played live once and didnt cash. Did you not enjoy the experience ? What do you see yourself doing in two years time ? Still grinding away at cash, but making money even quicker ! ? Or do you have other poker ambitions ? How quickly can you assess the ability of a newbie on a table ? Do you regularly review your own play, or only when you have had a poor session ? Have you ever read the ingredients of salami ?
    Posted by penguin7
    i didnt enjoy the experience much tbh. I hadnt got much sleep so was extremely tired, i was card dead all day, made some rookie mistakes and then i shoved Q6 into JJ and was out. The only positive was that i got to play with Liv Boeree.

In 2 years time?i will most likely still be grinding away at cash. Hopefully still making good money. Ive not really thought about it tbh, maybe i should set some goals to achieve. Its hard to say what poker will be like in 2 years time though.

Usually if someonee sits down at my table and i dont recognise their name i assume theyre an amateur, you can usually tell straghit away if someones good by how often they raise/3bet/how much they bet. Bad players give themselves away straight away by limping/minraising/calling too much. It only takes a few hands to categorise someone i think, then you can obviously change you opinion if they arent bad or whatever but thats rarely the case.

i review my play in my head but never look at hand histories or anything. Im too lazy. I will usually just go over specific hands that i remember which i feel i played badly and think about  what i did wrong and how to prevent it in the future. Or thiink about general overall strategies to turn things which i think, or my opponents think are my leaks, into postives.

i havent read the ingredients. I prefer to be ignorant. Im sure theyre terrible but all that really matters to me is what it takes like. If it tastes ok then im not fussy.  
  • edited March 2011
    Good stuff so far offshoot!  My question... if Sky bought you win... would you play the SPT final in Notts?
    Posted by simuk
    lol probably not. Nottingham is far away and i dont drive.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi mate My question is: What advice would you give to young players who think they can play the game full time and see poker as a profession?
    Posted by pryce6
    Poker gets harder and harder every year. If youre young its probably not the best idea to throw all your eggs into one basket. It always gonna be possible to have a job and play poker. If you ever get to the point where youre making so much money that poker seems like truly the best long term option then go for it. I would say anyone that hasnt crushed 50nl or 100nl consistently for a long time shouldnt turn pro. I would say anyone who plays tourneys should never turn pro.

It all depends on your situation though. I was working rubbish jobs and playing poker was making me so much more money that it was dumb to continue working those jobs. If i'd had a decent career it probably wouldnt have been such an easy decision.
  • edited March 2011
    why did you pick the name offshoot?

lol hope no ones already asked that one.

peter
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : Do you prefer clockwise Haggis or anti-clockwise Haggis?
    Posted by elsadog
    i actually breed a rare combination of the two. They said it couldnt be done, but with some specially crafted high heels i was able to balance out the Haggis legs in order for mating. I now eat onlu fully directional haggis.
  • edited March 2011

Do you play omaha?

If so, what's the highest omaha cash level you could make money at consistantly?

If not, why not?

Have you tried? - Did it help or hinder your holdem game?

------------------------

Who's the best cash player in the world? If it's the obvious answer of "Ivey" - who's 2nd best?
  • edited March 2011
    Dear Jon  Your advice above on playing rag aces is golden. OK,  couple of well questions (hope you haven't answered these earlier) What is the single biggest pot that you have been involved in on Sky and did you win or lose it ? Is there any current sky cash regular who you really fear and avoid playing with/against ? (You don't need to name him / her) Thanks Bryan  
    Posted by inka2003
    the biggest one i can remember was about 3k or something so not huge. It was 10/20 and the table had broke, i was about to leave and a fish sits down. First hand i have K9, flop is 569 or something all hearts, i bet he shoves i call, he has KJ with jack of hearts, River Jack. Fish instaleaves. I probably have played a bigger pot at sometime but i always remember this hand because it annoyed me greatly.

There are plenty of players i wouldnt play HU but no one that i really avoid at 6max.
  • edited March 2011
    why did you pick the name offshoot? lol hope no ones already asked that one. peter
    Posted by NODEAL
    -10 points for you. Someone has already asked and the incredibly dull answer is i just thought of a random word
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : -10 points for you. Someone has already asked and the incredibly dull answer is i just thought of a random word
    Posted by offshoot
    lol  dopey me,
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Offshoot. Me again.

When was your last losing session?

What is your cutoff point if and when you are having a bad session? (For example, i only have a small bankroll and if i lose 2 or 3 buy-ins then i come away for a few hours/days as i am a bit of a tilter!)

Do you tilt at all and if so how often?
  • edited March 2011
    Do you play omaha? If so, what's the highest omaha cash level you could make money at consistantly? If not, why not? Have you tried? - Did it help or hinder your holdem game? ------------------------ Who's the best cash player in the world? If it's the obvious answer of "Ivey" - who's 2nd best?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    not really, ive probably played less than 5k hands lifetime. At the moment it just seems like a monumental challenge to get really good at omaha that i think my time is better spent getting good at NLH. I sometimes play PLO HU when im tilted. Its good for just going on aggro monkey tilt and never getting it in that bad. Maybe when im feeling more motivated i will give it a real go.

Are we talking HU or 6max?

It changes so often but HU NLH i would probably say...

1. Jungleman
    2. Isildur
    3. Dwan
    4. Ivey
    5. Isaac Haxton

Ivey is so far down because he doesnt play HU NLH often and admits it isnt his best game. Isildur is so high because even though hes a massive tilt monkey he proved playing against Dwan at nosebleeds for so many hands that he is undeniably a beast. If he just stuck to no limit he would be so much better off. Tom is my favourite player to watch but i think he showed against isildur and Jungleman that he displays a certain amount of arrogance. Like Tom still thinks hes the best so isnt willing to put in the work that Jungleman does. He also never really adapted to isiludr even though he was clearly getting crushed. I think if they all palyed each other HU constantly over the next week thats the order they would sit in in terms of money won. If they all played each other constantly for a year Ivey would come out no.1 or 2 probably.

No one really plays 6max anymore at nosebleeds but i think Dwan is the best 6 max player, Ivey close 2nd. Isildur definitely last.

If were talking all the games and not just nlh Ivey is easy the best player. Antonius probably 2nd because hes way better than Dwan etc at plo and limit games.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : i actually breed a rare combination of the two. They said it couldnt be done, but with some specially crafted high heels i was able to balance out the Haggis legs in order for mating. I now eat onlu fully directional haggis.
    Posted by offshoot

Excellent answer.........  However the traditional method of catching your Haggis just wouldn't work if they are now multi-directional. The age-old method of hiding behind a rock and shouting ''Booo'' just wouldn't work. How do you catch yours?

• edited March 2011
    Loved reading this! Good to hear that despite losing ur BR a few times you now make money from playing it, my question is, from when you started playing, how long was it before you started to regualry make money?
  • edited March 2011
    Great read cheers Jon,

Another one from me..... I have been watching a couple of ur tables tonight after the open(silly min cash) as dont feel like playing just railing. I actually play at nl10 at the mo although i have more then enough in my bankroll. What i wanted to know do u think its beneficial to me to rail a high stakes winning player for say 1 hour a night? or because of the levels im playing at the momment this could make me go backwards at the lower limits? obviously nothing set in stone just your opinion really.

So along the same lines do u think i should be railing the next level up eg. nl20 + 30 or high stakes when i dont feel like playing? See im a Tourney player but last few weeks been adjusting the cash.

Regards
    John
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Offshoot. Me again. When was your last losing session? What is your cutoff point if and when you are having a bad session? (For example, i only have a small bankroll and if i lose 2 or 3 buy-ins then i come away for a few hours/days as i am a bit of a tilter!) Do you tilt at all and if so how often?
    Posted by DrSharp
    my last losing session was yesterday, i lost about 2 buyins.

I dont have a cut off point. I probably should but i usually keep playing until either im playing terribly or i just cant take getting bad beat anymore. Sometimes leads to losing 10+buyins but i dont think ive ever lost more than 12-14 without feeling like i needed to stop. I dont check my balance while playing so i could be down quite a bit but not playing that badly because im not really concentrating on how much ive lost, just on how well im playing.

Usually it takes a lot of bad beats before i really tilt so not too often but when i do tilt  i usually become more aggro. Its not always a bad thing because sometimes your opponents find it hard to adjust but its probably not wise to carry on when that tilted. When i go on monkey tilt i try and tell myself is "is this gonna be the quickest way to win my money back?" and the answer is always no because if 3betting 23o from the small blind was the best way to win money then i would do it all the time. The quickest way to win my money back is always gonna be playing my nornal game. So that usually help to calm myself down.

Nowadays i handle tilt a million times better than i used to though. Even in big downswings i am definitely a lot more philosophical and when i get 2 outtered for the 10th time i just can accept that if i keep getting my money in good things will eventually turn around. When you first start playing every downswing you have you doubt how good you actually are, whether you will ever make money again, whether you were just getting lucky before when you were winning, how long its gonna take you to win all that moeny back. This leads to playing badly a lot of the time because you try to change things which werent even bad strategies. Once you have more confidence in what you do you can kind of ride out variance without worrying as much.

If i was just starting out over again i would probably set a stoploss of 4 buyins because once you lose that many buyins it is probably affecting your play even if you think its not. Also another thing with tilt is that it doesnt stop when you finish your session. Like if you come back the next day still thinking about how unlucky you were and how determined you are to win the money back the moment you get bad beat or coolered even slightly your gonna think "here we go again" and start tilting. Sometimes its good to take a couple of days off or play a really short session the next day just to book a small win and help make you feel like you dont need to win back all that money right away.     
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : Excellent answer.........  However the traditional method of catching your Haggis just wouldn't work if they are now multi-directional. The age-old method of hiding behind a rock and shouting ''Booo'' just wouldn't work. How do you catch yours?
    Posted by elsadog
    deep fried mars bars, they cant get enough of them.
  • edited March 2011

Loved reading this! Good to hear that despite losing ur BR a few times you now make money from playing it, my question is, from when you started playing, how long was it before you started to regualry make money?
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    not really sure, maybe 2 years, i didnt really play a lot at the start though, would just deposit, lose it, then stop playing for a while, come back couple of weeks later and repeat the process, theres was definitely about 6 months where i just gave up though.

What actually made me start to really set myself a goal of winning at poker was reading through a blog called the law school dropout(or pokerdropout now i think) but it was a guy just writing about attempting to become a pro poker player, blew my mind to see someone winning 20k a month or whatever. I think i read every blog post and once i'd finished reading them all i kinda set my mind on becoming a winning player. I  definitely remember before reading that i used to question whether poker was rigged or not and stuff like the cashout curse but reading about someone taking poker seriously and seeing the success you could have i thought i have no excuses for being a losing player really. It was still daunting reading everything i could on the internet and thinking "im never gonna get this" but once i ran up my first bankroll and went bustoi felt like if i did it once i can do it again so just kept plugging away.
  • edited March 2011
    Great read cheers Jon, Another one from me..... I have been watching a couple of ur tables tonight after the open(silly min cash) as dont feel like playing just railing. I actually play at nl10 at the mo although i have more then enough in my bankroll. What i wanted to know do u think its beneficial to me to rail a high stakes winning player for say 1 hour a night? or because of the levels im playing at the momment this could make me go backwards at the lower limits? obviously nothing set in stone just your opinion really. So along the same lines do u think i should be railing the next level up eg. nl20 + 30 or high stakes when i dont feel like playing? See im a Tourney player but last few weeks been adjusting the cash. Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    probably not greatly beneficial because it would be hard to understand everything that someone is doing without explanation. It definitely cant hurt but i would say just putting in the hours playing when at nl10 is probably more beneficial. You can learn a lot just by trial and error, like theres spots where i used to call the river all the time with like 2nd pair if my opponent had checked the turn, but after about the 50th time you just know not to call in those spots anymore cos youre never right. If you keep getting it in bad with A9 on 987 flops then you just learn to pot control in those situations. all this stuff is probably eaiser to learn by playing rather than watching.

Once you get upto nl20 and 30 theres gonna be better players you can play with or observe and pick uo things that they do and adapt it into your own game. Its a lot easier to notice things which work by just playing in the game. Like if your playing nl30 and someone keeps 3betting you from the button and youre finding it hard to do anything when you miss the flop or whatever then you know if you do that to other people youre gonna frustrate them so its something you can add to your game.

So i would say at the micros just play solid poker and you will be better than 90% of the players and will win. Once you come up against some good players, then observe why theyre tough to play against and try and adopt some of their style or strategies.

EDIT: just noticed you said when you dont feel like playing, i think its probably more beneficial to rail 30nl players or read some posts in the clinic than rail higher stakes games. I think just discussing your hands or other peoples hands in the clinic will improve your game the most. If you can take even snippets of information on board then they will be in your mind next time you play.
  • edited March 2011
    hi jon,
            my questions are .
     Do you agree with the advice given by the analysts on sky ?
     Do you watch the shows ?
     Who`s been the best guest ? (if youve watched the show)

• edited March 2011

Jon,

You seem to have a very precise handle on how many hours you play each month.

How do you keep track of that? Spreadsheet, diary? Do you keep track of any other playing stats in the same manner?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : deep fried mars bars, they cant get enough of them.
    Posted by offshoot

Have to say I'm impressed, you certainly know your Haggis craft. :o)