You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT

124»

Comments

• edited April 2011
    pokerdominator
  • edited April 2011
    Not having a "proper job" do you use some of your winnings to invest for a pension as I assume you will not be paying national insurance to receive a full state pension or do you envisage playing poker (working) for the rest of your days to make ends meet like Tikay?
  • edited April 2011
    Do you have the bleeps turned on for when it's your turn??

If so does it drive you nuts while 12 tabling?

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT:
    Not having a "proper job" do you use some of your winnings to invest for a pension as I assume you will not be paying national insurance to receive a full state pension or do you envisage playing poker (working) for the rest of your days to make ends meet like Tikay?
    Posted by a00rock
    I'm quite sure that is tongue-in-cheek, but many people believe everything they read, especially poker players, & I don't want that comment to become a "fact" in people's minds.

So, I have to say, my ends meet quite nicely, thank you. I work because I enjoy it - very much. I retired early, & it was a mistake, so I started working again. I might well retire a second time though, who knows?

Back to the Thread, which is superb, & I'm loving.

• edited April 2011
    Is it true that you are a millionaire Tikay?
  • edited April 2011
    Is it true that you are a millionaire Tikay?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Depends how you define "millionaire", or even if you just mean in monetary terms. In many ways, yes, I am. In monetary terms, err, no, I don't think so!

But please, this is OFFSHOOTS "In The Well", not mine, & I don't want to invade his territory. You'll have to wait for a tikay ITW I'm afraid. Don't hold your breath......

Keep the thread on course, it's great. And if anyone has not worked it out yet, yes, we are trying hard to re-energise the Comunity, keep it bright, fresh, & original, with Threads like this, & other stuff due along shortly......

Back to OFFSHOOT, please.
  • edited April 2011
    hi mate,have you ever gone bust?,by that i mean lost a big bankroll.
    and if you have what level did you start to rebuild your roll?

when you are running/playing good do you find it hard not to fire up the pc
    and play?.
    i.e do you sit with mates thinking"i could of earned x amount by now!"

cheers,dave
  • edited April 2011
    Posted by a00rock
    ive never really thought about it Hopefully i'll be rich enough to retire in luxury. Pretty sure i can still pay NI contributions and receive a state pension, im sure they send me letters about that. It would be nice to not have to play poker forever. Maybe invest some money in a business or something in the future so by the time im 50 im not connected staight into tthe internet through my brain 124 tabling.
  • edited April 2011
    Do you have the bleeps turned on for when it's your turn?? If so does it drive you nuts while 12 tabling?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    God no that would drive anyone insane. I can usually spot when its my turn on a table now even out of the corner of my eye.
  • edited April 2011
    hi mate,have you ever gone bust?,by that i mean lost a big bankroll. and if you have what level did you start to rebuild your roll? when you are running/playing good do you find it hard not to fire up the pc and play?. i.e do you sit with mates thinking"i could of earned x amount by now!" cheers,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    i have, a few times, i mentioned it somewhere else in the thread, busted a few £1k+ rolls. I never adopted bankroll management then so would just deopsit $50 or something and play 20 or 50nl and try and run it up quickly again. 50nl is the lowest level ive actually grinded a lot of hands at.

Not at all , in fact if im running good it means i doont have to spend as much time playing trying to make some money, i can just play for a couple of hours or whatever and the days work is done. When running bad i will usually be palying more because im trying to get out of the downswing quickly. Sometimes when i stay in on the weekend and make a lot i think "glad i didnt go out after all" but never the other way around  thinking i could have stayed in and made money.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : ive never really thought about it Hopefully i'll be rich enough to retire in luxury. Pretty sure i can still pay NI contributions and receive a state pension, im sure they send me letters about that. It would be nice to not have to play poker forever. Maybe invest some money in a business or something in the future so by the time im 50 im not connected staight into tthe internet through my brain 124 tabling.
    Posted by offshoot
    You wont build up a state pension entitlement unless you are employed/registered self employed. I wouldnt worry to much about it mind, state pension age is being put back as we speak and by the time you get there it will probably be 70 plus !

However, any disciplined poker pro should not just concentrate on their poker bankroll. I know that redmond lee mentioned he has bought property with his poker winnings, that is indeed an astute way of creating an income stream away from poker. 

Offshoot I know you play a lot of cash, do you play stt's or mtt's and do you think its possible to make a living from playing stt's only? 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : I'm quite sure that is tongue-in-cheek, but many people believe everything they read, especially poker players, & I don't want that comment to become a "fact" in people's minds.   So, I have to say, my ends meet quite nicely, thank you. I work because I enjoy it - very much. I retired early, & it was a mistake, so I started working again. I might well retire a second time though, who knows? Back to the Thread, which is superb, & I'm loving.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry Tikay I did not mean to offend, my bad. These Poker players seem very strange folk indeed believing all they read I better make this my very last post just incase any one takes me seriously.
    Just want to say it must be fantastic having a job you enjoy most people go through life hating their jobs I know I represented many of them in my time before being made redundant.
    I can only assume though that this is not the case for the full time poker pro's ;o)
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : i have, a few times, i mentioned it somewhere else in the thread, busted a few £1k+ rolls. I never adopted bankroll management then so would just deopsit $50 or something and play 20 or 50nl and try and run it up quickly again. 50nl is the lowest level ive actually grinded a lot of hands at. Not at all , in fact if im running good it means i doont have to spend as much time playing trying to make some money, i can just play for a couple of hours or whatever and the days work is done. When running bad i will usually be palying more because im trying to get out of the downswing quickly. Sometimes when i stay in on the weekend and make a lot i think "glad i didnt go out after all" but never the other way around  thinking i could have stayed in and made money.
    Posted by offshoot
     Hi Offshoot, do you set yourself a monetary target each week, month, year whatever?

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : You wont build up a state pension entitlement unless you are employed/registered self employed. I wouldnt worry to much about it mind, state pension age is being put back as we speak and by the time you get there it will probably be 70 plus ! However, any disciplined poker pro should not just concentrate on their poker bankroll. I know that redmond lee mentioned he has bought property with his poker winnings, that is indeed an astute way of creating an income stream away from poker.  Offshoot I know you play a lot of cash, do you play stt's or mtt's and do you think its possible to make a living from playing stt's only? 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    i dont play stts but its definitely possible to make a living playing them. You have to put in a lot of volume though. The problem with stts though is that the edges nowadays are ridiculously small for even good players. I think HU sitngos are the way to go really if youre gonna go that route.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT :  Hi Offshoot, do you set yourself a monetary target each week, month, year whatever?  
    Posted by pomfrittes
    I try not to. Its really not a good idea. Its something that is out of your control. I only set goals of volume or time spent playing. If you set monetary goals its gonna put pressure on you during a downswing and force you to play when maybe you shouldnt or it can be really demoralsing if say, you work out how much you made in a week or a month and try and extrapolate that to work out what you'll make over a year, i think weve all done that. You think "right if i just keep winning x amount of buyins every days like i have for the past week i will have made  this much by the end of the year", then variance kicks in and you drop behind, now your behind your goal, you think "damn  if only i hadnt played today or quit eariler", now youre just annoyed thinking how long its gonna take you to make back that money. You probably resign yourself to making your target and probably set yourself a new one anyway. All in all its never gonna have a good effect on your game. Set goals for things you can control, like spending x amount of time grinding or whatever then just dont think about the money as much. 
  • edited April 2011
    Is that an iPad, at the edge of your desk, in your set up pic.

If it is,  when the hell do you get time to look at it lol
  • edited April 2011
    Intersting read

Nice set-up as well  - When did you decide to start multi-tabling and what was the biggest change you had to adjust to as you strated playing more tables and at what made you think you were ready to start playing more than 1, 2 ,3 etc

Also if your playing cash would you say its a bad idea to have the TV on even if its on in the background?

Cheers

Mp
  • edited April 2011
    pokerdominator
    Posted by offshoot
    Is this for the sole purpose of just logging your own details and notes and do you have to pay for it?

Ive looked at it - would it suit someone like myself who,s no good with spreadsheets and databases do you think?
  • edited April 2011
    Is that an iPad, at the edge of your desk, in your set up pic. If it is,  when the hell do you get time to look at it lol
    Posted by JockBMW
    definitely not while playing anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    Intersting read Nice set-up as well  - When did you decide to start multi-tabling and what was the biggest change you had to adjust to as you strated playing more tables and at what made you think you were ready to start playing more than 1, 2 ,3 etc Also if your playing cash would you say its a bad idea to have the TV on even if its on in the background? Cheers Mp
    Posted by MP33
    thanks, its just a gradual process. I remember on my old computer when i started playing i couldnt play more than 3 tables, after a while that starts to become slow paced so you start looking at the net inbeetween hands n stuff.  Once i got 2 monitors i just started increasing my no. of table slowly. When i first started playing 6-8 tables i found it really helped my game because i was able to play tight and not get bored inbetween hands so stopped  playing junk or feeling like a needed to make a move just because i wasnt getting any hands. Once i had played 8 tables comfortably for ages i could start adding in more to my game because i had trained myself to think through hands quicker. I think its a common misconception that people who mass multi table are just playing robotic abc style poker, some do, and i definitely do sometimes, but its still very possible to play well while playing loads of tables and not just play standard abc type stuff.

i watch tv a lot of the time while playing but wouldnt really recommend it. Its definitely a bad idea if youre trying to stay focused.  
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : Sorry Tikay I did not mean to offend, my bad. These Poker players seem very strange folk indeed believing all they read I better make this my very last post just incase any one takes me seriously. Just want to say it must be fantastic having a job you enjoy most people go through life hating their jobs I know I represented many of them in my time before being made redundant. I can only assume though that this is not the case for the full time poker pro's ;o)
    Posted by a00rock
    No apology needs, Sir, & you absolutely did NOT offend. "Offend" is when it is done deliberately.

It's just as I said before - people read these things & take them at face value, & I have a few "malicious" lurkers, who delight in quoting stuff out of context.

It's cool, honey bunny, it's cool. 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : Is this for the sole purpose of just logging your own details and notes and do you have to pay for it? Ive looked at it - would it suit someone like myself who,s no good with spreadsheets and databases do you think?
    Posted by MP33
    its free, basically all i use it for is to enter the start and end time of sessions and how much was won/lost. Its pretty straightforward. Its pretty player dependant though if its a good idea to keep track of your sessions so closely. When i used to be a marginal winner/loser it used to tilt me no end when i would actually realise how much money i'd lost so i used to just quit keeping track because its depressing seeing all your winnings disappearing and then having to keep notes of that.

I think at first a much more carefree approach is the way to go. If you check your balance as little as possible its helps you to think of the bigger picture. If youre checking your balance every day then theres all the micro stresses involved in that, if you just check it once a week you dont have the stresses of those day to day losses and can just look at the week as a whole. Like if you won 10 buyins in the first 2 days of the week but only finished the week up 6 buyins you think its a bad week because youre down from your peak rather than thinking being up for the week is probably still good.

Even when im in a big downswing i keep track of my win losses but i dont enter them in pokerdomintor until im out of the dowswing because i hate inputting loads of losing sessions and seeing my graph nosedive.  
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: In The Well # 2 - OFFSHOOT : its free, basically all i use it for is to enter the start and end time of sessions and how much was won/lost. Its pretty straightforward. Its pretty player dependant though if its a good idea to keep track of your sessions so closely. When i used to be a marginal winner/loser it used to tilt me no end when i would actually realise how much money i'd lost so i used to just quit keeping track because its depressing seeing all your winnings disappearing and then having to keep notes of that.  I think at first a much more carefree approach is the way to go. If you check your balance as little as possible its helps you to think of the bigger picture. If youre checking your balance every day then theres all the micro stresses involved in that, if you just check it once a week you dont have the stresses of those day to day losses and can just look at the week as a whole. Like if you won 10 buyins in the first 2 days of the week but only finished the week up 6 buyins you think its a bad week because youre down from your peak rather than thinking being up for the week is probably still good. Even when im in a big downswing i keep track of my win losses but i dont enter them in pokerdomintor until im out of the dowswing because i hate inputting loads of losing sessions and seeing my graph nosedive.  
    Posted by offshoot

Thx for reply - good point there - I never looked at it lke that before

Top thread btw - some gr8 advice and strategies -
  • edited April 2011

I would also like to thank you for the site, i have started using it think since you put on here. Bit up and down at mo but thats just me i guess, im really intrigued with the what days i do better and will see how useful it will be after a couple of weeks and whether it benefits me

What are the main things u look for? is it your win/rate or preferance to what games you do well?

Any Advice on using it at all? i have been logging results either end of a tourney or the end of each session

Many thanks
    John

• edited April 2011
    I would also like to thank you for the site, i have started using it think since you put on here. Bit up and down at mo but thats just me i guess, im really intrigued with the what days i do better and will see how useful it will be after a couple of weeks and whether it benefits me What are the main things u look for? is it your win/rate or preferance to what games you do well? Any Advice on using it at all? i have been logging results either end of a tourney or the end of each session Many thanks John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    well since i play the same games everyday i really just use it for keeping track of money earned and to graph it. I dont know what its like for tourneys/sitnogos. I guess theres probably some interesting stats to find if you dig deeper but i  doubt they will be of any relevance until you have a huge sample.