You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary"

Comments

• edited September 2016

Sorry to hear you are under the weather JJ. Make sure you are well enough (and fit enough) though to do this 'little jog' on Sunday. If you aren't, just defer it to another time. Like poker is a never ending game, you will have plenty of opportunities to fulfil your challenge in future events, if you don't make it this w/end. Don't get yourself stressed about it all. Chill and get better soonest.

....At least the diet is going well this week ;)
  • edited September 2016

That's pretty bad news JJ.

The experts will know better than me, but imo, you can't possibly attempt it if you are dehydrated, it would be positively dangerous & really not terribly bright.

There are plenty more marathons. It'd be awful to attempt this one whilst unwell & then fail for health reasons. Nobody will think any less of you for swerving this one. If you try it & fail, for health reasons, it'll be on that CV in your mind forever - I failed.

Fingers crossed you recover in time, but this week, next week, next month - it makes no difference. You WILL do one & you WILL succeed. It does not have to be this weekend.

• edited September 2016
    Agree with the gents above. Don't stress, JJ, just make sure you're fit and well before attempting a run.
  • edited September 2016
    I agree with the others who have replied. Don't run if you're not up to it. You need to be hydrated and eating again. None of your sponsors will mind if you have to defer to another race on a future date due to illness or injury.

However, the timing might not be as bad as you think. Keep your options open. I know somebody who was similarly ill until the Saturday lunchtime before this years London Marathon. She was all set to throw in the towel, but didn't feel too bad when she woke on the Sunday morning so made a last minute decision to run anyway, albeit with much reduced expectations. She beat her PB by 7 minutes. It's funny the effect an enforced rest can have on you sometimes.
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    I agree with the others who have replied. Don't run if you're not up to it. You need to be hydrated and eating again. None of your sponsors will mind if you have to defer to another race on a future date due to illness or injury. However, the timing might not be as bad as you think. Keep your options open. I know somebody who was similarly ill until the Saturday lunchtime before this years London Marathon. She was all set to throw in the towel, but didn't feel too bad when she woke on the Sunday morning so made a last minute decision to run anyway, albeit with much reduced expectations. She beat her PB by 7 minutes. It's funny the effect an enforced rest can have on you sometimes.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

If you're in ANY doubt I'd say postpone it. 
    Altho, a bit like Gary says I've had some of my best runs when I've felt terrible 12/24 hours before.  
    Whatever you decide, folks won't mind.  Unlike Gary & I,  you've got yuff on your side! ;-)

• edited September 2016
    and even if you do postpone it I can guarantee that you have delivered way more than us doubting Thomases believed possible - so you are a winner in our eyes regardless. (PS please don't run if still unwell)
  • edited September 2016

We all seem to be of similar mind.

None of us give a hoot if you defer it to another time.

The pledges all remain valid.

Swerving it due to health is NOT a fail, it's a plus for common sense.

There is only one imperative here for me, & it's not even close. If you are dehydrated, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE RUN. It is dangerous, very dangerous, dehydration can be a very very serious matter in some circumstances, & that includes running extreme distances.

You can be very proud of all those battles you have won, with alcohol, weight, fitness, lifestyle, da de da. That won't be altered one iota, jot or tickle if the run is postponed for a week or two.

• edited September 2016

Thanks guys, I couldn;t get on to read/reply to the comments yesterday as I felt worse throughout the day again. Last evening was not fun at all, but I've had a solid 12 hour sleep and again feel abit more hopeful this morning.

Alan was right about the diet.

I know this is not good at all, but I've lost 6 lbs in the last 72 hours.

Weight now 14st 8lbs from 19st 8lbs on New yrs day, 5 stone/70lbs hype!

----

I'm pleased to hear the stories from Gary/Pad/Chilling about people recovering from illness and still being able to run. 

It gives me hope that the dream, is still, still alive <3

Hoping I can eat somewhere close to a normal amount and veriety of food today, and then absolutely stuff my face tomorrow and if i can get close to 85/90% by Sunday morning im going for it. 

I know the achievement wont be lessened if I postpone it a week but I had the goal date and id love to get there after 16 months of preparing.

But I wont be silly xxxx

-----

Thanks to Chris (?) for his generous donation yesterday, there was no clue in the message he left about his alias but he mentioned my sky poker blog. 

Very very kind my friend, and it gave me a big lift yesterday afternoon to see another one of those amazing emails saying someone had supported my page.

Thank you buddy. 

----

Above £400 now, not far to go <3

• edited September 2016
    We are On!

I think......

95% certain I'm going to make the start line tomorrow and give it ago.

Yestersday was a better day, I managed to pop out for half an hour and also eat a little more, had some eggs and abit of pasta. 

Last night was uncomfortable to say the least but I think my body flushed the last of the nastyness out of my system and now I have a day to refuel the best I can ready for tomorrow. 

So lets give this thing a go <3 

Starting to get excited again.

What's one more obsticle, just makes that feeling of crossing the finish line all the more sweeter. (if i get there)

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn xxxx

--------

I have about £20-25 of offline donations to add, so I think I'm within a hundred quid of hitting my goal.

It's an excellent result regardless, but I'd love to hit that magical number. 

Sickness stopped play on the card table so fiver on United 2-1 to win a fifty to go on the total. 

Have a great Saturday y'all xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• edited September 2016
    Great news, good luck for tomorrow.
  • edited September 2016
    Great news. All the best for tomorrow
  • edited September 2016
    Good luck! I'm confident you'll be triamphant and win the race. If at any time you drop to 2nd just pop on the Captain Chaos outfit and then blow 'em away. "Dun dun duuuuunnn" :)

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    We are On! I think...... 95% certain I'm going to make the start line tomorrow and give it ago. Yestersday was a better day, 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    GREAT NEWS & not totally unexpected.
    OH and by the way... ya won't sleep much tonite & will have about 3 x alarms set. ;-)

Bit of advice...IGNORE everyone else on start line & DON'T start too fast.  MOST, if not all runners start out too fast and DIE in the latter stages.  If you follow this advice you'll be amazed how many folk you'll pass in the last mile or two.

p.s. ENJOY the run. 

• edited September 2016
    Very best of luck for tomorrow.  Try your best to enjoy it!

Matt
  • edited September 2016
  • edited September 2016

Thanks all for the good wishes. 

Another excellent day of support has got me totally hyped for tomorrow now.

Was going to give an assessment of where I'm at preperation wise and how I'm feeling but as I started typing I realised it's probably not the best idea. 

Only positive thoughts, lfg !!! 

I cannot wait, that finishing line, WHEN I get there is going to be amazing  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are within 40 quid of the goal, with 12 hours left. 

Can 

We 

Get

Thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

:) 

In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : GREAT NEWS & not totally unexpected. OH and by the way... ya won't sleep much tonite & will have about 3 x alarms set. ;-) Bit of advice...IGNORE everyone else on start line &  DON'T start too fast.  MOST, if not all runners start out too fast and DIE in the latter stages.  If you follow this advice you'll be amazed how many folk you'll pass in the last mile or two. p.s. ENJOY the run. 
    Posted by Glenelg

Great advice as always Pad, consistant till the end in that regard :)

The bolded bit is something I'd probably have glossed over had I not had the 10k experience but it's really good advice. 

It was an intimidating place going up from the parkrun (which was once intimidating in itself) to the 10k. And now stepping up again I expect the same sort of feeling.

Earphones/music are allowed at this event (banned @ the 10k) and will help me out with the nerves. 

Dido always sorts the mental game out ;)

• edited September 2016

The BIG DAY has arrived.

Good luck today fella.

To you, it matters that you finish. To me, & I suspect most of us, we don't really care a hoot, we are just so immensely pleased about how you have turned your life round in so many ways.

The real race is already run, & won, today is all bonus.

A really uplifting story, this. 

GL GL

• edited September 2016
    ^ Well said, Sir.

All the best, JJ.

• edited September 2016

So much to write!

But first the important stuff, 

Thank yous....

Chilling & Doc for overnight donations taking me upto and beyond my goal setting target.

Thank you so much both, and to everyone else who has helped me to get there. 

I was reluctant at first to go for it, but the support has been in-saneeeeeee. I was expecting (and prepared) to throw in 250-300 myself to reach the goal, but the support has gone way past what I expected, from thread and forum regulars and part timers to people I've never heard of and didn't even know followed the thread. 

Thanks so so much to everyone for everything, from myself and everyone at the Mayflower Sanctury in Doncaster. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also thank you to TK (and the bonk +1) for the very kind words above.

You've both 'known' me from my very first day on sky poker, and have seen me at my worst and at some pretty shocking low points. 

Without sounding too cliche'/soppy theres not alot I can do about the millions of mistakes I've made during that time, can only make sure the future is different 

The comments mean alot, thank you.

------------

The Morning !

Unreal sequence of events tbh.

I woke feeling ok, very tired but come on what's new. 

The stomach felt a little iffy but settle at least.

For now.

Roll on a cup of tea, a citolorpram, 1 spoonful of porridge and 30 minutes later and I need the toilet. 

Standard.

1 more minute I need the toilet again. 

Not so Standard but it happens.

Again...

Again...

Again....

5 times inside 5 minutes.

And apologies to anyone eating their dinner in the next hour or so but it really was eye of a needle stuff.

ugh. 

That's ok....

8am and time to set off for a steady 40 min drive to arrive 45 mins before the start.

Nope.

Car wont start. 

Well it will but it wont move. 

Panic again. 

Oil top up, fiddly stuff under the bonnet, praying to the mechanic gods, dunno which one of them worked but 25 mins later we were off. 

It's ok we allowed for plenty of time. 

Everything on course now.

Approaching the race start, huge backlog of traffic. 

Come onnnnnn.

Sat there stressing about my fitness, my preperation, my guts, the heartburn that'd starded suddenly, my nerves, and now I'm sat in a huge static traffic jam watching people who've gotten out their cars running past me in their proper gear to make it on time.

I DONT HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY FOR 13 MILES NEVERMIND 14. ffs. 

It ok, we're moving now, and we arrive @ 9.25 for a scheduled 9.30 start. 

But many others in the same boat, so news of a slightly delayed start was welcome, 20 mins to get my number and warm up.

Number gotten. 

Warm up?

Guts have other ideas.

8 mins till the race starts and i have to decide between a proper stretch or a visit to the toilets.

Not really a choice given my preperation, show me the portaloos xxxx

Start Line, finally. 

AMAZING.

HUGEEEE field of runners, absolutely massive. The noise!!! From the conversations, literally made the atmosphere buzzing. 

Its just a shame I couldn't enjoy it a little more, get there earlier and feeling good about the race ahead rather than full of doubts and fear. 

But still a great experience. 

----

THE RUN. 

Absolutely fine. 

Ran every inch of the 13.2miles and abit more on top for good measure. 

I was surprised at how many people didn't run the whole distance btw. So many people using a walk/run strategy, in the early stages i overtook and was re-overtaken by 1 chap like 10/15 times. 

And towards the end i was jogging past so so many people who just looked like they were having a walk in the park chatting to their mates. 

Like they ran as much as they could then walked the rest? :/ 

Anyway we got there, in 1 piece, without any accidents or stoppages. 

I expected to be way way more emotional than I was at the finishing line but I was just so exhausted and relieved to have gotten there that none of that kind of thing has kicked in yet. Hopefully it will. 

-----

My time was around 2h35minutes I believe. 

Which to me means nothing, I'd rather run it all in 3 hours than walk/run it in 2. 

The goal when I decided to face up to and tackle my alcoholism, depression, obesity, agorophobia and anxiety back in May 2015 was to run a half marathon by Great North Run day (11th Sept) 2016.

And I did it :) 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• edited September 2016
    Many congratulations JJ, you're an inspiration to us all.

Just one gripe though. Please stop calling yourself obese. You're not even overweight so if you class yourself as obese then I must be on the verge of a heart attack or stroke!

Well done again mate, huge achievement!
  • edited September 2016
  • edited September 2016
    Pretty awesome!!  Well done!
  • edited September 2016
    uplifting what a story well done sir
  • edited September 2016
    Fantastic, very well done. Amazing achievement, hope the buzz you must feel lasts for days.

• edited September 2016
    Awesome achievement JJ, 
    I have no doubt that your'e feeling very proud of yourself, 
    and so you should. Very well done mate , 
    GOAL!
  • edited September 2016
    Massive congrats JJ
    The achievement, not just today, but since the very first day you decided to do something about your life can never be over stated. It truly is an inspiring story. From not being able play 2 minutes of darts without needing a lie down to running a full half marathon in such a short space of time is incredible. To do all that while still suffering with extreme fatigue issues is astounding. I've spoke to you pretty much every day throughout and know how tough a lot of the days are with the tiredness, it's took a lot of strength to power through. 

Truly epic day after a truly epic journey and a journey that helped inspire me to change aspects of my life along the way with you so thanks. Well played again pal and congrats. Enjoy it. 
  • edited September 2016
    Brilliant stuff, very well done :)
  • edited September 2016
    Awwwesome!

Can't congratulate you enough. Some of those challenges you've mentioned I can fully associate with, and I can only admire what you've achieved in overcoming them. 

Seriously well done. And when people ask "Do you run?" you can confidently answer "Big time!".

Anyway, I'm becoming distracted by a picture of french fries on your links.

I hope won by the way? I had a few quid on it......

And I'm sure James has forgotten :)

• edited September 2016
    Echo all positive sentiments above, truly an amazing and inspirational achievement. Best wishes for the rest of your journey, keep up the good work.
  • edited September 2016
    Wow, what an amazing achievement. Absolutely mind blowing to think where you were 12-18 months ago compared to now.

What's the next challenge then?