You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Tikay Appreciation Society

edited May 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

It's been brought to my attention that Tikay has suffered a little bit of criticism recently (more than the usual quota he gets which comes with the job). He's a close friend of mine, I know him very well and I know he'll be really hurt and upset by it all.

Tikay is one of life's good guys- always willing to help others and always up for having a bit of fun with people.

I can kind of understand how people who don't know him might misconstrue his comedy comments on TV, but it's all an act. The fact is- he's a lovable fella who has time for everyone and would never set out to intentionally offend anyone. 'tis nothing but good ol' fashioned good-natured banter.

Anyway- the last thing I want is for Tikay to tone it down or change the way he does things on the show. And since every other week I'm reading comments on the forum from players having a pop at the old man, I've decided to start this thread for everyone to post a few words about what they like about Tikay.

Here's a few from me...

He goes through life with a twinkle in his eye and a wry smile. Takes his beats in life like a man and is a truly funny guy. 

How many blokes his age do you know who's totally across pop culture and modern technology? He's more across Twitter and Facebook than I am!

He's also a very charitable and generous bloke, which a lot of people don't get to see. He's often put his hand in his pocket to help out people who need it.

Also, one hell of a poker player. Much better than he's ever given credit for- and that's because he doesn't enter the big tournaments- he consistently cashes in low-key small events and chops the money when he can.

Well, I love him anyway. I hope there's a few of you out there who can back me up- so the big man doesn't get too down in the dumps.

I'll tell you what- you'd miss him if he ever went from here.

Don't worry though, I haven't gone all soppy. Normal service will be resumed on Thursday night when I do the show with him again and I'll have all guns blazing, giving him nothing but grief for four hours!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Already said it to him via PM this morning but absolutely everything you just said with a cherry on top
  • edited May 2011
    i had no probs with the show, surely its just another "calm down dear" storm in a tea cup!
    keep up the sparring
  • edited May 2011

to me tikay is the most generous, genuine and selfless man you could hope to meet.  that's it really.  although with my alternative vote i might add richard to my list.

• edited May 2011
    He knows the game, knows how to play it and knows how to treat those who decide to join him at the table.

And he's a fish. 

Lovely chap.
  • edited May 2011

Groan.

I really appreciate the Post, Rich, please don't think otherwise, but I'll just get embarrassed by it. It's incredibly kind of you, but I'll be very uncomfortable with it.

I do not enjoy the sporadic personal attacks on here, & elsewhere, on Forums, & FB etc, there have been several recently, which is why I spend a bit less of my private time playing on the Site these days, but I guess it goes with the territory. However, I live my life by my own rules, & I'm perfectly content with my conduct & behaviour to everyone, nothing is going to change.

Let's just move on. 

PS - You are some special friend, & I much appreciate the thought behind the thread. Hope you did OK in Luton last night, sorry I could not be with you.

PPS - I can't BELIEVE I'm now going to have to be nice to you on future Shows! That's the worst thing about all this, it really is. (JOKE).

xx

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The Tikay Appreciation Society:
    Already said it to him via PM this morning but absolutely everything you just said with a cherry on top
    Posted by SolarCarro
    + One..........Hundred

I Loves Ya Man !

Evens when ya gives me a slap innit !!
  • edited May 2011
    To show my appreciation for Tikay here's a pic for him - It's his favourite steam locomotive (and a brief flash of passenger coach!)

Yes, it's Henry the green engine :)

• edited May 2011

Tikay and Orford professing undying love for each other on the Forum...... omg....please!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2011
    It's incredibly kind of you, but I'll be very uncomfortable with it.
    Get in, now we know how to put Tikay on tilt. Throw some compliments in the chatbox and he'll go to pieces.

• edited May 2011

"I'll tell you what- you'd miss him if he ever went from here."

Well I just hope this day isn't in the near future.

You guys know better then anybody that being in the public spotlight you'll never please all of the people all of the time, it ain't gonna happen.

I think all the Sky Poker presenters and analysts (and I'm sure all the backroom staff too, which we never get to see) are very knowledgeable, sincere and above all entertaining. If you take the humour out of the TV shows, I for one won't be watching 'em again.

Carry on as you are, please. 
  • edited May 2011

Keep it going Tikay your the man if you cant do it then no one can
    I found the poem just for you.

Pershore Station, or A Liverish Journey First Class by John Betjeman

"The train at Pershore station was waiting that Sunday night
    Gas light on the platform, in my carriage electric light,
    Gas light on frosty evergreens, electric on Empire wood,
    The Victorian world and the present in a moment's neighbourhood."

Betjeman usually makes an ideal travelling companion in his railway poetry but on this journey we would discreetly move to another compartment to leave him alone with his thoughts. This is the perfect evocation of the Sunday Fear, that dead time when thoughts crowd in of Monday's business. The sound of evening bells are as melancholy to me as the Antiques Roadshow theme tune.

• edited May 2011
    I'm still fairly new around here but i've been watching the channel for a while.

He seems like a top fella who spends so much time working and helping everybody on here.

Ok that's enough, i'm a yorkshireman, we don't go overboard on praise.

• edited May 2011
    tikay is a true gent, he is Sky Poker, in all of the time I have known him, he has become a very dear, good friend, he has never ever said a bad word against anyone, and beleive me there have been a heck of a lot more than one instance where I have witnessed someone have a go at him, he has always replied couteously, no matter what the provocation.

TIKAY, YOU ARE THE BEST, YOU RULZE INNIT
  • edited May 2011
    TOP Bloke
    TOP Personality
    TOP Poker Player
    Top Presenter
    TOP of my list of favourite SKY peeps

DISLIKES:
    Everything to do with ORFORD Ha! Ha! (Keep the Banter Going on the Show Pleeeease!)

Hey Tikay, perhaps you should start an "ORFORD Depreciation Society" lol (Just Kidding)

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?
  • edited May 2011

Count me in, I'm quitting the Wood Preservation Society especially to join (can't Orford both subscriptions).

I'm sure Tikay must be a fellow admirer of the marvellous Ouse Valley Viaduct, that makes him a top bloke in my books.

• edited May 2011
    I was going to post on here till I realised that TK was a bit embarrassed by it..............  Oh Sod It.

My first every live event was at the SPT in Glasgow in 2009 ( I think )  First guy i met as I walked through the door.  The TK Man himself.  

He spent around 20 minutes chatting away with me and making me feel incredibly welcome, gave me some tips on the coming tourny and was a brilliant representative of what Sky Poker is all about.

He was there when I walked in at 10.00 am and he was still there at 2.00 am the following day.  The mans work ethic and devotion to the game he loves is second to none.

Sorry TK, I know you get a wee cringe at these sort of threads but tough luck ;o)

TK is the man 

Oh and here's a little something just for you.......  and I do mean "just for you"... nobody else will care ;o)

• edited May 2011
    Tikay does what he does, it's his job and I'm sure he knows that criticism goes with the job. He does what he does very well indeed but can't be expected to get it all right all the time, and I'm sure he knows that too. He is well liked by the majority of people and only a minority (for reasons of their own) dislike him and are openly critical. He is the face of Sky Poker and as such open to all the above. He has in the past been a successful businessman and I'm sure he is very capable of balancing all the plates and coping. 

On a personal note, I like him, I disagree with him on some things, but I respect him immensely. 

I have to say though, these type of threads don't help his case, in fact I suspect they only make it worse for him. Whatever motivates the folk who abuse his good nature is anybody's guess but threads which openly sing his praises probably serve to induce even more jabs aimed in his direction. 

The man knows how good he is at presenting, analysing and entertaining, and over-egging the pudding isn't needed. I can see the intentions behind posts like this but I really don't think they do him any favours......... Just my opinion and I'm sure a lot will disagree, so feel free to have a go at me. Just don't anybody start a 'we love Elsa' thread up afterwards.
  • edited May 2011
    Tikay does what he does, it's his job and I'm sure he knows that criticism goes with the job. He does what he does very well indeed but can't be expected to get it all right all the time, and I'm sure he knows that too. He is well liked by the majority of people and only a minority (for reasons of their own) dislike him and are openly critical. He is the face of Sky Poker and as such open to all the above. He has in the past been a successful businessman and I'm sure he is very capable of balancing all the plates and coping.  On a personal note, I like him, I disagree with him on some things, but I respect him immensely.  I have to say though, these type of threads don't help his case, in fact I suspect they only make it worse for him. Whatever motivates the folk who abuse his good nature is anybody's guess but threads which openly sing his praises probably serve to induce even more jabs aimed in his direction.  The man knows how good he is at presenting, analysing and entertaining, and over-egging the pudding isn't needed. I can see the intentions behind posts like this but I really don't think they do him any favours......... Just my opinion and I'm sure a lot will disagree, so feel free to have a go at me. Just don't anybody start a 'we love Elsa' thread up afterwards.
    Posted by elsadog

Actually for once I agree with you ED,  However sometimes you have to speak from the heart and not the head.....

Oh   Sorry ......   ;o)

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The Tikay Appreciation Society : Actually for once I agree with you ED,  However sometimes you have to speak from the heart and not the head..... Oh   Sorry ......   ;o) https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3acfaa1e55-eeab-43ac-8676-fefda40c87ceDiscussion%3af6a85de4-d2ec-4245-8b69-1d8a6f58d4fa
    Posted by JockBMW

How do I delete my post?

(and you can delete that too, Lambretta Man)

• edited May 2011
    Tikay does what he does, it's his job and I'm sure he knows that criticism goes with the job. He does what he does very well indeed but can't be expected to get it all right all the time, and I'm sure he knows that too. He is well liked by the majority of people and only a minority (for reasons of their own) dislike him and are openly critical. He is the face of Sky Poker and as such open to all the above. He has in the past been a successful businessman and I'm sure he is very capable of balancing all the plates and coping.  On a personal note, I like him, I disagree with him on some things, but I respect him immensely.  I have to say though, these type of threads don't help his case, in fact I suspect they only make it worse for him. Whatever motivates the folk who abuse his good nature is anybody's guess but threads which openly sing his praises probably serve to induce even more jabs aimed in his direction.  The man knows how good he is at presenting, analysing and entertaining, and over-egging the pudding isn't needed. I can see the intentions behind posts like this but I really don't think they do him any favours......... Just my opinion and I'm sure a lot will disagree, so feel free to have a go at me. Just don't anybody start a 'we love Elsa' thread up afterwards.
    Posted by elsadog
    I loves ya man !!

p.s. good points
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    tk? one word.

Classy,warm approachable,generous,lovable,old,hiphop,and nit!

ok nine words!
  • edited May 2011
    UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS!!
  • edited May 2011

Very entertaining & gives a brilliant insight into the world of poker. Have watched a lot of analysed hands by Tikay & others  and its improved my game a lot. Although new I would argue the sky poker community would be a lot worse off without your entertainment & experience . Even my missus has got addicted to your shows and loves the banter, she sky+ Mastercash when your on (your very own groupie!!)
    Keep up the good work & dont listen to idiots, world is full of them!!

• edited May 2011
    UNBELIEVABLE TEKKERS!!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    loool
  • edited May 2011

Tikay is a Top Man & helped me understand the game of Poker when i first started to play.He's very Entertaining on the show especially when teamed up with Rich it's always a lot of fun to watch. It would be a Very Sad Day if there was no Tikay as his Knowledge is 2nd to none. 

Michael
  • edited May 2011

I will say this only ONE TIME.....I really really love coffee but I also think tea is okay .....ish. Plus I carnt take anymore leaving threads for a while :))
  • edited May 2011
    The man is a gentleman and as I have stated time and time again.. The most generous and temperate human being I've ever met.

All the jibes are in fun and no offence has EVER been taken on any sides and.. As you guys know.. Tikay, Orford and I have ripped each other apart in the name of entertainment.. But it's always good natured and out of love!!

Except when he talks about Trains.. Natch.
  • edited May 2011
    Tikays why i watch the show, simple as.

Oh and of course when he's presenting with you, Rich.

;)

• edited May 2011
    First post for me, and I'm doing it purely to add love for tikay. Not really sure what this is about, but I assume it's due to people taking some clearly good-intentioned fun the wrong way.

I don't actively take part in the community, or even play that much poker (purely down to time, and lack of skill tbh), but I very much enjoy the TV shows and banter.

I enjoy all the presenters/analysts, but Rich and Tikay really make the show worth watching, and were one the big reasons for getting me interested in poker in the first place.

Please keep it up.