You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Bell has 355, ajwolves has 1080.

Dudeskin8Small blind 200.00200.00950.00
broke201Big blind 400.00600.009015.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

bell02399Fold    
ajwolves14Fold    
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited December 2011
    With only 2 bb I would shove this as you only have one oppo and a very playable hand. Broke will fold so that he does not have to worry about u doubling up and then all 3 of you have a pop at Bell.
  • edited December 2011
    this has to be a fold right ???
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I fold and let the BB go through Bell next hand. 

lol, must feel weird for you in DYM's folding here. This is why i struggle at DYM's but yeah its a clear fold.
  • edited December 2011
    fold, limp in next hand
  • edited December 2011
    stick it in, your enough ahead )

no guarentee bell will go out and you have 2 bigs, nothing to think about

seriously folding here imo is just not good

letting yourself blind down to 2 big is terrible tbh )

DYM at the end like this are just yuk, horrible !

FOLD !!
    Calling range = any2, you need to shove AA/KK only ::::()
  • edited December 2011
    the fact ppl are saying this is a fold is shocking! yep i totally understand its a dym & it could possibly be the correct move BUT this aint poker!! this sort of format will never help you improve your game! my advice would be stop playin em, play cash, mtts or even HU. this is the worst type of holdem poker there is imo
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold?:
    the fact ppl are saying this is a fold is shocking! yep i totally understand its a dym & it could possibly be the correct move BUT this aint poker!! this sort of format will never help you improve your game! my advice would be stop playin em, play cash, mtts or even HU. this is the worst type of holdem poker there is imo
    Posted by potattoooo
    This post gets a massive +1 from me , oh and shove dude
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by potattoooo

what r we sposed to do, deliberately give o.p duff advice to punish him for playing a dym?

• edited December 2011
    With only 2 bb I would shove this as you only have one oppo and a very playable hand. Broke will fold so that he does not have to worry about u doubling up and then all 3 of you have a pop at Bell.
    Posted by gracie24
    Broke is never folding this unless he is an idiot, he has 9k chipis, so he'd be calling with any 1 hole card let alone 2.

It's one of those hands where you have to fold even though it's so pretty :/
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : what r we sposed to do, deliberately give o.p duff advice to punish him for playing a dym?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    may aswell, you gave him duff advice about limpin HU x
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by potattoooo
    late contender for wost clinic reply of the year....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : may aswell, you gave him duff advice about limpin HU x
    Posted by potattoooo
    u don't like limping alot of your range on the button early in shallow stacked micro HU turbo games against loose passive players?

we don't have much fold equity do we? :s

giv it a shot, might help ur roi ;)
  • edited December 2011
    easiest fold ever posted in any forum
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : late contender for wost clinic reply of the year....
    Posted by SHANXTA
    yeah coz all the greats are grinding away on DYM tables lol. I think my advice about droppin this type of format & playin cash, HU or MTTs is pretty sound tbh. depends on type of player you are, the OP seems to post quite a bit & obv wants to get better, he wont get better playing DYM, if anything it will make it worse.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : u don't like limping alot of your range on the button early in shallow stacked micro HU turbo games against loose passive players? we don't have much fold equity do we? :s giv it a shot, might help ur roi ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    1) no id prefer to raise & play bigger pots IP against loose passive players

2) why are we taking about micro HU turbo games? when was the word turbo ever used in his OP

3) LOL my ROI is perfectly fine thx, ive had 1 drunken session on sky xmas eve (you should know, we played each other about 10x - sure i slightly edged it? may be wrong! you were a tough opponent tho tbh. as for other games i played i ran pretty shockin tbf

your a very good HU player & im sure you have alot more experience than i do (ive only been playing the game about 6-7 months) but id happily play you at some point, rather than hypers, play a bit deeper? or HU cash? just make sure you keep limpin the btn
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : yeah coz all the greats are grinding away on DYM tables lol. I think my advice about droppin this type of format & playin cash, HU or MTTs is pretty sound tbh. depends on type of player you are, the OP seems to post quite a bit & obv wants to get better, he wont get better playing DYM, if anything it will make it worse.
    Posted by potattoooo
    pretty certain all the great aint playin small stakes HU sit n go's as well tbf

OP used to play cash, and has switched to DYM's and has posted looking for DYM advice, for which you seem incapable, maybe to be successful in DYM's requires mathematical knowledge beyond your level

why do you believe players can't improve playing dym's, your views seem in-experienced 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : pretty certain all the great aint playin small stakes HU sit n go's as well tbf OP used to play cash, and has switched to DYM's and has posted looking for DYM advice, for which you seem incapable, maybe to be successful in DYM's requires mathematical knowledge beyond your level why do you believe players can't improve playing dym's, your views seem in-experienced 
    Posted by SHANXTA
    what a shame! just when it looked like i was gonna win worst post of the year award, this popped up!! wp sir wp

& the bit ive bolded LMAO!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : 1) no id prefer to raise & play bigger pots IP against loose passive players 2) why are we taking about micro HU turbo games? when was the word turbo ever used in his OP 3) LOL my ROI is perfectly fine thx, ive had 1 drunken session on sky xmas eve (you should know, we played each other about 10x - sure i slightly edged it? may be wrong! you were a tough opponent tho tbh. as for other games i played i ran pretty shockin tbf your a very good HU player & im sure you have alot more experience than i do (ive only been playing the game about 6-7 months) but id happily play you at some point, rather than hypers, play a bit deeper? or HU cash? just make sure you keep limpin the btn
    Posted by potattoooo
    1 - coz that's what hes playing to start with, £1.05 games.

2 - twice. in reference to normal turbos, and hyper turbos, as those r the games he's planning on playing.

3 - bet I was drunker :P

4 - you're not a clueless fishy loose passive player, so I wouldn't often limp the button against u.

re-read the hu specific thread n continue this on there if u still think my advice to dudeskin about limping is bad.

• edited December 2011
    the fact ppl are saying this is a fold is shocking!
    yep i totally understand its a dym & it could possibly be the correct move BUT this aint poker!!
    this sort of format will never help you improve your game! my advice would be stop playin em, play cash, mtts or even HU. this is the worst type of holdem poker there is imo
    Posted by potattoooo
    Personaly I think DYM's are great to improve tactics for Tourneys.

Cash games are a complete different case - It is so often highlighted that Cash v Tourney need totaly different play styles.  

The aim of achieving money in a Tourney is to make success in to the top x players (survive past the bubble.)

If you can play DYM where you need to make the top 3 to cash, then IMO very similar remit?

Yes you may need to adjust a little to ensure you keep building a chip stack to survive, but the basics are closer than Cash games.

Also: Your "BUT this aint poker!!" comment is complete garbage.
    Most people that play at home for fun with family and friends round the table will be playing a style closer to DYM than Cash!!

I regular play a table game where £5 stake each and winner takes all (DYM style play is closer to achieving this)
    As players crash out, your aim is to remain bigger stacked than other players and win chips as and where you can. Taking risks (as people do in Cash) does not help.

Just thought I'd put in my Twenny Pence worth... :-)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : Personaly I think DYM's are great to improve tactics for Tourneys. Cash games are a complete different case - It is so often highlighted that Cash v Tourney need totaly different play styles.   The aim of achieving money in a Tourney is to make success in to the top x players (survive past the bubble.) If you can play DYM where you need to make the top 3 to cash, then IMO very similar remit? Yes you may need to adjust a little to ensure you keep building a chip stack to survive, but the basics are closer than Cash games. Also: Your "BUT this aint poker!!" comment is complete garbage. Most people that play at home for fun with family and friends round the table will be playing a style closer to DYM than Cash!! I regular play a table game where £5 stake each and winner takes all (DYM style play is closer to achieving this) As players crash out, your aim is to remain bigger stacked than other players and win chips as and where you can. Taking risks (as people do in Cash) does not help. Just thought I'd put in my Twenny Pence worth... :-)
    Posted by Twenny_P
    I disagree with pretty much all that, although its probable dyms may help some facets of your game

Winner takes all should have a completely different style to a dym, as should most multi table tournaments where prizes are nearly always top heavy
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : I disagree with pretty much all that, although its probable dyms may help some facets of your game Winner takes all should have a completely different style to a dym, as should most multi table tournaments where prizes are nearly always top heavy
    Posted by grantorino
    cheers saved me replying! I cant think of anything in DYM that will help your game tho tbh, but ill leave it at that, seem to be gettin ppls backs up a bit!
  • edited December 2011
    that,s the great thing about poker
    there is a diferent game for everyone.

as a small stake micro cash player
    i thought i,d try some dym after coming across john connor,s
    "abc of dym,s" purely by accident.

what a great move it turned out to be,

i,ve won £144 since the 19 november 2011
    and that includes a week off not playing!

so "the fools"that "dis" dym,s

think again
  • edited December 2011
    u got ak and u are posting if u should shove or not it is shocking really no matter what the structure is 
  • edited December 2011
    Pretty sure this is a fold. 
  • edited December 2011
    u got ak and u are posting if u should shove or not it is shocking really no matter what the structure is 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    it's a DYM so it's a clear fold
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AKs in SB w/2bbs Shove or Fold? : it's a DYM so it's a clear fold
    Posted by SHANXTA
    shocking but it is a fold
  • edited December 2011
    Am i misreading this or are people actually considering folding AKs in an unopened unlimped pot from the small blind 4handed with 2BB?! Thats way way way too nitty to fold here. Jesus, if you're waiting for Aces Vs Kings in a DYM on the bubble, gl with that...
    Any tournament for that matter, at any stage this is a horrible fold. Funnily enough, playing in a live tournament a few months ago i raised UTG folded AKos when we were 13handed and 12 got paid. When a pro at the table heard id folded AK, he went ballistic. So Im not saying that Ak is never foldable, of course it is. But here its just truly awful to fold it. If youre not willing to gamble 2BB in a touney people will walk all over you. No one has ever won a tournament without gambling. So i get that in a dym you dont set out to win, but rather finish in the top 50% but long term thats just plain wrong. You might cash this DYM but if faced with this situation 100 times it defo the right thing to shove every time and accept that variance will do its work. End of.