You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol]

edited November 2012 in The Shed
I love a nice bottle of red with my dinner.

A couple of cheap recommendations that are easily available in supermarkets......

Mas O Menos Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon

Campo Viejo Spanish Rioja

Both of these are around the £5/6 mark and quite easy to drink.

For a more expensive choice

Valdiviesco Caballo Loco No.9 which is Chilean. Had my first bottle of this a couple of weeks back, very nice but is around £20 per bottle.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Hi, All are welcome !!

Quite A few years ago, before I discovered Poker, lol, I discovered Wine!

It stems from probably, a felt need to levitate myself from 'The Ghetto', to the upper echelons of lifes pleasures!!

Thus, The Hitman, stepped back from the brink cycle of lager, guinness, shots & Kebabs for fun, to a more refined companion to the food that i so enjoy!!

Hopefully this will not be looked at as a snobby or boastful thread, a I merely wish to ask the community to share with me any experiances, good or bad, they may have had in this wine/eating out area!!

Please post up any good Wine & dining secrets you may have found, so all may consider or try!! I shall share some of mine, but later on.

Tonight I shall be taking The Hitwife, to Benares Restaurant in Berkeley Square, for a wine-tasting Dinner from the NZ Felton Road Co, Central Otago, [a favoured region of mine], to be hosted by the owner & his Daughter, I shall let u know how it goes!!

Wine-tastings, what fun, like listening to a top poker presenter explainin the intricacies of bet sizin, board texture, [terrior  maybe] !!

Anyhow enough for now, suprise me people, dont even mind if DohhhH pops on to share a Stella with me !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tonight i will mostly be partaking in the good ole English apple beverage, whilst consuming copious amounts of our Caribbean colonial friends national drink. In layman terms getting nissed as a pewt on cider with rum chasers ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol]:
    I love a nice bottle of red with my dinner. A couple of cheap recommendations that are easily available in supermarkets...... Mas O Menos Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon Campo Viejo Spanish Rioja Both of these are around the £5/6 mark and quite easy to drink. For a more expensive choice ..... Valdiviesco Caballo Loco No.9 which is Chilean. Had my first bottle of this a couple of weeks back, very nice but is around £20 per bottle.
    Posted by AcidMan27

Ty Acid, will have a look in ma Waitrose when I get a mo. Is the Loco no. 9 a Carmenere? Mate of mine swears by those!! Will try & track down, ta!! 
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!:
    Tonight i will mostly be partaking in the good ole English apple beverage, whilst consuming copious amounts of our Caribbean colonial friends national drink. In layman terms getting nissed as a pewt on cider with rum chasers ;-)
    Posted by lucy4
    LOL !! With any food Lucy ?? Shall I suggest an Egg, boiled,  but he's usually 'scrambled' lol
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For easy drinking I enjoy a Blossom Hill- Soft and Fruity or the Paul Masson- Californian Red get both for less than a 5er each if you look around.
    For something with a little more bite I too am a Cabernet Sauvignon man don't care who makes it.

Your thread reminds me of a funny but true story.
    About 15 years ago I was elected to the executive council of the trade union I was a member of and they had all their executive meetings in London. Not knowing London then I arranged to stay with others from the Northern Regions near Hyde Park. On the 1st evening they took me to their favorite restaurant which was close to the hotel and it was a Chinese. Well I did not fancy Chinese so I had the Gammon from their English selection. The Gammon arrived and it looked very nice so I proceeded to tuck in and to my horror it tasted awful and was unchewable so I summoned the waiter over and said " this Gammon is Rubbery" the waiter said thank you very much sir and walked off with a smile on his face.
    Hmmm from that day to this this is still referred to when I meet the people I was with that night. Ho I did eventually get through to the waiter and I was not charged for the meal lol.
    So what have you learned well if you go to Chinese restaurant order Chinese food of course lol
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : Ty Acid, will have a look in ma Waitrose when I get a mo. Is the Loco no. 9 a Carmenere? Mate of mine swears by those!! Will try & track down, ta!! 
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

"Hopefully this will not be looked at as a snobby or boastful thread"

along with the shopping at Waitrose its starting to get hard to like you!

Only joking mate :)

LIDL and Blue Nun ftw 
  • Options
    edited April 2011

PFFFFFFF.......Bloody wine bars!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : "Hopefully this will not be looked at as a snobby or boastful thread" along with the shopping at Waitrose its starting to get hard to like you! Only joking mate :) LIDL and Blue Nun ftw 
    Posted by Neildown
    LOL !!

Lidl not bad on wine actually !!!

But Waitrose is best, don't ya watch sat mornin kitchen, the're always in there!!

Least this thread been different to the normal Film/footie/sports or Viz-Inneuendoey Ones ya normally frequent Neil,
    Biglol

ps also lol a00rock !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I bought three bottles for a tenner not long back.

I'd never had it before, so I bought red, white and rose.

The rose one looked really attractive in the bottle, was sure it was gonna be nice.

I had 1 mouthful of them all and poured the rest down the sink. Disgusting. I'd seen the wine advertised on TV too, that's why I went for it.....just googling now to see if I can find the name.....

hmmmm I can't find it, I think it might have been the sponsor of come dine with me though.....

Never again, pint please.

• Options
    edited April 2011
    personal faves...

White: Pouilly Fume, S.A chenin blancs'

Red: any Pinot Noir, Fleurie, Madfish and Nuit St. George's

Brag: once fortunate to have a '98 Volnay 1er Cru and a 1996 Dom Perignon Rose
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I bought three bottles for a tenner not long back. I'd never had it before, so I bought red, white and rose. The rose one looked really attractive in the bottle, was sure it was gonna be nice. I had 1 mouthful of them all and poured the rest down the sink. Disgusting. I'd seen the wine advertised on TV too, that's why I went for it.....just googling now to see if I can find the name..... hmmmm I can't find it, I think it might have been the sponsor of come dine with me though..... Never again, pint please.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL, Stella for DOHHHHH  lined up in Al's bar!

ps thanks for railin in 200DS.... & tippin me lol. fraid 4th was best i could do, lucky ole SoLack lol
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    personal faves... White: Pouilly Fume, S.A chenin blancs' Red: any Pinot Noir, Fleurie, Madfish and Nuit St. George's Brag: once fortunate to have a '98 Volnay 1er Cru and a 1996 Dom Perignon Rose
    Posted by sikas
    Very Nice, sikas!!

You Look like u may have had a couple of bottles in ur piccy !!

Fleurie, YES!! got halfway thru a crate of La Madone, very cherry fruity!! Madfish too, had in restaurants, very good.

Last nite had a Felton Road Pinot Noir or two, were excellent & highly rated apparently, Champers not my thing but know 2002 was a great year!!

Nice picks tho, Run Good Fella !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : Ty Acid, will have a look in ma Waitrose when I get a mo. Is the Loco no. 9 a Carmenere? Mate of mine swears by those!! Will try & track down, ta!! 
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
     Yes it is, oh and it's Valdivieso not Valdiviesco as I typed earlier. I'm also a fan of Paul Masson California Red as mentioned earlier. It's a great summer time red.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ok....I think I have found one.

It is a full blown RED rage whine, circa 51 from the area of badbeatcity in the valley of suckoutshire.

Cost is 56p a pint and is very popular amongst the gambling  fraternity.

I will be stocking it on a trial period in Al's Bar but customers will have to drink it in a room on their own so their screams are curtailed.

Wanna you think Squire?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : LOL !! Lidl not bad on wine actually !!! But Waitrose is best, don't ya watch sat mornin kitchen, the're always in there!! Least this thread been different to the normal Film/footie/sports or Viz-Inneuendoey Ones ya normally frequent Neil, Biglol ps also lol a00rock !!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

when scooby doo and garfield are on?

no chance
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A few reds i really like are an italian montepulchiano reserva,a spanish red macon de macares, and a portugese(?)Garrefiera, all great the garrefiera prob the nicest can't remember the exact name as ran out a few years ago and haven't found same type since! :(
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ohhhhh you gotta luv a sophisticated wine bar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KbDElBQ9k
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ohhhhh you gotta luv a sophisticated wine bar! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KbDElBQ9k
    Posted by BananaDog
    LOL !! WOW Loving Triggers suit LOLOLOL

NANA!! GL in the TSP STT Sunday !!

been busy today but will try post later bout The best Indian meal i EVER had!! tues nite at 'Benares'
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok, some time now!!

Rite, Benares, Berkeley Square, Mayfair !!

I Like to take The HitWife somewhere Special now & again to make up for all the footie[&poker] tours she lets me go on, and This One Certainly Hits the spot!!

If ever you get a chance in London to try, defo recommend, in fact, next big tourney I take down, am goin back to celebrate with some friends !!

I not heard of him before, but run/owned by Atul Kochhar, [is he famous chef?], and is Michelin top rated !!

It was a wine tasting of The Felton Road wine Co. hosted by William Waters & Nicola Greening, the owners daughter, a very bubbly, fragrant & knowledgable Young lady !!

Just Cop a load of this menu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benares Experiance!!

Crisp fried Soft Shell Crab, Lemongrass Mayo        -    Felton Road Bannockburn Riesling 2002

Duo of Mustard Marinated Salmon, Chicken Tikka  -    Felton Road Block 3 Pinot Noir 2002

Pan Fried Sea Bass, Coconut Ginger Sauce            -    Felton Road Chardonnay 2001

Roasted Deer Fillet, Venison Biryani                     -     Felton Road Block 5 Pinot Noir 2002

Star Anise Poached Pear, Pear Sorbet                   -     Felton Road Block 1 Riesling 2002

I never bovved with the coffee & petit fours, was busy finishin the Wine scraps!!
    Some of which were apparently the LAST available from the ole Mans collection !!!! LOL

Like I say, If ya get a chance.........and ya only live Once

.......Mate........... feelin hungry again

• Options
    edited April 2011
    A few reds i really like are an italian montepulchiano reserva,a spanish red macon de macares, and a portugese(?)Garrefiera, all great the garrefiera prob the nicest can't remember the exact name as ran out a few years ago and haven't found same type since! :(
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Cheers Any !!

Defo with ya on the Montepulciano, and most spanish Reds always good, i keep a standard stock for the lads of El Bombero,  Carinera, [15% Especial, lol] great all-round pleaser at bout £6/7 bottle!! It does knock ya sox offf tho, one of mi first finds bout 8 yeras ago & always get at least a crate every year

The Garraferira, did not know so looked up, and found it is a term or description in Portugal of a quality wine, aged for a min of 2 years then 1 in a bottle for a RED, and 6 months & 6 months for a white! So only Portugals mainly finest wines can be put in this catagory, Blimey learn summat new every day !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] :  Yes it is, oh and it's Valdivieso not Valdiviesco as I typed earlier. I'm also a fan of Paul Masson California Red as mentioned earlier. It's a great summer time red.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Found it !!! Not in many of ma books, but found it in a Hugh Johnson, and i quote....

"Valdivieso, Originally Chiles biggest sparklin producer, now better known for its still wines. since arrival of NZ winemaker Brett Jackson the quality has been pushed up a couple of levels!! It's premium Blend CABALLO LOCO is made by a solera system thus carries no vintage date, it usually contains about 50% of the previous years blend"

That's good enuf for me AcidMan27, will try to get some!! he also reccomends from them....

"also in their top tier is the leather-scented Eclat, based on old vine Carignan from Maule"

will let ya Know if i find some !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok....I think I have found one. It is a full blown RED rage whine, circa 51 from the area of badbeatcity in the valley of suckoutshire. Cost is 56p a pint and is very popular amongst the gambling  fraternity. I will be stocking it on a trial period in Al's Bar but customers will have to drink it in a room on their own so their screams are curtailed. Wanna you think Squire?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    LOL !! I like the sound of that !!!

But till ya get some in stock at Al's bar, just do me a Guinness, Stella for DOHHHH, One for ya self Alan Max, and one for anyone else who'd like ta join me, Had a Hard day at work today, thinks it'scause the weekends been so good, so ya can't beat a good turn-off wind-down !! LOL

ps Al whats the best wine ya got in your Bar ??? Surprise me !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    as long as its 14% i dunna care what it tastes like,i mean, im sitting here wi a bottle of turps i found in the car
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : Found it !!! Not in many of ma books, but found it in a Hugh Johnson, and i quote.... "Valdivieso, Originally Chiles biggest sparklin producer, now better known for its still wines. since arrival of NZ winemaker Brett Jackson the quality has been pushed up a couple of levels!! It's premium Blend CABALLO LOCO is made by a solera system thus carries no vintage date, it usually contains about 50% of the previous years blend" That's good enuf for me AcidMan27, will try to get some!! he also reccomends from them.... "also in their top tier is the leather-scented Eclat, based on old vine Carignan from Maule" will let ya Know if i find some !!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Will have to look out for that one too. Cheers.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok....I think I have found one. It is a full blown RED rage whine, circa 51 from the area of badbeatcity in the valley of suckoutshire. Cost is 56p a pint and is very popular amongst the gambling  fraternity. I will be stocking it on a trial period in Al's Bar but customers will have to drink it in a room on their own so their screams are curtailed. Wanna you think Squire?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Where do I sign up...

xx
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the support hitman...If i win we can all go to a posh wine bar then and have a poshy meal! wiiiiiii!
    lol @Trip5 avatar pic...was wondering what you were up to, this is for you!  (make sure you put your sound on!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCkznDmrXno
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: The Sky Poker Wine & Dining Club!!...[wtf,lol] : Where do I sign up... xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    YOU'RE IN !!

Loving the strap-on btw !! Never seen One that big !!

SHARK-FIN STRAP-ON FTW!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    as long as its 14% i dunna care what it tastes like,i mean, im sitting here wi a bottle of turps i found in the car
    Posted by stokefc
    Hi Stokey, How ya doin??

I've Found that the Turps [26%, 2009] normally matches with a 2nd Hand Kebab & a windy cold park bench !!
    Been there, hence the RED NOSE lol !

But Defo best Kebab I've had in years was at Luton SPT, out door turn left, keep car park on left, keep goin till high street, then rite in front of ya, WOW it was great, sat in there with Uncle Pat, ZsteveZ, Monkey123 & one of the dealers [male unfotunately, lol]

Am off to Crewe Hall in a bit, for a weekend industry conference & AGM, taking the Hitwife cause Gala dinner sat nite, she's got me goin shoppin to Chester sat pm, WHILE FULHAM ARE AT MANURE FFS!!!!
     i must be goin soft!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the support hitman...If i win we can all go to a posh wine bar then and have a poshy meal! wiiiiiii! lol @Trip5 avatar pic...was wondering what you were up to, this is for you!  (make sure you put your sound on!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCkznDmrXno
    Posted by BananaDog
    You're on Nana, Take it down!!

Posh or not, [better not], Dont care long as the company is good !!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Posted by stokefc
    LOL, do you think anyone, and I mean anyone, actually reads all that stuff on the back before they look at the %.  I found a 14.5% bottle of red the other day for 4 quid.  Cant remember what it was called........who cares.