You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

yes or no question.....

13»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    There is only 1 thing faulty/dodgy on here..............you

couldn't see that as a option
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question.....:
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Another misintepretation of my posts. Obviously need to put some LOLS and smiley faces in my post. I'm in the HitSquad, so your offer to join team 51 is politley refused as I can't afford the Tinfoil costs.
    Posted by Mohican
    Hey Mohican.  Just caught up with this thread and wanted to respond to a couple of points you make in multiple posts.

I fully agree with what you say in regard to people posting numerous BB hands in support of online poker being rigged.  It is mostly pointless.  BB's are a fundamental aspect of the game.  We are not seeing a balanced representation of a persons experience, merely the definitive bad ends of it.

I also agree that if these people really truly feel that online is rigged, then they ought to stop complaining and stop playing.  People used to say this to me when i indirectly sought out other people who shared my instincts (finding irish and elsa :p) and I found it really insulting.  But it isnt intended as insult.  Why continue to play if you feel its impossible to win?

My doubts and instincts about online poker come from extensive live and online play, rather than hands in isolation.  I have likely played millions of hands and lost a little over 9k in the process over the last 7 years.  My true game is live, where I make a modest living. 

How the action plays online (in general) isnt mirrored by my extensive live experience.  Believe me, I know the arguments in relation to hph/skill mix all too well, but its fruitless to get into it.

However I am also massively aware that I dont play anywhere near aswell online as I do live.  Due to being handicapped (less information) and my key strength is reading opponents, which I cant do aswell online due to time restraints and the virtual aspect.

So because I dont fully trust online poker and being aware that I dont play as well as I ought caused me to stop playing online.  Because whether or not its flawed, I dont adapt well enough.  So there is no edge to continue. 

Believe me, I get just as frustrated at the people who rant about poker being rigged in a silly way.  Because it really lowers the tone of those who would like to see the subject explored.  As consumers we should inquire and demand clear transparent ajudicators, which we clearly arent getting at the moment.

My frustrations come from the fact that this being online poker site, all individuals who put forward that everything is spot on are given credibility, wheras people who quite rightly seek reassurance are ridiculed and demonised as standard.  People havent forgotten how the one truly credible RNG thread was censored.

In many ways its like walking into a fast food joint and saying "I want to eat here, but it looks a bit fatty..".  Manager of fast food (who earns his lively hood from brand) says "No no sir, we use state of the art ingredients  Isnt that right deputy manager?  "yes sir, all is well"  "all is well, eat enjoy!".  Customer says "Oh ok then, triple beef cheese and bacon then".  You get the jist lol.

Just saying that there is a certain level of expected bias, which is understandable
  • edited July 2011
    Hi all

I have had to delete a post on this thread that contained a misspelt swear word in an attempt to get round the forum filter.

Steve
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Hey Mohican.  Just caught up with this thread and wanted to respond to a couple of points you make in multiple posts. I fully agree with what you say in regard to people posting numerous BB hands in support of online poker being rigged.  It is mostly pointless.  BB's are a fundamental aspect of the game.  We are not seeing a balanced representation of a persons experience, merely the definitive bad ends of it. I also agree that if these people really truly feel that online is rigged, then they ought to stop complaining and stop playing.  People used to say this to me when i indirectly sought out other people who shared my instincts (finding irish and elsa :p) and I found it really insulting.  But it isnt intended as insult.  Why continue to play if you feel its impossible to win? My doubts and instincts about online poker come from extensive live and online play, rather than hands in isolation.  I have likely played millions of hands and lost a little over 9k in the process over the last 7 years.  My true game is live, where I make a modest living.  How the action plays online (in general) isnt mirrored by my extensive live experience.  Believe me, I know the arguments in relation to hph/skill mix all too well, but its fruitless to get into it. However I am also massively aware that I dont play anywhere near aswell online as I do live.  Due to being handicapped (less information) and my key strength is reading opponents, which I cant do aswell online due to time restraints and the virtual aspect. So because I dont fully trust online poker and being aware that I dont play as well as I ought caused me to stop playing online.  Because whether or not its flawed, I dont adapt well enough.  So there is no edge to continue.  Believe me, I get just as frustrated at the people who rant about poker being rigged in a silly way.  Because it really lowers the tone of those who would like to see the subject explored.  As consumers we should inquire and demand clear transparent ajudicators , which we clearly arent getting at the moment. My frustrations come from the fact that this being online poker site, all individuals who put forward that everything is spot on are given credibility, wheras people who quite rightly seek reassurance are ridiculed and demonised as standard.  People havent forgotten how the one truly credible RNG thread was censored. In many ways its like walking into a fast food joint and saying "I want to eat here, but it looks a bit fatty..".  Manager of fast food (who earns his lively hood from brand) says "No no sir, we use state of the art ingredients  Isnt that right deputy manager?  "yes sir, all is well"  "all is well, eat enjoy!".  Customer says "Oh ok then, triple beef cheese and bacon then".  You get the jist lol. Just saying that there is a certain level of expected bias, which is understandable
    Posted by AMYBR
    class post......and i agree with with most of it(beef,cheese and bacon dont work,imo)

you say you dont play as well online and dont adapt well and i think that goes for most players.....and sometimes the really bad ones will crack our aces:).

p.s.  i did'nt start this thread as a pee take of your thread as i thought it was a great thread where you aired sensible doubts that you had in your mind,not the silly "i've been beat so its fixed" rubbish.

I just wondered how many of them would admit they will still play on here..

gl,dave
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Hey Mohican.  Just caught up with this thread and wanted to respond to a couple of points you make in multiple posts. I fully agree with what you say in regard to people posting numerous BB hands in support of online poker being rigged.  It is mostly pointless.  BB's are a fundamental aspect of the game.  We are not seeing a balanced representation of a persons experience, merely the definitive bad ends of it. I also agree that if these people really truly feel that online is rigged, then they ought to stop complaining and stop playing.  People used to say this to me when i indirectly sought out other people who shared my instincts (finding irish and elsa :p) and I found it really insulting.  But it isnt intended as insult.  Why continue to play if you feel its impossible to win? My doubts and instincts about online poker come from extensive live and online play, rather than hands in isolation.  I have likely played millions of hands and lost a little over 9k in the process over the last 7 years.  My true game is live, where I make a modest living.  How the action plays online (in general) isnt mirrored by my extensive live experience.  Believe me, I know the arguments in relation to hph/skill mix all too well, but its fruitless to get into it. However I am also massively aware that I dont play anywhere near aswell online as I do live.  Due to being handicapped (less information) and my key strength is reading opponents, which I cant do aswell online due to time restraints and the virtual aspect. So because I dont fully trust online poker and being aware that I dont play as well as I ought caused me to stop playing online.  Because whether or not its flawed, I dont adapt well enough.  So there is no edge to continue.  Believe me, I get just as frustrated at the people who rant about poker being rigged in a silly way.  Because it really lowers the tone of those who would like to see the subject explored.  As consumers we should inquire and demand clear transparent ajudicators , which we clearly arent getting at the moment. My frustrations come from the fact that this being online poker site, all individuals who put forward that everything is spot on are given credibility, wheras people who quite rightly seek reassurance are ridiculed and demonised as standard.  People havent forgotten how the one truly credible RNG thread was censored. In many ways its like walking into a fast food joint and saying "I want to eat here, but it looks a bit fatty..".  Manager of fast food (who earns his lively hood from brand) says "No no sir, we use state of the art ingredients  Isnt that right deputy manager?  "yes sir, all is well"  "all is well, eat enjoy!".  Customer says "Oh ok then, triple beef cheese and bacon then".  You get the jist lol. Just saying that there is a certain level of expected bias, which is understandable
    Posted by AMYBR
    One reason you might be better live is because the standard of live poker is so much worse than online. And im very surprised someone who plays live doesnt see the same badbeats they do online. Infact i'd go to say that I dont believe you, if you say you dont. Everytime I play live (which is a lot) I see many badbeats. Ill give you an example of the last time I played (yesterday). I raise with AJ, someone reraises, then someone goes all in. I fold. They have QQ and JJ, river J for the 1 outer. Only online tho ;-)
  • edited July 2011
    Yes I'm sure your example of one hand renders my very carefully worded diplomatic post meaningless............

Do you really think I havent heard the online is harder than live argument before?  In some ways this can be true but in others its not.  It isnt essentialy true.  Plus its impossible to be uniformly true.  You are simply regujitating industry lines.

But yes, your right.  I just really suck, but I dont realise it.  Thankyou for enlightening me..........

Got to admit my patience with this kind of post is running at an all time low.  I really dont think my post could be more diplomatic and balanced, yet I have to listen to a pudding like this offering up over simplified justifications as to how I'm wrong.  If you read my post properly you'd see it has nothing to do with bad beats, quite the opposite in fact......

Fricking Yawn
  • edited July 2011
    Yes I'm sure your example of one hand renders my very carefully worded diplomatic post meaningless............ Do you really think I havent heard the online is harder than live argument before?  In some ways this can be true but in others its not.  It isnt essentialy true.  Plus its impossible to be uniformly true.  You are simply regujitating industry lines. But yes, your right.  I just really suck, but I dont realise it.  Thankyou for enlightening me.......... Got to admit my patience with this kind of post is running at an all time low.  I really dont think my post could be more diplomatic and balanced, yet I have to listen to a pudding like this offering up over simplified justifications as to how I'm wrong.  If you read my post properly you'd see it has nothing to do with bad beats, quite the opposite in fact...... Fricking Yawn
    Posted by AMYBR
    Lol!! At what point did I say anything about your poker?? I'm pretty sure i've never played vs you, so I couldnt comment on your ability. I just explained a very common reason on why people do better live than online. Because its easier!! The lowest stakes you can normally play live is 100nl (some places 50nl). These games play like 4nl-10nl online. And the smaller buyin tournaments have many players who have no idea on how to play. So its obvious on why people do better live. 

If you dont agree then fair enough. Thats your opinion. My opinion is online isnt rigged. Its no differnt to live poker. Same sort of things happen just as much. I could go into more detail, but I wouldnt want to bore you, Yawn ;-)
  • edited July 2011
    Summary.... Live poker standard horrific, Online Standard far better, Online poker = Not rigged.... bad beats happen Live.... wsop main ... quad jacks beat by Royal Flush.... rigged dealer obv.... Get a grip
  • edited July 2011
    Summary.... Live poker standard horrific, Online Standard far better, Online poker = Not rigged.... bad beats happen Live.... wsop main ... quad jacks beat by Royal Flush.... rigged dealer obv.... Get a grip
    Posted by ChirpyChip
    Everyone knows bad beats and crazy outdraws happen live and online.
    The point that has been made in this forum many times over many months is the FREQUENCY with which IT APPEARS that action hands are dealt. The reason why this is done, if it is done, has been discussed ad nauseum.
    When has an online poker site, including Sky, EVER published statistics to show that the deal is, effectively, "random"? Never. The only time statistics are ever produced is in cases such as the Ultimate Bet case when there was a group of insiders cheating by looking at all the other players' hole cards. Of course, in that case the statistics proved that something was wrong and not that all was OK.
    All we get is a certificate from an obscure regulator based in a tax haven. Also, operating procedures do not confirm anywhere that the card generated by the rng is the same card that is delivered to the virtual table.
  • edited July 2011
    Just tired of wasting my breath.

Pure selective vision.  Same thoughtless junk responses.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Everyone knows bad beats and crazy outdraws happen live and online. The point that has been made in this forum many times over many months is the FREQUENCY with which IT APPEARS that action hands are dealt. The reason why this is done, if it is done, has been discussed ad nauseum. When has an online poker site, including Sky, EVER published statistics to show that the deal is, effectively, "random"? Never. The only time statistics are ever produced is in cases such as the Ultimate Bet case when there was a group of insiders cheating by looking at all the other players' hole cards. Of course, in that case the statistics proved that something was wrong and not that all was OK. All we get is a certificate from an obscure regulator based in a tax haven. Also, operating procedures do not confirm anywhere that the card generated by the rng is the same card that is delivered to the virtual table.
    Posted by Seagull158
    could it possibly be due to the fact that sky are on 3 million plus hands and counting..

do a little test(and im being serious,not my usual windup self)
    jot down how many bad beats,boring,and held up hands you see in the next two nights and you will see that as mant non hands appear as action/bad beats hands do.....
  • edited July 2011
    Whenever do the live card room give solid evidence the Dealers aren't corrupt, have players on the table they are in System with...... junk responses lol.... you really are unreal
  • edited July 2011
    Thats the point and the only point I'm making chirpy.

If you actually read my post properly you'll see I never say that online poker is rigged, you'll see that through a combination of factors I no longer play, from my subjective view.

Yes card live card rooms can be equally rigged.  But a person asking about it, discussing similar experiences with peers is perfectly acceptable.  Many live dodgy practises have been brought to light in this way.  But if a person asks questions in a similar way regarding online they are shunted to 51, treated with derision and endlessly mocked.  That is the point I raised.  How did UB scandal come to light?.....

Yet as always people selectively see it as an attack on online, which it so clearly wasnt.  It was a reflection on how people are treated for voicing concerns about things that dont seem right.

And yes, I am purely tired of the same circular discussions, people repeating easyly quoted industry propaganda that they dont understand!  HPH, harder easier, without really understanding what they are saying, simply repeating easy justifications.

Thing is despite serious corruption and fraud from ground up in the worlds leading poker site, people are still as unwilling as ever to think for themselves, or be un nerved.

My post had nothing to do with bad beats and outdraws, yet a flow of justifications have flowed as a defence following it.  People unsheathe their weapons in an argument they dont understand.
  • edited July 2011
    Just tired of wasting my breath. Pure selective vision.  Same thoughtless junk responses.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Ditto
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : could it possibly be due to the fact that sky are on 3 million plus hands and counting.. do a little test(and im being serious,not my usual windup self) jot down how many bad beats,boring,and held up hands you see in the next two nights and you will see that as mant non hands appear as action/bad beats hands do.....
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Actually 3 billion and counting, not 3 million, and, therefore. more than enough history to produce a set of properly validated statistics to prove that everything is above board, or not.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Actually 3 billion and counting, not 3 million, and, therefore. more than enough history to produce a set of properly validated statistics to prove that everything is above board, or not.
    Posted by Seagull158
    we are both way off...i meant to say 300 million and its 390 million and counting:)......but what statistic do you mean......how many hands have lost on the river/when in front/to runner runner e.t.c?
     like i said keep your own tally.....i used to be convinced my aa/kk
    "always lost" but i kept a chart(very sad) for a month of only premium hands and yes aa lost a few times but the big hands do actually hold up the right percentage of time,....in my experiance
    gl.dave
  • edited July 2011
             ok ,im gonna add my ten pence worth ...................first of all i want to distance myself completley from (online poker is fixed theory) but i would  like a few answers to some of the goings on that i have seen over the years online .                 a year ago i was on ps , it was 180 seater sng ,a player going allin every hand ,and winning every hand ,the whole final table was up in arms about it in the chat box ,and this player won it .no chat from the winning player .................i closed my account after seeing that .....                                                                     2 or 3 years ago ,here on sky ,another player going allin every hand ,and winning ,im sure some of you remember?                it was the velocity tourney ,again the chat box was on overdrive ,and this player went on to win it ,               these r just 2 occasions that i would like answered ,and obviously ,you have got to understand why some players don't think online is legit.            also ,i find there are hot seats ,theres always one player on the table ,who just cannot lose ,no matter how bad they play ,this is what i call a hot seat ,and this player should be avoided at all costs .                           i tryed this out on here (sky)at 2p 4p cash ,,,,,,i got a hot seat ,sunday morning ,a few months back and put my theory to the test...............i called every hand with any 2 cards ,if i missed the flop i folded ,but if i hit a piece of it i called ,,,,,,pot size bets n all ................run £4 up to £70 playing like the biggest fish uve ever seen :)    hitting two pair on the turn or river ,runner runner str8 ,runner runner flush ,u name it i got there ........i still play on here ,but some times ,u run so bad ,u know its best to just not play ,your never gonna win anything in this run bad period ..................varience ,call it what u like ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when u play long enough ,on certain games ,things can become predictable
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : we are both way off...i meant to say 300 million and its 390 million and counting:)......but what statistic do you mean......how many hands have lost on the river/when in front/to runner runner e.t.c?  like i said keep your own tally.....i used to be convinced my aa/kk "always lost" but i kept a chart(very sad) for a month of only premium hands and yes aa lost a few times but the big hands do actually hold up the right percentage of time,....in my experiance gl.dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    whoever tests the rng must do a series of statistical tests to "prove" the randomness (or otherwise) of the rng. 390 million hands is a big enough sample to run a thorough statistical analysis and publish the results. For instance, PP vs 2 overs, flush draw on turn, AA vs KK etc. etc.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : whoever tests the rng must do a series of statistical tests to "prove" the randomness (or otherwise) of the rng. 390 million hands is a big enough sample to run a thorough statistical analysis and publish the results. For instance, PP vs 2 overs, flush draw on turn, AA vs KK etc. etc.
    Posted by Seagull158

That is not how they test a RNG. Hands are not compared. They test the generation of numbers directly from the RNG not cards or hands. The number of hands played on a particular site is irrelevant.

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : That is not how they test a RNG. Hands are not compared. They test the generation of numbers directly from the RNG not cards or hands.
    Posted by elsadog
    Fine but that's not my point. 390 million hands is plenty to do a statistically valid analysis and show whether or not the hands dealt actually produce the results that yo uwould expect from a random deal.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: yes or no question..... : Fine but that's not my point. 390 million hands is plenty to do a statistically valid analysis and show whether or not the hands dealt actually produce the results that yo uwould expect from a random deal.
    Posted by Seagull158

I know what you meant. I was just clarifying it. 

Put a request in for that - I doubt you will ever get it though.

• edited July 2011
    Right, going to have to give my take on this.

First of all I think that anyone that thinks it's 100% either way is not thinking correctly. You used to think the world was flat and were insistent. You used to consider the very idea of germs as being the thoughts of mad men. However convinced you are you have to at least consider the possibilty you're wrong. This is what made Socrates the mighty mind he was. And H!tler something different.

So, could it be rigged? I'm no computing expert. I'm no Math expert. So, a logarithim that could please the top boys, keep the newbies depositing and keep the regs coming back? I think it would be tough. But could probably just about be done. My mate's high up in computing in a blue chip company (not poker) and I'm awaiting his reply to this (he's on holiday) but don't think he'll argue much.

So, would they rig it? I think it's minimal the extra profit they could even make. But multi conglomerate businesses have been built on small percentages. It's possible.

But would they? In face of the amount of people that would have to be complicit, compared to the small percentage extra they'd make, I have to say it seems improbable to me.

And the top players have built themselves up to be the top players. So where does the logarithm kick in there?

And I've played live often and have seen crazy things happen time and again. AA vs 7-2 loses about 1 in 10. That's the extreme and even that's not that many really. And people have a tendency to remember the big ones. I've seen hundreds of thousands of fold, fold, raise fold, fold hands.

So, to surmise : Yes, it could be. But hugely unlikely in my humble opinion.

Not yes or no AmyBr mate, but threads go of on tangents. That be the internet ;-)
  • edited July 2011
    Right, going to have to give my take on this. First of all I think that anyone that thinks it's 100% either way is not thinking correctly. You used to think the world was flat and were insistent. You used to consider the very idea of germs as being the thoughts of mad men. However convinced you are you have to at least consider the possibilty you're wrong. This is what made Socrates the mighty mind he was. And H!tler something different. So, could it be rigged? I'm no computing expert. I'm no Math expert. So, a logarithim that could please the top boys, keep the newbies depositing and keep the regs coming back? I think it would be tough. But could probably just about be done. My mate's high up in computing in a blue chip company (not poker) and I'm awaiting his reply to this (he's on holiday) but don't think he'll argue much. So, would they rig it? I think it's minimal the extra profit they could even make. But multi conglomerate businesses have been built on small percentages. It's possible. But would they? In face of the amount of people that would have to be complicit, compared to the small percentage extra they'd make, I have to say it seems improbable to me. And the top players have built themselves up to be the top players. So where does the logarithm kick in there? And I've played live often and have seen crazy things happen time and again. AA vs 7-2 loses about 1 in 10. That's the extreme and even that's not that many really. And people have a tendency to remember the big ones. I've seen hundreds of thousands of fold, fold, raise fold, fold hands. So, to surmise : Yes, it could be. But hugely unlikely in my humble opinion. Not yes or no AmyBr mate, but threads go of on tangents. That be the internet ;-)
    Posted by bandini

I think this is probably the kind of thinking process that AMYBR has in mind. Be open to all possibilities and try to form your opinion from what you know not what someone has rammed down your throat because it suited their own ends.

If we look at the points bandini makes then some things are obvious and some not so obvious. His first question is can it be done and he thinks it might be possible. if anyone would like to know the answer to that then just go onto any casino site and play the poker slots or blackjack. The programs for these are designed and  produced by the same people that provide the poker software, they are regulated by the same people, licensed by the same authorities and the certificates of conformity issued by the same companies.

The same things happen live as bandini says. What is difficult to determine is the regularity and distribution of those outdraws Until all hand histories for all players are made available that will never be a known fact. If a given hand is expected to outdraw another as bandini says 1 in 10 times then it would be a poor programmer that would include it at say 3 in 10 wouldn't it. If any manipulation was taking place then the first requisite would be that it is lifelike and stands up to modest scrutiny.

The last point is whether or not it's worth manipulating it. Understanding the reasons isn't simple and the statement that they would make enough profit without doing it or it's not worth it just shows that most people have little or no understanding of business. Some of the biggest businesses and organisations flout the law in order to increase profits. Banks have mis-sold protection insurance for years to increase profits. Insurance companies illegally give out details of people involved in accidents to claims chasers and receive payment for that information, which then results in claims which increase our premiums. Even the Police give out this information to receive payment. Large Utility providers intentionally allow customers to underpay for gas and electricity for years so that they find it impossible to change supplier and reduce their bills. I could list dozens of ways that large companies extract extra profits and maintain their customer bases and most are borderline legal or illegal. So would poker sites dare to do something that increased or sustained their customer base and increased the rake if it were made available to them? The track record of large companies says they would, or at least some would.

So is internet poker rigged somehow. I don't know and may never know but when people state that they have no doubts whatsoever that it's legitimate then I have to disagree with them. There have been many requests for poker sites to make a statement saying that there is no interference in the random dealing of cards. No site has come forward with that. Instead they state that the RNG is tested and conforms and that they are regulated and that is not the same.

• edited July 2011
    Well sais Elsa.

The only thing I would add, highlighted from bandii's post, is the small extra margin of profit.  This is a huge oversimplification IMO.

FTR we are simply talking speculation here.

When we talk of online (in general) having the potential to be rigged/corrupt the small profit margin is very far down my list of motives.  Much higher are customer retention and providing a system that keeps people teetering over an invisible line.  So saying that small profit for high risk becomes meaningless.  We are talking of a product potentially designed at source to fulfill larger criteria, in terms of how action plays as a whole.

I try not to get bogged down in the online vs live BB discussion.  Because to say BB's happen live is obvious and just provides discardable rationale.

Also ftr My thoughts and opinion are simply that, mine.  I didnt post with the intention of un nerving or convincing anyone of my opinion.  What I did want was for people to realise that asking questions is FINE, and shouldnt result in the abuse that is thrown at people.

I've left this subject alone for a long time, but I simply got fed up of people attacking question askers and repeating industry lines that hold LESS TRUTH THAN EVER.

• edited July 2011
    I have come to the conclusion that we can debate this question for ever, but get no result. as with religion or politics. the only benefit of this thread is as a management tool for sky to analyze feelings on all sorts of issues to help their business. they could if they wished stop all the arguments on if the site is rigged or not by publishing a copy of the regulations for everyone to read. after al they are not a trade secret are they ?. if there are set regulations for dealing cards online, then show them. we would then at least have a bench mark to follow to decide if a site is rigged or not